ADVERTISEMENT

My first call for a possible Fedora replacement goes to...

To those few out there that are the Charlie Strong lovers, if you think making a politically currect, diverse, hire is the magic pill, then don't just hire for that reason. Right now I am watching Charlie Strong getting absolutely curb stomped by a not very good Tulane team. Man couldn't win at Texas. Why in the world could anyone expect him to win at a high level at Chapel Hill?

Also see a lot of talk on here about not wanting to lay big money because of Feds buyout. The money is there. Past time for UNC to actually act like they want to be a player when it comes to football. If not, don't go cheap, just keep Fedora and be satisfied with the mediocrity, or worse, that folks in the administration seem to have a never ending tolerance for. I continue to believe more, and more, what others say about UNC. They don't worry about UNC in football because as long as everything is going well under the roof of the Dean Dome football doesn't really matter
So who do you want?

To those few out there that are the Charlie Strong lovers, if you think making a politically currect, diverse, hire is the magic pill, then don't just hire for that reason.
No one is saying hire him because of that. We're saying he would be liked by the liberal faculty and boosters.

I continue to believe more, and more, what others say about UNC. They don't worry about UNC in football because as long as everything is going well under the roof of the Dean Dome football doesn't really matter
Don't be like those people. They embarrass themselves.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
No one is saying hire him because of that. We're saying he would be liked by the liberal faculty and boosters.

And that is what scares me. Somebody with enough power decides to make a politically correct statement of diversity rather than about winning football games. Time to either get serious about football, or leave all the other sports in the ACC and let football play in the Sun Belt. That might be too tough. Maybe the Big South would be a good football fit.

Yep. Sadly, UNC is about the only D1 school that will keep him employed for another couple seasons.

It's time for a change Bubba. Please!
I can't imagine any school that would keep a coach with 2 wins against D1 schools in 2 years, and both wins were the same team. Not to mention, being humiliated in some of the losses. His record against ECU is ridiculous.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
I tell you a guy I like.. Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern...What he has done there is something else...They play good D they run the ball and he has to develop players...

I tell you a guy I like.. Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern...What he has done there is something else...They play good D they run the ball and he has to develop players...
I wouldn’t hate that hire at all

A labor of love for Fitzgerald.......he is a Northwestern grad and is there because he believes in his school and his school believes in him.

I agree. But he is a Chicago native and Northwestern grad. He aint ever leaving that job voluntarily for any other.

I wish we had an alum like that - a football version of Roy or Fox.

I agree. But he is a Chicago native and Northwestern grad. He aint ever leaving that job voluntarily for any other.

I wish we had an alum like that - a football version of Roy or Fox.
If PSU has another average year, I could see them parting ways with Franklin. He’s 3-12 against OSU, MSU, and UM. The natives are getting restless in Happy Valley.

I would take him.

He's got a rollercoaster record, but I don't think he would be a horrible option. He's only making two million a year, but like others have said he's a NW grad.

He's got a rollercoaster record, but I don't think he would be a horrible option. He's only making two million a year, but like others have said he's a NW grad.
Guys like him and Cutcliffe are dependent on redshirting a bunch of fundamental-type guys and making a little noise when they have a roster of experienced RS Jrs and Srs. Even then, it’s usually 8ish wins.

Guys like him and Cutcliffe are dependent on redshirting a bunch of fundamental-type guys and making a little noise when they have a roster of experienced RS Jrs and Srs. Even then, it’s usually 8ish wins.
I would be ok with eight right now. Whoever we hire next will most likely be a bridge coach to get to the guy that will have us in position to win the acc.

I would be ok with eight right now. Whoever we hire next will most likely be a bridge coach to get to the guy that will have us in position to win the acc.
Me too. But if we go the bridge route, we need to play it safe. This is such a shitty situation for Bubba to handle.

Reactions: tarheel0910
If PSU has another average year, I could see them parting ways with Franklin. He’s 3-12 against OSU, MSU, and UM. The natives are getting restless in Happy Valley.

I would take him.
PSU is still dealing with the fall out from the Sandusky mess. I don't see Franklin getting fired unless he slips back to consecutive 7 win seasons.

Campbell May well be focused on a b10 job. However he may be more focused on a job where he could aim for the natty. Give him a commitment and insist he gives us a chance. He would have more talent than he had when he went to Toledo and iOS st. He has proved he can build a program. UNC can offer him money and promise that UNC wants him to reach hishis goals which are similar to ours. Proven accomplishment must weigh heavily in next coach.

I'm in the minority on this one I think Alabama is as dirty as nuclear plutonium... I would like someone like Purdue's head coach or a Dabo Swinney type guy. Heck I think we should look at Walt Bell and Seth Littrell

I guess my attitude about this is that IF he were to come here, I as AD and looking at the need to appeal to a non triple option attack as a way to draw fans etc. I would want that VERY first question in an interview to be about offensive strategy and the potential need to hire a guy who would direct this fast spread that seems to be the dominant force in college football today.

My hunch and it is only that here is that this guy is savvy enough and sharp enough to get that type of coach to run an offense that would appeal to recruits and fans alike. Focus on the d and recruiting and let Coach fast and furious draw up game plans that will sizzle...but if he plans on sticking with the triple option then the interview would be a short one.

I will also point out that he WAS a candidate at both BYU and Arizona ...a PRIME one too But HE turned them down Why?? really do not know but both of those schools would want him to run a fast offense ….BYU is QB bombs away and has been forever. I would at least like to talk with this guy....he is a very good coach and he does it with not the greatest physical talent.
I like him a great deal, but not for UNC. Here is the main football reason: not only does a run-based triple option offense rather severely limit recruiting possibilities, but it works best against teams with at least as much overall talent when it is rarely faced. GT is in the ACC Coastal. If we also played that offense, the entire Coastal would find it very easy to prepare for us.

The head coach of Navy...Ken Niumatalolo.

I live in the DC area and as such have close access and lots of info On navy and its team.

This guy is OUTSTANDING. His 11 year record at Navy is 84 wins and 48 losses he has been to Nine bowls and has a 5-4 record.

He has weight and height restrictions from the Naval academy on the size of his players and the most rigorous academic standards in America that MUST be followed...all he does is WIN and his players absolutely love him and love to play for him. His integrity is beyond question

he had been rumored to get both the Arizona job and the BYU job( he is Mormon)...he turned them both down and is reported to make just under $2 million/year.

He knows the Mid Atlantic area very well and would be a natural from a recruiting standpoint.

I would LOVE to have him coach at Carolina and he would be my first call.
So, here's a question: the service academy teams running this offense succeed often, against inn conferences that play them enough to be familiar with the offense. Certainly, the offense must look familiar when they play each other. So, why is the conventional wisdom that these offenses are easily defended when there is no surprise factor?
As far fans, I think there will be excitement if we win enough. The fans (including me) enjoyed watching Bill Dooley's teams win, and that may have been the most boring offense ever.

I'm in the minority on this one I think Alabama is as dirty as nuclear plutonium... I would like someone like Purdue's head coach or a Dabo Swinney type guy. Heck I think we should look at Walt Bell and Seth Littrell
Bell is not ready for a P5 HC job. Littrell is an OU guy who, if the rumors are true that Riley's dream job is the Cowboys comes to fruition, will be campaigning hard for the OU job. And many OU boosters will back him.

So, here's a question: the service academy teams running this offense succeed often, against inn conferences that play them enough to be familiar with the offense. Certainly, the offense must look familiar when they play each other. So, why is the conventional wisdom that these offenses are easily defended when there is no surprise factor?
As far fans, I think there will be excitement if we win enough. The fans (including me) enjoyed watching Bill Dooley's teams win, and that may have been the most boring offense ever.

During the Army/Navy game last year, Army ran only one (1) true triple option play the entire game.

Dooley ran the option out of a Wing-I formation that netted Don McCauley an NCAA rushing record of 1720 yards in 1970.
In 1970, McCauley broke O.J. Simpson’s NCAA single-season record for rushing yards. His 1,720 rushing yards that season remains the most for a season at Carolina. His 2,021 all-purpose yards that season is also tops in program history. McCauley led the nation in rushing and all-purpose yards in 1970

https://www.tarheelblog.com/unc-tar...-heels-football-history-don-mccauley-ncaa-acc

"Don McCauley’s senior season signaled the resurgence of the North Carolina Tar Heels and the beginning of “Tailback U.” His nation and conference leading statistics placed a spotlight on Chapel Hill and began UNC’s tradition of producing top running backs. McCauley was Carolina’s first 1,000-yard rusher, and starting with that first milestone in 1969, the Tar Heels produced 23 1,000-yard rushers in the next 24 seasons."

Dooley ran the option out of a Wing-I formation that netted Don McCauley an NCAA rushing record of 1720 yards in 1970.
In 1970, McCauley broke O.J. Simpson’s NCAA single-season record for rushing yards. His 1,720 rushing yards that season remains the most for a season at Carolina. His 2,021 all-purpose yards that season is also tops in program history. McCauley led the nation in rushing and all-purpose yards in 1970

https://www.tarheelblog.com/unc-tar...-heels-football-history-don-mccauley-ncaa-acc

"Don McCauley’s senior season signaled the resurgence of the North Carolina Tar Heels and the beginning of “Tailback U.” His nation and conference leading statistics placed a spotlight on Chapel Hill and began UNC’s tradition of producing top running backs. McCauley was Carolina’s first 1,000-yard rusher, and starting with that first milestone in 1969, the Tar Heels produced 23 1,000-yard rushers in the next 24 seasons."
People used to hunt with muskets and use dueling pistols to solve problems.

People used to hunt with muskets and use dueling pistols to solve problems.
giphy.gif

Reactions: ticket2ride04
Seth lost to ODU this yr.

It just feels there aren't many obvious answers in guys who are currently HCs unless James Franklin hates PSU or similar.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT