ADVERTISEMENT

NFL 2020-21

Put me in the camp of not being worried about the Tar Heel name as well.

The Redskins name didn’t get dropped because of cultural appropriation. It got dropped because a lot of people consider the word ‘redskin’ to be a racist slur.

I don’t care enough to argue one way or the other, but it’s clearly different than Seminole, Braves or Chiefs. Whether or not that means they’ll stick around is a different question.
Once there are protests, it's only a matter of time. I'm not "worried" about it. I just know it's coming. I'm "ready" for it, is a better way to put it.

Tar Heels is probably more precarious than the Native American names. UNC Chapel Hill is like Berkeley California-East. The people up high already know it refers to Confederate Soldiers. Their own History Department cannot defend it or deny it. In fact, when you dig deeper to the name's origin, it gets even worse. The people who were typically tasked with extracting the tar and turpentine were... you guessed it... SLAVES! That's even worse than Confederate soldiers!

If more of these events happen, with more people, you can toss your Tar Heels gear!

Encore:

tenor.gif

• Haha
Reactions: tarheel0910
RIP Marty Schottenheimer. Just heard he passed a few days ago. He was living in Charlotte?

Anyway, I swear I saw that dude in a Wendy's in Virginia / Maryland 20 years or so ago. Maybe about the time he was coaching the Skins.

Reactions: gteeitup
@gteeitup
@Heelicious

What's up with your boys 2021 hype video? Apparently, there was no Dak in any of the highlights. Are they sending him a message or what?

i’ve heard two different stories with this.

first, new guy running the opp and because dak didn’t play most of the year, he just left him off...that is literally what a reporter reported.

second, yes, lol.

they f’d this up because of the years, not even the money...he wanted four, they wanted five...if he’s not signed by the draft, then they’ll tag him again or trade him i guess.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
Lots more qb's might be changing teams this year than we originally thought if Dak gets traded too. Even rumors now that the former Wisconsin qb is tired of getting hit behind that seahawks OL.

Lots more qb's might be changing teams this year than we originally thought if Dak gets traded too. Even rumors now that the former Wisconsin qb is tired of getting hit behind that seahawks OL.

reading about that...so if you’re washington, you have everything but a qb, so do you offer the next three years of top picks for russ or watson?

i don’t think cam makes them better.

and this wentz thing, wow.

reading about that...so if you’re washington, you have everything but a qb, so do you offer the next three years of top picks for russ or watson?

i don’t think cam makes them better.

and this wentz thing, wow.
If WFT got Watson... wow. They have a legit D.

Wentz wants to go to Indy, right? and reunite with Reich?

I'd take that former Wisconsin qb in Carolina. He's still got some good years left in him, but I'm thinking he stays in Seattle.

But Cam... I think that dude is just a shell of himself.

@strummingram i sh*t you not, i grew up watching that stuff...sure, i rode my bike, watch the tar heels, and went to the movies with friends.

but my secret “getaway” was watching nfl films and i would watch every team’s season in review, the bloopers, the best of, etc...not sure why, but i can still just watch old nfl films and games.

@strummingram i sh*t you not, i grew up watching that stuff...sure, i rode my bike, watch the tar heels, and went to the movies with friends.

but my secret “getaway” was watching nfl films and i would watch every team’s season in review, the bloopers, the best of, etc...not sure why, but i can still just watch old nfl films and games.
It's really wild watching them now... the way they hit back then. And, I was watching one, recently, and you'd see the guys on the sidelines with their helmets off... and some of them looked like they were in their 50's!

This one has a feature of Dick Butkus! They will hit each other like trains! Not that you don't see them hit hard nowadays. But, I dunno... back then, it just seemed like they slammed into each other more, and they had those gigantic shoulder pads and bigger jerseys, and those big white collar rings! The rules were much less stringent when it came to the physicality.

It reminds me of being a little kid and getting my first Rawlings Redskins "Junior All Pro" outfit with the whole set up. I still have the helmet, with the two bars facemask. The other guys in my neighborhood had different ones. But, about 4 of us had Redskins helmets and jerseys. We'd play ad-hoc games all fall and winter.
WASHINGTON-REDSKINS-Rawlings-NFL-HELMET-2-Bar-Facemask-W-original.jpg

Last edited:
panthers releasing some dudes, moving salaries around....hmmmm.
I heard something like possibly offering 3 no. 1's, and Run-CMC. At first I thought no way on trading McCaffery. However he barely played last year (and he's had a LOT of touches / hits so far in his career), and RB's life-span is short anyway, so maybe it's not that big a deal.

The Panthers went 5-11 last year, but they lost 8 one score games where they had the ball with a chance to win or tie in the last few minutes and failed. With a high caliber QB, maybe they win 4 or 5 of those games and are at least wildcard contenders.

I heard something like possibly offering 3 no. 1's, and Run-CMC. At first I thought no way on trading McCaffery. However he barely played last year (and he's had a LOT of touches / hits so far in his career), and RB's life-span is short anyway, so maybe it's not that big a deal.

The Panthers went 5-11 last year, but they lost 8 one score games where they had the ball with a chance to win or tie in the last few minutes and failed. With a high caliber QB, maybe they win 4 or 5 of those games and are at least wildcard contenders.

that’s very expensive and i’m not even weighing the cmc as part of that expense...like you said, to get outta that rb contract for an elite qb, it’s a decision they have to consider.

three 1sts are what reduce my excitement, tbh...two are bad enough, lol...when dallas traded two 1sts for joey galloway i was stoked because they were a receiver away from being good again...then he tore his acl week one and i swore i’d never be for that kind of deal again...the entire reason that trade occurred was because two years before jerry passed on randy moss, so his motives were pretty clear.

Reactions: Heelicious
@gteeitup 4 years $160M total for Dak. Something like $ 122M guaranteed which is a record. I think I am OK with it. $42M per year seems high for anybody in any sport, but if healthy I think Dak can be a top 6-8 QB in the league, especially if they upgrade the holes in their O-line.

He has great WRs and backs to work with. And Cowboys aren't going anywhere with an average QB, to go along with an average-at-best defense. They need to score and Dak can do that for them.

4 years isn't a crazy long time to be under contract with one guy, if he doesn't come back as strong. He is 28, so should be near his prime from an athletic / QB game knowledge standpoint. Not on the downhill slide of mid-30s for most QBs.

You compare this deal to what people like Wentz and Cousins (here in Minnesota) got, and Dak's is totally justified. I guess comparing his deal to people like Mahomes, Russell Wilson, Deshawn Jackson, etc might be better comparisons. And having a QB already familiar with the system is worth quite a bit. And Dak sells a lot of tickets and is a fan favorite, which is what is most important I suppose. You can't question his fight or his competitive spirit. I just hope he works to become a more consistent accurate passer.

@gteeitup 4 years $160M total for Dak. Something like $ 122M guaranteed which is a record. I think I am OK with it. $42M per year seems high for anybody in any sport, but if healthy I think Dak can be a top 6-8 QB in the league, especially if they upgrade the holes in their O-line.

He has great WRs and backs to work with. And Cowboys aren't going anywhere with an average QB, to go along with an average-at-best defense. They need to score and Dak can do that for them.

4 years isn't a crazy long time to be under contract with one guy, if he doesn't come back as strong. He is 28, so should be near his prime from an athletic / QB game knowledge standpoint. Not on the downhill slide of mid-30s for most QBs.

You compare this deal to what people like Wentz and Cousins (here in Minnesota) got, and Dak's is totally justified. I guess comparing his deal to people like Mahomes, Russell Wilson, Deshawn Jackson, etc might be better comparisons. And having a QB already familiar with the system is worth quite a bit. And Dak sells a lot of tickets and is a fan favorite, which is what is most important I suppose. You can't question his fight or his competitive spirit. I just hope he works to become a more consistent accurate passer.

looking forward to seeing the voidable stuff...i bet it’s cap friendly with bonuses, out clauses, and stuff...he’s good enough, top 10, to take a team to a title, but if they think they need an elite rb or multiple elite receivers, they aren’t learning from current and past mistakes.

i’d trade zeke and amari now, draft a back and a receiver or two.

@Heelicious looks like about $22 mill this year as opposed to $37.7 with the tag and then voidable shit after...this looks amazing right now, if he’s healthy.

if they can sign some free agents and maybe shed a couple of salaries, they just need to draft well again.

Yes it is likely they may need to part with one of their big 3 WRs but maybe they can trade for good defenders in secondary or draft picks for secondary. They need good corners and safeties and linebackers really bad. Need one or two more o linemen too. I wouldn’t mind them moving zeke either. He is a good back but the difference between him and anyone they could draft, isn’t that large. He’s been a sort of slow turnover machine last couple years.

In a passing league you can’t tie up huge premium money in RBs either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT