ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Celebrity Death Pool

I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Are high value terrorist considered celebrities? Man lots of different strategies for my war room this weekend

Are high value terrorist considered celebrities? Man lots of different strategies for my war room this weekend

Yes, if they're what we would call "household names". If you pick someone we have to look up, only to find out they're like 5th in command of Al-Qaeda or something that's a no go. Also, people on death row are out - it'd defeat the point out of the contest if you just happened to know someone was getting executed next week.

A lot of it is what is "in the spirit of the contest". The goal is to have everyone pick people that would make most national news outlets when they die, and it's a death that some people may have expected was upcoming, but not one that they pretty much knew was happening within a couple weeks (I.e. Entered hospice last week and was given another week or so to live, someone with an execution date, someone who has just given up chemo, etc.)

Basically, everyone's picks have to stand a reasonable chance of still being alive in a couple months.

Last edited:
Reactions: UNC71-00
Oh yeah, I suppose I'm in if this thing hasn't already drafted or whatever.

I was gonna take her early as well. Looks like we're at 13 now, with gteeitup and Cory. Might wanna consider moving to 7 picks each (91 picks).

Definitely.

we also ought to put a time limit on picks and if you miss a pick, then next man up and you drop a spot and keep dropping until you make your pick.

Are we making picks yet? And I'm fine with $10 or $20, doesn't matter to me.

Team name: The Dirt Naps

Last edited:
Reactions: Raising Heel
I'll go ahead and warn you, I'm in Haiti until Thursday night with very limited internet service until late evening. I don't wanna hold up the draft so let me know if it's a problem, I can bow out now if necessary.

I'm in no hurry. We can wait if no one else has an issue with it.

What's up @Hark_The_Sound_2010 ? When does the draft commence?

I guess it's up to majority here. I'm fine with doing it today (and probably through tomorrow figuring the delay between picks we'll have). I know bleed mentioned he may have internet issues until Thursday. I'm fine drafting today, I'm fine waiting another couple days, or I'm fine (if everyone else is) on having bleed email me his big board, and making selections in order off that when it'd be his turn in the draft. Up to everyone else.

My preference would be to do it today (after Nancy Reagan died I don't want all the rest of my picks to become ineligible), but it's whatever works for everyone else. What say ye, OOTB faithful?

Can we wait? I haven't started prepping yet because I didn't know when the draft was going to be. I'm also down for reducing the number of picks. Now that there's 13 (?) people doing it, maybe we should just pick 5 celebs?

Reactions: gunslingerdick
Can we wait? I haven't started prepping yet because I didn't know when the draft was going to be.

48571686.jpg

I think 5 picks is good too. Anymore than that and we'll be drafting until next month. I am going to the beach with a couple buddies on Wednesday afternoon for some ACCT festivities, golf, fishing, etc. So I won't have time for this absurd crap. I only waste company time on this kind of stuff.

So I vote we get it on today and tomorrow or we wait until next Monday. If y'all do it later this week, I'll have to sit the first round out.

Sincerely,
Mr. Lingerdick

Reactions: tarheel0910
Looks like I can't appease the masses. Some want to wait, others want to get it on right now. I agree that 5 picks is probably the best for both times sake of drafting, and that way we'll have somewhere between 50-70 celebs (depending on if we can still have all 14 entries, or if a few have to sit out the first round. At that point I think we'd allow up to 2 keepers going forward for subsequent rounds. Maybe have it be 3 single pick rounds - and then the 4th round is a double pick per pick. That way it'll speed it up a little bit, and even out some of the advantage for picking early (people who pick later in the 1st round will be making their double picks first in the 4th round). And that way we all should have heard of pretty much everyone picked.

So I guess I'll pull the draft order out of a hat now - and we can do the draft over the next day or two? There shouldn't be a ton of research needed for picking 5 names. I'll pick the below names out to determine the order, and if someone has to bail - everyone else will just jump up a spot. I'm willing to make people's picks for them if need be (they can send me their list to select at their point in the draft), but its fine if they want to bail as well.

@TarHeelNation11
@gunslingerdick
@UNC '92
@UNC71-00
@tarheel0910
@bleeduncblue
@gteeitup
@coryfly
@plm
@jcolucci
@heelmanwilm
@Raising Heel
@coolwaterunc
@Hark_The_Sound_2010

Drum Roll please.... and the order is:

1 tarheel0910
2 Bleed
3 gteeitup
4 plm
5 GSD
6 Hark
7 UNC71-00
8 jcolucci
9 THN11
10 CoryFly
11 Raising Heel
12 UNC '92
13 coolwaterunc
14 Heelmanwilm

If anyone is out (Bleed may be?) and could let us know now, that'd be great so we're not waiting around for their pick. We agreed on $10 per poster. I don't know if we can have a strict time limit on picks, because I'm assuming it's going to end up going into tomorrow, so just try to get your picks in at a reasonable rate. I guess if there is consensus someone is taking much longer than they should we can begin to skip them (and they can jump back in and make a pick as soon as they can after that). We'll do 5 picks each, snake style (so it goes in reverse order for the 2nd and 4th rounds), with the last round (4th) being a double pick round.

As mentioned ad nauseum earlier in the thread, eligible picks need to be celebrities, and have a reasonable chance at being alive in a couple months. That's pretty much it.

@tarheel0910 - you're on the clock.

Reactions: Raising Heel
This is an anti-climactic beginning to the draft, considering Bleed is probably MIA until tonight, haha.

Do we skip - or let it play out as is? I have a feeling we'll be running into this issue fairly often. Who knows how much longer Kirk Douglas has left.

Or if easier, we can announce an official start time for the draft -sometime over the next day or two (the Kirk Douglas pick obviously will still stand) and then have everyone either say they can make that time or not - and then hold people to like 10 minutes or something. Or I can even take lists from everyone and essentially run the draft myself picking the top person available on each persons list at their draft position (or only do that for those that can't make it, and have everyone that can do the draft as planned, with me submitting picks for those that cant). I'd have my own list and could send it along elsewhere to prove I'm not frontrunning people's picks.

I just don't want to see the pool fizzle because we couldn't figure out the best way to get 14 posters to be available at the same time to draft.

Can I select "This contest's integrity" after that shambolic draft order...? I mean, 9th overall pick?! I demand a comprehensive review from a neutral party. What's Kenny Wainstein up to these days?

9th pick is way better than 5th pick. I'll trade you if you want.

Damn.

Ok, what if something unfortunate happened to one of them but there was no evidence of foul play?

If the glove don't fit - we must acquit!

But back to trying to actually get this thing to happen here: are we waiting for Bleed to post his picks tonight - and then hopefully the rest of the board follows suit and we can get a few rounds in, or should we pick a draft time and anyone who can't what are we thinking here?

I figure even at that point we'll have someone in the list who isn't available and we'll end up just waiting on them - which is why I thought people sending me their "big boards" would hurry this process along.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT