ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina football discussion thread

they're not worried about viewership of the fan base, they need eyeballs from the rest of the fan world .. and Bama will get WAY more of those than FSU ever would. it all boils down to $$ and that was an easy decision.
@bleeduncblue right on. Exactly right. You and I see thing so much the same way. I think you could make a strong case that Georgia got screwed harder than FSU. Someone astutely said: who’d be willing to bet their house or a year salary on FSU straight up pickem over any of the four in CFP OR UGA OR tOSU OR Oregon ? Nobody would.

You’re right about Bama too. They don’t have any big name stars even on level of last year. But they have Saban and they are a long term dynasty. 18 (or 19?) titles. Probably more than the total of ALL teams in any single conference recently.

So the non- casual “fan” either hates or loves Tide / Saban but aren’t neutral. So that draws viewers.

I think Saban / Bama draws parallels to Belichek / Pats , k / Duke, and even DES / Heels. Lots of people love them for being great dynasties with arguably greatest coach in the sport of all time.

Also - easy for the (wannabe) rivals to HATE the success and how while great at coaching, these guys can all be controlling intimidating bullying the system to their advantage and to the detriment of their opponents who are already at a huge disadvantage. And can be pretty arrogant aholes to the media etc if anyone tries to question anything about them, their program, or their undue influence and control.

Last edited:
Reactions: bleeduncblue
Maybe, but I know plenty of people (including me) who just don't watch the playoffs anymore because it's always the same teams. A backup QB able to lead a team to an undefeated ACC championship is a pretty compelling storyline. It would have brought in good numbers.
that's hilarious. a BACK UP QB is a reason for me to NOT watch. i saw plenty in that 16 point barn burner the other night vs LV. FSU would get DEMOLISHED by any of the top 6 teams.

Reactions: Heelicious
that's hilarious. a BACK UP QB is a reason for me to NOT watch. i saw plenty in that 16 point barn burner the other night vs LV. FSU would get DEMOLISHED by any of the top 6 teams.
Good for you. It's already happened multiple times in the CFP era and ratings didn't suffer. You were the outlier. Also, the QB that started for the UL game isn't the one that would be starting.

Good for you. It's already happened multiple times in the CFP era and ratings didn't suffer. You were the outlier. Also, the QB that started for the UL game isn't the one that would be starting.
so you'll sit there with a straight face and tell me that Michigan vs FSU would get better TV ratings than Michigan vs Alabama??

Reactions: Heelicious
so you'll sit there with a straight face and tell me that Michigan vs FSU would get better TV ratings than Michigan vs Alabama??
I think it's possible, because a lot of people I know don't watch it anymore since the same teams keep playing. That's obviously anecdotal evidence. We'll never get a chance to find out if it would have made a difference, though.

Reactions: strummingram
I think it's possible, because a lot of people I know don't watch it anymore since the same teams keep playing. That's obviously anecdotal evidence. We'll never get a chance to find out if it would have made a difference, though.
I can hardly wait to see Alabama play for the 756th time!

• Haha
Reactions: tarheel0910
Good news, UNC hasn't lost many "studs" to the portal so far. Contrast with UVA last yr (starting DB Fentrell Cyprus to FSU, starting LB Nick Jackson to Iowa, their QB to ncsu, etc) or Duke (this yr Starting DT, Starting DE, Starting QB) or GT (Jamyrr Gibbs, some starting DL to SEC schools, etc). Of course Wake couldn't keep Sam Hartman.

All these ACC teams (FSU aside, Clemson aside, maybe Miami aside are hemorrhaging talent). We're losing 3rd stringers. Eugene Asante (auburn starter) has probably been our biggest loss, and he was 2nd string behind Ced Gray.

UNC is an easy place to recruit. Great campus, great academics, all the hoops accolades and people.

Bad news, despite doing well in portal retention, we still can't get beyond ~8 wins.

Reactions: bluetoe
I recorded the game...got home about 10:30.

After the first play, I almost deleted it. I should have! SSDD. Even the poor fan turnout in Charlotte tells you how much enthusiasm there is for the program.

The game was a summation of the season. I think Brown won the first bowl game, when they were 6-6, the military bowl.

This season was worse than last year. It will get worse next year. Mack Brown is done. There's nothing about that program that is remotely promising.

Mack, just retire and let Bubba find some other lame-ass coach drive it into the ditch.

I personally wanted to hire Kiffin instead of Mack, but Kiffin didn't fit the Carolina culture. That means he was never considered.

I don't know for sure, just like you don't know that either. I have UNC football history to help my argument, though.
but you can't allow a dreary track record to predict future achievement. We weren't hitting on much when Butch was hired, and he quickly demonstrated that football can leave a mark at UNC. No, not that mark, the other, successful one. Right coach and the right attitude from the PTB (which we had for that brief period) is what it takes.

but you can't allow a dreary track record to predict future achievement. We weren't hitting on much when Butch was hired, and he quickly demonstrated that football can leave a mark at UNC. No, not that mark, the other, successful one. Right coach and the right attitude from the PTB (which we had for that brief period) is what it takes.
You're right, past events don't always predict future events. But when you are betting, you rely on past events. Should that stop us from looking for another coach? No, but history suggests that it will just be more of the same.

Since we beat WFU on November 12, 2022, we are 8-9 as of today. That includes two losses to GT,
two losses to Nsuck, and a loss to UVA. It’s clear that our program is heading in the
wrong direction. Mack needs to retire and sit with Sally, Roy, and Wanda at Carolina ⛹🏾‍♂️ games.

I was as happy as anyone when Mack returned. I honestly thought we’d be better. I wasn’t thinking cfp but I felt 10 win seasons were a real possibility and I would have been happy with that. It ain’t working. Thanks Mack for giving us hope and coming back but it’s time to struggle under someone else.

You're right, past events don't always predict future events. But when you are betting, you rely on past events. Should that stop us from looking for another coach? No, but history suggests that it will just be more of the same.
what history suggests is immaterial to me. I wouldn't bet considering a track record unless the track has changed. That's why I was miffed that we were hiring Mack back, although I have to admit that I changed my tune when he started scoring recruits. I was also against Butch because I never thought he would stick around. Changed my tune on that one as well.

A new coach is a new track, but the constant stick in the mud are the PTB. That's why I aim my divining rod at omens like the crap turnout for our bowl game, and realize that the PTB must find this intolerable and downright embarrassing. When I bet, it's because I think I have some insight or an inside track. Or I'm just bored.

I was as happy as anyone when Mack returned. I honestly thought we’d be better. I wasn’t thinking cfp but I felt 10 win seasons were a real possibility and I would have been happy with that. It ain’t working. Thanks Mack for giving us hope and coming back but it’s time to struggle under someone else.
it's the fact that he gave me hope that makes the letdown that much worse. Where is John Bunting now that we really need him? No way he could let us down like that.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
The first person that needs to be fired immediately is Brian Hess. Obviously we don’t have access to the exact programming that the team is working through but just reading some interviews with him paints a clear picture.

Way too many isometrics and cutesy bullshit, not enough of the good old fashioned big three. Modern strength training has a lot to offer, but it still requires a great foundation that needs to come from lifting heavy. Heavy compounds don’t just hit the primary muscle group, they force the back and core to engage to stabilize and control the weight through the movement pattern. This current program hasn’t been particularly effective at mitigating injuries, and it’s left the team extremely weak in the trenches.

Go back and watch almost any game from this season and then try and tell me our linemen don’t need more time in the squat rack.

Reactions: tarheel0910
The first person that needs to be fired immediately is Brian Hess. Obviously we don’t have access to the exact programming that the team is working through but just reading some interviews with him paints a clear picture.

Way too many isometrics and cutesy bullshit, not enough of the good old fashioned big three. Modern strength training has a lot to offer, but it still requires a great foundation that needs to come from lifting heavy. Heavy compounds don’t just hit the primary muscle group, they force the back and core to engage to stabilize and control the weight through the movement pattern. This current program hasn’t been particularly effective at mitigating injuries, and it’s left the team extremely weak in the trenches.

Go back and watch almost any game from this season and then try and tell me our linemen don’t need more time in the squat rack.
The D started the year looking pretty good. Maybe the comp (Minn, SCar, Pitt, Miami, etc weren't world-beaters, but they aren't fcs). Then obviously fell off a cliff 6th or 7th game in.

Them the D actually played with some physicality and giddy-up at times this week again, so I wonder if it is simply because they had some time to rest their legs during the break.

If so, that is even more of an obvious sign that Hess' approach isn't sustainable across the yr.

If we luck our way into the SEC, would purses open to be able to afford a big-name coach and staff?

The D started the year looking pretty good. Maybe the comp (Minn, SCar, Pitt, Miami, etc weren't world-beaters, but they aren't fcs). Then obviously fell off a cliff 6th or 7th game in.

Them the D actually played with some physicality and giddy-up at times this week again, so I wonder if it is simply because they had some time to rest their legs during the break.

If so, that is even more of an obvious sign that Hess' approach isn't sustainable across the yr.
the only thing I can observe that stands out to me over and above what blazer points out is that I see many more opposing players getting hurt and needing attention on the field, and fewer of ours doing so. It's anecdotal of course and I'm not tracking numbers or following through on severity of injuries, but that is something that has made an impression on me. Of course, my impression could be completely off base. First time for everything, they say.

not putting much stock in bowl games, especially these.
Well, an 11-2 SMU team just lost to a recent 6-6 ACC bottom-feeder. Not a lot of shine on that one. It's a moot point cu the guy was never coming to UNC, but... I'm not sure it would help.

UNC needs a new deck and new dealer.

Well, an 11-2 SMU team just lost to a recent 6-6 ACC bottom-feeder. Not a lot of shine on that one. It's a moot point cu the guy was never coming to UNC, but... I'm not sure it would help.

UNC needs a new deck and new dealer.
Welcome to the ACC! I guess in ten yrs they'll get their full share of the money? CFB is so strange.

Well, almost a shutout.
Whooo-wheee! That was horrible. We had an outdoor firepit/bbq... I get there late an it's 35-3 in the 2nd quarter!

giphy.gif

Over 20 FSU players either opted out or transferred. That's a ridiculous amount of players.
after seeing the list I was expecting a bloodbath, but it was really just a slaughter. I stopped watching early and I'm glad I did. I wonder when (or if) Kirby pulled his starters or just emptied the bench. Looks like the third quarter maybe, looking at the box score.

I think they said it was the biggest margin ever for a bowl game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT