ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina football discussion thread

I was joking about us, but semi serious about Alabama being considered with 5 losses. I think the committee would try to justify almost anything to get them in. Especially when the playoffs expand to 12. I can easily imagine an 8-4 Alabama team being given the #12 seed.

It’s going to be easier to make those justifications as there are fewer truly competitive conferences too. I have a feeling we’re going to eventually see at least 6-8 playoff teams coming from two conferences. Maybe a couple of at large outsiders but it seems like it’s basically going to end up being more like a pro league with an east/west playoff division. Except it’s just going to be the SEC vs everyone else.

Reactions: tarheel0910
We seem to be shutting it down midway through the third quarter with that kind of lead. Of course it we just lined up and ran it down their throats all the way into the end zone, none of us would be complaining. But I say let our superstar QB keep doing his thing until we’ve fully blown games open.
Or if you're just killing clock by runs up the middle for a loss, how about put in your backup OL to get them some reps also not opening holes. ?

Reactions: bluetoe
The models will all tell you that if you can effectively run the ball in the 4th quarter with a 17 point lead, then you're almost always going to win the game. So that's been the emphasis. But sometimes it's important to also make sure you have a unit that is prepared to keep throwing punches for 4 quarters or more.
Or even put in the backup RB. Caleb Hood or Green would be just fine rather than having Brooks/Hampton run into the brick walls. Those guys are fumblers. Let the young WR run some routes even if they know the ball isn't coming to them.

Or even put in the backup RB. Caleb Hood or Green would be just fine rather than having Brooks/Hampton run into the brick walls. Those guys are fumblers. Let the young WR run some routes even if they know the ball isn't coming to them.

That would be a nice benefit to blowing games open. Getting some other guys some run will pay off later in the year. Or next year

letting players sub into a game whenever it can be justified has a number of benefits beyond it just being the right thing to do. It might keep good players from hitting the portal. It gives players a chance to show that they have more game than in practice. It keeps the two deep from having as many chances for an injury.

Reactions: tarheel0910
letting players sub into a game whenever it can be justified has a number of benefits beyond it just being the right thing to do. It might keep good players from hitting the portal. It gives players a chance to show that they have more game than in practice. It keeps the two deep from having as many chances for an injury.
let’s face it, with regards to this ^^ point, if there is anyone that can keep skill players from hitting the portal based on “wait your time” it’s mack…other coaches, most hardliners, will not blink an eye about it…it’s about security and like it or not, mack is the football version of roy williams…right now he’s quite possibly the safest p5 coach without winning any championship.

let’s face it, with regards to this ^^ point, if there is anyone that can keep skill players from hitting the portal based on “wait your time” it’s mack…other coaches, most hardliners, will not blink an eye about it…it’s about security and like it or not, mack is the football version of roy williams…right now he’s quite possibly the safest p5 coach without winning any championship.
not sure I understood everything about your post but I gave it a like anyway.

“switch on“ meaning it looks like they can overcome adversity…could be just my eyes though.

i like the grind out mentality…the pass pro is a work in progress.

eta: the oc, the line coach, and the head coach probably realize that having maye stand in the pocket throwing it around the park will not keep him healthy…that‘s my analysis haha.
got it.

"eta: the oc, the line coach, and the head coach probably realize that having maye stand in the pocket throwing it around the park will not keep him healthy…that‘s my analysis haha."

funny, my thought has been him having to run out of the pocket is what's gonna jeopardize his well-being. I think were pretty much saying the same thing.

Reactions: gteeitup
Don’t do that to yourself, not even jokingly lol.

It’s going to haunt us when we finally stop playing garbage QB’s and somebody gets hot in the 2nd half. A 17 point lead can get erased pretty quick with a couple of big plays. Hell, let them cut it back to 17 by the end of the game for all I care, that is still a great result. I’d just like to see a little more aggressiveness in the play calling until we’ve stretched it a little further. We seem to be shutting it down midway through the third quarter with that kind of lead. Of course it we just lined up and ran it down their throats all the way into the end zone, none of us would be complaining. But I say let our superstar QB keep doing his thing until we’ve fully blown games open.

A 17 point comeback is a great second half performance. A 24 or 31 point second half comeback is a miracle.
ever notice that Mack seems to be really well-liked by other coaches?

ever notice that Mack seems to be really well-liked by other coaches?
I think that Mack could have been president if he went into politics instead of coaching. The guy has a way of just making you believe anything and makes you want to be around him.

I think that Mack could have been president if he went into politics instead of coaching. The guy has a way of just making you believe anything and makes you want to be around him.
maybe that's because he doesn't run the score up on you.

And he isn't the only one who can make you believe anything. Somebody's been making me believe we'll be a football powerhouse one day, and they've been making me believe it for a really long time.

Videos on tik tok of colo players talking trash to Oregon players, coaches and fans led by deions other son (the cb not the qb) are a must watch. I despise that kind of gamesmanship and watching them getting their asses drug becomes even more satisfying knowing they acted like that beforehand.

Reactions: blazers and bluetoe
Videos on tik tok of colo players talking trash to Oregon players, coaches and fans led by deions other son (the cb not the qb) are a must watch. I despise that kind of gamesmanship and watching them getting their asses drug becomes even more satisfying knowing they acted like that beforehand.

I haven't seen the videos but I have seen some of the Colorado players and I can easily believe what you're saying.

I like Coach Prime. I like his schtick. But it only works for Prime. He has to somehow create that same confidence in his players but the players need to leave that brash arrogance at home. Again, it works for Deion because he's the best to ever do it. His players do not have that credibility just by association. It will be tough for Prime because of his personality and because of his accomplishments. And frankly, he's green to the coaching profession. I hope he finds a way to balance everything.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
I don't really dislike Sanders, but I have to admit, the sports media's ultrafocus on Deion just because of his loud, shiny presence has me resenting it a bit. Seeing him get taken down a couple of pegs wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen happen.

And the Oregon game was a peg-taker-downer if there ever was one. You rarely see spankings that complete between ranked teams. That it was accomplished over a background of trash-talking by the opponent only makes it more gratifying.

And a coach can control that for the most part if he wants to, mostly by the example he sets.

video is outstanding…the ducks coach gets it, that was powerful.

and while we’re on shilo sanders and the pregame talk, after he threatened to bust them up, he’s now in the hospital with the injury.

This makes me wonder if keeping Mack around for awhile would be what's best for the program long term, even if he's not breaking through and winning championships. Let him build the relationships, and keep the donors writing checks, it will only make Carolina a more desirable location for an elite up and coming coach when that day comes. Especially if he can recruit at a high level.

This makes me wonder if keeping Mack around for awhile would be what's best for the program long term, even if he's not breaking through and winning championships. Let him build the relationships, and keep the donors writing checks, it will only make Carolina a more desirable location for an elite up and coming coach when that day comes. Especially if he can recruit at a high level.
just so it doesn’t turn into a bobby bowden thing…when he started making weird statements about women and such, the worm had turned.

do you see a current staff member as hc material?

Reactions: blazers
just so it doesn’t turn into a bobby bowden thing…when he started making weird statements about women and such, the worm had turned.

do you see a current staff member as hc material?

No chance. I think we need to be trying to identify the next crazy breakthrough young coordinator/analyst type and pay them enough to stick around. Someone that has designed a great system on one side of the ball that can go out and hire an elite coordinator to run the other side. Obviously we could go after a proven entity as a HC, but it's going to take some serious cheddar to lure someone like that away from the SEC or a blue blood. But that is a gamble so I understand people wanting a proven HC.

Either way, it doesn't matter if the HC doesn't get a massive war chest for coordinators, position coaches, analysts, etc.

No chance. I think we need to be trying to identify the next crazy breakthrough young coordinator/analyst type and pay them enough to stick around. Someone that has designed a great system on one side of the ball that can go out and hire an elite coordinator to run the other side. Obviously we could go after a proven entity as a HC, but it's going to take some serious cheddar to lure someone like that away from the SEC or a blue blood. But that is a gamble so I understand people wanting a proven HC.

Either way, it doesn't matter if the HC doesn't get a massive war chest for coordinators, position coaches, analysts, etc.
i’m a fan of whittingham in utah, but he’s 63…i really like warren on the current staff, but not sure he’ll even get a look…if carolina could get an oregon vibe with the next coach, it could be a massive windfall.

👎🏻

i’m a fan of whittingham in utah, but he’s 63…i really like warren on the current staff, but not sure he’ll even get a look…if carolina could get an oregon vibe with the next coach, it could be a massive windfall.

👎🏻

I don't know if either of them will go on to be great coaches, but TJ Yates is currently coaching WR's for the Falcons, and Bryn Renner is coaching QB's at FIU. Those are guys I'd be watching to see if they take the next step. Maybe one of them could eventually have what it takes to build a great offense and run a program. I wouldn't mind seeing them in Chapel Hill in some capacity though.

I don't know if either of them will go on to be great coaches, but TJ Yates is currently coaching WR's for the Falcons, and Bryn Renner is coaching QB's at FIU. Those are guys I'd be watching to see if they take the next step. Maybe one of them could eventually have what it takes to build a great offense and run a program. I wouldn't mind seeing them in Chapel Hill in some capacity though.
Was renner the guy who did the lawn mower thing? That was hilarious

I haven't seen the videos but I have seen some of the Colorado players and I can easily believe what you're saying.

I like Coach Prime. I like his schtick. But it only works for Prime. He has to somehow create that same confidence in his players but the players need to leave that brash arrogance at home. Again, it works for Deion because he's the best to ever do it. His players do not have that credibility just by association. It will be tough for Prime because of his personality and because of his accomplishments. And frankly, he's green to the coaching profession. I hope he finds a way to balance everything.
I will say sanders had the talent to back up his talk. He’s prob the greatest athlete in my lifetime after Bo Jackson. I think he once hit a home run in the World Series and then scored a nfl td the same week or something like that? Of course he did it by helicopter arrival at the ball park with all the press present. Lol. Prime time for sure. The baseball announcer wasn’t crazy about it and Deion tortured him by dumping buckets of water on him post game.

Last edited:
Recruiting has fallen off a cliff. Maybe that is more NIL than ho-hum record despite SamDrake.

Recruiting has fallen off a cliff. Maybe that is more NIL than ho-hum record despite SamDrake.
we're gonna miss SamDrake when the last half of him is gone. Who's back will we put the team on next? I'm already starting to get depressed.

Little known UNC football facts: TJ Yates is the only former UNC quarterback to win a postseason NFL game.

Little known UNC football facts: TJ Yates is the only former UNC quarterback to win a postseason NFL game.
he's probably also the only UNC QB to inexplicably run out the clock with a short sideline pass on the last play of a game where the only desperate hope for a win (or tie) was to throw a prayer deep downfield. Prior to that and with us in the lead, he ignored an uncovered, wide open receiver (Johnny White, I think) streaking up the sideline, a connection that very well might have secured a victory....to instead go deep downfield into coverage and an FSU interception, which FSU took advantage of to take the lead (which they did not relinquish).

I'm not sure what I might want him to coach, but it isn't game management or even common sense. Sorry TJ, I love you and all but I will never ever forget the sting of that game that we should have won. It's the one Lawrence Taylor came home to see.

bad timing, IYAM. Anyone else think this looks like them being sore losers for losing to FSU?

I think it’s related but not in that way. Clemson sees their dynasty starting to fall apart and knows the path to its survival is being in the SEC. They want that to happen yesterday. I’m pulling for them because we need the first domino to fall so we can get on with our future plans.

I think it’s related but not in that way. Clemson sees their dynasty starting to fall apart and knows the path to its survival is being in the SEC. They want that to happen yesterday. I’m pulling for them because we need the first domino to fall so we can get on with our future plans.
I think you understand I was being facetious, but just to be sure...I was being facetious.

I have mixed feelings about the ACC breaking up. I just don't care for the conditions that are leading us that way, and I have so much tied up emotionally with ACC history and our place in it that I'm probably going to dwell more in the past than in the future, at least for the time being.

I'm really just confused about the direction of college sports at this time. I can't see it not becoming a semi-pro kind of thing for the major sports. If that's the case, let it be. All the jockeying around in the meantime makes me go numb.

ETA; I forgot to say I agree with you as to Clemson's motivation.

bad timing, IYAM. Anyone else think this looks like them being sore losers for losing to FSU?
Makes me wonder if FSU has found a way out since they hired attorneys a while ago. If so, I would imagine UNC would hop in at some point. Maybe Miami and UVA as well. It's going to depend on how many teams the Big and SEC wants to expand to. If they want to go to 24, then all hell with break loose. If it's "only" 20, then the ACC sticks around for now, just without it's top draws.

scarolina is doing everything they can to prevent clemson from joining the sec and rightfully so…i also don’t believe the sec wants clemson like they want or have desired others.

keeping him around as a kind of figurehead and overseer would be outstanding. But at this time, I imagine questions about his being around much longer are hurting us. I wish some solid indication of the future was in place.

keeping him around as a kind of figurehead and overseer would be outstanding. But at this time, I imagine questions about his being around much longer are hurting us. I wish some solid indication of the future was in place.

We should be doing everything in our power to keep Mack around in any capacity after he steps down as HC. Especially if the program decides to take a chance on a younger, less experienced coach. Having an advisor like Mack certainly would mitigate some of the risk.

Reactions: bluetoe and blazers
I'm all for keeping Mack as long as he isn't the reason our 5 star DL is playing like 3*, and as long as OL recruiting and dev ticks up.

Outside DL looks a little better than last yr. Interior not so much. OL still is very mediocre. Mack needs to improve the trenches as much as he's improving fan relations.

scarolina is doing everything they can to prevent clemson from joining the sec and rightfully so…i also don’t believe the sec wants clemson like they want or have desired others.
I think they would try to get them so the Big doesn't grab them. SEC isn't going to want the Big to have a brand name in their territory. And since lil carolina is worthless, I doubt they have much power to stop it. The Big might end up with a decent amount of more money if they can somehow grab UNC, UVA, Clemson and Miami/FSU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT