ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina football discussion thread

Damn, are you ok? Blink twice if you are in danger and need help. It's unusual for you to expect L's against teams like Minnesota.

Recipe for disaster. Big along both lines, they come from a league that is known for more physical football than we’re used to seeing. They’re going to control both lines of scrimmage. Offense hasn’t been firing on all cylinders so can’t expect to just outgun them.

Recipe for disaster. Big along both lines, they come from a league that is known for more physical football than we’re used to seeing. They’re going to control both lines of scrimmage. Offense hasn’t been firing on all cylinders so can’t expect to just outgun them.
O ye of little faith.

I feel like we pretty much dominated that game, but we couldn't ever really pull away until the fourth. That's going to come back to bite us at some point. We have a pretty favorable schedule leading up to Clemson. Miami and duke should be our biggest challenges, but they are both at home. It would be pretty awesome to be undefeated vs a one loss Clemson. That's probably a top 10 game. I'm sure we'll find a way to **** it up and lose two games before that. Still nice to think about.

there are legit stars on defense, especially now in the secondary…gotta love huzzie, chatman, and lane…the front will keep carolina in games because they keep coming and it appears they are pretty deep…we talk about evans, rucker and gainer, but atkinson is also a dude.

still don’t like the exposure maye gets in the pocket or when he’s running…he’s got to slide or throw it away or he’ll be out due to injury.

there are legit stars on defense, especially now in the secondary…gotta love huzzie, chatman, and lane…the front will keep carolina in games because they keep coming and it appears they are pretty deep…we talk about evans, rucker and gainer, but atkinson is also a dude.

still don’t like the exposure maye gets in the pocket or when he’s running…he’s got to slide or throw it away or he’ll be out due to injury.
Going to have to disagree on the secondary right now. I think they are definitely the weak link on D and it's going to show against any QB that is at least somewhat decent. WR room needs to seriously step it up too and the OL is more of the same. It's still been a pretty good start to the season, though. I'm starting to get sucked in.

Going to have to disagree on the secondary right now. I think they are definitely the weak link on D and it's going to show against any QB that is at least somewhat decent. WR room needs to seriously step it up too and the OL is more of the same. It's still been a pretty good start to the season, though. I'm starting to get sucked in.
They dangle the carrot.

Reactions: blazers
I think the secondary is weak. Front 7 is decent but still gets pushed around by physical teams. Kind of have that bend/don’t break style though. Drake made some terrible decisions yesterday; taking that sideline hit being one of the most egregious. And WTF on that terrible INT? We won that game going away largely because Minnesota’s QB play was trash. Got a lot to clean up but I do see the potential. How about McCollum? That dude put in work yesterday.

We won that game going away largely because Minnesota’s QB play was trash.
what I took away from the game is something that unfortunately I take away from too many of our wins...we earned them based more on the ineptitude of the other team, not our outstanding play. A lot of people say a win is a win but I say there are wins, and then there are wins. Our last two games were not great or even good wins. And when you stumble to a win over lesser competition, three things are apparent....something isn't clicking like it should; somebody is going to beat us who shouldn't; and somebody is going to lay the wood to us.

But there is that one thing you mentioned...McCollum was amazing.

If anyone watched the Colorado/Colorado State game last night, you saw quite a show. We have a great QB, no question. But those two QB's last night were taking abundant advantage of the area I keep saying we should be exploiting, set up by thoughtful play calling. And it was fun to watch.

as a unit, yes, they are the weakest part…i said stars, though…they finally have the talent at certain positions that also understand how and what to do in this scheme…yes, they need more guys to step up.

if you’re aren’t going to jam and play press, you better be able to tackle or stay with your man until the pressure gets home…also, i already see more pd’s than last year, so that’s encouraging.

as a unit, yes, they are the weakest part…i said stars, though…they finally have the talent at certain positions that also understand how and what to do in this scheme…yes, they need more guys to step up.

if you’re aren’t going to jam and play press, you better be able to tackle or stay with your man until the pressure gets home…also, i already see more pd’s than last year, so that’s encouraging.
Armani Chatman looked like an experienced guy who knew what route was coming. But Minn passing GM was pathetic and the other guys seemed to have beaten Chatman on camp sooo ....?

Armani Chatman looked like an experienced guy who knew what route was coming. But Minn passing GM was pathetic and the other guys seemed to have beaten Chatman on camp sooo ....?
think he’s played well so far…can you imagine grimes and duck looking for the receiver then the ball?

the secondary is improved, minus 20( i realize he’s new)…i don’t know what he adds other than length…he might be too big to play corner…add weight and put him at star??

Reactions: blazers
It's going to be a different story if we get matched up against a decent QB that isn't hiding behind a terrible OL.

Pair that with a DL that can disrupt our offense and its a recipe for disaster.

We typically seem to make Pitt QB's look like NFL superstars so that's something to consider this week.

I feel like we pretty much dominated that game, but we couldn't ever really pull away until the fourth. That's going to come back to bite us at some point. We have a pretty favorable schedule leading up to Clemson. Miami and duke should be our biggest challenges, but they are both at home. It would be pretty awesome to be undefeated vs a one loss Clemson. That's probably a top 10 game. I'm sure we'll find a way to **** it up and lose two games before that. Still nice to think about.
Found Footage Video GIF by Eternal Family

Reactions: bluetoe
Mack has never beat Pitt as a head coach. But the same was true of App State until a couple weeks ago.

it disturbs me that we lost two in a row to them after that awesome streak of games that we won by a close margin in each game. The Pitt coach was way past frustrated.

I've never seen a group of people so excited about being 4-0. You guys are nuts.
haven’t finished the pitt game, but i am enjoying the “switch on” mentality this group has lacked in the past…looks like leadership is finally arriving…obviously it helps to have an elite qb…and i continue to be impressed with huzzie.

perfect time for a bye week.

haven’t finished the pitt game, but i am enjoying the “switch on” mentality this group has lacked in the past…looks like leadership is finally arriving…obviously it helps to have an elite qb…and i continue to be impressed with huzzie.

I feel like this team hasn't played a good game yet. We've played decent, but not good. Hopefully we can figure out how to get to that next level during the bye.

Reactions: bluetoe and blazers
I feel like this team hasn't played a good game yet. We've played decent, but not good. Hopefully we can figure out how to get to that next level during the bye.
But, I think UNC has played some decent teams to BE 4-0. It's not like last season playing a much weaker early schedule.

I'm not missing Phil Longo.

Reactions: gteeitup
But, I think UNC has played some decent teams to BE 4-0. It's not like last season playing a much weaker early schedule.

I'm not missing Phil Longo.
Yeah, I think this year has proven that Longo was fools gold. I am a little irritated at the 4th quarter play calling. We seem to be playing conservative instead of putting our foot on the other teams neck

Reactions: strummingram
Yeah, I think this year has proven that Longo was fools gold. I am a little irritated at the 4th quarter play calling. We seem to be playing conservative instead of putting our foot on the other teams neck
We give up 40 in a single qtr last yr, this yr we're happy to effectively take knees an entire 4th qtr.

Reactions: gteeitup
like we've never seen that before...

I was nervous until about five minutes after the game ended.

what is the "switch on" mentality you speak of? Is it the way the defense started playing defense? I'm thinking that Chizik's plan is to lull the other team to sleep and then slap them with a reality they aren't expecting, and hope that it takes them the rest of the game to recover.

I think this was another game where we got a lot of help from the opponent. Looked better in taking advantage of it though, at least in places.

We got bailed out by the review on that 'fumble' by Drake. Was it too late to call grounding at that point? I thought I had seen it called before in just such a situation.

Man it sure does feel good to be 4-0.

Gonna have to enjoy it because Cuse is safe money against us.

Honestly not sure I see another win on the schedule.

Last edited:
If they want to take the next step then they've got to go into world beater mode where the stated goal is to dominate, not just win. Can't keep letting teams hang around within a couple of scores. It's college football, crazy stuff happens. Stomp on opponent's necks and make sure the job is done early in the 3rd quarter when the opportunity presents itself.

I think the 4th quarter play calling is just down to being overly reliant on analytics. The models will all tell you that if you can effectively run the ball in the 4th quarter with a 17 point lead, then you're almost always going to win the game. So that's been the emphasis. But sometimes it's important to also make sure you have a unit that is prepared to keep throwing punches for 4 quarters or more. This team should be scoring 50 per game against this type of opposition.

If they want to take the next step then they've got to go into world beater mode where the stated goal is to dominate, not just win. Can't keep letting teams hang around within a couple of scores. It's college football, crazy stuff happens. Stomp on opponent's necks and make sure the job is done early in the 3rd quarter when the opportunity presents itself.

I think the 4th quarter play calling is just down to being overly reliant on analytics. The models will all tell you that if you can effectively run the ball in the 4th quarter with a 17 point lead, then you're almost always going to win the game. So that's been the emphasis. But sometimes it's important to also make sure you have a unit that is prepared to keep throwing punches for 4 quarters or more. This team should be scoring 50 per game against this type of opposition.
reading between the lines, I'd say from the look on Maye's face that he agrees with this.

Reactions: uncboy10

It's definitely going to haunt us when the committee is deciding if they want to put us at #4 or #5. Is an undefeated ACC champion UNC team that is beating it's opponents by an average of only 15 instead of 25 going to be good enough to get us past a five loss Alabama team?

what is the "switch on" mentality you speak of? Is it the way the defense started playing defense? I'm thinking that Chizik's plan is to lull the other team to sleep and then slap them with a reality they aren't expecting, and hope that it takes them the rest of the game to recover.

I think this was another game where we got a lot of help from the opponent. Looked better in taking advantage of it though, at least in places.

We got bailed out by the review on that 'fumble' by Drake. Was it too late to call grounding at that point? I thought I had seen it called before in just such a situation.
“switch on“ meaning it looks like they can overcome adversity…could be just my eyes though.

i like the grind out mentality…the pass pro is a work in progress.

eta: the oc, the line coach, and the head coach probably realize that having maye stand in the pocket throwing it around the park will not keep him healthy…that‘s my analysis haha.

Reactions: bluetoe and blazers
It's definitely going to haunt us when the committee is deciding if they want to put us at #4 or #5. Is an undefeated ACC champion UNC team that is beating it's opponents by an average of only 15 instead of 25 going to be good enough to get us past a five loss Alabama team?

Don’t do that to yourself, not even jokingly lol.

It’s going to haunt us when we finally stop playing garbage QB’s and somebody gets hot in the 2nd half. A 17 point lead can get erased pretty quick with a couple of big plays. Hell, let them cut it back to 17 by the end of the game for all I care, that is still a great result. I’d just like to see a little more aggressiveness in the play calling until we’ve stretched it a little further. We seem to be shutting it down midway through the third quarter with that kind of lead. Of course it we just lined up and ran it down their throats all the way into the end zone, none of us would be complaining. But I say let our superstar QB keep doing his thing until we’ve fully blown games open.

A 17 point comeback is a great second half performance. A 24 or 31 point second half comeback is a miracle.

“switch on“ meaning it looks like they can overcome adversity…could be just my eyes though.

i like the grind out mentality…the pass pro is a work in progress.

eta: the oc, the line coach, and the head coach probably realize that having maye stand in the pocket throwing it around the park will not keep him healthy…that‘s my analysis haha.

A lot of guys seem to be a lot more engaged. It does seem like there’s been a fairly significant culture shift in terms of effort and accountability. I wonder if that’s down to cutting some dead weight out of the locker room… I suspect we had some guys with severe entitlement issues last year. One of which might genuinely be my least favorite Tar Heel football player I’ve ever had to suffer through watching. Good riddance.

Don’t do that to yourself, not even jokingly lol.

It’s going to haunt us when we finally stop playing garbage QB’s and somebody gets hot in the 2nd half. A 17 point lead can get erased pretty quick with a couple of big plays. Hell, let them cut it back to 17 by the end of the game for all I care, that is still a great result. I’d just like to see a little more aggressiveness in the play calling until we’ve stretched it a little further. We seem to be shutting it down midway through the third quarter with that kind of lead. Of course it we just lined up and ran it down their throats all the way into the end zone, none of us would be complaining. But I say let our superstar QB keep doing his thing until we’ve fully blown games open.

A 17 point comeback is a great second half performance. A 24 or 31 point second half comeback is a miracle.
I was joking about us, but semi serious about Alabama being considered with 5 losses. I think the committee would try to justify almost anything to get them in. Especially when the playoffs expand to 12. I can easily imagine an 8-4 Alabama team being given the #12 seed.

Reactions: uncboy10
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT