ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina football discussion thread

Well we wanted a cfp and we got it. What we, or at least I, didn’t anticipate is that it’s rendered the other bowl games even more irrelevant than they already were. Players opting out of meaningless games played on weird days. Oh for the good old days of sitting down on New Year’s Day to a steady stream of marquee matchups on different channels in front of big crowds with big names. Team and Player success was measured by how they did n bowl games. We didn’t realize how good we had it. Plus we could argue all year over who was the legit national champ.

Well we wanted a cfp and we got it. What we, or at least I, didn’t anticipate is that it’s rendered the other bowl games even more irrelevant than they already were. Players opting out of meaningless games played on weird days. Oh for the good old days of sitting down on New Year’s Day to a steady stream of marquee matchups on different channels in front of big crowds with big names. Team and Player success was measured by how they did n bowl games. We didn’t realize how good we had it. Plus we could argue all year over who was the legit national champ.
I don't think opt outs were caused by the CFP. It's just a natural evolution. If anything caused it, it was the mass expansion of bowl games.

I don't think opt outs were caused by the CFP. It's just a natural evolution. If anything caused it, it was the mass expansion of bowl games.
Yea that’s certainly part of it. But prior to cfp there wouldn’t be any players opting out of a new years bowl (or used to be new years) between two top ten teams. Those “second tier” bowls especially have become totally meaningless. I know technically they were meaningless before but there was just lots more value attached to them it seemed.

Yea that’s certainly part of it. But prior to cfp there wouldn’t be any players opting out of a new years bowl (or used to be new years) between two top ten teams. Those “second tier” bowls especially have become totally meaningless. I know technically they were meaningless before but there was just lots more value attached to them it seemed.
No one ever "opted out" of ANY bowl game back then.

I think it's more an outgrowth of the increasing attitude that it's about the players individually, more so than it being about the schools and teams. It's exactly what you might expect when NIL came into play. That in particular signaled that the schools were losing their grip and the players were gaining the same.

I think all things considered, the college football we've come to look forward to at this time of year is a thing of the past. Pro too, for some of the same reasons.

I was watching some youtube of football from the last several decades and it's almost shocking to see the relatively violent play that no ref even blinked at...and I remembered that that was why I loved the sport.

Kinder, gentler...and much less exciting.

Remember the two polls? Ap and the coaches. Sometimes they had different champs.
I do remember, very well. Do you remember the year (1966?) that #1 ND and #2 Michigan State were studded with monster football players like Bubba Smith and played late in the season to a 10-10 tie? They were split in the polls after the season.

Many people would be disgusted by that but I think it's perfect.

I see the CFP as decent entertainment, but if the goal is to establish who the best football team is, the poll system worked as well as anything and better than a playoff.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
I do remember, very well. Do you remember the year (1966?) that #1 ND and #2 Michigan State were studded with monster football players like Bubba Smith and played late in the season to a 10-10 tie? They were split in the polls after the season.

Many people would be disgusted by that but I think it's perfect.

I see the CFP as decent entertainment, but if the goal is to establish who the best football team is, the poll system worked as well as anything and better than a playoff.
I remember I think bama and USC splitting a title as well. My bama cousins were in an uproar.

Reactions: bluetoe
Bama and tx and okla all ran the triple option to perfection back then. They avg about 500yds rushing /gm. Unstoppable. 80 players on their rosters all high school all Americans. When they did pass it was usually for a huge play cause the def was gassed. The qb would be 5-7 with 200yds

Also back then the hash marks were crazy wider than now. So bear Bryant would intentionally run wide on first down to one side or the other to get the ball placed on a hash mark. Then for second down there was this huge expanse of field to the other side. So naturally theyRan the option to that side and often the qb would go 10-15 yds and still pitch. The other teams defenders were slow especially the lb’s and those speedsters would run the corner and be gone.

Reactions: bluetoe
we ran some option when Scott Stankavage was our QB. I was amazed at how perfectly he could run it, both on the decision part and on the execution part.

I'm sure Liberty will eventually run out of gas and fall behind but Chadwell had them ready to show up and compete with a way more talented team.

nf-iRj.gif

ETA: well… they looked good for a few minutes there at least lol

Last edited:
Over 20 FSU players either opted out or transferred. That's a ridiculous amount of players.
Regardless, FSU was gonna get crushed without Travis. Beat Louisville 16-6 pre opt-outs, but Louisville got whooped 42-28 by defenseless USC...

No one ever "opted out" of ANY bowl game back then.

We live in a monkey see monkey do world now days, someone decides to do it and then it turns into the "cool" thing to do.

Kids playing college football now days are over valued by themselves, and their parents. There are kids sitting out that have nothing to gain by sitting out. Walker sitting out after Carolina used big time resources to get him eligible that's a slap in the face. He talked about how sad he was he couldn't play the first game of the year because it was played in front of a hometown crowd to not play in a bowl game in the same stadium.

There is no pride in their teams/schools anymore.

Reactions: gunslingerdick
actually, i'm okay with this hire as opposed to someone "young and upcoming". His HC record is awful, and he hasn't been a DC in awhile, but his D's were good when he was a DC. I think he's a pretty decent recruiter. And he's been at some big SEC programs so you'd think he could help identify fundamental problems that result in our softness.

nominated three times for the Broyles award, which I had to research to see what that was. And I found out.

Maybe he’s bad, Bad would be an improvement
I think I've said this before, but if UNC football holds true to form, then the defense will improve to rank somewhere between 40-50. But the offense will fall off, so we still win 7-8 games. Then everyone beats their head on the table knowing that if the defense could have been that "good" the last few years, we would have won 10-11 games.

I think I've said this before, but if UNC football holds true to form, then the defense will improve to rank somewhere between 40-50. But the offense will fall off, so we still win 7-8 games. Then everyone beats their head on the table knowing that if the defense could have been that "good" the last few years, we would have won 10-11 games.
well here's the other thing...if the defense had been that good, the offense would have fallen off...so we still would have won 7-8 games.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
And longo will have some obscure schools offense in the top 10

Chizik was a household name and he sucked. So maybe we're working on an opposite plan here. No-name hire that does great. Hope springs eternal!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT