ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Rock Band Tournament First Round: Cliff Burton Region

tarheel0910

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2011
Earth
It’s time to start the first round of voting for the Cliff Burton Region. You will have 48 hours to make your selection before voting closes. I’ll give a brief rundown of each band and include my vote in a spoiler alert.

1 Rage Against the Machine- Grabbing the #1 spot is a band known for expressing their political views on many of their songs. With a lineup featuring one of the best modern day guitarist, Tom Morello, they would go on to earn critical acclaim.

16 Misfits- The Misfits were known for their use of science fiction and horror movie imagery as well as their hardcore punk sound. Their music would go on to become influential to multiple rock genres and musicians.

This is a tough one even though it’s 1 vs 16, but I’ve got to go with Morello and Rage Against the Machine.

2 Metallica- Known as one of the “big four” metal bands, Metallica is often considered one of the best metal bands of all time featuring some of the top musicians in the game such as Kirk Hammett and the departed Cliff Burton. They are one of the best-selling bands of all time with over 125 million albums sold.

15 Quiet Riot- Founded by one of the best rock guitarist of all time, Randy Rhoads, Quiet Riot is often credited to have the first heavy metal album to top the billboard charts.

Does this even need an explanation? Metallica by a mile.

3 Green Day- Selling more than 85 million albums worldwide, Green Day is often credited with helping to popularized mainstream interest in punk rock in the US. Their album American Idiot, was adapted for Broadway and won two Tony awards.

14 Def Leppard- It appears that we should rename this contest the best English group because we have yet another to make the list. Def Leppard is one of only five rock bands to have two albums go diamond.

Def Leppard has some good songs, but I have the time of my life with Green Day.

4 Black Sabbath- Black Sabbath is often mentioned as being one of the greatest metal bands of all time. Featuring lead singer Ozzy in their original line up they have gone on to sell over 70 million albums.

13 Volbeat- Volbeat is one of the youngest bands in our group having been formed in 2001. Despite that, they have already received critical acclaim and have achieved platinum status.

I AM IRON MAN! Black Sabbath wins this one.

5 Motley Crue- Founded by Pamela Anderson’s ex-husband Tommy Lee, Motley Crue has sold over 100 million albums worldwide. They are known for their hedonistic lifestyle just as much as their music.

12 Avenged Sevenfold- Another young group in our contest, A7X has quickly become one of the best known metal acts. They are led by the unique voice of M. Shadows and Synyster Gates, who has quickly become one of the top guitarist of his generation.

Motley is a little too glam for me. Going through bat country and picking Avenged on this one.

6 Ramones- One of the first bands to define the punk rock sound. Although they never achieved huge commercial success, they are considered to be hugely influential in their genre.

11 Iggy Pop- Sometimes referred to as the godfather of punk, Iggy is known for his stage antics just as much as his music. He also fronted the influential band the Stooges.

While both are highly influential to the genre, I’m going with the Ramones.

7 Ozzy Osbourne- He rose to fame as the lead singer of Black Sabbath. When combined with his Black Sabbath work, he has sold over 100 million albums. Known for his distinctive voice, he is considered an influential voice in metal history.

10 The Clash- Part of the original wave of British punk rock, they achieved both critical and commercial success. Their politicized lyrics and rebellious attitude have a major influence in rock.

Who doesn’t love to eat bats? Ozzy is your winner.

8 Slipknot- Known for wearing mask on stage and using numbers to name their nine members, Slipknot plays an aggressive style of metal. They have found both critical and commercial success with a strong and loyal following.

9 Iron Maiden- Another English band, Iron Maiden was a pioneer of British heavy metal. Even though they have never received much TV or radio support, they have sold over 100 million albums.

Going with Slipknot here because of their concerts, but their masks still scare the crap out of me.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
16-Misfits-Never heard of them but they are going against Rage so they win.

2-Metallica-Saw them live years ago. Crazy show with fights and people starting fires all the time.

14-Def Leppard-As Vegas would say, wrong team favored here.

4-Black Sabbath-Never heard of Volbeat.

5-Motley Crue-They have some good stuff. The other band doesn't.

6-Ramones

7-Ozzy

9-Iron Maiden-They have some awesome documentaries about them.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Yeah. I don't care for any of those bands, so I couldn't decide. But honestly I've never heard of Avenged until you and THN mentioned them.
I would recommend any guitar player to listen to some A7X. You might not care much for their music, but you would come away from it with a lot of respect for Synyster Gates.

List of bands for easier voting.

1 Rage Against the Machine
16 Misfits

2 Metallica
15 Quiet Riot

3 Green Day
14 Def Leopard

4 Black Sabbath
13 Volbeat

5 Motley Crue
12 Avenged Sevenfold

6 Ramones
11 Iggy Pop

7 Ozzy Osbourne
10 The Clash

8 Slipknot
9 Iron Maiden

List of bands for easier voting.

1 Rage Against the Machine
16 Misfits

2 Metallica
15 Quiet Riot

3 Green Day
14 Def Leopard

4 Black Sabbath
13 Volbeat

5 Motley Crue
12 Avenged Sevenfold

6 Ramones
11 Iggy Pop

7 Ozzy Osbourne
10 The Clash

8 Slipknot
9 Iron Maiden
NOW you add the list? LOL.

Jk, you're doing a great job on this tourney.

I would recommend any guitar player to listen to some A7X. You might not care much for their music, but you would come away from it with a lot of respect for Synyster Gates.
Syn is a fukking legend on the guitar. It's an insult to musical talent that Motley ****ing Crue is going to win that matchup. Holy ****.

Rage Against the Machine

Metallica -- the O.G.

Green Day -- I'm mature enough to look past Green Day's politics. Their early stuff is amazing, such as "Longview," "Brain Stew," etc.

Volbeat -- COUNTING ALL THE ASSHOLES IN THE ROOM.........I'M DEFINITELY NOT ALONE

Avenged Sevenfold
-- I discovered this band in 2003 (at age ~14) and it literally changed my musical outlook forever. Opened a whole new door for me, musically, and made me come to realize there was more out there than pop and Top 40. Not only did it lead me to screamo / alt rock / hardcore, it led me to discover all sorts of bands, genres, everything from punk to ska to prog rock. I cannot emphasize how much their album "Waking the Fallen" shaped my musical life.

Ramones
-- I'm kinda meh on both tbh.

The Clash -- how does Ozzie get himself and Black Sabbath in the same damn contest? I love The Clash.

Slipknot
-- I push my fingers into my EYESSSSSSS

I'm presenting three songs from Avenged Sevenfold. First one is "Chapter Four" is from their second album (but first real album, with all the current (living) lineup... the lineup they would come to be known by). Second video is "Burn it Down" which is from their album City of Evil, which started their transition into metal. The third is "Sidewinder" also from CoE. I don't give a shit if isn't your type of music. If y'all can listen to these two songs and still think Motley effing Crue were better musicians than these guys, I won't give anyone shit about their vote for MC. I mean fukk, if you're only going to listen to one, just listen to Sidewinder through its entirety (it's 7 minutes, sue me). It closes with Syn jumping in with an impromptu Spanish guitar riff. Let's see Motley Crue do that ish. Glam Metal motherf***ers. Holy Shit, where's the Tylenol?

I know y'all won't listen to all three, so just listen to "Sidewinder." It's the most palatable to folks who don't like metal / hard rock anyway.

1 Tom Morello

2 Metallica

14 Def Leppard- It appears that we should rename this contest the best English group because we have yet another to make the list. Def Leppard is one of only five rock bands to have two albums go diamond.

4 Black Sabbath- Vol-who?

12 Avenged Sevenfold- Synester Gates is one of the few players in modern metal that plays melodically instead of just making it a speed competition.

6 Ramones- cool t-shirts

7 Ozzy Osbourne- Dude was smart enough to hire Randy Rhodes

9 Iron Maiden-

12 Avenged Sevenfold
giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT