ADVERTISEMENT

My first call for a possible Fedora replacement goes to...

Have read so many comments about potential future coaches. I think consideration should be Campbell the coach at Iowa state. He has really built up that program and they are more competitive in the big 12. Many of you have rated the ability to build a program. He has and is still building that program. Believe he meets this requirement. Certainly he must be considered.
Aren’t they 3-4 this year?

Also,would you pay $4MM+ per year for him?

Have read so many comments about potential future coaches. I think consideration should be Campbell the coach at Iowa state. He has really built up that program and they are more competitive in the big 12. Many of you have rated the ability to build a program. He has and is still building that program. Believe he meets this requirement. Certainly he must be considered.

We would be wise to hire someone that has coaching experience in the southeast or at least within the footprint old 9 team ACC.

I've thought about him. He might be someone to keep in mind. I don't really know a lot about him though.

4-3 I think. One of the wins was against West Virginia.

Also,would you pay $4MM+ per year for him?

Fair point. But exactly what coaching superstar is licking his chops to come to Chapel Hill? The last three guys that have tried this job on for size has been a disaster. Going to have to take the up and come, or a guy that has gone to a bad situation and at least turned it a bit.

I've thought about him. He might be someone to keep in mind. I don't really know a lot about him though.

Would you give Campbell $4MM+ a year? He’s making $3.5MM now.
Fair point. But exactly what coaching superstar is licking his chops to come to Chapel Hill? The last three guys that have tried this job on for size has been a disaster. Going to have to take the up and come, or a guy that has gone to a bad situation and at least turned it a bit.
Its a bleak situation for Bubba. Huge buyout and no hot names. Houston and Satterfield won’t energize the base, but they may settle things a bit. But they don’t have P5 experience.

It’s why I’m pushing for Strong. He can be had for a reasonable price and he’s won at 2/3 places he’s been. And I’ll give him a mulligan on Texas all things considered.

Honestly, I'm not sure. I don't really know enough about him. He had a couple of other upsets, so it appears he can win big games as the underdog.
Couple of upsets doesn’t mean you should get $4MM per year. But pickings are slim

Pickings are slim. But we can’t be paralyzed by fear, afraid to fail. Any coach that comes in next year will have a decent team to work with. The following year the cupboard will be pretty bare. Of course that could lead to a .500 record his first year, great expectations, and then 3-4 win seasons in the next two years.

This is going to be a tough rebuilding job.

Pickings are slim. But we can’t be paralyzed by fear, afraid to fail. Any coach that comes in next year will have a decent team to work with. The following year the cupboard will be pretty bare. Of course that could lead to a .500 record his first year, great expectations, and then 3-4 win seasons in the next two years.

No one is paralyzed by fear. But you have to understand the money involved here. One more year of Fedora shitting the bed and getting the wrong coach is more important than waiting a year and finding the right coach. You don’t make a change just to make a change at this level.

Some of you are blinded by your hatred of Fedora.

Rebuilding or re-direction?
Perhaps it would be wise to find out what direction the Alston case goes before we make a decision.
I don't think Carolina will end up paying players, which may mean we need a fundamental shift in our coaching/recruiting philosophy.
You want to average 8-9 wins a year? Hire Jeff Monken.

Rebuilding or re-direction?
Perhaps it would be wise to find out what direction the Alston case goes before we make a decision.
I don't think Carolina will end up paying players, which may mean we need a fundamental shift in our coaching/recruiting philosophy.
You want to average 8-9 wins a year? Hire Jeff Monken.
Jeff, you won't win 8-9 games a year at UNC. Please stop begging for this job and concentrate on your own team.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
it's not a hatred of fedora, it's a hatred of losing (for all but a very small number). if fed was winning 8-10 games a season and things were trending up then i don't believe there would be many calling for his head. and there's no guarantee the coaching candidates will be better next year than this one. most of us are carolina football fans, not larry fedora fans.

So do you think Carolina will pay players?
The Alston case could be a game changer for college football.
They will if the court says they have to. I'm not sure what that has to do with a coaching search though.

No one is paralyzed by fear. But you have to understand the money involved here. One more year of Fedora shitting the bed and getting the wrong coach is more important than waiting a year and finding the right coach. You don’t make a change just to make a change at this level.

Some of you are blinded by your hatred of Fedora.
Once again with the Fed hatred BS. You’re a broken record. You want to refute the criticism of Fed? Fine. But stop with the Fed hate BS.

Reactions: riverswe
Campbell and clawson came into bad situations and both have really improved their programs. Did not mention Lawson bc thought no one would want a coach from wfu. Actually both have clearly proved they are competent. Also have proved themselves over a period. Did not know Campbell was paid si high though thoroughly earned. Could clawson be candidate. Would fan base accept him. Personally I could either one of them.

Campbell and clawson came into bad situations and both have really improved their programs. Did not mention Lawson bc thought no one would want a coach from wfu. Actually both have clearly proved they are competent. Also have proved themselves over a period. Did not know Campbell was paid si high though thoroughly earned. Could clawson be candidate. Would fan base accept him. Personally I could either one of them.
Clawson is a no. He wouldn't move in conference.

Clawson is a no. He wouldn't move in conference.
I think the point is that it shouldn't be that hard to get an upgrade from Fed. You just have to be willing to take a chance. And yes, we took a chance on Fed/Torbush/Crum/Bunting/Withers/Davis, etc... But we can't quit trying. Eventually even a blind dog finds a bone.

I think the point is that it shouldn't be that hard to get an upgrade from Fed. You just have to be willing to take a chance. And yes, we took a chance on Fed/Torbush/Crum/Bunting/Withers/Davis, etc... But we can't quit trying. Eventually even a blind dog finds a bone.
I wouldn't call Davis taking a chance. He would have had us contending for ACC championships if he hadn't hired black santa.

He is top notch. My only wariness if we hired him would be that he has no experience in the southeast. My worry about pursuing him is that he a midwestern guy whom most people have said for a few years aims to be a Big Ten HC.

He is top notch. My only wariness if we hired him would be that he has no experience in the southeast. My worry about pursuing him is that he a midwestern guy whom most people have said for a few years aims to be a Big Ten HC.
I'm not too worried about a coach having southeast ties. He can hire a staff with those ties and just build a relationship up.

No guarantee there will be an ideal coach in 2019, but at least we'll have 3 million more dollars of fun money. Sucks to be in this damned-if-do spot.

No guarantee there will be an ideal coach in 2019, but at least we'll have 3 million more dollars of fun money. Sucks to be in this damned-if-do spot.
It's not really more. That $3 million would be paid out as his salary for 2019.

and lost revenue has to be factored in. lost season ticket/single game tickets, lost concessions, lost gear purchases, lost rams club donations...and those won't return until we get a new coach or fed starts winning 8+ games a season. anyone think fed is going to win 8+ games in a season anytime soon?

and lost revenue has to be factored in. lost season ticket/single game tickets, lost concessions, lost gear purchases, lost rams club donations...and those won't return until we get a new coach or fed starts winning 8+ games a season. anyone think fed is going to win 8+ games in a season anytime soon?
Fedora is a very successful salesman because he is the type who can make himself believe what he is selling. Now, what he is selling to Bubba and the boosters and the administration that if only he could get Kelly Bryant to UNC, he could win the Coastal in 2019, and that would light a fire for recruiting that would allow the program to make a bowl in 2020 and then in 2021 again be at the top of the Coastal.

Fedora could pass a lie detector test on it. He truly believes he is that close to making UNC the Clemson of the Coastal.

Reactions: riverswe
Campbell has ISU at 4-3(3-2) right now and ranked #24. After a rough start including losses to Iowa, OU, and TCU by a combined 17 points, he switched to a true freshman QB. The offense has taken off and they've won 3 straight against OSU, WV, and TT. If we are going to hire a really good we're going to have to pay someone $4-5M/yr. Campbell seems like as good a candidate as any right now.

They were 8-5 last year with wins over #3 OU, #4 TCU and #20 Memphis in their bowl game. They were 3-9 in his first year in 2016, and 8-28 the three years prior to his arrival, so it's been a pretty quick and fairly significant turnaround. In his four full seasons at Toledo, he was 34-15 and 24-8 in conference.

His resume blows Charlie Strong's out of the water.

Campbell has ISU at 4-3(3-2) right now and ranked #24. After a rough start including losses to Iowa, OU, and TCU by a combined 17 points, he switched to a true freshman QB. The offense has taken off and they've won 3 straight against OSU, WV, and TT. If we are going to hire a really good we're going to have to pay someone $4-5M/yr. Campbell seems like as good a candidate as any right now.

They were 8-5 last year with wins over #3 OU, #4 TCU and #20 Memphis in their bowl game. They were 3-9 in his first year in 2016, and 8-28 the three years prior to his arrival, so it's been a pretty quick and fairly significant turnaround. In his four full seasons at Toledo, he was 34-15 and 24-8 in conference.

I would be quite pleased with Matt Campbell, if I knew for certain he is not desirous of being a Big Ten coach. And everything points to that. When the Urban Meyer mess hit before the season, I said here that if Meyer were to be fired, Campbell very well could be his replacement. There are quite a few Mich St fans who think that Campbell is ready to replace Dantonio. If James Franklin were to head to the NFL, Campbell will be on the PSU short list of 4 or 5

I think Campbell is going to win a P5 eventually, unless he leaves for the NFL (and the Browns may be very interested in him). If he wants the UNC job, I say can Fedora this second. But I also say that negotiations with Campbell must feature his midwestern background and the nearly universal assumption that his Dream Job is to be at a Major program in the midwest.

I would be quite pleased with Matt Campbell, if I knew for certain he is not desirous of being a Big Ten coach. And everything points to that. When the Urban Meyer mess hit before the season, I said here that if Meyer were to be fired, Campbell very well could be his replacement. There are quite a few Mich St fans who think that Campbell is ready to replace Dantonio. If James Franklin were to head to the NFL, Campbell will be on the PSU short list of 4 or 5

I think Campbell is going to win a P5 eventually, unless he leaves for the NFL (and the Browns may be very interested in him). If he wants the UNC job, I say can Fedora this second. But I also say that negotiations with Campbell must feature his midwestern background and the nearly universal assumption that his Dream Job is to be at a Major program in the midwest.

Who cares about any of that if he comes here and wins big for 4 or 5 years and leaves the program in a much better place than he found it? We will then be in a much better spot for the next hire, and that might be the guy that sticks around for 10+ years.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Who cares about any of that if he comes here and wins big for 4 or 5 years and leaves the program in a much better place than he found it? We will then be in a much better spot for the next hire, and that might be the guy that sticks around for 10+ years.
But not if he comes for 2 years and then bolts for Ohio St, or Mich St or the Browns.

AS a HS player he desperately wanted an offer from a top Big Ten program. He almost certainly did not receive a single committable offer from Big Ten schools. He signed with Pitt and transferred to D3 Mount Union. Then Major Conference BE (with Miami and VT) down to D3. That's a big step down. The key was going back to OH - playing for a huge winner in OH.

We will be a stepping stone for him if he does well.

So, he'll be like any other coach that does well here.
Yes. Which is why I don’t want to pay him $4/5MM for a couple of years along with with Fedora’s buyout. Strong can be had for $3MM or so and this would most likely be his last stop. He’ll stock talent and make the job more enticing for the next guy in 2025

Yes. Which is why I don’t want to pay him $4/5MM for a couple of years along with with Fedora’s buyout. Strong can be had for $3MM or so and this would most likely be his last stop. He’ll stock talent and make the job more enticing for the next guy in 2025

It’ll be his last stop because he’ll be very mediocre and no one else will want him. Strong would be a ‘meh’ hire in every way.

A Strong hire would be panned in the media as UNC not really trying. We’d be laughed at by other fanbases. We could do worse, but we could also do a lot better. I’m tired of UNC football being a joke.

Reactions: Deezheelz
It’ll be his last stop because he’ll be very mediocre and no one else will want him. Strong would be a ‘meh’ hire in every way.
A Strong hire would be panned in the media as UNC not really trying. We’d be laughed at by other fanbases. We could do worse, but we could also do a lot better. I’m tired of UNC football being a joke.
Nah.

Anyway, doesn’t look like Fedora is going anywhere anyway. There’s always next year.

Yeah it’s depressing, but I’m not so sure. If we lose to GT, duke and state and aren’t really competitive in any of them I really don’t see how he could possibly be retained. 2 P5 wins in two years?? He’d have to be gone.....

If Rhule leaves Baylor, I doubt he would go to a program with an even bigger scandal than he inherited when he took the Baylor job.

To those few out there that are the Charlie Strong lovers, if you think making a politically currect, diverse, hire is the magic pill, then don't just hire for that reason. Right now I am watching Charlie Strong getting absolutely curb stomped by a not very good Tulane team. Man couldn't win at Texas. Why in the world could anyone expect him to win at a high level at Chapel Hill?

Also see a lot of talk on here about not wanting to lay big money because of Feds buyout. The money is there. Past time for UNC to actually act like they want to be a player when it comes to football. If not, don't go cheap, just keep Fedora and be satisfied with the mediocrity, or worse, that folks in the administration seem to have a never ending tolerance for. I continue to believe more, and more, what others say about UNC. They don't worry about UNC in football because as long as everything is going well under the roof of the Dean Dome football doesn't really matter

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT