ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Chain Restaurants Tourney: John Bunting Region, Round of 64

TarHeelNation11

Hall of Famer
Mar 9, 2007
Lowell, NC
Round of 64 for The John Bunting Region, Presented by Stihl will now begin. Let's keep chopping wood, folks. Voting will close on Saturday, June 3rd at 11:59 p.m. Original seedings and bracket listings can be found here.

I'm going to tag people so they see this thread and don't forget to vote. @UNC71-00 @Raising Heel @UNC '92 @JuleZ '02 HEEL @gunslingerdick @DeanFor President @coolwaterunc @grillheel @heelz2345 @coryfly @HEELS1984 @toophly1124 @tarheel0910 @TarHeelMark @Hark_The_Sound_2010 @BillyL @tazki @ohio tarheels

The John Bunting Region, Presented by Stihl

#1 Bojangles' Famous Chicken 'n Biscuits vs. #16 Golden Corral

#8 Mellow Mushroom vs. #9 HWY 55 Burgers, Shakes & Fries

#5 Subway vs. # #12 Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen

#4 Hardee's vs. #13 Steak 'n Shake **Keep your eyes on this match-up**

#6 Outback Steakhouse vs. #11 Chipotle Mexican Grill

#3 Taco Bell vs. #14 Fuddrucker's

#7 The Cheesecake Factory vs. #10 Bonefish Grill

#2 Cracker Barrel vs. #15 Logan's Roadhouse

Last edited:
Bojangles works for me . .

I'm torn between Mellow & Hwy.55 as I love them both . . gimme Hwy.55

Popeyes . . . I likey their spicy chicken and that cajun gravy.

Steak 'n Shake. I haven't eaten at either in a very long time.

Chipotle. I don't eat here often, but, it is good food.

Fuddruckers. Taco Bell is gross.

Cheesecake Factory. XL portions and a 30 minute menu read (options) . . I've had some very good mixed drinks here too.

Logans. Love this restaurant, I like Cracker Barrel's breakfasts though.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
Bojangles - Might as well be a 'bye'

Mellow Mushroom - As soon as I sing Hwy 55's praises, they get matched up with my favorite pizza chain. Sorry, Hwy 55, but you got one of the worst matchups possible. Mellow Mushroom is near pizza perfection. Their toppings taste so fresh, their crust is amazing, and the cheese has that perfect string action when you take a slice from the pie. Delicious.

Popeyes - Basically, Popeyes is just Bojangles Jr. They're okay, but Subway should not be a 5 seed. No idea why they got so many nominations. I wouldn't mind them so much if their prices were as cheap as their quality is bad, but they aren't. The $5 footlongs worked, but ever since they got rid of them, they're worthless.

Steak 'n Shake - I like Hardee's, but Steak 'n Shake is the most underrated and underappreciated burger joint in the country. They are just freaking good, and plus, what other burger chain offers chili on spaghetti? None, that's how many. Hardee's makes too many gimmick burgers that just aren't good. Their standard burgers are good, I think, and if they would focus on marketing those instead of focusing on all this garbage they keep throwing at us, they'd be a lot more successful than they are. I mean, a burger topped with a hot dog and potato chips...really??? Just stop. They should go all day breakfast, by the way.

Outback - This is a pretty difficult one for me, but I gotta go with the Bloomin' Onion.

Taco Bell - Fuddrucker's is alright, but at the end of the day, they're just another burger place. They don't stand out for me. With Taco Bell, if you have constipation issues, you get a tasty meal plus a laxative. I dig Taco Bell.

The Cheesecake Factory - Cheesecake gets the nod because I've never been to Bonefish, and I don't like seafood. I don't care for Cheesecake Factory all that much, honestly. They just got a favorable matchup.

Cracker Barrel - The southern staple. If you don't like Cracker Barrel, then get the hell out. That's all I have to say.

Bojangles- Cajun Filet Club Sandwich one of the best sandwiches ever created.

HWY 55- I know a guy who owns one so why not?

Subway- Their fresh baked breads are delicious. The buffalo chicken is probably my favorite. Also have good salads.

Hardee's- I flipped a coin.

Outback- Ribeye or a Filet all day.

Taco Bell- Don't eat there hardly ever but when I do I'm happily surprised. #6 is my go to when I go. Two beef chalupa surpremes and a taco.

Bonefish Grill- Bang Bang Shrimp

Logans- Flipped another coin.

I’ve never had a more vomitous experience than when I’ve eaten at the GC food trough…. Ugh! Bojangles all the way!

When I lived in Apex years ago, I had to take NC Hwy 55 home from work and it sucked (at the time it was only two lanes). Plus I've never heard of the joint until this contest. MM is pretty good too!

#5 Subway vs. #12 Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen
We joke about Subway at work, as it’s the place to get something quick and bland, but it’s not terrible; just OK; and I honestly can’t remember the last time I had Popeye’s.

#4 Hardee's vs. #13 Steak 'n Shake
Hardee's biscuits are pretty good, but Steak ‘n Shake was always a favorite place that my Dad (RIP) would take us and my kids when they were little, so there are some good memories for me. The Frisco Melt is pretty damn good.

Close call, but the Bloomin’ Onion sways my vote.

I’m sure Taco Bell will win this one, but I’m not a fan, so I’ll throw a vote toward the upset.

I’ve never been to a CF, so I’ll go with BG even though they are nothing special.

I love having breakfast for dinner at Cracker Barrel. And their lemonade is on par with Chic-Fil-A.

-- An intra-North Carolina matchup but that's where the similarities end. Bojangles doesn't even bother to dress its starters and still wins by 35 points. Boberry biscuits. Cajun filet biscuit. Biscuits with white gravy. Seasoned fries. It's Southern comfort food perfection.

- I agree with all of @coolwaterunc's descriptions of Mellow, but would like to add my own: do NOT sleep on the Mellow Mushroom calzone. Their calzones are the best I've ever had and they're ridiculously huge for only like $10. It can easily serve as two or even three meals if you portion it. Plus, Mellow serves beer.

- This is that one trendy 12-over-5 matchup that everyone picks and then it actually does happen. Subway's terribleness is overstated, but you gotta go with fried chicken over Subway's generic subs.

-
Steak n' Shake is my favorite burger. They are hangover heaven and have a cool aesthetic inside if you choose to dine in (you even get your own waiter, which might blow your mind if you've only ever gone through their drive-thru). Cajun double steakburger for the win.

- Cheese fries and/or Bloomin' Onion. Plus, their Kookabura Wings are lit af. Chipotle is decent but nothing beyond alright. It doesn't live up to its cult hero status.

- I don't care for either one but I like upsets.

- I don't eat seafood.

#2 Cracker Barrel vs. #15 Logan's Roadhouse[/QUOTE]
- Welcome to the South out of Roanoke.

#1 Bojangles' Famous Chicken 'n Biscuits
D'uh.

#8 Mellow Mushroom
Difficult matchup, both of these really should be advancing. Really tough to go against Andy's, but maybe if they hadn't gone and tried to change their name ...

#5 Subway
Popeye's is just a Bojangles wannabe. And since there's like 5 Bojangles per square mile in any decent-size town, it's simply unnecessary. Subway gets through by default; can I keep Andy's alive instead?

#4 Hardee's
Never had Steak 'n Shake. Probably good but if they don't serve my market ...

#6 Outback Steakhouse
Pretty good stuff at Outback. Bonus point for exaggerated Aussie accent commercials.

#3 Taco Bell
The Bell is not for the queasy but it gets the nod over yet another generic restaurant.

#7 The Cheesecake Factory
Meh. I think I've eaten at each maybe once.

#2 Cracker Barrel
Landslide. Used to be our only stop (other than gas/bathrooms) on the 24-hour drive to visit Mom's family in Iowa. Nothing like a huge breakfast after driving/riding through the night.

Blow-out city!

Mellow mushroom in Florida is not the Mellow Mushroom I cut my teeth on in Ga.

Love that chicken at Popeyes!

Neither of these should have to lose to the other. Unfair.

Jesus I hate both of these places. Going with Outback based on the fact I can eat the onion.

I'll pay for my love of the Bell one day, I just know I will.

Another pairing where neither of the places get me excited. I'll take the cheesecake over the confused sea food dishes.

Steak chains do not excite me. I do it a million miles better at home on a damn cast iron skillet.

#4 Hardee's vs. #13 Steak 'n Shake **Keep your eyes on this match-up**

Bojangles - I've already stated my distaste for buffets especially at a place like Golden Corral. My god, can you imagine where some of those hands have been that are waving around above all that food? Nope. Plus, Bojangles is strong. I'm seeing a Bojangles Vs Jersey Mikes final.

Mellow Mushroom - never heard of the other place.

Popeyes - Personally, I wouldn't eat at either place. Everything taste the same at Subway and fried chicken places are gross. But I like the Popeyes commercials better.

Steak-n-Shake - reluctantly. The one here recently was cited for some gross-as-shit health inspection citations. I won't eat at either of these places either. But those Hardees commercials piss me off. There is nothing attractive about watching someone eat close up or having to listen to it. Those burgers look gross.

Outback - Chipotle is good. But nothing is as good as that bloomin' onion thing.

Fuddruckers - I thought they went out of business. But even if they had, I'll take my memories of those burgers over Taco Bell. I like Taco Bell. It is delicious. But it's not food and therefore shouldn't win in a food match up.

Cheesecake Factory - I think I've only eaten at each place once. Don't remember anything about either. So I'm picking the one that I think will get the most votes so we don't end up with another tie situation and THN11 poasting incessantly about how we have a tie.

Cracker Barrel - I've never eaten at Logans. And the biscuits and gravy at CB are pretty decent. It's no Bob Evans though.

Easily the worst bracket.

Bojangles is strong.

fried chicken places are gross.
giphy.gif

1 - The comment about Bo being strong was simply that everyone was going to vote for it. That's not to say I don't think it's gross. But...

2 - general rules don't apply to Bojangles. Bojangles is more of a "breakfast joint" than a "chicken joint".

Speaking of which, I've yet to see Biscuitville. I hope that made this little tournament.

I also feel the need to make the comment that not all restaurants are created the same. For example, there are some Bojangles I won't step foot in for fear of picking up hepatitis. But there are others where I'd eat off the floor. All my choices are based off of the restaurants that I frequent or have seen. For example, Chick-Fil-A is usually a safe place. More times than not, a CFA is clean and I feel good about eating there. Whereas I find the majority of Hardees to be located in areas of town that are seedier, less clean and therefore, less appetizing.

Reactions: Raising Heel
Speaking of which, I've yet to see Biscuitville. I hope that made this little tournament.
You're gonna be disappointed. They were "Next Four Out"

I also feel the need to make the comment that not all restaurants are created the same. For example, there are some Bojangles I won't step foot in for fear of picking up hepatitis. But there are others where I'd eat off the floor. All my choices are based off of the restaurants that I frequent or have seen. For example, Chick-Fil-A is usually a safe place. More times than not, a CFA is clean and I feel good about eating there. Whereas I find the majority of Hardees to be located in areas of town that are seedier, less clean and therefore, less appetizing.
#LynchburgProblems

If this were actually a close matchup, I'd probably vote for Bojangles, because I do like their Bo'berry biscuits. But after that, unlimited average food is better than a limited amount of average food, so I'll take the buffet. Also, I want it to be known that I think Bojangles is grossly over seeded, and should definitely lose in the next round to...

Outstanding establishment, love the atmosphere and the food. Just a high quality place. Never heard of HWY 55 (the restaurant or the road).

I've never eaten at Popeyes (although they do actually have some up here now), however if they're being referred to as a poor man's bojangles, I can't imagine how crappy they must be.

And here it is. Each tournament we've done has had a first round matchup that I just couldn't get my head around how you guys could botch it so badly, and make me want to give up on the tourney right from jump street. Out of the plethora of food places that are down in NC that aren't up here, there is one that I make sure to grab every time I go down there.... Hardee's.

Good little casual steak place. The prices are pretty reasonable. Chipotle couldn't hold Qdoba's jockstrap.

Haven't been to Fuddrucker's in forever, but TB is a drunk food staple. Probably second only to Hardee's in terms of calories per dollar. I'm all about value.

Just realized there actually is a Bonefish Grill in MA, never been but can't imagine they fare well against actual seafood places, who knows. I hate cheesecake - but the actual menu at the Factory is damn good.

Never eaten at either of these places, but at least I've heard of Cracker Barrel.

If this were actually a close matchup, I'd probably vote for Bojangles, because I do like their Bo'berry biscuits. But after that, unlimited average food is better than a limited amount of average food, so I'll take the buffet. Also, I want it to be known that I think Bojangles is grossly over seeded, and should definitely lose in the next round to....

Ok that's just ****ing nonsense dude. Knock it off.

Also, I want it to be known that I think Bojangles is grossly over seeded, and should definitely lose in the next round to...

Out of the plethora of food places that are down in NC that aren't up here, there is one that I make sure to grab every time I go down there.... Hardee's.
Move to have @Hark_The_Sound_2010's votes stricken from the record on the basis of utter incompetence.

#1 Bojangles' Famous Chicken 'n Biscuits-My wife has finally turned me into a 'mega troughs' are kind of gross kind of guy.

#8 Mellow Mushroom-Ate at a Mellow Mushroom in Chattanooga once. I was badly hungover but it was excellent.

#12 Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen-Subway is somewhat healthy and all but really not very good. I like spicy.

#4 Hardee's -If only for the breakfast, which is excellent.

#6 Outback Steakhouse-Good food all around and their kitchens are disturbingly clean.

#14 Fuddrucker's-This one was crazy tough for me. I love Taco Bell but Fuddrucker's is in my top 5 all time.

#7 The Cheesecake Factory-Bonefish would have beat out a lot but not The Cheesecake Factory. It is probably my favorite place to eat. Should be a 1 seed.

#2 Cracker Barrel-Both are ok. Going with CB for the dumplings, which are done right.

Reactions: Raising Heel
Bojangles
Mellow mushroom
Subway
Hardee's
Outback
Taco Bell
Cheesecake Factory
Cracker barrell

Bojangles
Highway 55 aka Andy's
Popeye's (never eaten at one but got to be better than Subway)
Steak N Shake (same, gotta be better than Hardee's)
Outback
Fuddrucker's
Bonefish Grill
Logan's

You need to go to a Steak 'n Shake. You'll be pleasantly surprised.
I would like to actually. Closest one is Raleigh and not one east of there in North Carolina that I could find. I spend as little time in Raleigh as possible, but if I get a chance, I'll check one out. :cool:

I would like to actually. Closest one is Raleigh and not one east of there in North Carolina that I could find. I spend as little time in Raleigh as possible, but if I get a chance, I'll check one out. :cool:
Yeah nothing good happens in Raleigh. Just looked it up and they have a very small footprint in N.C. which is interesting. Maybe just duck in real quick on the way home from a game one time and scoop up a burger. I recommend the garlic steakburger or cajun steakburger.

Reactions: grillheel
Yeah nothing good happens in Raleigh. Just looked it up and they have a very small footprint in N.C. which is interesting. Maybe just duck in real quick on the way home from a game one time and scoop up a burger. I recommend the garlic steakburger or cajun steakburger.
They've also got one in Burlington so I could always bring you one en route to a game one time.

They've also got one in Burlington so I could always bring you one en route to a game one time.
Thanks, but I'll probably stick with another choice of cold beverage, homemade pimento cheese, and fried chicken before games. I do want to check it out, though.

Thanks, but I'll probably stick with another choice of cold beverage, homemade pimento cheese, and fried chicken before games. I do want to check it out, though.
Oh I wasn't talking about the shakes lol. I've never had their shakes save maybe once or twice. Their burgers are what makes them good. But fair enough!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT