ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina football discussion thread

if you want to know what's wrong with this country, just do a simple search on NIL as it pertains to the legalities. First, an athlete needs to know the laws or rules of four or five different agencies. He first of all has to abide by the laws, if any, of his state. NC doesn't seem to have one, so I checked out South Carolina.

up-to-the-neck legalistic bullshit

An athlete would have to be an aspiring lawyer to read and appreciate all of this, and any aspiring lawyer who did might decide to instead become a basket weaver (which is a degree at South Carolina, I'm told).

After the state, there's the NCAA and then a few other regulatory things to check out, all of which will be more-or-less ignored until somebody tosses a turd into the fan. And that of course would be a jealous rival.

I understand the need to present a thoroughly applicable letter of the law so that legal types have something to chew on when the time comes, but if I was in charge I'd make it mandatory to present alongside it a clear, in-plain-English summary that includes the intent and spirit of whatever has been spelled out in legalese. Then when someone says 'well, you know he didn't actually violate the letter of the law', he could be nailed by the intent

All this being said, I thought that no school could offer anything at any time, but that an athlete could be guided once in place. Sounds like I'm wrong but I'm not wading through an ocean of crap to try to figure it out.

Any help would be appreciated.

as i posted on the previous page, south carolina is using one win over clemson last week to build a fund to provide to current football players…it’s freakin genius here because a) new coach sees the big picture b) they hadn’t beaten clemson in seven years so fans will eat that up and donate

this is part of the reason gg decided to attend scarolina…the immediate benefits won out, national exposure and competition be damned…he’ll essentially be entering the league already a millionaire.

so, a trust is established and that is who is doing the offering it seems. They state plainly that they are not part of USC, but work closely with it. That seems to me to closely resemble the booster relationship, and as we all know, boosters can not offer or provide benefits directly to athletes.

I assume they have cleared this with all the pertinent entities, but it seems a tad shaky to me. There is more detail in this arrangement that I'd like to make myself aware of, like exactly how benefits are offered and arranged.......and also, if this is on the up and up, why we aren't doing something similar.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
How's it any different than ours? Serious question. I don't know.

I know we have CH NIL Club and Heels4Life.
my understanding is that both of these entities fall short of offering benefits directly, but rather act as exchanges for relationships with those who could legally offer benefits directly. Heels4Life is more active in getting the athlete and the payor together, but neither is involved in collecting and offering benefits on behalf of payors.

Of course, I could be wrong.

I imagine it's a mess. What's going to happen when these kids get in trouble for tax issues. Imagine being 19 and handed a million dollar bill and told you need to be responsible, especially if you have done without your whole life. Look at all the broke former NBA players in our country, some who made good money

my understanding is that both of these entities fall short of offering benefits directly, but rather act as exchanges for relationships with those who could legally offer benefits directly. Heels4Life is more active in getting the athlete and the payor together, but neither is involved in collecting and offering benefits on behalf of payors.

Of course, I could be wrong.
I think they're both technically "collectives." But they operate differently from one another. I wanna say you're right about Heels4Life in that it's more of an exchange, but independent from UNC's comprehensive program. The NIL Club is more player driven. That money should go to the players minus whatever the platform charges which I think is like 15% or 20%. Disclaimer here is that like you I'm not entirely sure.

Last edited:
I imagine it's a mess. What's going to happen when these kids get in trouble for tax issues. Imagine being 19 and handed a million dollar bill and told you need to be responsible, especially if you have done without your whole life. Look at all the broke former NBA players in our country, some who made good money
Freshmen in HS have NIL valuations now. It's insane.

They don't a very good job advertising it imo, but you don't have to be an alum. Your money spends the same as everyone else's. In fact, it probably goes further than mine lol.
i meant because i’m an alum of south carolina i get peppered daily with sh*t from them…i have yet to give them any money and haven’t since my last year in school in the mid 90’s.

i’m a tar heel born and bred, so maybe i’ll pitch in there. 😉

I know we have CH NIL Club and Heels4Life.
I can't image paying a ton of money to an individual athlete to compete in a sport. Maybe i'd do a tiny bit of money on a game by game basis. I'm not paying a dime above ticket to see our guys compete against FAMU or even UVA.

I'm okay helping with scholarships, but for other money what's the ROI? Who payed big money hoping our 5* like Travis Shaw or Rice or Des Evans would be studs? Or Omarion Hampton?

Drake is a difference-maker, but if someone said pay X dollars or Drake is going to another university i'd decline. These guys could tear a ligament in spring practice... or while falling drunk after a hall-crawl. If someone said pay X dollars or Drake sits out the Clemson game, i'd *maybe* toss in a few bucks because i'm buying a tiny bit more entertainment.

I think they're both technically "collectives." But they operate differently from one another. I wanna say you're right about Heels4Life in that it's more of an exchange, but independent from UNC's comprehensive program. The NIL Club is more player driven. That money should go to the players minus whatever the platform charges which I think is like 15% or 20%. Disclaimer here is that like you I'm not entirely sure.
not sure I follow you exactly, but my understanding and the point that matters is that neither org. involves itself in the actual transaction between player and payor; the former is just providing a setting where the two can make their own arrangements, and the latter is the same except they actively try to seek out partners for the players and vice versa. The Garnet deal at USC, on the other hand, seems to be collecting funds from payors and then it involves itself in the divvying up of those funds.

But as you said, I could be wrong. Hell, I thought we were going to beat Georgia Tech.

• Haha
I had exactly the same thought about taxes and all the complexities of managing large money, both coming in and going out. It's almost guaranteed that a lot of kids are going to get in trouble on both ends. No wonder Biden is bringing on board enough new IRS agents to assign one to every college athlete.

Reactions: Grayhead
not sure I follow you exactly, but my understanding and the point that matters is that neither org. involves itself in the actual transaction between player and payor; the former is just providing a setting where the two can make their own arrangements, and the latter is the same except they actively try to seek out partners for the players and vice versa. The Garnet deal at USC, on the other hand, seems to be collecting funds from payors and then it involves itself in the divvying up of those funds.

But as you said, I could be wrong. Hell, I thought we were going to beat Georgia Tech.
I looked. The GT deal at SC appears to be more robust. Maybe we can get @gteeitup to check them both out and report back with the details.

Reactions: bluetoe
I can't image paying a ton of money to an individual athlete to compete in a sport. Maybe i'd do a tiny bit of money on a game by game basis. I'm not paying a dime above ticket to see our guys compete against FAMU or even UVA.

I'm okay helping with scholarships, but for other money what's the ROI? Who payed big money hoping our 5* like Travis Shaw or Rice or Des Evans would be studs? Or Omarion Hampton?

Drake is a difference-maker, but if someone said pay X dollars or Drake is going to another university i'd decline. These guys could tear a ligament in spring practice... or while falling drunk after a hall-crawl. If someone said pay X dollars or Drake sits out the Clemson game, i'd *maybe* toss in a few bucks because i'm buying a tiny bit more entertainment.
that's one way of looking at it, but it looks like recruiting is fast becoming an outright money game. Fanbases more willing to inject simoleons into their recruiting coffers will get the best players. And you know what the best players tend to do, they tend to play better.

I think this is eventually going to become club sports with a looser affiliation with the schools. Not very appealing to me but probably more the way it should be, with educational institutions actually being exclusively educational.

we may have had this discussion here right before the butch era, but i recall the topic of “athlete” or “athletics” being a new major coming soon to help the kids, especially that leave early, navigate through this…they should be teaching kids about ticket sales, merch, handlers, etc.

I looked. The GT deal at SC appears to be more robust. Maybe we can get @gteeitup to check them both out and report back with the details.
hmmm…lol i can try

i also thought carolina would beat gatech though…i do think they’ll best clemson tomorrow, they just lost a receiver.

• Haha
we may have had this discussion here right before the butch era, but i recall the topic of “athlete” or “athletics” being a new major coming soon to help the kids, especially that leave early, navigate through this…they should be teaching kids about ticket sales, merch, handlers, etc
Here's your "athletics" major. Not sure how long it's been around. I would imagine a class about NIL will be added at some point.

Here's your "athletics" major. Not sure how long it's been around. I would imagine a class about NIL will be added at some point.

many schools have that…i almost went in that direction…what steered me away was in order to make this work for me(i played golf) i’d probably have to go to law school to make a career out of it if i didn’t turn pro…obviously very few athletes majored in sports admin because they just wanted to remain eligible in your basic degree programs…some people i went to school with wanted to be agents, so they went to law school having majored in sports admin…the last thing i wanted was to continue to go to school haha.

i stopped playing golf and had to immediately make a choice…back then(90’s) there were no classes on managing money, brand recognition, hiring agents, etc even though it was clear this was a thing even then.

The football gods are just tormenting us at this point. I bet Michigan chokes tomorrow too.

I know UGA would’ve killed us but still…

Reactions: bleeduncblue
Holiday Bowl vs Oregon
I remember saying that when we played Clemson that at least we'd be playing a 1st string QB... and I was concerned that Cade Klubkin would play. I gotta believe that Bo Nix plays. But, Bo Nix will carve the UNC defense up. 4 losses in a row pretty, at the end, kills everything good about whatever 9 wins amounted to during the season.

GT, NCSU and Clemson figured out how to shut UNC's offense down- force them to score in the red zone.

I always expect UNC football teams to lose every game. That way, I'm never disappointed.

I remember saying that when we played Clemson that at least we'd be playing a 1st string QB... and I was concerned that Cade Klubkin would play. I gotta believe that Bo Nix plays. But, Bo Nix will carve the UNC defense up. 4 losses in a row pretty, at the end, kills everything good about whatever 9 wins amounted to during the season.

GT, NCSU and Clemson figured out how to shut UNC's offense down- force them to score in the red zone.

I always expect UNC football teams to lose every game. That way, I'm never disappointed.
I would be shocked if he does play. He's a top NFL prospect. They don't usually play in meaningless bowls. He might be an exception, though. Don't think it matters. We'll play like shit no matter who we face.

I would be shocked if he does play. He's a top NFL prospect. They don't usually play in meaningless bowls. He might be an exception, though. Don't think it matters. We'll play like shit no matter who we face.
Oh, really??? Is Nix ready to go pro??? I didn't know that. I don't follow pac12 at all. If he doesn't play then we'll get boat-raced by the backup after having practiced for 3 weeks to play the starter!

Oh, really??? Is Nix ready to go pro??? I didn't know that. I don't follow pac12 at all. If he doesn't play then we'll get boat-raced by the backup after having practiced for 3 weeks to play the starter!
I've seen him projected as high as the first round. Most of them are in the 2-3 round. He's also a senior and it wouldn't make sense to come back for his COVID year.

Reactions: strummingram
I guess Josh Downs will be on the naughty list for opting out of the bowl? Just a guess.

I guess Josh Downs will be on the naughty list for opting out of the bowl? Just a guess.
I always figure it's just a matter of time before they quit on their next team. I realize they have to think about their future and whatever. But, every time you put yourself on the field, you risk serious, career-ending injury. Quitting on your team and teammates is pretty lame. Be a bowler, or golfer, or any sport that is not a team sport.

It doesn't bother me for this game because it's a meaningless bowl. It's probably better for the young guys to get some experience anyway. My deal with the orange bowl was it being the biggest bowl game in school history and a NY6 bowl. That's completely different than the Holiday Bowl.

Reactions: bleeduncblue
It doesn't bother me for this game because it's a meaningless bowl. It's probably better for the young guys to get some experience anyway. My deal with the orange bowl was it being the biggest bowl game in school history and a NY6 bowl. That's completely different than the Holiday Bowl.
I disagree, but you knew that! :)

Bowl games are meaningful.

As a fan i like watching any game. And as a competitor the kids usually want to compete most games unless they just hate their coaches and mates. But I still don't blame someone for choosing to secure their financial future over something like a scholarship-funded collegiate group activity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT