ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Chain Restaurants Tourney: John Bunting Region, Round of 32

LOLOLOLOLOL. Who are you trying to fool? It's eggs, pork products, and stuff fried in lard. Don't get me wrong, I like their food, but suggesting that Cracker Barrel is above average food is downright laughable.
And they make above average eggs, pork and fried stuff. I'm not saying CB is excellent, just that it's above average. CB is a solid mid major. Cheesecake is an also ran.

And they make above average eggs, pork and fried stuff.

But it's above average eggs, pork products and stuff fried in lard.
Compared to what, exactly? I can get the same quality food at the greasy spoon diner up the street from my house.

At least cool has the sense to know that Mellow Mushroom is better food than Bojangles. I'll say it one more time. This is a contest for judging the best restaurant, in which the quality of the food should be the primary consideration IMO. If you think Bojangles and Cracker Barrel are legitimate contenders, then your taste buds are obviously impaired.

. This is a contest for judging the best restaurant, in which the quality of the food should be the primary consideration IMO. If you think Bojangles and Cracker Barrel are legitimate contenders, then your taste buds are obviously impaired.

Yeah, I guess. But if we were really looking at it like that, then I'd say over half of the field wouldn't even get a vote. Personally, it's rare that I ever choose chain restaurants. A locally owned joint is usually going to have a higher quality of food. So while I agree with your sentiment, if we really looked at it through that lens, this whole restaurant tournament would have been a bust from the jump. I think we've all just kind of agreed to humor THN.

Reactions: UNC71-00
Compared to what, exactly? I can get the same quality food at the greasy spoon diner up the street from my house.
Compared to other chain restaurants that serve that food. Greasy spoon diner didn't make the tournament. Doesn't matter if it's better.

At least cool has the sense to know that Mellow Mushroom is better food than Bojangles. I'll say it one more time. This is a contest for judging the best restaurant, in which the quality of the food should be the primary consideration IMO.
I'm not that big of a chain pizza person, so chicken is going to win most of the time when it's up against pizza. Chicken is normally the better quality of food between the two. I'm not a huge fan of Bojangles, but it's better than chain pizza.

If you think Bojangles and Cracker Barrel are legitimate contenders, then your taste buds are obviously impaired.
They aren't legitimate contenders for the title, they just had easy matchups. If all we are doing is voting for contenders then we should have just stopped the contest with Chick-fil-a.

This is a contest for judging the best restaurant, in which the quality of the food should be the primary consideration IMO.
I don't think that was ever specified. You can vote based on which chain restaurant has the funniest ad campaign, the most franchise locations, or the creepiest mascot character if that's what floats your boat.

I don't think that was ever specified. You can vote based on which chain restaurant has the funniest ad campaign, the most franchise locations, or the creepiest mascot character if that's what floats your boat.
No, it wasn't ever specified, but if the quality of the food isn't among the most important considerations then you're probably an idiot.

Psst. It's called the Chain Restaurant Tournament.

Ok, fine. But if we were looking at like you are, then this whole tournament would be a sham. I voted for Ruby Tuesdays over KFC. I wouldn't step foot in either place. So how can my vote really count? I might have made a case for a particular restaurant but most likely I didn't use the "quality of food" argument.

No, it wasn't ever specified, but if the quality of the food isn't among the most important considerations then you're probably an idiot.
giphy.gif

Reactions: tarheel0910
Not sure why this came up as a RH quote for you, but yes I have been to Mellow Mushroom.
Neither do I, but I switched it to you. Weird.

So you've been to Mellow Mushroom, but you're still calling it "chain pizza"? I don't know about everyone else, but Mellow Mushroom is not chain pizza to me. When I think of chain pizza, I think of Pizza Hut, Domino's, Papa John's, etc. Hell, there are many local joints that can't make a pizza as good as Mellow Mushroom. They are legit.

Neither do I, but I switched it to you. Weird.

So you've been to Mellow Mushroom, but you're still calling it "chain pizza"? I don't know about everyone else, but Mellow Mushroom is not chain pizza to me. When I think of chain pizza, I think of Pizza Hut, Domino's, Papa John's, etc. Hell, there are many local joints that can't make a pizza as good as Mellow Mushroom. They are legit.
Plus... their calzones. Good lawd, their calzones.

So CB is above average because Bojangles is average? FFS, what is below average? You must be another one of JuleZ' 7/11 diners.
You asked me to name a restaurant that made the same food that was below CB. I did that. If you want a different answer, ask a different question. Both are above average, but I think CB is the better between the two.

They have over 150 locations, so I think that qualifies as a chain. Would it make you feel better if I called it a regional restaurant?

They have over 150 locations, so I think that qualifies as a chain. Would it make you feel better if I called it a regional restaurant?
I'm not disputing that Mellow Mushroom is a chain restaurant, it is. You just said you don't like "chain pizza" like you were bringing Mellow Mushroom down to the level of most other pizza chains that serve generic pizza, which Mellow Mushroom clearly doesn't. Their pizza goes far and beyond your typical chain pizza joints, which is why they are getting my vote.

I'm not disputing that Mellow Mushroom is a chain restaurant, it is. You just said you don't like "chain pizza" like you were bringing Mellow Mushroom down to the level of most other pizza chains that serve generic pizza, which Mellow Mushroom clearly doesn't. Their pizza goes far and beyond your typical chain pizza joints, which is why they are getting my vote.
If it were up against other pizza chain restaurants then it might get my vote. That's not the case here. Chicken > pizza for me in most cases. You can always do a pizza chain tournament if you want.

You asked me to name a restaurant that made the same food that was below CB. I did that. If you want a different answer, ask a different question.
You're the one who said "compared to other chain restaurants that serve that food." I asked the right question. You just moved the goalpoasts.

I'll ask you again: what are the other chain restaurants that serve the same type of food (breakfast/family/comfort) that make CB look like a high-quality outfit? I ask because their competitors are Denny's, IHOP, Bob Evans (@gunslingerdick), Perkins, etc. all of which are comparable or better quality than Cracker Barrel.

ETA: Of course all of this is irrelevant because their competition this round is The Cheesecake Factory, which unquestionably serves better quality food than Cracker Barrel. TCF serves filet mignon. CB serves chicken fried steak.

Last edited:
Reactions: toophly1124
I'll ask you again: what are the other chain restaurants that serve the same type of food (breakfast/family/comfort) that make CB look like a high-quality outfit? I ask because their competitors are Denny's, IHOP, Bob Evans (@gunslingerdick), Perkins, etc. all of which are comparable or better quality than Cracker Barrel.
WTF? You've lost this thread. You should be ashamed.

You just moved the goalpoasts.
No I didn't, but I will leave your incorrect statement alone and proceed with the rest of your terrible post.

Ok, first off I never said CB was a high-quality outfit. I said it was above average. If you are asking me to choose from the list you provided I would say CB is better than IHOP and Denny's. Neither one are terrible, but they just don't move the needle for me.

ETA: Of course all of this is irrelevant because their competition this round is The Cheesecake Factory, which unquestionably serves better quality food than Cracker Barrel. TCF serves filet mignon. CB serves chicken fried steak.
So because they serve filet mignon that makes them better? Yeah, that's sound logic. I didn't even know people actually went to TCF for a bland filet. Those type of people would sadden me and I feel sorry for them.

Reactions: coolwaterunc
Ok, I think I'm starting to wrap my head around what's going on here.

I've looked back through the original thread, and nowhere was it stated that we were voting for the "Best" or even a "Good" chain restaurant. So I think many people must have interpreted this contest as a voting of which shitty NC based place we get a warm fuzzy feeling from even though it sucks.

Only rational explanation for what's going on in this 1v8 matchup right now.

Reactions: Raising Heel
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT