ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina football discussion thread

i realize that a tempo team like carolina wouldn’t excite a guy like Iowa’s staff, but they get it on defense.

we’re too fast, but maybe fast enough in this this league…i hate the acc.

Reactions: Heelicious
Right now - I’m saying

1 Michigan
2 Washington
3 Texas
4 Alabama

FSU is really struggling with an inept Louisville team. They’d get a collossal beat down IMO from any of the top 3 listed here. By Ohio state Oregon and Alabama too.

FSU would be legit with their 1st string qb maybe - but with their 3rd string qb they are mid at best

Right now - I’m saying

1 Michigan
2 Washington
3 Texas
4 Alabama

FSU is really struggling with an inept Louisville team. They’d get a collossal beat down IMO from any of the top 3 listed here. By Ohio state Oregon and Alabama too.

FSU would be legit with their 1st string qb maybe - but with their 3rd string qb they are mid at best
When would their second string guy be healthy? The playoffs are a long time from now. Something the committee might keep in mind.

When would their second string guy be healthy? The playoffs are a long time from now. Something the committee might keep in mind.
I think first string guy is out for the year. Second string guy had a concussion so maybe can come back soon they were saying

Last edited:
Reactions: tarheel0910
Right now - I’m saying

1 Michigan
2 Washington
3 Texas
4 Alabama

Heres the paradox, how can you knock Georgia out because they lost to Bama but put Bama in and they lost to Texas?

The right thing to do would be
Michigan
Washington
FSU
Texas

But they won't do that and everyone knows it!

Heres the paradox, how can you knock Georgia out because they lost to Bama but put Bama in and they lost to Texas?

Michigan
Washington
FSU
Texas

The way it all played out, the 4 you listed should be in the CFP. Bama lost to Texas, UGA lost to Alabama. Thems the breaks. I'm sick of UGA and Alabama.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
What I would like for the best fb and if I were concerned for the best ratings
Mich
tx
Uga
Bammer

What would be the fairest in the spirit of the cfp (but would produce “mehhh” games)
Mich
Tx
Fsu
Wash

What will prob happen
Mich
Wash
Bama
Tx

Last edited:
Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
all I know is I'll admit when I'm wrong. When they were settling on the playoff format and some were calling for a larger number of teams, I scoffed and said four should be enough, because that would be enough to include a clearly or somewhat weaker team that bottomed out the four....which would assure that the best team is among the four. Now I see there needs to be more because it just isn't possible to identify the clearly better teams with just four, at least not always.

On the other hand, by expanding, it becomes more of a tournament than a playoff. Then, the 'on-any-given-day' rule applies. The best team in the country can have an off game and more teams increases those chances.

It should be the following four:

Michigan
Washington
FSU
Texas

SEC wasn’t good this year and Georgia had an easy schedule. If any SEC team gets in, it should clearly be Bama.

Right now - I’m saying

1 Michigan
2 Washington
3 Texas
4 Alabama

Lookie at what I predicted last night. Each team exactly in their slot. I wasn’t on the committee but I think they picked the right teams.

Next year nobody will be able to complain and be taken seriously. The team that got screwed this year more than fsu is Georgia. Like someone else said - Georgia - injured and all, would blow fsus doors off. FSU might get shut out vs this Georgia team.

Michigan
Washington
FSU
Texas

💯 great point. But I think - like with the men’s basketball tournament, WHEN wins and losses matter, who is best team right now matter, injured players now - matter. But for sure uga still deserves a spot. Just no way they could put uga in over Bama when Bama win head to head yesterday and both with one loss -and bamas one loss like 3 months ago- against a top 3 team, too.

It should be the following four:

Michigan
Washington
FSU
Texas

SEC wasn’t good this year and Georgia had an easy schedule. If any SEC team gets in, it should clearly be Bama.
The sec was sort of down without a big 3 or 4 in top 10 like last year but I think they still had 5 of top 15 ranked teams, don’t they?

all I know is I'll admit when I'm wrong. When they were settling on the playoff format and some were calling for a larger number of teams, I scoffed and said four should be enough, because that would be enough to include a clearly or somewhat weaker team that bottomed out the four....which would assure that the best team is among the four. Now I see there needs to be more because it just isn't possible to identify the clearly better teams with just four, at least not always.

On the other hand, by expanding, it becomes more of a tournament than a playoff. Then, the 'on-any-given-day' rule applies. The best team in the country can have an off game and more teams increases those chances.
Great post. I personally think overall, 8 is the ideal number but they went to 12 because it’s always about the Benjamins. But if you can’t make the top 8 you shouldn’t be considered a legit threat for the title. I sure think Osu and Georgia could contend for a title, and maybe even fsu and Oregon?

Reactions: bluetoe
Great post. I personally think overall, 8 is the ideal number but they went to 12 because it’s always about the Benjamins. But if you can’t make the top 8 you shouldn’t be considered a legit threat for the title. I sure think Osu and Georgia could contend for a title, and maybe even fsu and Oregon?
thanks. The bolded is exactly what I was trying to say that I thought about four teams.

Oregon should definitely get a shot IMO because they got screwed out of a win over Wash in their first meeting, and they came close in the second. Their first game was like two heavyweights slugging it out. If tOSU and Mich. played three games, neither would win all three, IMO. Same with Alabama and Ga.

I made the mistake of thinking four was enough so now I should know better, but I agree with you that eight is a better number. Eight is enough.

The FSU offense from last night would be shutout vs Mich, Bama, UGA, OSU.
How'd the FSU second stringer look?

It's just not right to keep a major P5 team -undefeated team- out of the CFP. Especially FSU and the ACC.
I agree that FSU should have been in, I'm just saying that's the excuse the committee uses. Being in the ACC is what hurts them. If the same exact situation happens in the Big or SEC, then that team makes it.

Reactions: strummingram
I agree that FSU should have been in, I'm just saying that's the excuse the committee uses. Being in the ACC is what hurts them. If the same exact situation happens in the Big or SEC, then that team makes it.

If they put FSU in they would have had to put Texas in and no Bama or Georgia and that would have been catastrophic to their TV markets and would have effected pocketbooks and we can't have that.

As I said before the proper 4 should have been...
Michigan
Washington
Texas
FSU

If Georgia would have won FSU would have made it. There has never been a playoff without an SEC team in and this was going to the the first year.

If they put FSU in they would have had to put Texas in and no Bama or Georgia and that would have been catastrophic to their TV markets and would have effected pocketbooks and we can't have that.

As I said before the proper 4 should have been...
Michigan
Washington
Texas
FSU

If Georgia would have won FSU would have made it. There has never been a playoff without an SEC team in and this was going to the the first year.
FSU viewership is at SEC levels. That wouldn't have been an issue.

So i guess if Washington lost Michael Pennix Jr for the year, and barely won their last game vs a Louisville instead of an Oregon, they'd be bumped down lower to 5th and out of the CFP too?

But what about Texas or Mich in that same situation of losing their starting QB?

So i guess if Washington lost Michael Pennix Jr for the year, and barely won their last game vs a Louisville instead of an Oregon, they'd be bumped down lower to 5th and out of the CFP too?

But what about Texas or Mich in that same situation of losing their starting QB?
truth be known, Wash wouldn't be the same team without Penix, so if the point is to match up the four best teams at the time of the playoff, it would serve to consider other teams first. But that isn't the only consideration in these things, subjectivity comes into play more than it would if that was so.

If there was a snub, the snub is really against our conference, IMO. FSU beat the opposing divisional champion and finished with a perfect record but that wasn't like Wash beating Oregon. Without its star QB, FSU is a weaker team...and it's in a weaker conference, is what this says.

If Alabama was playing with a backup QB and barely beat Ga., they would still get in. IMO. I can't say it's wrong.

If the object was to reward an entire season, it would be safe to say FSU and the ACC really got snubbed. But this is entertainment presented for viewership (money). Pissing off the least amount of viewership is a strong factor. Retaining as much credibility as possible is another strong factor That being the case, this is understandable.

What it boils down to, is this...

Yes and yes. They evidently tried to put the best four teams in. Losing your starting qb and the timing of that factors into that. All four playoff teams would be double digit favorites over fsu. It seems people want automatic bids for p5 teams going undefeated. I don’t like that. I want the best teams and the best match ups. I think that’s what we have.

they're not worried about viewership of the fan base, they need eyeballs from the rest of the fan world .. and Bama will get WAY more of those than FSU ever would. it all boils down to $$ and that was an easy decision.
Maybe, but I know plenty of people (including me) who just don't watch the playoffs anymore because it's always the same teams. A backup QB able to lead a team to an undefeated ACC championship is a pretty compelling storyline. It would have brought in good numbers.

Reactions: strummingram
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT