ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Tournament (2024) Thread

Yeah what a tough road!!!!!! Sarcastic comment anyway dook always gets the breaks and the their insufferable childish fans applaud them for being such warriors and playing with such courage. What a load!!! They never beat UH if the all American stays in the game...least deserving elite team in ncaa history

It’s incredible how much things had to go right for NC State to beat Virginia in the ACC tournament. Virginia missed 3 of 4 FTs and then the front end of a 1 and 1 from like and 85% shooter. Then they got fouled on a 3 and then made a 3 at the buzzer to tie where UVA had ample opportunity to foul up 3.

Sports are really weird sometimes.

It’s incredible how much things had to go right for NC State to beat Virginia in the ACC tournament. Virginia missed 3 of 4 FTs and then the front end of a 1 and 1 from like and 85% shooter. Then they got fouled on a 3 and then made a 3 at the buzzer to tie where UVA had ample opportunity to foul up 3.

Sports are really weird sometimes.
Yes. And to tie this to us - I just want to BLAST people that are on Withers for him taking that 3 as “the dumbest play in the tourney”. No - just in the few games I watched - uva not fouling ncst was way dumber - like 3 or 4 dumb plays all in one.

Same goes for Houston and letting (I don’t recall the team) get a 3 off, with Houston up 3 with 1.2 seconds left).

How do these coaches justify keeping their jobs? They have like a 0.1% or less chance of losing if they foul. In uva case they had like 3 fouls to give with 5 seconds left so if they keep fouling probably no fg OR ft shots could even be attempted by NC ST. Just flat out stupid. Like they don’t know the rules of basketball

These tweets aged well
Screenshot-20240330-194110.png

Unless Alabama makes like 25 3s against them, I don't think anyone is beating them when they're at full strength. This could rival, if not exceed our 2009 run.

Last year already did, except they were a 4 seed. They won every game by double digits like we did in ‘09

I’m not sure why some of you guys stay Carolina fans. Is it that you already own gear? Hurley? Be serious.
We are serious. Are we supposed to say whoever the Heels choose as coach is automatically the best they could do of all possibilities? Just because he’s a Carolina guy, nice guy, whatever? Does that go for Gut and Doherty too?

would you say - in hindsight if we could have had Hurley over Hubs - we shouldn’t have interviewed Hurley?

Maybe hubs is a better recruiter but that means Hurley does more with less. On a strategy standpoint I think Hurley is a better strategy and offensive mind coach than hubs and it isn’t even close.

No way does Hurley lose that game on Thursday like Hubs did. He’d have had way better sub patterns and attacked the paint and used his best players.

Guys we all know that unc will always defer to hiring a unc guy vs looking outside the Carolina family. Support Hubert as long as he’s the coach.

We are serious. Are we supposed to say whoever the Heels choose as coach is automatically the best they could do of all possibilities? Just because he’s a Carolina guy, nice guy, whatever? Does that go for Gut and Doherty too?

would you say - in hindsight if we could have had Hurley over Hubs - we shouldn’t have interviewed Hurley?

Maybe hubs is a better recruiter but that means Hurley does more with less. On a strategy standpoint I think Hurley is a better strategy and offensive mind coach than hubs and it isn’t even close.

No way does Hurley lose that game on Thursday like Hubs did. He’d have had way better sub patterns and attacked the paint and used his best players.
It’s also no surprise that Hurley is a better coach today. Hurley had 8 years of experience before getting the UConn job. He had failures at UConn too and obviously has improved from it.

Hubert took over one of the 4 or 5 most important programs in college basketball and his qualifications was basically one thing. Played at UNC.

Hopefully Hubert will grow and learn every year. But we have a developing head coach who was probably under-qualified for this job.

And the game is different today. I don’t think this is as relatable as Roy taking over Kansas with no HC experience. Although ironic that UNC and Duke both went that route.

We’ll see how it works out.

Hurley also fits UConn. He’s a northeast a-hole, lol. And that fits that culture. Fit is really important in any profession.

• Love
Reactions: Heelicious
It’s also no surprise that Hurley is a better coach today. Hurley had 8 years of experience before getting the UConn job. He had failures at UConn too and obviously has improved from it.

Hubert took over one of the 4 or 5 most important programs in college basketball and his qualifications was basically one thing. Played at UNC.

Hopefully Hubert will grow and learn every year. But we have a developing head coach who was probably under-qualified for this job.

And the game is different today. I don’t think this is as relatable as Roy taking over Kansas with no HC experience. Although ironic that UNC and Duke both went that route.

We’ll see how it works out.

Hurley also fits UConn. He’s a northeast a-hole, lol. And that fits that culture. Fit is really important in any profession.
Great post. Every word, true. I can’t stand Hurley - you’re right he’s maybe biggest whiny B—ch ahole in the game - but I would overlook that as a fan if he has teams that play the right way, clean , with good strategy, and keeps the UNC family traditions. - and WINS at or above expectations- which he sure has

. I think he was always destined to be. A northeast guy - or a dook guy if anything- with I think the whole Hurley family connections to Dook.

it's insane... I dunno how Alabama lost so many games!
They’re a historically bad defense to make the Final Four. They might be the worst adjusted defensive efficiency team to make the Final Four.

They also lost to a bunch of really good teams. They lost to like half the teams that made the S16. Bama played Creighton, Purdue, and Arizona in consecutive games in the regular season, lol.

They’re a historically bad defense to make the Final Four. They might be the worst adjusted defensive efficiency team to make the Final Four.

They also lost to a bunch of really good teams. They lost to like half the teams that made the S16. Bama played Creighton, Purdue, and Arizona in consecutive games in the regular season, lol.
yeah... I was just looking at their record. They lost to CLEMSON in November.

K

Yeah while not all the teams in sec did great - in regular season playing Kentucky, Tennessee- Florida Auburn once or twice each - any team is going to have some losses.

They lost enough to be a 4 seed but at start of the ncaa tourney they scared me more than anyone in the west region including AZ and Baylor. They were the top scoring offense this year - it just takes them being off from 3 to lose because they are weak and lazy and undisciplined- with little intelligence or toughness or character as a team. (Other than that I like them 🤣)

Danny Hurley would 1) never take a job at UNC and 2) would never be offered a job at UNC and 3) UNC already has a coach that is building his legacy. A Final 4, an ACC Reg Season CHampionship and a Sweet 16 run in 3 years. UNC fans are some ungrateful mf'ers.
I agree with point 1. Fans always overrate who they can get as their head coach. The reality at the top level, all of the coaches make a ton of money and if they have a good program, there’s little reason to leave.

Agree with point 2. I’m not sure UNC will ever offer a non-UNC alum the position. I don’t agree with that but obviously not my call.

3. I think Hubert’s done a good job here. This was an important year to get some regular season success after 2 unproductive regular seasons. He also made a Final Four with Caleb Love and that’s like miraculous.

Now the question is can he build a true National Title team. One that has the expectations and one that delivers. And maybe more importantly, can he sustain a high level of success.

I’m a data guy so I won’t fully judge until the end of like year 6. So I’m still in wait and see mode.

Bama has been playing very well, I may not like Oates personality, but I have zero issues with his spread and use the 3 style. He can coach, and adjust accordingly when needed. Congrats to Bama, they balled out in the first two rounds.

Yeah while not all the teams in sec did great - in regular season playing Kentucky, Tennessee- Florida Auburn once or twice each - any team is going to have some losses.

They lost enough to be a 4 seed but at start of the ncaa tourney they scared me more than anyone in the west region including AZ and Baylor. They were the top scoring offense this year - it just takes them being off from 3 to lose because they are weak and lazy and undisciplined- with little intelligence or toughness or character as a team. (Other than that I like them 🤣)
It’s easy to say right now but I feared them over maybe any other team in our region. They just play a style where it’s dangerous to play against them. Especially if you’re not used to playing them.

I also didn’t know they would do this going in but they put Nelson on Cadeau early in the game and it didn’t put Nelson at risk to get into foul trouble. Nelson had to guard the 4/5 today and got into foul trouble. Subtle coaching decision.

Nate Oats clearly knows what he’s doing. His style has a lot of variance so Alabama will get upset in future tournaments (if he’s at Alabama). As much as the game has changed, a traditional big is less likely to go 4-20 than a guard is. But that system will also get them an upset win like this year.

Goes a long way to explain why Roy’s teams seldom got upset in the tournament. Also explains why Roy’s teams never really overachieved relative to their seed line.

Reactions: Heelicious
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT