ADVERTISEMENT

LUCAS: DIFFERENCE MAKER...

reggaeheel

Sophomore
Apr 6, 2003
CH
LUCAS: DIFFERENCE MAKER...

BLACKSBURG—Caleb Love had the game-sealing free throws, converting six of six in the game's final minute.

Armando Bacot had the double-double, doing all of his scoring work in the second half on the way to 12 points and 15 rebounds and getting the better of Keve Aluma in what Aluma seemed very interested in making a personal battle.

Those players will get most of the attention from Carolina's must-have 65-57 win at Virginia Tech, and there is one Tar Heel who will be completely fine with them getting that attention.

So say this quietly, and let's keep it between us: Carolina doesn't win that game without Leaky Black.

It began in the first half, when Virginia Tech was trying to ride the momentum from a sellout, blackout crowd. Even with a home game still left to play, the Hokies made this one Senior Day just to ensure they had every possible shred of intangibles in their favor.

The students in the end zone finished off "Enter Sandman" a cappella in the game's opening minute and never got quiet after that. Their energy helped push the Hokies to a 22-16 lead with eight minutes left in the first half, the expected opening surge on an emotional day.

It would turn out to be their biggest lead of the day. It was Black who cut into it. Keep in mind, a big early deficit frequently derails this Carolina team. Let the lead get to ten, watch a couple of Hokie three-pointers fall, and the Tar Heels would have been in trouble.

Black wouldn't let it happen. First he grabbed a defensive rebound and pushed the ball aggressively, turning it into a couple of made free throws. Then he grabbed a steal from Justyn Mutts and turned it into a fast break three-point play, immediately almost eliminating the Tech lead.

Not content to have the biggest sequence of the first half, he almost may have done it in the second half. This time, Carolina was holding a narrow seven-point advantage that felt even tighter. The crowd was chanting things that undoubtedly made Dick Vitale blush. The old barn was shaking.

Caleb Love missed a three-pointer, and Aluma snagged the rebound. For a second, he did. But then Black wrestled it away from him.

The extra possession—on a day when Tech attempted 15 more shots than the Tar Heels—proved beneficial when RJ Davis made a gorgeous dish to Brady Manek for what felt like a back-breaking dunk.

The impressive part of Black's performance is that he would have been a difference-maker even without any of the above plays. His defensive effort was central to Carolina holding Virginia Tech, one of the best three-point shooting teams in the country, to a 5-for-26 performance from the arc. It was Black who logged most of the minutes on Hunter Cattoor, shooting a crisp 45.1 percent from the three-point line on the season, who finished 1-for-6 from three.

That effort was best personified by the Hokie possession with two minutes remaining. Down 55-48, Virginia Tech very clearly wanted to get the ball to Cattoor, with Mutts setting a pair of screens for him that Black fought through and then Darius Maddox trying to set up Cattoor with a dribble handoff designed to either get Cattoor a clean look or give him an alley for penetration. But Black shut down the first option and then cut off the penetration, forcing Cattoor to give up on the play and fire it to Maddox, who stepped out of bounds for a key turnover.

Black did absolutely nothing on that possession that shows up on the stat sheet. But he was the reason the Hokies didn't score, and that's the type of effort Hubert Davis has been talking about with Black for most of the season.

Leaky Black isn't going to win ACC Defensive Player of the Year, because that honor frequently goes to a player with impressive shot blocking statistics—a measurable category—and Mark Williams fits that description this year. "Blew up a designed play" isn't really something that smoothly fits into a voting packet, but Black should absolutely make the All-ACC Defensive team. Game after game he's taking the defensive assignment against the opponent's most talented wing player. He's rarely coming out of the game—he played 34 minutes on Saturday, the eighth time in the last nine contests he's reached that total. You hope that Carolina's set of young wings, including Dontrez Styles and Puff Johnson, are watching the way Black impacts the game and filing away the knowledge that later in their careers they'll be able to make a difference in games even on days their shots aren't falling.

This is exactly the way Black likes it. Not too much attention. Not the player of the game. He had to make a brief five-minute media appearance but spent part of that time answering questions about other players. This is a good night for Leaky Black.

The box score shows he was 1-for-4 with three rebounds against Virginia Tech. Not shown: he made winning plays. And Carolina likely doesn't win without him.

Another insightful article by Adam. Loved it!
It's been so great to see Leaky come into his own this year and be so sure of himself and his role out there - what a great job he's done disrupting the best players in the ACC. He's also such a great interview into giving an honest persepective on the team and where improvements are needed. I'm really holding out hope that just maybe he'd consider returning for a 5th season next year, but there's still some work left for this one.

Leaky has been very good the past few weeks. He does so many vital things well for this team. People tend to fixate on just the guy getting the bucket, or get stuck on personal feelings from previous takes on players, often from years back.

Leaky has been a rock in so many phases of winning basketball on a team who has had consistency issues in many of those areas. His shooting and scoring has ticked up, which is a bonus, but I agree with the article, Leaky has been great in his multiple roles throughout the year, even without filling up the scoring column. A great example for the young guys to learn from.

It's been so great to see Leaky come into his own this year and be so sure of himself and his role out there - what a great job he's done disrupting the best players in the ACC. He's also such a great interview into giving an honest persepective on the team and where improvements are needed. I'm really holding out hope that just maybe he'd consider returning for a 5th season next year, but there's still some work left for this one.
We may be in the minority on hoping Leaky returns, but I agree with you.

NOBODY and I mean NOBODY has been harder on Leaky Black's basketball game since he got into Carolina than I have. That being said, he's my favorite player on this team and there is no close 2nd. Any good basketball team needs a LEAKY BLACK type player on it. Wished I'd have jumped on the band wagon much much sooner!

Been on the Leaky bandwagon since Day 1!

I knew we would eventually see this version and bringing it out is another example of Hubs doing the right thing! Leaky has found both his niche AND his confidence! I have said all along that he just needs to focus on a few roles and find confidence in his shot. I really hope he decides to give us another year, but I will always remember him as the perfect example of a True Tar Heel!

We may be in the minority on hoping Leaky returns, but I agree with you.
Ditto.

Strangely, with his size, and athleticism, I believe he's a better pro prospect than a number of our current players who are planning to enter the draft this year. He's not a first round pick, and may not even get a second round look, but as a call-up option from the G-League, I believe Leaky will be able to fill a role on an NBA Roster.

Everyone talks about scoring, and Justin Jackson is scoring tons in the G-League, but niche-fillers are the players who're getting called up and sticking on NBA rosters.

OK, with all that said, I do hope he plays a fifth year and that Puff, Dontrez and Kerwin share the shooting guard/back-up small forward roles.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT