ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina football discussion thread

I'd like to see the stats on the number of college kids that played and were hurt in a bowl game and then dig into the numbers of how costly it was to them. This idea that life altering injuries happen in bowl games is overstated. In fact, off the top of my head, I can't think of any.

I’ve got no issue with it. Especially considering he’s been banged up all year

Need a lot of players to opt out of the lower bowls and hope it causes the bowls to shut down. The only bowls that should be in existence is the playoff games and NY6 bowls. Those will all be playoff games when they go to 12. The idea of a 6-6 or even a 7-5 team getting to play a bowl is stupid to me.

Need a lot of players to opt out of the lower bowls and hope it causes the bowls to shut down. The only bowls that should be in existence is the playoff games and NY6 bowls. Those will all be playoff games when they go to 12. The idea of a 6-6 or even a 7-5 team getting to play a bowl is stupid to me.

I do agree with that.

There should be at the very most, 15 bowls outside of the CFP. That would mean you were roughly a top 36-40 team. That seems reasonable. That means 6-6 and 7-5 teams would not be making bowl games.

I'd like to see the stats on the number of college kids that played and were hurt in a bowl game and then dig into the numbers of how costly it was to them. This idea that life altering injuries happen in bowl games is overstated. In fact, off the top of my head, I can't think of any.
Worst-case scenario of playing = an injury that slows your combine performance or worse, your handler or agent and family call you a dumb-ass and make less $ professionally. Best-case, you share a nice victory with teammates and coaches.

Worst-case scenario of sitting out - message board people call you a quitter. Best-case, you have more time to heal then workout to increase your combine performance and get a post-combine boost draft-wise.

If we were 7-5 in a game vs another 7-5 team this yr on the Wed after Xmas or something else random, would you still watch it?

Worst-case scenario of playing = an injury that slows your combine performance or worse, your handler or agent and family call you a dumb-ass and make less $ professionally. Best-case, you share a nice victory with teammates and coaches.

Worst-case scenario of sitting out - message board people call you a quitter. Best-case, you have more time to heal then workout to increase your combine performance and get a post-combine boost draft-wise.

Worst case of sitting out - you've let down your teammates that maybe won't have those professional opportunities and this game could mean the world to them. You've built relationships that could possibly be damaged by a somewhat selfish (maybe understandably so) mindset. You also potentially give the impression to GMs that you may not be the type you want in a foxhole.

I'm not saying guys that sit out are bad people and I do understand their situation. The potential - albeit very small based on my experience of watching college football - is real. And I'm sorry these guys are kind of in a no win situation.

Reactions: strummingram

Wrong. More college football is better than less college football

If we were 7-5 in a game vs another 7-5 team this yr on the Wed after Xmas or something else random, would you still watch it?
Yes, I would watch an undeserving UNC team play another undeserving team. Me watching has nothing to do with the teams deserving to play.

Reactions: strummingram
Worst case of sitting out - you've let down your teammates that maybe won't have those professional opportunities and this game could mean the world to them.
True. but ->
You've built relationships that could possibly be damaged by a somewhat selfish (maybe understandably so) mindset.
-> they probably understand the financial decision and would do the same in a heartbeat.
You also potentially give the impression to GMs that you may not be the type you want in a foxhole.
So far GMs don't seem to have any problem with players sitting out for business reasons, I don't know of anyone who dropped in the draft because of opting-out from bowls, even big ones.

Reactions: gteeitup
So far GMs don't seem to have any problem with players sitting out for business reasons, I don't know of anyone who dropped in the draft because of opting-out from bowls, even big ones.

So about the same number of guys who have dropped in the draft from being hurt in a bowl game. Gotcha.

I just don't understand the lack of interest to play in a bowl game. If you can play competitively in regular season games-- against teams like Georgia State and FAMU-- how in the hell can you decline playing in a nationally televised bowl game??? It makes no sense to me at all.

Dazz Newsome had the right attitude... "No way was I missing that game!"

I always root against players like Christian McCaffrey. Abandoning your teammates, your classmates, your school, your coaches? That's just messed up, to me. Granted, I never played on a level that included getting paid for it. So, to me, it was only about team and teammates.

Reactions: notashelbyfan
So about the same number of guys who have dropped in the draft from being hurt in a bowl game. Gotcha.
No, zero. Zero guys have been faulted by GMs. And the number who have been hurt in games is non-zero.

The risk is tiny, but the downside (getting some shit from your teammates who understand, and being called a quitter from those who don't) is tiny too.

I just don't understand the lack of interest to play in a bowl game. If you can play competitively in regular season games-- against teams like Georgia State and FAMU-- how in the hell can you decline playing in a nationally televised bowl game??? It makes no sense to me at all.

I always root against players like Christian McCaffrey. Abandoning your teammates, your classmates, your school, your coaches? That's just messed up, to me. Granted, I never played on a level that included getting paid for it. So, to me, it was only about team and teammates.
Most of america grows up paycheck-2-paycheck with zero social safety net... the smell of green is a really strong draw.

if I'm a player opting out of a bowl game, my concern over what the fans, my teammates, and my mother and father think is in inverse proportion to my projected earnings at the next level. They'll get over it, I might not.

Yes, I would watch an undeserving UNC team play another undeserving team. Me watching has nothing to do with the teams deserving to play.
no, of course not....yet the teams deserving to play has much to do with me watching. Wait, what?

I do agree with that.

There should be at the very most, 15 bowls outside of the CFP. That would mean you were roughly a top 36-40 team. That seems reasonable. That means 6-6 and 7-5 teams would not be making bowl games.
You think college is bad? The NC high school playoffs had like 60+ teams, many with losing records. Some of the smaller (1A) schools had 0 or 1 win for the season!

You think college is bad? The NC high school playoffs had like 60+ teams, many with losing records. Some of the smaller (1A) schools had 0 or 1 win for the season!

Yeah, it's definitely a participation trophy type of playoffs. Never understood why it was like that.

yep and that’s what the interview is for…it’s almost an interrogation according to some.

Soooo, close to the same number of guys who have fallen in the draft for bailing on their team.

Thanks. That’s what I figured.

Ummm, no, not close at all. Are you drunk?

ZERO have fallen in the draft for bailing. Any non-zero number and zero are kinda different. The former means it has happened, the latter means it has NEVER happened.

we’re going to find out how honest saban is now…he doesn’t recruit kids that switch high schools for reasons other than if the parents have to move.

Ummm, no, not close at all. Are you drunk?

ZERO have fallen in the draft for bailing. Any non-zero number and zero are kinda different. The former means it has happened, the latter means it has NEVER happened.
LMAO. Kinda? You are 'kinda' full of shit.

can we talk about this?

and this?

Yes, we can talk about this!!! Goalie interference was committed and should have been called right then and there. Plowing into the goalie in that area of the box is goalie interference. UCLA set up their player perfectly, but would not have
scored if our goalie was not forcefully moved out of the way. INTERFERENCE. And it was obvious in regular speed and
impossible to ignore in slow motion. Actually, it was an easy call to make; why it was not made is very questionable.

Reactions: gteeitup
Yes, we can talk about this!!! Goalie interference was committed and should have been called right then and there. Plowing into the goalie in that area of the box is goalie interference. UCLA set up their player perfectly, but would not have
scored if our goalie was not forcefully moved out of the way. INTERFERENCE. And it was obvious in regular speed and
impossible to ignore in slow motion. Actually, it was an easy call to make; why it was not made is very questionable.
like 15 fouls “counted” on ucla…it was blatantly disgusting watching that s go down.

^ As in American football, interference occurs when a player blatantly prevents an opposing player
from getting in position to make a play towards catching the ball. on soccer, only the goalie can touch the
ball with their hands, so preventing her from moving up and towards the ball with a shove
backwards is interference.
Just like Leaky was blatantly held and couldn’t get to the inbounds pass vs Alabama, defensive
plays that violate the rules ARE ILLEGAL, SHOULD BE CALLED, BUT WERE NOT.
I don’t give a darn that games were on the line. A foul is a foul and a rule is a rule.

I don't think it is a lack of interest in playing and think this is the wrong focus. Also, I completely understand your disgust with players who do this, but it's a simple matter of the calendar. Everyone who opts out of a bowl game immediately goes into draft mode that is specifically timed and tuned for them.

Getting healthy from the long season grind (everyone is fighting some type of nagging injury/problem) and training for draft specific measurables becomes the focus. Maximizing one's performance at their draft day and the combine can cement a draft position, can make it rise, or you can fall like a rock if you perform poorly. Getting hurt, as small as a % chance as it is, and/or not getting healthy and training specifically for these "tests" can be significant to individual players. Shaving tenths of seconds off a 40 time, a shuttle time, or adding reps to your bench press, increasing your vertical and so forth can all have profound impacts on a draft.

Getting drafted a round or two higher matters significantly and fans or other teammates don't make up that financial difference at the end of the day. People can be pissed all they want, but individual players have to look out for themselves because no one else does. It's one thing they actually can control and it's just a simple matter of how they choose to devote their time. They see their job at that point as all in and 100% focused on getting drafted - as high as possible and a single bowl game doesn't impact that nearly as much as predraft workouts and interviews.

Early Christmas present. Longo is leaving. Headed to Wisconsin.
He entered the portal.

I'm not happy if we're losing the system, because I think it's really good for us. But his gametime creativity had me pulling my hair out. I wonder why the lateral move.

Early Christmas present. Longo is leaving. Headed to Wisconsin.
I had a sneaking suspicion in the pre-3 losses time frame that he might leave, or get offered to leave. Then, those games occurred and they could barely score in the RZ and I thought "now, we're stuck with this shit."

I dunno what to think. I hope Drake liked Mack more than he liked Longo. I guess there are many more OC's out there that would love to develop their offense through a potential Heisman QB.

He entered the portal.

I'm not happy if we're losing the system, because I think it's really good for us. But his gametime creativity had me pulling my hair out. I wonder why the lateral move.
My guess would be money. I don't think him and Mack really got along either. Other than his play calling, small playbook, inability to adjust, inability to be creative and helping Sam drop in the draft, he was great.

My guess would be money. I don't think him and Mack really got along either. Other than his play calling, small playbook, inability to adjust, inability to be creative and helping Sam drop in the draft, he was great.
As long as he didn't have to score a lot from the 10 yard line to the EZ, he was okay.

I had a sneaking suspicion in the pre-3 losses time frame that he might leave, or get offered to leave. Then, those games occurred and they could barely score in the RZ and I thought "now, we're stuck with this shit."

I dunno what to think. I hope Drake liked Mack more than he liked Longo. I guess there are many more OC's out there that would love to develop their offense through a potential Heisman QB.
Our OC job is certainly attractive for next year. Beyond that, not so much. The biggest problem when it comes to getting coaches at UNC has always been money. They don't want to spend it to get a top level staff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT