ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB's Political Thread . ..

Because he likes being a contrarian and difficult. If a problem doesn't affect him directly then he doesn't care.

And they say Millennials are selfish.
They are selfish. But, that's not as bad as being the baby boomer who is on the back-end of life and has nothing but regret and "what if?" left to contemplate. Not to mention, the confrontation of "I sold out for personal wealth and comfort, and it's too late now."

They are selfish. But, that's not as bad as being the baby boomer who is on the back-end of life and has nothing but regret and "what if?" left to contemplate. Not to mention, the confrontation of "I sold out for personal wealth and comfort, and it's too late now."

Should've listened to their own parents. GI Generation had foresight and the fortitude to look beyond their own lifetimes.

I love it when Boomers shit on people between the ages of 38-22, which by the way is the bracket for Millennials right now. Younger college age kids and high schoolers are Gen Z. 'Millennial' is often a pejorative term to disparage young people in general.

But to get back to my original point, Boomers who shit on youth now clearly forgot that older generations used to see them as the exact same way- entitled, spoiled, and too radical in their politics.

Should've listened to their own parents. GI Generation had foresight and the fortitude to look beyond their own lifetimes.

I love it when Boomers shit on people between the ages of 38-22, which by the way is the bracket for Millennials right now. Younger college age kids and high schoolers are Gen Z. 'Millennial' is often a pejorative term to disparage young people in general.

But to get back to my original point, Boomers who shit on youth now clearly forgot that older generations used to see them as the exact same way- entitled, spoiled, and too radical in their politics.

That's not all they say. Or at least, that's not all I say. I say millennials are selfish, dependent, unresourceful, whiny, ill-informed, entitled, not coachable, know-it-alls.

They say this about every generation. To write off everyone from age 22-38 as being selfish and undependable is pretty ill informed itself.

So says you?

Yeah and a lot of other people. Just look around you and take a look at your average newspaper or TV channel. Things go in and cycles and I believe we're at the point where many issues need to be firmly addressed- health care, campaign finance, immigration, opioid addiction, etc.

Dick, I know you operate from purely your own POV but it isn't just about the individual all the time.

I'm just going on what life has taught me. You'll get there one day when you have had some life experience. I'm rooting for you!

I have a 23 year old that I hired a little over a year ago. She's the best employee I've ever had so far. But she's the Luke Maye of millennials. All you other Andrew Plateks are the rule.

Dick, being young doesn't make a person naive or stupid. It doesn't mean they're entitled or spoiled. You're only looking at this from your own lense.

I don't get why you're such a hardass against young people. Older adults being so dismissive is precisely why youth tend to be more rebellious and outspoken. When you label an entire group of people as 'selfish and whiny' do you think anyone would take kindly to that? Lol what do you want?

Ok. So let's say I'm down for dealing with these issues. Let's try these fixes:

health care - every man for himself and I might agree to some regulations on health care costs.

campaign finance - "the cost of democracy", leave it alone

immigration - close all borders. No legal or illegal immigration for at least 10 years.

If you agree to these, then I will agree that the US can get to work. If not, then I think we should compromise on gridlock.

Thanks.

Every man for himself? That's your solution for health care?

And I believe that entities such as corporations and unions have too much sway in politics. I would limit that influence. Too much money in politics, then all they care about is money and then they spend half the time on the campaign trail.

As for immigration I'm with you on the illegal immigration, but why stop legal immigration? It's easier to regulate not to mention we should be trying to encourage the skilled citizens of other countries to move here. That's how we operated during the first 200 years of existence.

Reactions: strummingram
For you children to be seen and not heard.

edit - ok, that might have been a bit over the top. But I want young people to realize that most likely, you're not the smartest person in the room and for you to defer to people who know better or have had more experience in life.

Wow, never thought I'd see the day you backtracked on anything haha.

Dick, I'm not a child and neither is anyone in Gen Y. I'm a legal adult who can smoke, drink, fight, vote, and gamble. I don't think I'm the smartest person in the room, far from it. I believe in respect and listening to people who have lived longer than you. But we also don't deserve to be dismissed the way you're doing right now. Respect is also a two way street.

Everything @Raising Heel just spoke about plus election security reform to prevent more nations like Russia to try and hack and influence our elections.

How about election security reform where we require people voting in the election to show some sort of fvcking proof they're a citizen eligible to vote in the election first?

How about election security reform where we require people voting in the election to show some sort of fvcking proof they're a citizen eligible to vote in the election first?
Every election I have ever been a part of, since 1988, I always had to show my driver's license or some form of ID before I could vote.

Reactions: uncboy10
Once I believe millennials are willingly deferring to those with more wisdom, I can start respecting them in mass.

See, the whole problem with that is that this isn't Prussian Germany or Japan. Americans in general aren't good at the whole 'deferring' thing. It's in our spirit. Whether we're conscious of it or not, that's what kids are taught here. Go against the grain, fight for what you think is right, be creative, be an individual.

Dick, how on earth can you expect respect from young people when you think more of the dirt on your shoes than youth? Doesn't work like that.

I'm fine with that as long as it's not being used as a mechanism to keep a certain group of people from voting like in North Carolina. Remember, not everyone has a proper ID and not everyone has the money or capability of getting one.

Reactions: strummingram
But I don't believe there are problems on that level.

Ok. So let's say I'm down for dealing with these issues. Let's try these fixes:

health care - every man for himself and I might agree to some regulations on health care costs.

campaign finance - "the cost of democracy", leave it alone

immigration - close all borders. No legal or illegal immigration for at least 10 years.

If you agree to these, then I will agree that the US can get to work. If not, then I think we should compromise on gridlock.

Thanks.
Translation: "I got mine, f*** everybody else."

I don't know why you even bother to comment in these threads.

Every election I have ever been a part of, since 1988, I always had to show my driver's license or some form of ID before I could vote.

Might be a state thing then. I have voted in every election I've been eligible for and not once have I ever had to provide any ID. I don't even have to know my own name! Just have to give an address, then they give me my ballot.

I think no one would be surprised that a state like SC would require ID whereas a state like MA would let you pick a number and street name at random to get a ballot.

Reactions: Heelicious
Eh, Trump has said since his campaign that he doesn't like having troops overseas and despite all of his twitter threats, he's pretty much stuck to that. I don't think this has anything to do with any type of business interest.

Even if that were true, innocent people who we called our allies are going to die because trump is an idiot.

But...

Erdogan’s party encouraged him to seize trump towers as a retaliation to sanctions against turkey. And trump himself admitted the property was a conflict of interest in 2015.

I'm fine with that as long as it's not being used as a mechanism to keep a certain group of people from voting like in North Carolina. Remember, not everyone has a proper ID and not everyone has the money or capability of getting one.

It certainly is a mechanism to keep a certain group of people from voting. They're called non-citizens.

Give out ID cards for free to anyone that is planning on voting (obviously with proof that they're a citizen, be it a birth certificate or SSN or whatever) - that's such a tired excuse at this point.

I think no one would be surprised that a state like SC would require ID whereas a state like MA would let you pick a number and street name at random to get a ballot.
Because South Carolina doesn't mind disenfranchising voters?

I'm half-trolling here. I don't personally find voter ID laws unreasonable. I realize there are a few stories about folks who would be inconvenienced or disenfranchised but I think they're overblown. Voting is the backbone of our democracy and its integrity should be safeguarded.

Might be a state thing then. I have voted in every election I've been eligible for and not once have I ever had to provide any ID. I don't even have to know my own name! Just have to give an address, then they give me my ballot.

It was in NC and SC. Maybe it is a state thing. But, there was no denying that I had to provide proof of who I was and where I lived.

Then it looks like we are at impasse. Kind of like gridlock. I'm ok with it. You?

I mean yeah, agree to disagree and all that.

But the thing is Dick, sometimes in life you have to give a little to get something done. As @Raising Heel pointed out, you're attitude is purely about what benefits you in a given moment as opposed to trying to improve, to understand, and to evolve.

You want to call my generation selfish but that's your attitude? Doesn't that strike you as a tad hypocritical?

Remember, not everyone has a proper ID and not everyone has the money or capability of getting one.
I find this to be completely wrong. You need an id for almost everything you do. I don't think the four people who don't have an ID or the capability to get one should determine the rules for the 99% of people who do.

Last edited:
I find this to be completely wrong. You need an idea for almost everything you do. I don't think the four people who don't have an ID or the capability to get one should determine the rules for the 99% of people who do.

I just remember reading an article about the NC ID law and why those who were against it painted it as another way to prevent black people from voting. Many are too poor or too busy or don't have cars, etc.

I don't mind voter ID laws, but I think the paranoia of illegals voting is way overblown. I can't imagine most of them know enough English or about voting in general.

Good deal. We'll leave it there then.

Alright. I'll say one last thing and we'll drop it.

You're not a dumb guy, Dick, far from it actually. You have a lot to offer. Which is why when you make those kinds of broad statements earlier and shrug your shoulders at anything that doesn't affect you, it frustrates me a bit. I think your stubbornness holds you back.

Anyway, moving on.

I don't mind voter ID laws, but I think the paranoia of illegals voting is way overblown. I can't imagine most of them know enough English or about voting in general.

First of all, lol, that's racist as ****. Second of all, I would bet my bottom dollar that the amount of illegals voting in the elections under the current rules is greater than the amount of citizens unable to vote if an ID was required (and easily available and free beforehand). Third of all, you don't need to know English to recognize the letter "D" in front of every name and just hammer down the ballot checking those off.

Reactions: nctransplant
I just remember reading an article about the NC ID law and why those who were against it painted it as another way to prevent black people from voting. Many are too poor or too busy or don't have cars, etc.
Really? So those people don't have a job or a bank account? They have never bought alcohol or cigarettes? Don't have a mortgage or don't pay rent? All of those things require ID.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT