ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan Roster

MWHeels

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2008
On first glance, not much size and quite a bit of youth. Wagner is their best low-post player, but from what I watched last year, isn't nearly as physical as what we faced with the MSU guys. Transfer Jaaron Simmons leads a mostly inexperienced back court.

The Tar Heels need to bounce back quickly! The only thing I fear this week is a hang over from getting your arse handed to you!

The Tar Heels need to bounce back quickly! The only thing I fear this week is a hang over from getting your arse handed to you!

That's not something I fear. I think Roy will have them ready and we will see much better play - partly because we learned a few things but also because we won't be matched up against a team of giants. But to that point, I will be watching the bigs closely in the next few games. I expect to see improvements in defensive positioning and offensive decision making.

Oh, I agree with you that Roy is the master at using things like this to teach, my fear is that some peeps are by nature quitters. If any of our Bigs are natural quitters a game like that one could break them. I don't see any quit in them because: Huff is a force of nature; Manley has already fought back from multiple injuries; Miller decided to walk on when he could have gotten a scholly; and Garrison had the character to face a bad decision and man up!

I fully expect to see us come out fast and everyone getting floor burns, but.....

Reactions: shun1
That's not something I fear. I think Roy will have them ready and we will see much better play - partly because we learned a few things but also because we won't be matched up against a team of giants. But to that point, I will be watching the bigs closely in the next few games. I expect to see improvements in defensive positioning and offensive decision making.
Well said... and I'll add to that improvement in post-up footwork and stronger moves to the rack.

Well said... and I'll add to that improvement in post-up footwork and stronger moves to the rack.
Stronger moves to the basket is dead on coach. Brooks looked legitimately terrified in that game, and once Huff was blocked twice in a row he shriveled ditto for Manley. The front court is going to be really good next yr and he yr after. They are gonna have good games and bad games yesterday was a bad no horrible game for them. It didn't help that berry let the msu PG get him out of his game. I never thought I would say this but berry was out toughed that game. It then trickled down to all the other guards seventh Felton all the guards except pinson didn't even try to drive. Shame cause our first shot defense was phenomenal most of the game. As I said in another thread this team as green as it is is still elite 8 good and once you get there anything else is icing on top

Stronger moves to the basket is dead on coach. Brooks looked legitimately terrified in that game, and once Huff was blocked twice in a row he shriveled ditto for Manley. The front court is going to be really good next yr and he yr after. They are gonna have good games and bad games yesterday was a bad no horrible game for them. It didn't help that berry let the msu PG get him out of his game. I never thought I would say this but berry was out toughed that game. It then trickled down to all the other guards seventh Felton all the guards except pinson didn't even try to drive. Shame cause our first shot defense was phenomenal most of the game. As I said in another thread this team as green as it is is still elite 8 good and once you get there anything else is icing on top
Well, I won't rehash the PG issue in that particular game, but at some point there have to be actual rules enforced. And BTW, JB took their guy out of his game worse. I'll just leave it by saying once Joel gets that crap off his hand and the nagging gathering issue goes away you'll see something on a whole different level on the offensive end. No worries at all there.

With our young Bigs, it starts with footwork.. and then head-work. They weren't getting good drop steps, and they were, as you said, tentative even in simple shots. Brooks' head-fakes weren't even believable. Hopefully this is a wake-up call for them, and I would bet Roy and Big Sean get in the trenches with them for some old-fashioned post work in practice.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I was critical at times of Kennedy Meeks during his time. But we could of really used a guy like him yesterday. A guy with a big ass that can't get moved off the block and hold position in the post.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and gary-7
I was critical at times of Kennedy Meeks during his time. But we could of really used a guy like him yesterday. A guy with a big ass that can't get moved off the block and hold position in the post.

Lowkey our 2nd best player last year...

Kennedy and Hicks were grown-ass men in there. The way big Meeks handled that behemoth from Gonzaga was key for us.

Reactions: dlew71 and TPFKAPFS
Kennedy and Hicks were grown-ass men in there. The way big Meeks handled that behemoth from Gonzaga was key for us.
Meeks was in better shape than that polish sausage from Gonzaga last year. We all saw Meeks physical transformation over his 4 years. But he still came in at 6'10 275 at the combine in June. Meeks was a large man.

Reactions: gary-7
On first glance, not much size and quite a bit of youth. Wagner is their best low-post player, but from what I watched last year, isn't nearly as physical as what we faced with the MSU guys. Transfer Jaaron Simmons leads a mostly inexperienced back court.

Never, never undrer-rate an opponent!

If l could have one thing every night, it would be an opponent which underrated us. Then l would know we could come in and kick their ass clear back to Durham, Rawlyy or wherever they come from.

But never let us be guilty of same! We have standards, and one is to be rightly prepared, physically and mentally for every opponent! Respect your opponent and be ready for their best ... Michigan included!!!

We have the personnel to defend the perimeter, I hope the guys are ready to rebound both ends of the floor very physically!

Not worried about anybody on this team quitting. We gonna have some nights like Sunday night. And I still hate Sunday games!

Tired legs? Long road trip? JB's hand bothering him? Or was it simply MSU is just that much better than us right now? Who Knows! But that's behind us now, time to regroup-re focus and learn from that old fashioned butt whooping.

Our Bigs got schooled big time. Lot to work on but then, I think we have a lot to work with, just gonna take time.

I still Love our team and watching every game to see how we improve.

I love this team as well mike. I'm giving them to the end of December. Those three freshman bigs did indeed get schooled and Roy has two days of teaching/practice ending today before we see Michigan. And most of a month to learn, grow and improve to the end of December. We are a very good team that can become better.

We will get better. It may not occur within the next month, but it will happen. I have faith that Roy will turn these guys into productive players on both ends of the court. Think about the difference between Meeks in year 1 compared to last year. Two totally different players.

We should have the advantage in both offensive and defensive rebounds against them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT