ADVERTISEMENT

My first call for a possible Fedora replacement goes to...

Let me guys ask you a question. If I presented three coaches with the resumes below, would you take coach A, coach B or coach C as your first choice and which one as your second choice? Be honest and don't cheat by looking up who the resume belongs to.

Coach A
11 years position coach
3 years non P5 coordinator
3 years P5 coordinator
4 years head coach (34-19 record, record per year matched or exceeded previous year, 2-2 in bowl games)

Coach B
7 years position coach
5 years P5 coordinator
6 years head coach (49-27 record, 1-2 in bowl games)

Coach C
12 years position coach
6 years head coach (45-23 record 3-0 in bowl games)
I like bowl wins

I'll take C

I like bowl wins

I'll take C
Does the bowl and opponent matter to you? For example, let's say C has won the Belk bowl three times against teams that were 7-5, 7-5 and 6-6. Coach B has won the peach bowl against an sec team with a loss in a NY6 bowl and in another peach bowl.

ETA: Fed has three bowl wins as well.

Every sport at UNC is good or great except football UNC has wanted it this way for as long as i can remember This IS not on accident! Want proof? What exactly has Bubba done to/for UNC football since he arrived?

Every sport at UNC is good or great except football UNC has wanted it this way for as long as i can remember This IS not on accident! Want proof? What exactly has Bubba done to/for UNC football since he arrived?

It’s a culture thing no doubt..Also it was going on long before Bubba got to town or Fed...

Does the bowl and opponent matter to you? For example, let's say C has won the Belk bowl three times against teams that were 7-5, 7-5 and 6-6. Coach B has won the peach bowl against an sec team with a loss in a NY6 bowl and in another peach bowl.

ETA: Fed has three bowl wins as well.
I don't know. I'm just trying to get the names!

Reactions: TarHeelMark
Practice facilities, improvements to the stadium, making the deal with Nike to switch to Jordan brand (that helps with recruiting). Should I continue to educate you or is that enough?

Reactions: Archer2
Soooo, you are convinced that the AD and other higher-ups in the UNC organization are intentionally making sure that UNC does not succeed in the most lucrative sport in the nation?

Soooo, you are convinced that the AD and other higher-ups in the UNC organization are intentionally making sure that UNC does not succeed in the most lucrative sport in the nation?
Unfortunately he's not the only one. There are many who do that even though the facts say otherwise.

i am from chapel hill. This is not old news. Shall i educate you on the last 23 years of UNC football.

UNC has one of the top law schools in the nation yet ALLOWED the NCAA to destroy the football program for 10 years! Do you really think any other school would have allowed this? And for what, kids took 40,000 or less. What goes on in Durham is far more prolific, everyone who has been around knows this.....

i am from chapel hill. This is not old news. Shall i educate you on the last 23 years of UNC football.
Bubba hasn't been around for 23 years. You going to blame him for shit that happened before he got here? I see you conveniently left out my reply about what Bubba has done to try to make things better. Guess it doesn't fit your narrative.

UNC has one of the top law schools in the nation yet ALLOWED the NCAA to destroy the football program for 10 years! Do you really think any other school would have allowed this? And for what, kids took 40,000 or less
Seriously? Either you didn't pay attention to what was going on or you didn't understand it.

Last edited:
stunnedram keep burying your head in the sand....Sorry the truth hurts ..

Last edited:
Under Bubba we are the laughingstock of the ACC. What has changed on the field? That is the end product.

Stunnedram, in five years do you think UNC will be a top 25 program or mediocre? With or without Bubba.....Will we hire a big name, or more of the same?

Stunnedram, in five years do you think UNC will be a top 25 program or mediocre? With or without Bubba.....Will we hire a big name, or more of the same?
mancrystallball1.gif

I think i like A), but seeing each year for progression would be interesting, and of course knowing which school would be interesting.

in 23 years we have updated stadium and facilities numerous times. If you want a mediocre program you hire Torbush, Bunting, Withers as replacement coach (seriously), and keep letting Fedora run program into the ground....With the following hires i dont even see how you could make the argument that we seriously want to be a legitimate football program much less a powerhouse.

Last edited:
in 23 years we have updated stadium and facilities numerous times. If you want a mediocre program you hire Torbush, Bunting, Withers as replacement coach (seriously), and keep letting Fedora run program into the ground....
Withers was bad enough, but when he realized he was not a serious candidate for the job, he hurt the program with bad talk. I never cared for him as a DC (the EW Prevent made terrible QBs look good the final few minutes of games), but I despised him as our interim.

Withers was bad enough, but when he realized he was not a serious candidate for the job, he hurt the program with bad talk. I never cared for him as a DC (the EW Prevent made terrible QBs look good the final few minutes of games), but I despised him as our interim.
He was a traitor. He is dead to me.

Let me guys ask you a question. If I presented three coaches with the resumes below, would you take coach A, coach B or coach C as your first choice and which one as your second choice? Be honest and don't cheat by looking up who the resume belongs to.

Coach A
11 years position coach
3 years P5 coordinator
4 years head coach (34-19 record, record per year matched or exceeded previous year, 2-2 in bowl games)

Coach B
7 years position coach
5 years P5 coordinator

Coach C
12 years position coach

I'd probably go B? Seems like the youngest of the 3 given the years of service. P5 coordinator trumps non-P5 coordinator.

Obviously the important information that you've left out is what conference (if even FBS) the head coaching years are for each, and what those bowl games are. I'd rather someone that was 0-3 in NY6 bowls than someone who has won the Belk bowl 10 straight years.

So who are they?

Reactions: lerario
I would say there is likely more than one step between where we are and where we want to be. Would love to be challenging for ACC CGs and NY6 bowls but at this point we need to get to 8-9 win seasons, challenging for ACC Coastals and getting to decent bowl games. We've got to find someone who can recruit better (balanced classes at all positions - lots of DBs/WRs per class doesn't cut it), who understands defense matters, and can develop talent and provide game prep/management. With our general schedule there should be several guys who can get us there. Once we are relevant maybe we can take the next step to double digit wins - should be much easier because recruiting should be much easier.

Coach A
11 years position coach
3 years P5 coordinator

Coach B
7 years position coach
5 years P5 coordinator

Coach C
12 years position coach

The last guy I'd take is Coach A... he looks like straight trash.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Not to burst any bubbles including mine but:

Did anyone see Georgia Tech run all over Bud Foster's VT defense the other night?
Just as important, the GT defense severely limited the VT offense. That defense was designed and led by Nate Woody (former DC for APP State). Maybe all of Satterfield's magic wasn't all him. Look at Clawson's (WF) trajectory over the last two years since Mike Elko left as DC at Wake.
Satterfield had no way to stop Georgia Southern's triple option this week either, as the now 7-1 Eagles ran all over APP 34-14.

What we don't or can't see in a HC coaching candidate is what kind of staff can he assemble. When Curm came from Miami, he brought his entire staff with him, but as those assistants left for other jobs, Crum was never able to replace them with as good or better coaches. Wake's defense is not as good as it was and neither is Appalachian's.

Just some food for thought.

Not to burst any bubbles including mine but:

Did anyone see Georgia Tech run all over Bud Foster's VT defense the other night?
Just as important, the GT defense severely limited the VT offense. That defense was designed and led by Nate Woody (former DC for APP State). Maybe all of Satterfield's magic wasn't all him. Look at Clawson's (WF) trajectory over the last two years since Mike Elko left as DC at Wake.
Satterfield had no way to stop Georgia Southern's triple option this week either, as the now 7-1 Eagles ran all over APP 34-14.

What we don't or can't see in a HC coaching candidate is what kind of staff can he assemble. When Curm came from Miami, he brought his entire staff with him, but as those assistants left for other jobs, Crum was never able to replace them with as good or better coaches. Wake's defense is not as good as it was and neither is Appalachian's.

Just some food for thought.
True. The HC could be a genius, but if he can't land top assistants, especially OC and DC and at least 1 top recruiter, he will often look like something akin to a dolt.

Fedora can't keep his best assistants and seems increasingly poor at landing good replacements.

Losing best assistants and not landing good replacements. What does that make you think woadblue?

Losing best assistants and not landing good replacements. What does that make you think woadblue?
Time to go, because there are no major signs anything can be turned around for more than a year, with multiple signs that things are on a hard decline.

I think I should say this about Crum's assistants: he did keep Randy Walker the entire time. Walker played for Crum at Miami of OH and was loyal to to the max). As much as I wanted Crum fired, I would have been happy to see Walker, the OC, take over as HC. He was loved and deeply respected by players and their families. He did not campaign for the UNC job because he would have seen that as disloyalty to Crum, but a number of people on the scene said he wanted it. He instead took the HC job at his alma mater and took Kevin Wilson with him. I wanted walker to replace Mack Brown, but Baddour knew better and gave us Torbush. A year later, Walker was the HC who turned Northwestern from the worst Loser in a Major conference into a team making bowls. The Wildcats were 8-4 his 2nd year in 2000 - the year we fired Torbush and hired Bunting.

UNC's history of screw ups with football coaches is truly maddening.

Have read so many comments about potential future coaches. I think consideration should be Campbell the coach at Iowa state. He has really built up that program and they are more competitive in the big 12. Many of you have rated the ability to build a program. He has and is still building that program. Believe he meets this requirement. Certainly he must be considered.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT