ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Celebrity Death Pool

Hark_The_Sound_2010

Hall of Famer
Nov 10, 2009
Boston
So after having temporarily hijacked RH's Celebrity Crush thread with mention of my celebrity death pool, I realized there are other sick bastards in the OOTB ranks that would like to do a similar pool here.

I'm not sure how best to go about organizing this - so if you think you have a good idea how to do so, please share. In the one I do with my buddies, we draft in person - so it makes it pretty easy to do the snake draft style. And we pick numbers out of a hat to determine the order. Since neither are possible in the OOTB pool, we'll need to find alternatives. I would suggest either a random number generator or something along those lines to determine the order - although it doesn't make a huge difference in the order if its snake style. As for the actual picking of people - I think it would be way too slow and annoying to have people poast their choices one by one in the drafting order in this thread, but if that's the best way then so be it. Alternatively, we could have everyone send me a list of their top choices (I'd say at least double the amount of the actual picks we'll have to ensure backups for the very likely event that someone will have already picked some of your people). I would then essentially just perform the snake draft on my own using each poaster's list and selecting their top available name (if you want me to send my list somewhere as well to prove I'm not gaming my choices based on others that's fine with me).

So assuming we get the logistics down, we need to hammer out the details. How many picks per poaster do we want? In my other pool, we have 5 guys, and we thought 50 candidates would be a good amount, so we did 10 each. I'm not sure how many poaster's will be in on this, but something around 50 candidates is probably good (the more candidates, the more likely we'll get a winner sooner obviously - but if we get over 100 candidates it'll take forever to draft, and we'll probably start coming upon a lot of B-listers that no one has heard of before).

I would say at a minimum we should have the same two rules I have in my other pool - that the person has to be a celebrity (we can have some majority percentage of the poaster's knowledge of that person determine if they fit the celebrity criteria), and that person can't already be terminally ill at the draft (if they get terminally ill after the draft - great scouting job!). If people want to add in other caveats, like some amount of your picks have to be under a certain age, or something like that - we can see if that gets majority approval.

I'm fine with redrafting after we get a winner (assuming the draft process we figure out is easy enough), or we can make it like a fantasy sports keeper league (where you keep your favorite, say, 3 picks - and then redraft the rest), or we can make it like a fantasy sports dynasty league (where you keep everyone you draft, and the winner of each round simply selects another name to replace the newly departed). I'm also fine with doing this just for $#!T$ and giggles, or having everyone promise to paypal/venmo $20 (or some other amount) like we did with the bowl pickem contest - up to you all. Regardless of which format we do, people would be free to come/go after each round.

Depending on how many picks there are (and how good those picks are) I would estimate a round to be anywhere from a couple months to a year - so be patient with it, don't get all pissed off when no one has died yet a week into the pool. If there's anything I missed, or that I could better clarify, let me know.

So poast here to let me know if you're in - and what rules and everything you'd like to have - and we can get the ball rolling on this thing.

I only want to play if we can name our pick set like a fantasy team. Can you imagine what these sick bastards will come up with?
giphy.gif

What is this? Like, what celebrity would you (hypothetically) want to perish?

What is this? Like, what celebrity would you (hypothetically) want to perish?

Well, whether you want them to perish is completely up to you. That's probably even a little sick for my taste, but hey - I can see some people here getting that into it that they begin rooting.

For the pool, it's just who you think will die soon.

Well, whether you want them to perish is completely up to you. That's probably even a little sick for my taste, but hey - I can see some people here getting that into it that they begin rooting.

For the pool, it's just who you think will die soon.

Ah, gotcha. That makes me less uncomfortable, haha.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
If you pick Ashley Olsen and Ashley Judd to your squad, I think Ashes to Ashes would be appropriate.

Or if you think Dusty Baker will take a line drive to the head, Dust to Dust?

As a Reds fan I would take Dusty back today. I long for decent seasons with mediocre finishes.

Reactions: tarheel0910
So after having temporarily hijacked RH's Celebrity Crush thread with mention of my celebrity death pool, I realized there are other sick bastards in the OOTB ranks that would like to do a similar pool here.

I'm not sure how best to go about organizing this - so if you think you have a good idea how to do so, please share. In the one I do with my buddies, we draft in person - so it makes it pretty easy to do the snake draft style. And we pick numbers out of a hat to determine the order. Since neither are possible in the OOTB pool, we'll need to find alternatives. I would suggest either a random number generator or something along those lines to determine the order - although it doesn't make a huge difference in the order if its snake style. As for the actual picking of people - I think it would be way too slow and annoying to have people poast their choices one by one in the drafting order in this thread, but if that's the best way then so be it. Alternatively, we could have everyone send me a list of their top choices (I'd say at least double the amount of the actual picks we'll have to ensure backups for the very likely event that someone will have already picked some of your people). I would then essentially just perform the snake draft on my own using each poaster's list and selecting their top available name (if you want me to send my list somewhere as well to prove I'm not gaming my choices based on others that's fine with me).

So assuming we get the logistics down, we need to hammer out the details. How many picks per poaster do we want? In my other pool, we have 5 guys, and we thought 50 candidates would be a good amount, so we did 10 each. I'm not sure how many poaster's will be in on this, but something around 50 candidates is probably good (the more candidates, the more likely we'll get a winner sooner obviously - but if we get over 100 candidates it'll take forever to draft, and we'll probably start coming upon a lot of B-listers that no one has heard of before).

I would say at a minimum we should have the same two rules I have in my other pool - that the person has to be a celebrity (we can have some majority percentage of the poaster's knowledge of that person determine if they fit the celebrity criteria), and that person can't already be terminally ill at the draft (if they get terminally ill after the draft - great scouting job!). If people want to add in other caveats, like some amount of your picks have to be under a certain age, or something like that - we can see if that gets majority approval.

I'm fine with redrafting after we get a winner (assuming the draft process we figure out is easy enough), or we can make it like a fantasy sports keeper league (where you keep your favorite, say, 3 picks - and then redraft the rest), or we can make it like a fantasy sports dynasty league (where you keep everyone you draft, and the winner of each round simply selects another name to replace the newly departed). I'm also fine with doing this just for $#!T$ and giggles, or having everyone promise to paypal/venmo $20 (or some other amount) like we did with the bowl pickem contest - up to you all. Regardless of which format we do, people would be free to come/go after each round.

Depending on how many picks there are (and how good those picks are) I would estimate a round to be anywhere from a couple months to a year - so be patient with it, don't get all pissed off when no one has died yet a week into the pool. If there's anything I missed, or that I could better clarify, let me know.

So poast here to let me know if you're in - and what rules and everything you'd like to have - and we can get the ball rolling on this thing.

1) snake style is fine and I think I speak for the board saying we trust you to pick from a hat and tell us where we are slotted. No need to focus on details- people are dying as we type, so let's get this show on the road.

2) I think we could do it live (start a thread and then respond) - it would probably take a day or 2 to get the draft completed but there are plenty of people still living. The only thing that would suck would be if someone kicked the can during the draft. Maybe the rule should be that once a round is completed, then those picks are all, well, live. But if someone passes during an incomplete round who was picked during that round, then tough shit. Probably won't happen, but better plan for it.

3) I like keeper league. 10 each is fine with keeping 3.

4) $10 or $20 a funeral is fine with me. PayPal, unless you are Dick who mails cash. Everyone on here seems to be a man of his word- we have run several pools and I think everyone gets paid- I know I did when I won one.

5) I don't care about any of the other rules- whatever is fine with me.

1) snake style is fine and I think I speak for the board saying we trust you to pick from a hat and tell us where we are slotted. No need to focus on details- people are dying as we type, so let's get this show on the road.

2) I think we could do it live (start a thread and then respond) - it would probably take a day or 2 to get the draft completed but there are plenty of people still living. The only thing that would suck would be if someone kicked the can during the draft. Maybe the rule should be that once a round is completed, then those picks are all, well, live. But if someone passes during an incomplete round who was picked during that round, then tough shit. Probably won't happen, but better plan for it.

3) I like keeper league. 10 each is fine with keeping 3.

4) $10 or $20 a funeral is fine with me. PayPal, unless you are Dick who mails cash. Everyone on here seems to be a man of his word- we have run several pools and I think everyone gets paid- I know I did when I won one.

5) I don't care about any of the other rules- whatever is fine with me.

I agree we should get the show on the road. As of now, it looks like we have Bleed, GSD, Jcolluci, 71, and myself. RH may be in, may not be in, he's just sayin'. I'm not sure if Cory and Mark are interested or just wanna watch it go down. If we want to wait for a few more entries I'm fine with that, if we want to just roll with the 5 above (or more if the others in the thread are in), I can draw the names today and announce the draft order. Then we can begin the draft.

Since 71 seems to be the only one that poasted input - we'll go with his suggestions. Snake style draft - and poast in order, 1 pick at a time, and go through 10 rounds (your 3 favorites will be keepers for next round). What 71 said about mid-draft deaths is fine with me, if they were picked in a completed round, they're in the books. We just have to be diligent on making sure we regularly check back in at least until the draft is over - no one wants to wait 5 days between picks cuz someone hasn't checked the board in awhile. I'm good with $20 per person to the winner each round (if someone doesn't want to do money, speak now or forever hold your peace). Let's keep it basic at least at first - pick any non-terminally ill celebrity, doesn't matter their age, no bonuses or anything - if this thing sticks we can start to add caveats.

And yes, for GSD, we can name our pick sets. I'll roll with Abra Cadaver!

I agree we should get the show on the road. As of now, it looks like we have Bleed, GSD, Jcolluci, 71, and myself. RH may be in, may not be in, he's just sayin'. I'm not sure if Cory and Mark are interested or just wanna watch it go down. If we want to wait for a few more entries I'm fine with that, if we want to just roll with the 5 above (or more if the others in the thread are in), I can draw the names today and announce the draft order. Then we can begin the draft.

Since 71 seems to be the only one that poasted input - we'll go with his suggestions. Snake style draft - and poast in order, 1 pick at a time, and go through 10 rounds (your 3 favorites will be keepers for next round). What 71 said about mid-draft deaths is fine with me, if they were picked in a completed round, they're in the books. We just have to be diligent on making sure we regularly check back in at least until the draft is over - no one wants to wait 5 days between picks cuz someone hasn't checked the board in awhile. I'm good with $20 per person to the winner each round (if someone doesn't want to do money, speak now or forever hold your peace). Let's keep it basic at least at first - pick any non-terminally ill celebrity, doesn't matter their age, no bonuses or anything - if this thing sticks we can start to add caveats.

I'm in.

No bonus points for

Dying nude?
The press report using a mug shot?
Body going undiscovered for at least two days?
Person has multiple aliases?

My team "worms gotta eat too"

Worthy of consideration, but I agree with Hark- let's go flat $20 and if we can keep this thing going for at least a few instances of terrible tragedy, then we can add some flair.

Also, Hark, I know in the past some peeps have preferred $10 on some of the pools. Can we put stakes to a vote?

I vote $20, but don't care one way or the other.

Ok so Heelmanwilm and tarheel0910 are in - that puts us at 7 definites. The stakes are definitely open to a vote, $20 is my vote as well, so thats 3 for $20, but if enough people prefer $10 we can do that. Maybe in a couple hours it will be clear that we're getting no more entries and I can draw the order.

I'm putting Heelman as the favorite as of now - based strictly on his avatar. I also love the "worms gotta eat too" team name.

I say we go $10 because I want this to be an ongoing thing. If we make it $20 each time, I fear we'll be losing participants after the first one or two times doing it. Just my thoughts.

I was thinking of Hocus Necrosis but I'm going to stew on mine for a while before I declare my team name.

I say we go $10 because I want this to be an ongoing thing. If we make it $20 each time, I fear we'll be losing participants after the first one or two times doing it. Just my thoughts.

Maybe- thats a good point Dick, once again proving that on occasion, even a blind hog finds a truffle.

Is there anyone reading this thread who would be in @ $10 but not @ $20?

Ok, there is only one choice for the 71-00 team.

Henceforth we shall be known as the Grateful Dead.

So THN is in, making 8 now. I'm fine with $10 if that will better ensure continuity. Should I wait for more entries, or do the draft order now?

The mascot of my squad:

Reactions: tarheel0910
I don't really understand. So we take someone and if they pass first we get paid?

Yes, everyone drafts 10 people. Right now we have 8 confirmed participants, so we'll have 80 names drafted. Whoever of those 80 die first, the poaster who selected that person wins, and the rest of the poasters all send that person money (which I believe is $10 now?). Then, each poaster will select 3 names from his list of 10 (or list of 9, in the case of the winner) to keep for the next round, and then we'll do another draft (where anyone who fits the criteria and not being kept by a poaster is eligible to be drafted). Assuming people make decent picks, I'd anticipate each round lasting a couple months.

I don't really understand. So we take someone and if they pass first we get paid?

That's it.

Then we redraft, re-ante and it starts again, although you can keep up to 3 of your previous picks if they have been looking a little under the weather or hanging around the Clintons.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
Yes, everyone drafts 10 people. Right now we have 8 confirmed participants, so we'll have 80 names drafted. Whoever of those 80 die first, the poaster who selected that person wins, and the rest of the poasters all send that person money (which I believe is $10 now?). Then, each poaster will select 3 names from his list of 10 (or list of 9, in the case of the winner) to keep for the next round, and then we'll do another draft (where anyone who fits the criteria and not being kept by a poaster is eligible to be drafted). Assuming people make decent picks, I'd anticipate each round lasting a couple months.

Can keep up to 3 names, but dont have to, right?

And if you keep up to 3, then they replace your picks in the first 3 rounds of the new draft. But if you have to declare before draft starts who you are keeping.

I know it seems complicated Cory, but it's not. It will probably amount to 3-6 $10 bets a year, where you are wagering $10 for a chance to win $70 (assuming 8 participants).

And you are rooting for people to die. That's the other part.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT