ADVERTISEMENT

Mack names 1st team QB

World’s largest crow. Better hope lil Carolina wins or you’ll have to eat that thing.

MNBELcrow2.jpg

search

BAZINGA! Did you come up with that one yourself?

Just stating facts... Nowhere in the Country besides Columba South Carolina are y’all recognized as USC or Carolina..USC is Southern Cal and Carolina is North Carolina and that is a fact...

End of the day all the pressure is on the Chickens to win this game as UNC is in a rebuilding mode...

Just stating facts... Nowhere in the Country besides Columba South Carolina are y’all recognized as USC or Carolina..USC is Southern Cal and Carolina is North Carolina and that is a fact...
Even the official Twitter account for their school is @UofSC, which delights me no end. I'd have y'all guess whose handle is @USC but you already know.

I grew up in a family of QB's and know how to watch film on QB's. Plus, it's not that hard to see how bad Howell's eye discipline is. It's bad on every play. He can't help but stare down wide receivers. He is not good at reading defenses.
15-24 (62.5%), 2 TDs, 0 INTs, QB Rating of 175.8.

hE iS nOt GoOd At ReAdInG dEfEnSeS

Would love to see @2k15 return
i visited some scar message boards out of curiosity. lots of major depression and "fire the coach" and boatloads of pain. but not one post anywhere that gave any credit to UNC, it was all "we beat ourselves." i've been a college football fan since 1965, and in all those years the fans, coaches, and players from scar have been disgusting.

i visited some scar message boards out of curiosity. lots of major depression and "fire the coach" and boatloads of pain. but not one post anywhere that gave any credit to UNC, it was all "we beat ourselves." i've been a college football fan since 1965, and in all those years the fans, coaches, and players from scar have been disgusting.
Their insider write-up states that it was a game they should've won 3 or 4 times...

Reactions: JimmyinVA
It is very, very uncommon to thrust a freshman QB into a situation like this, especially when you have two other options who are experienced, and are reportedly playing neck and neck with your true freshman. You should always ease a freshman QB into the college game as much as possible - it doesn't matter how highly they are ranked. If there is other experienced talent that can play, you should at least start that player in Game 1, and ease your true freshman into the experience.

Look at what Clemson did with Trevor Lawrence last year. Game 1, against an FCS opponent, they started their experienced QB over Lawrence, and have Lawrence limited playing time, which increased as the season went on. By halfway through the season, Swinney decided that Lawrence had fully settled in to college, and thus decided to start him. We are talking about a heisman level talent, but even he needed to be eased into the college game, simply because it's the right thing to do. Even if your true freshman QB is the best player in practice, you don't want inexperience to cost you games early in the season.

To me, this is a little alarming for UNC. I would much rather start Cade Fortin, who has the most experience, and let him at least play a drive or two, before I decide to put in a true freshman QB, especially in a game as big as this one. What UNC is deciding to do puts all the pressure on his shoulders, and he's never even experienced what being on a college field is even like. I would be concerned that this means the other QB's are really struggling, and Mack is worried that if he starts them over Howell, USC could take advantage early over some sloppy quarterback play.

Relax buddy. You start the guy who gives you the best chance of winning, period. Forrtin and Ruder appeared in 5 games I believe, and threw a total of 70 passes, so it’s not like they have much more experience. If Howell can’t handle it, so be it.

But if he’s been playing the most consistently, he deserves a shot. It’s just a game.

Respectfully, that's the attitude that doesn't make recruits and fans inspired about a football program. Yes, it's a game, but if you are a program who really really cares about winning and finding success, you conduct your team and make decisions like it's more than that.

Sam Howell has never seen the field in a collegiate game. And I don't mean in the sense that he's never lined up to take a snap - I mean he's never been physically present at a single game, on the sideline, in his career. He has no idea what type of stage or feeling that is like compared to the measly, low attendance high school games he's played prior to now. When someone who is used to playing on pop warner fields all of the sudden steps into an NFL stadium with thousands of people watching him, and he's expected to take the first snap and lead his team to victory against hands down the best defense he has ever lined up against in his life by a mile, there is a significantly good chance that he does not perform well. At least your other 2 QB's have been on the team for a while, and they are now used to going into big stadiums with thousands of people, and feel acclimated to that environment if they were to play. Sam Howell has no point of reference for what existing on a stage like that is even like. Even if he handles his nerves well, it is such an insurmountable hurdle to feel comfortable to the point where you can lead an offense. And not only that, you can not afford to play with hesitation or worry. As mentioned before, if you are playing by far the best, fastest, largest defense you have ever lined up against in your life, it is imperative that you are thinking clearly, making quick, good decisions, and not letting the heat of the moment affect your fundamentals or accuracy. It is so hard for a true freshman to start and do that in game 1. That's the reason you hardly ever see a true freshman QB start game 1. It just doesn't happen.

I've been watching a lot of Howell's tape from last season. What I see is a guy who has the arm, measurements, speed, and potential accuracy to be a future NFL quarterback. His movement on the ground is phenomenal too. What I don't see from him, however, is an ability to make quick reads or decisions, and a tendency to stare down one receiver instead of running through all of his reads. While Howell looks like he can be coached into something really special, right now, his eye discipline from his 2018 tape is horrendous. He telegraphs every throw way before he attempts it.

I know you are all going to step in and say "oh look, this guy is acting like he knows how to evaluate a QB and he knows better than Mack Brown". No, that isn't what I'm saying. I think Brown is starting Howell because he is the only player on your roster with the natural ability to make big, accurate throws that can't be taught. On top of that, he knows how to take off and run when a play breaks down on him. He is simply the only option for UNC that can make the type of throws consistently in Phil Longo's style of offense.

I don't think Brown is wrong for naming Howell the 1st string QB, it makes sense completely. I am just trying to communicate that while Howell is really naturally talented- the only QB on your roster with true NFL arm talent, he still needs a lot of coaching and a lot more experience to elevate his decision making, mental quickness, and eye discipline, especially on the college level.

Also, I don't mean this in a smack talk way - but if Sam Howell is phenomenal in game 1 and leads your team to a victory over USC, the amount of crow I will be eating is infinite. I cannot imagine a world where Howell elevates his decision making and eye discipline so much from last year, that he is able to be really successful against a college level defense in game 1. After watching his tape, he is a great QB in the making, but he is way too young, inexperienced, and not coached enough for me to imagine him having a great performance in game 1. I can see moderate at best. Great, no.

What's wrong with watching high school tape from a few months ago? It's the same player making the same mistakes.

Yes I do. I grew up in a family of QB's and know how to watch film on QB's. Plus, it's not that hard to see how bad Howell's eye discipline is. It's bad on every play. He can't help but stare down wide receivers. He is not good at reading defenses.

You gleaned this all from HS YouTube videos?

It's not my fault you don't understand how to watch tape. Tape always tells the facts and tendencies about any given player.

You have access to his All-22 tape? Surely such an astute scout as yourself wouldn’t try to glean anything from High School mixtapes.

Hahaha

“Sam Howell has never seen the field in a collegiate game. And I don't mean in the sense that he's never lined up to take a snap - I mean he's never been physically present at a single game, on the sideline, in his career.”

He took his official visit to FSU when they played Florida last season, but this guy was on such a roll of wrongness I didn’t want to stop him.

“...if Sam Howell is phenomenal in game 1 and leads your team to a victory over USC, the amount of crow I will be eating is infinite.”

Infinite Crow is actually the name of my death metal band.

Looked like Howell was not staring at his receiver as much as staring down the sc db's Chuck Norris-style, daring them to make a pick.

“Sam Howell has never seen the field in a collegiate game. And I don't mean in the sense that he's never lined up to take a snap - I mean he's never been physically present at a single game, on the sideline, in his career.”

He took his official visit to FSU when they played Florida last season, but this guy was on such a roll of wrongness I didn’t want to stop him.

“...if Sam Howell is phenomenal in game 1 and leads your team to a victory over USC, the amount of crow I will be eating is infinite.”

Infinite Crow is actually the name of my death metal band.
It’s remarkable how wrong he was given he came from a family of QB’s.

Looked like Howell was not staring at his receiver as much as staring down the sc db's Chuck Norris-style, daring them to make a pick.
If you have touch and accuracy and can fire the ball, and you read pass coverage well, you can do that and beat even experienced and talented DBs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT