ADVERTISEMENT

Quick stuff (BC game)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and we showed character and got past a bit of a stench (more on that below).

This had the makings of a "trap" game --- cold afternoon start on the road, opponent who plays slow bumper-pool offense, etc.. and they got some help in their approach --- so... glad we closed it out. Here's some stuff, bad and good:

- It was apparent as to their tactic of pounding on RJ and Mando, especially denying RJ's 3 looks. Cormac had ample ops to compensate for that but got off to a very cold shooting start.

- That, and other misfires (e.g., blown 2-on-1 by a bad pass from Ingram) kept us from ever getting a working lead. Well, those and calls (or lack thereof).

- We too often got caught in the up/down switch mismatches we've been avoiding recently (adjusted some in the second half), and after some early solid team D, I was really disappointed in our missed defensive rotations in the second half. Too many of their guys got to the rim on sound forces but no help arriving

- Phantom foul trouble got us using 11 guys today, and it sure is nice to have that luxury, with mostly solid contributions off the bench. Seth's floater and Withers offensive board were big in closing out the game. And good on Oko for comporting himself well in a "physical' game

- Cormac overcame a non-confident start and RJ fought thru BC;s attempted smothering, but the zebras would never let Mando get started. Good work on the boards again by Ingram, but GOT to finish thru contact!

- Moments --- Late first half, EC snaps a no-look 3/4 dime and just when they moved the camera, Cormac comes into view running a post pattern. Folks, THAT is what happens when you run the floor expecting the pass. And oh, that SlCK last-second ankle-breaker-and-oop to end the first half? THAT is case-in-point why EC needs to have the rock in those situations.

- Finally, there was pregame chatter on the interwebs concerning the surprisingly low point spread for this one. While there were some legit reasons (that I mentioned in the intro), I gotta say I didn't like the "smell" of some things I saw today --- in particular from one Jerry Heater --- and I'll leave it at that. With that said, kudos to our guys for stepping up and making enough plays to get us to a scrappy 10-pt margin.

Anyway, so... we survived a trap of our own making Weds, and a genuine road trap today. That's the mark of a championship team, after all. And make no mistake --- Monday will be an important showdown. Wake has gotten way better than they started the season, and wouldntyaknow, the guy who lit us up last season (Monsanto) is coming back for this one. Time to refocus and protect Dean's house with guns-a-blazing!...
:cool:

Good summary G! RJ is becoming a pretty good playmaker for others here of late. I think playing with EC is starting to influence his game. Really comfortable when those two are on the court together. The team defense has really improved since the OK game. The 5 are playing as one more often than not. Great signs going forward. Now let’s get another Big 4 win on Monday!!

As Roy Williams would say, talent is good but experienced talent is the best. HD has experienced talent this year and that along with a facilitating point guard is mostly why this team is having the success they are.

I wasn't able to tune in until the 15:00 mark of the 2nd half, with UNC up 42-38. From there on out it was a whistle fest, resembling a Knights of Columbus regional free throw competition.

Was a bit surprised that RJ ran the point almost exclusively in the last 8 minutes or so, even when Cadeau was his backcourt mate.

Mando and Ingram led the way on the glass and the re-established advantage in that area continued. Withers continued his increased production as well.

Again, missed the 1st half and start of the 2nd, but road wins are always appreciated. My account appreciated them covering the -8 too. 😆

I mentioned it in the game thread, along with a few others, but what is with Ingram bringing the ball up even when he is behind EC. He did that on at least three different occasions today and it drove me nuts. EC ran to the ball, as good point guards do, and Ingram ignored him and started dribbling away. I love Harrison Ingram but that needs to be addressed. There's a reason EC is on the court and, as good as Ingram is, he is nowhere near the facilitator Cadeau is.

Second thing. Please, please stop with the useless pirouette at the top of the key to initiate the offense. If the idea is to move the defense from one side to another to initiate the offense, then just do it with a dribble. That ridiculous spin move is going to cost us. Mark my words.

A win is a win (unless you're looking at the net rankings🙄) and we have seven of them in the ACC versus zero losses. Tough, tough game coming up against Wake. They look legit.

As always its a GDTBATH!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: thompsjj
Haven’t watched close enough but I wonder if the spin move is the key for team to start moving/start the timing of the offense?

Reactions: Agsmith9
I mentioned it in the game thread, along with a few others, but what is with Ingram bringing the ball up even when he is behind EC. He did that on at least three different occasions today and it drove me nuts. EC ran to the ball, as good point guards do, and Ingram ignored him and started dribbling away. I love Harrison Ingram but that needs to be addressed. There's a reason EC is on the court and, as good as Ingram is, he is nowhere near the facilitator Cadeau is.
^ Yep.

Ingram needs to pass to a point guard when he grabs a defensive rebound, and not always look to run the break himself. Every time he did it today he wasted a possession for us.
There is very little Carolina transition that we're used too.
And if it's not consistently happening with a "generational PG" like Elliot Cadeau what does that say going forward. 🤷‍♀️

Haven’t watched close enough but I wonder if the spin move is the key for team to start moving/start the timing of the offense?
If that is the case, it should be easier to yell out a vocal start signal without risking a breakaway turnover

We're gonna be #3 come Monday's game.

We need to start putting all the pieces together and play like it.

WFU is next and they are much better than the last few teams weve played.

Time to start finding consistency and fluidity... I'd like to see HD go with a lean short bench the first 10 minutes.

Ingram needs to pass to a point guard when he grabs a defensive rebound, and not always look to run the break himself. Every time he did it today he wasted a possession for us.
While I do agree he needs to give it up, he had a perfect pass to big Ok on one break. I guarantee if EC makes that pass people would say he should have been ready, had his head up, or have his head on a swivel.

He’s done it all year so I’d bet Coach wants him to start the break if he gets it. But, just because he can doesn’t mean that he should. I’d imagine coach will address it after today.

I'll have to ask, but he may have been told to do that.
Gary I beg you to find out if you can do so. lol the top of my head wants to come off every time he does it. And dang it, Davis is doing it too. Let us know. Or anyone that knows please give it up!!!

...Please, please stop with the useless pirouette at the top of the key to initiate the offense. If the idea is to move the defense from one side to another to initiate the offense, then just do it with a dribble. That ridiculous spin move is going to cost us. Mark my words.

Hoping he's trying to bait the defense to do something compromising. But I didn't see much of it in the 2nd half, so maybe something that HD talked to him about. That said, this was the first live game I've seen all season; not sure how often he's been doing it.

EC looked exceptionally comfortable handling the ball. There was one poor possession where he didn't pass but tried to score on his own. It was early in the clock too (if Roy was still on the sideline and at his best, he would've got pulled and got an earful at the end of the bench). Some of his zips were great choices but off the mark a little and, though not resulting in a TO, the recipient didn't catch it in rhythm and results weren't always great. He had that dreadful defense near the end where he inexplicably allowed a guy to go by him to the rim on the baseline (why he missed the final few minutes IMO...didn't hear the postgame). Overall mediocre game from him, but some astounding assists that bodes well in the future.

Loved how aggressive EC was with the ball! 9 first half TO’s fortunately got corrected in the second half by only committing 2 more for the rest of the game. Both Bacot and Withers had unnecessary fouls away from the ball and both players need to be smarter than that going forward. Loved how Hubert finally didn’t call a timeout before the half and he let EC do what he does best! Even though EC didn’t connect on his outside shots I was glad to see him attempt them. No one could stay in front of EC and he just abused BC by driving to the basket and scoring or facilitating the ball to his teammates. It’s either feast or famine when it comes to Cormac’s three pointers. Cormac had great open looks in the first half and he just couldn’t knock down his open 3’s. His Offensive rebound and his blown follow up layup is just not acceptable. This team really needs for Cormac to get into a consistent groove with his outside shot. BC being in the bonus with almost 13 minutes left in the second half was a potential recipe for disaster. This game was ugly and the refs actually made it worse. Washington really needs to work on his hands. Winning an ugly road conference game by double digits is once again very encouraging. We are winning in a variety of different ways this year. Kansas losing to a terrible WV team proves just how hard these games are to win at times. Great win! Now we get that quick turnaround game against a confident and very good and ascending Wake Forrest team. GDTBATH

I'll have to ask, but he may have been told to do that.
I've seen RJ do it too so it just might be a way to start the offense but I just don't like the idea of turning your back to the defense when you don't have to.

While I do agree he needs to give it up, he had a perfect pass to big Ok on one break. I guarantee if EC makes that pass people would say he should have been ready, had his head up, or have his head on a swivel.

He’s done it all year so I’d bet Coach wants him to start the break if he gets it. But, just because he can doesn’t mean that he should. I’d imagine coach will address it after today.
That was actually not a good pass. Delivered too late, too close and too low

Withers looks like he’s finally figured out how to play on this team and play with effort. He must not be thinking anymore and just playing. He still scares me when he tries to go 1 on 1 just because that ball looks loose but everything else he has really turned it around the last 5-6 games.

This team has become mentally tough. Just think if they can put together a couple games with good consistent offense.

My son made a funny observation after UNC got lucky with missed call on the out of bounds call off them when it should have been off Wash. Once the crowd started chanting Refs you suck, they stopped getting all the calls we started getting some.

I’ve seen RJ do it as well, more earlier on in the season and it just look odd turning your back when it’s not even needed.
If you remember, the full dribble reversal used to be a trigger for a wing back-door in the Passing Game, but that was typically done in the other direction.

Reactions: Indy_Heel
Did Okonkwo get more playing time early because Wash got hurt on the illegal screen he set? It just seemed weird to see him come in when Bacot got in foul trouble because I expected to see Wash. Or do you think the coaching staff thought he could play defense on their C better? Wasn’t sure if Wash got hurt when that guys head nailed him in the cheek or not. Wash did show up later with a bandage.

There is very little Carolina transition that we're used too.
And if it's not consistently happening with a "generational PG" like Elliot Cadeau what does that say going forward. 🤷‍♀️
That's because Cadeau isn't a generational point guard as a freshman no matter how much some people would like you to believe. He is effective and looks even better because we haven't had one for a few years.

He can get there but I don't know if we will see that lofty appraisal this year and frankly we probably don't need it. Just keep being effective and improving defensively.

Thanks for the write-up Gary, and discussion everyone else…. Wasn’t able to watch this one and judging by how fugly it sounds I don’t think I’ll work too hard to find it!

I wasn't able to tune in until the 15:00 mark of the 2nd half, with UNC up 42-38. From there on out it was a whistle fest, resembling a Knights of Columbus regional free throw competition.
There was a bad call at some point which seemed to lead to multiple "makeup" calls for a while.

It was almost like there was competition among the refs, where one would call a makeup call and the other, thinking that was a bad call, would call another makeup call at the other end.

It was weird.

He's a good point forward and sometimes that works well for us. Maybe not today, but I don't usually mind when he brings up the ball.

I like that Okonkwo is getting more minutes. He seemed lost and awkward early in the year but is coming along nicely now. Runs the court well. Isn't shy about mixing it up inside.

High, on the other hand, isn't looking as good as he did earlier in the season. I hope that's just the common mid-season freshman funk. I worry that he's showing a bit of attitude on the court. Not the good kind. Reminds me a little of Brice in his early years when a bad call or play could get him pouty and take his mind out of the game. Might be my imagination, but if true, someone needs to set him straight.

Good summary G! RJ is becoming a pretty good playmaker for others here of late. I think playing with EC is starting to influence his game. Really comfortable when those two are on the court together. The team defense has really improved since the OK game. The 5 are playing as one more often than not. Great signs going forward. Now let’s get another Big 4 win on Monday!!
A few nifty passes inside by RJ. One to Withers reminded me of when RJ would dish to Brady a couple of years ago. Withers has quick hands on the catch.

Not saying Withers is Manek, but he's starting to look like the player I thought we were getting.

Good comments on this thread!
The recent efforts by Jaelyn Withers are certainly impressive and add another dimension to
our play on both ends of the court.
The abundance of positive attributes demonstrated by these guys is so gratifying. GDTBATH
Now, beat the Demon Deacons!

Reactions: Heels5150
Withers has certainly come on strong. He was looking more comfortable and had a really good game against Louisville. That seems to have really helped his confidence. It also seems that he and Trimble are our defensive team when we need stops.

Reactions: r_u_worthy
LOL, can't help but chuckle a bit, I mentioned this spin move that both Cadeau and RJ were doing just after they cross half court a couple weeks ago because it bugged me, I had not seen anyone mention it, was surprised when a few others replied that they had noticed it to. Now it seems to have become a big deal? LOL Even if they are trying to influence something you would think they would do the same thing with a cross over and not turn their head to the defense. Anyway, just strikes me as funny.

What a ugly game and we can thank a terrible crew of refs for this nonsense. It was ugly both ways, don't take what I am saying as BC getting home cooking, they did not, the refs mudded the game up for both teams. But it had the players confused as to what the refs were going to call and what they were not, call a touch foul on one end and a player get mugged on the other and no whistle? It just drove this game off the rails. Why was it called as it was by this crew, there are reasons and I am not going in to that any further.

The game itself, if it can be called that, players just didn't know what they could do without a whistle being blown, Post takes a fall away jump shot and they call Bacot for a foul? LOL Both he and Ingram got hammered all game, JWit was at times as well. Yet thru it all our Tar Heels defended their collective butts off and we owned the boards. Collectively we shot 44.6% from the field, 29.4% from trey, snagging 44 boards to their 28. We made 25 shots from the field and 15 of them were assisted, well above what coaches demand (coaches love it when that is 50% or more). We held them to 19-55 shots from the field (34.5%), 3-17 from trey for 17.6%, they had 1 block to our 5. They shot 29 free throws to our 26, there were 55 free throws taken between both teams...

Bottom line was we missed a LOT of open shots, Ingram for example missed 3 separate attempts that he should have flushed, Ryan keeps on missing wide open looks but that kid fights his arse off on the defensive end, credit him for that folks. Hubert did have me scrat5ching my head on some of his line up rotations, I am very happy we played so many guys but darn, I look out and see Konkwo, JWit, and Paxon on the floor, or High and Konkwo out there, I see Konkow out there when we need a score to keep from a tie game at the half, amazing Konkow caught the slammer from Cadeau to give us the edge, just not what I would expect at a critical time where we really need points. Well, at least he didn't call a TO and set yet another isolation play for RJ, we all know how great that works! LOL

Ingram played hard, especially defensively but started filling up the stat sheet in that second half, that kid got the message about hitting the boards. I felt Cadeau was playing pretty well over all, looked to me like he could do anything he wanted against their opposing PG, would have liked to see a few more minutes for him in this one. And our guy Jwit seemed to carry over some of his game from that Lville game, hit a couple very needed jumpers in that first half at a time we didn't seem able to buy a bucket, Jwit is becoming a factor, he is becoming what I thought he could pre-season. That is why I said so many times I wanted him to be our starting 4 and Ingram as our 3. Jwash got 7mins folks, Okonkwo got 8, excuse me while I still do not like that. That JWash turn around jumper is a weapon we should be using more...

My game ball on this one has to be RJ, the kid is being treated as primary focus for defenses along with Bacot yet he still finds a way, RJ is having a MONSTER season folks! If Ingram and Ryan can get their shooting consistent Bacot would not have to deal with nearly as many doubles as he now has to, Ingram has not jump shot nearly as well since he hurt that wrist vs Ky and Ryan not since he hurt his ankle early season.

If we play Wake like we played BC, have to say it guys but we will lose... Wake is running under the radar... Could well end up top 3 in the ACC by season end, not a team to take casually and we are about due to take a loss...

He's a good point forward and sometimes that works well for us. Maybe not today, but I don't usually mind when he brings up the ball.
I am usually fine with Ingram starting the break but not if he has Cadeau right beside him, he needs to give it to the PG. When he does start the break, same applies to Ryan, I am fine until they get past half court, they BOTH need to give it up then because they tend to dribble to far in to trouble. Give it up to the PG and run to the paint & the guard will find you right back if something is there that you can finish. I commented in the game thread in game that I noticed 2 times that Ingram got the board and took off on the break and BOTH times Cadeau was right beside him, either pitch ahead or give it to Cadeau. BC was only sending most of the time 1 or 2 guys to the boards and everyone else retreated to try to stop us from running our breaks.

LOL, can't help but chuckle a bit, I mentioned this spin move that both Cadeau and RJ were doing just after they cross half court a couple weeks ago because it bugged me, I had not seen anyone mention it, was surprised when a few others replied that they had noticed it to. Now it seems to have become a big deal? LOL Even if they are trying to influence something you would think they would do the same thing with a cross over and not turn their head to the defense. Anyway, just strikes me as funny.

What a ugly game and we can thank a terrible crew of refs for this nonsense. It was ugly both ways, don't take what I am saying as BC getting home cooking, they did not, the refs mudded the game up for both teams. But it had the players confused as to what the refs were going to call and what they were not, call a touch foul on one end and a player get mugged on the other and no whistle? It just drove this game off the rails. Why was it called as it was by this crew, there are reasons and I am not going in to that any further.

The game itself, if it can be called that, players just didn't know what they could do without a whistle being blown, Post takes a fall away jump shot and they call Bacot for a foul? LOL Both he and Ingram got hammered all game, JWit was at times as well. Yet thru it all our Tar Heels defended their collective butts off and we owned the boards. Collectively we shot 44.6% from the field, 29.4% from trey, snagging 44 boards to their 28. We made 25 shots from the field and 15 of them were assisted, well above what coaches demand (coaches love it when that is 50% or more). We held them to 19-55 shots from the field (34.5%), 3-17 from trey for 17.6%, they had 1 block to our 5. They shot 29 free throws to our 26, there were 55 free throws taken between both teams...

Bottom line was we missed a LOT of open shots, Ingram for example missed 3 separate attempts that he should have flushed, Ryan keeps on missing wide open looks but that kid fights his arse off on the defensive end, credit him for that folks. Hubert did have me scrat5ching my head on some of his line up rotations, I am very happy we played so many guys but darn, I look out and see Konkwo, JWit, and Paxon on the floor, or High and Konkwo out there, I see Konkow out there when we need a score to keep from a tie game at the half, amazing Konkow caught the slammer from Cadeau to give us the edge, just not what I would expect at a critical time where we really need points. Well, at least he didn't call a TO and set yet another isolation play for RJ, we all know how great that works! LOL

Ingram played hard, especially defensively but started filling up the stat sheet in that second half, that kid got the message about hitting the boards. I felt Cadeau was playing pretty well over all, looked to me like he could do anything he wanted against their opposing PG, would have liked to see a few more minutes for him in this one. And our guy Jwit seemed to carry over some of his game from that Lville game, hit a couple very needed jumpers in that first half at a time we didn't seem able to buy a bucket, Jwit is becoming a factor, he is becoming what I thought he could pre-season. That is why I said so many times I wanted him to be our starting 4 and Ingram as our 3. Jwash got 7mins folks, Okonkwo got 8, excuse me while I still do not like that. That JWash turn around jumper is a weapon we should be using more...

My game ball on this one has to be RJ, the kid is being treated as primary focus for defenses along with Bacot yet he still finds a way, RJ is having a MONSTER season folks! If Ingram and Ryan can get their shooting consistent Bacot would not have to deal with nearly as many doubles as he now has to, Ingram has not jump shot nearly as well since he hurt that wrist vs Ky and Ryan not since he hurt his ankle early season.

If we play Wake like we played BC, have to say it guys but we will lose... Wake is running under the radar... Could well end up top 3 in the ACC by season end, not a team to take casually and we are about due to take a loss...
Very good write up and review of the game like normal Dsouthr. This season Carolina has a ton of options both offensively and defensively because of all of its experienced players they picked up in the transfer pool.

I can remember one point you brought up last year about Carolina really needed a pure talented point guard and now with Cadeau given the keys RJ Davis is having a career year because he does not no longer HAVE TO BE the primary ball handler and concentrate more on filling up the bottom of the net.

The announcers for the game also mentioned UNC is the 5th oldest team in the NCAA this year and we both know that game experience is more important than young talent…

That's because Cadeau isn't a generational point guard as a freshman no matter how much some people would like you to believe. He is effective and looks even better because we haven't had one for a few years.

He can get there but I don't know if we will see that lofty appraisal this year and frankly we probably don't need it. Just keep being effective and improving defensively.
Yeah well... what we need, IF we are to reach our aspirations, is for the one missing element to emerge --- confidence in his shot. And BTW, that is something he had never struggled with before, and I dare say that if he had started from game-1 (as he should have), that confidence issue wouldn't be what it is now. Once EC gets his shooting mojo back he'll be unguardable.

Very good write up and review of the game like normal Dsouthr. This season Carolina has a ton of options both offensively and defensively because of all of its experienced players they picked up in the transfer pool.

I can remember one point you brought up last year about Carolina really needed a pure talented point guard and now with Cadeau given the keys RJ Davis is having a career year because he does not no longer HAVE TO BE the primary ball handler and concentrate more on filling up the bottom of the net.

The announcers for the game also mentioned UNC is the 5th oldest team in the NCAA this year and we both know that game experience is more important than young talent…
Thanks ID, I think I said it a few times last season we were not playing with a PG, we were using combo guards that dressed up like PGs for trick or treat! LOL Humor aside, that was basically what it was, 2 guys that are very talented trying to be something they just are not. Square pegs just do not fit round holes well. It is like Tebow trying to be a NFL QB, it just does not work like it is supposed to. You know one of the major reason's Dean Smith was so successful don't ya, EVERY PLAYER on his teams was a role player, you did not go outside of your role and when you did you sat. It was a running joke for years that the only guy that could hold Jordan under 20pts was Dean Smith and why was there a lot of truth in that, because Jordan was a role players just like every one of his team mates were. You play your role and you trust your team mates to play theirs and you trust your coaching staff to adjust those that may not be playing their roles or deserving of their mates trust by showing them how comfy the bench is.

I see it like Roy did on players, talent is great, experienced players are great but the best is experienced talented players, they trump all!

Yeah well... what we need, IF we are to reach our aspirations, is for the one missing element to emerge --- confidence in his shot. And BTW, that is something he had never struggled with before, and I dare say that if he had started from game-1 (as he should have), that confidence issue wouldn't be what it is now. Once EC gets his shooting mojo back he'll be unguardable.
I hope you’re right Gary! His shot looks awful right now. He’s not squaring his body up and drifting or turning to the side.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT