ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB's Political Thread . ..

Bernie voters won't vote for Biden. the DNC keeps rolling-out the same old crap. Joe Biden is just another ancient party fossil who is in the pocket of Raytheon, Northrop-Grumman and General Dynamics.

The DNC is addicted to this "Next Old Fart In Line" corporate-shill candidate strategy. Sanders supporters are fervent and stubborn.

I'm content to see Trump win by an even larger margin this time.
Let's not act like Bernie isn't getting any of their support. The defense industry, individuals in the DOD and military are giving him some support. He's no different than any other politician.

https://www.opensecrets.org/2020-presidential-race/industries?id=N00000528&src=t

Chris Matthews accidentally let it slip on live television. He basically said something along the lines of 'a lot of party leaders would rather just wait another four years and get someone in that they actually like." The DNC's financial backers would much rather lose with Biden than lose with Bernie.

FIFY

Reactions: tarheel0910
Bloomberg could make this thing really interesting. People think he's dropping out today and could potentially swing all of his support/money/team behind Biden. Apparently Bloomberg has this incredible data driven HQ with a ton of really smart people he hired away from Andrew Yang paid til November so he would throw them on to Biden since they are already committed to work.

If that happens, it's over for Castro Blanco.

Bloomberg could make this thing really interesting. People think he's dropping out today and could potentially swing all of his support/money/team behind Biden. Apparently Bloomberg has this incredible data driven HQ with a ton of really smart people he hired away from Andrew Yang paid til November so he would throw them on to Biden since they are already committed to work.

He claimed that he was going to stay until the end, but yesterday was definitely disappointing for him. I think his only chance was a brokered convention, but he's so far behind I don't think he would be a serious contender there unless Biden says he has some kind of health problem. The odds of that might be higher than some think though.

Top 3 winners of Super Tuesday:

1. Trump
2. Contested Convention
3. Biden

A plurality is good enough for Biden where it wouldn't be enough for Bernie because of the Super Delegates and everyone else wanting Biden and not Bernie.

I really hope Bloomberg and Warren don't drop out quite yet though. Keep grabbing enough delegates to get this thing contested! The voting public that has had to sit through this shitshow deserves to see the climactic final act! A bloodbath that will ultimately result in Biden getting sacrificed in the General.

Reddit's "political" subreddit r/politics (which should be called r/Bernie because they've completely muted any other opinions) is a fvcking goldmine today. Better than reading pack pride after a moo loss!

Top 3 winners of Super Tuesday:

1. Trump
2. Contested Convention
3. Biden

A plurality is good enough for Biden where it wouldn't be enough for Bernie because of the Super Delegates and everyone else wanting Biden and not Bernie.

I really hope Bloomberg and Warren don't drop out quite yet though. Keep grabbing enough delegates to get this thing contested! The voting public that has had to sit through this shitshow deserves to see the climactic final act! A bloodbath that will ultimately result in Biden getting sacrificed in the General.

Reddit's "political" subreddit r/politics (which should be called r/Bernie because they've completely muted any other opinions) is a fvcking goldmine today. Better than reading pack pride after a moo loss!

I think, despite those always correct polls @uncboy10 keeps referring to, that Biden + a female minority VP has the best chance to beat Trump.

Bernie would have been the easiest win for Trump because, as shown last night, Bernie isn't really a national candidate. He gets crunchy Bernie Bros in Vermont, Colorado, California, and Austin, TX but he can't win swing states or anything south of the Mason Dixon line. Plus, as we said above, outside of his base the other people that would support him are just way too small of the voting public (i.e. young people)

Biden losing California/Colorado/Vermont means nothing because they aren't going red in the national no matter what. The fact that he's won Minnesota, North Carolina, and Virginia and that he's ahead in Michigan, Florida, PA, OH over Sanders is huge for their chances at actually beating Trump.

I'd argue last night is the last thing Trump wanted to see. If the party and the party dollars rally around Biden it makes it real. The party didn't want Bernie.

Now don't act like people are getting stabbed and waiting 4 months for treatment. For urgent issues (cancer and such) times are usually measured in days. BUT. I have a friend who needed knee surgery. Not urgent but it was painful and an impact on her daily life. She had to wait quite a while to get surgery. I want to say on the order of 6-9 months.

My experience (YMMV) - I had a colon cancer scare this summer. It was low risk (slow growing) and all the tests showed no spread. All the testing was done in 2-3 weeks (CT/MRI/blood). Another scope ~3 weeks later showed no regrowth and a biopsy of the area a ~month later was clean. So roughly 3.5 months from "we found cancer" to "you have no cancer".

Would it have been faster in the US, IDK maybe someone here can speak to that.
Total out of pocket: ~$60-$90 (parking)
Insurance hassle: None - never once talked to my insurance company.

He's no where near life support thanks to how delegates are won. Current estimated delegate count:

660 for Biden
586 for Sanders
110 for Bloomberg
101 for Warren

Contested convention won super Tuesday.

Bern ain't winning a brokered convention. Hence, he's on life support.

Now don't act like people are getting stabbed and waiting 4 months for treatment. For urgent issues (cancer and such) times are usually measured in days. BUT. I have a friend who needed knee surgery. Not urgent but it was painful and an impact on her daily life. She had to wait quite a while to get surgery. I want to say on the order of 6-9 months.

My experience (YMMV) - I had a colon cancer scare this summer. It was low risk (slow growing) and all the tests showed no spread. All the testing was done in 2-3 weeks (CT/MRI/blood). Another scope ~3 weeks later showed no regrowth and a biopsy of the area a ~month later was clean. So roughly 3.5 months from "we found cancer" to "you have no cancer".

Insurance hassle: None - never once talked to my insurance company.

What is your income bracket and what is your total tax rate? (include all fed/province/moose protection fund, etc)

I can't speak to the exact same situation as you, but with cancer issues that I have knowledge of, it would have been a lot faster than that. Also, you didn't just spend $60-$90. You paid in taxes and treatment time. Treatment time is more valuable than anything when it comes to cancer.

Last edited:
Reactions: nctransplant
I think, despite those always correct polls @uncboy10 keeps referring to, that Biden + a female minority VP has the best chance to beat Trump.

Bernie would have been the easiest win for Trump because, as shown last night, Bernie isn't really a national candidate. He gets crunchy Bernie Bros in Vermont, Colorado, California, and Austin, TX but he can't win swing states or anything south of the Mason Dixon line. Plus, as we said above, outside of his base the other people that would support him are just way too small of the voting public (i.e. young people)

Biden losing California/Colorado/Vermont means nothing because they aren't going red in the national no matter what. The fact that he's won Minnesota, North Carolina, and Virginia and that he's ahead in Michigan, Florida, PA, OH over Sanders is huge for their chances at actually beating Trump.

I'd argue last night is the last thing Trump wanted to see. If the party and the party dollars rally around Biden it makes it real. The party didn't want Bernie.

That could be. Trump could still toss Haley on his ticket so that anyone voting purely by identity politics will get confused.

Biden pretty much takes away most of the points they'd try to hit Trump on. Biden is an older, whiter, creepier guy than Trump.

Hillary did very well in PA and OH in the primary, and was real close in Michigan in the primary, and still lost all of those to Trump in the general.

He claimed that he was going to stay until the end, but yesterday was definitely disappointing for him. I think his only chance was a brokered convention, but he's so far behind I don't think he would be a serious contender there unless Biden says he has some kind of health problem. The odds of that might be higher than some think though.
Bloomberg's out, throwing his support behind Biden

Bloomberg's out, throwing his support behind Biden

...and there you have it.

This is huge for Biden and I think actually gives the Dems a very outside chance in November.

I still think something actually needs to happen to Trump (market continue to tank, Corona turn into a national state of emergency, etc.) for him to lose but as I said above, Biden + Female minority VP under 50 + Bloomberg money/support = best chance for Dems.

...and there you have it.

This is huge for Biden and I think actually gives the Dems a very outside chance in November.

I still think something actually needs to happen to Trump (market continue to tank, Corona turn into a national state of emergency, etc.) for him to lose but as I said above, Biden + Female minority VP under 50 + Bloomberg money/support = best chance for Dems.
Bloomberg is going to keep his entire staff on the payroll to support the Democratic nominee.

Bloomberg is going to keep his entire staff on the payroll to support the Democratic nominee.

Yeah - he already guaranteed them jobs through November so he was paying them either way.

He hates Bernie so much that he's using his own money to make sure he doesn't get the nomination.

Yeah - he already guaranteed them jobs through November so he was paying them either way.

He hates Bernie so much that he's using his own money to make sure he doesn't get the nomination.
He hates Trump.....

It would never ever ever ever happen...but how crazy would it be if Biden picked Obama as his VP...

It would never ever ever ever happen...but how crazy would it be if Biden picked Obama as his VP...
That would be interesting. In that hypothetical, what would happen if Biden dies in office (which is a possibility given his age)? Does it just automatically follow the line of succession and skip Obama because of term limits or would Obama be allowed to pick a VP and then that person becomes president?

Dude? What are you, a 10 year old?

Perhaps your salty crusty ass prefers this

giphy.gif

That would be interesting. In that hypothetical, what would happen if Biden dies in office (which is a possibility given his age)? Does it just automatically follow the line of succession and skip Obama because of term limits or would Obama be allowed to pick a VP and then that person becomes president?

I have no idea and a quick read of the 22nd amendment says that it's actually a controversy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-second_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

It clearly says "elected to the office of President." In this case, he would not have been elected to the office.

Ya, and the 12th Amendment states that no one that is ineligible to be President can be elected as Vice President.

But the 22nd amendment doesn't make Obama ineligible to be President, just ineligible to be elected President.

Ultimately if it were to happen there would be a huge legal battle over the interpretation of those amendments. Personally, my no-legal-experience-whatsoever take on it would be that the loophole is valid, and that by the letter of the law, Obama could be VP and have Biden resign quickly and get Obama back in as President. Although I do think that is against the spirit of the law(s).

However, I think the SCOTUS would lean in the direction of ruling that it couldn't be done. Also, I could see it not really working in Biden's favor if a lot of the country thought that ticket was an attempt to circumvent the rules.

I would guess Obama would become POTUS
I have no idea and a quick read of the 22nd amendment says that it's actually a controversy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-second_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

It clearly says "elected to the office of President." In this case, he would not have been elected to the office.
Found this on Goggle so I don't know if the data is good:

Can a president run for vice president after 2 terms?
The Twenty-Second Amendment says a person can only be elected to be president two times for a total of eight years. It does make it possible for a person to serve up to ten years as president. This can happen if a person (most likely the Vice-President) takes over for a president who can no longer serve their term.

potentially looking at biden/harris vs trump/haley.

last night did biden yell out “it’s over for the demagogue” or “it’s over for the other guy”?

i feel bad for him...he’s being punchy and angry like early on-set dementia tends to reveal.

potentially looking at biden/harris vs trump/haley.

last night did biden yell out “it’s over for the demagogue” or “it’s over for the other guy”?

i feel bad for him...he’s being punchy and angry like early on-set dementia tends to reveal.
Do you think it's as bad as Trump's?

She'd work too.

That said - there's no way in hell he'd want to do it, she'd let him do it, or Biden would choose either of them. Just a fun thought.

oh i agree, but it’s interesting because my 16 year old’s ap govt class talked about michelle yesterday.

harris should be the pick, imo.

This is a really interesting hypothetical that you have come up with. If it didn't require someone dying, I would actually hope it happened just to see the results.

Ya, and the 12th Amendment states that no one that is ineligible to be President can be elected as Vice President.

But the 22nd amendment doesn't make Obama ineligible to be President, just ineligible to be elected President.

Ultimately if it were to happen there would be a huge legal battle over the interpretation of those amendments. Personally, my no-legal-experience-whatsoever take on it would be that the loophole is valid, and that by the letter of the law, Obama could be VP and have Biden resign quickly and get Obama back in as President. Although I do think that is against the spirit of the law(s).

However, I think the SCOTUS would lean in the direction of ruling that it couldn't be done. Also, I could see it not really working in Biden's favor if a lot of the country thought that ticket was an attempt to circumvent the rules.
But, does the 12th amendment come into play here? It obviously didn't take into account the future restrictions placed on the presidency by the 22nd amendment. I do agree with you that SCOTUS would probably rule that it couldn't be done, but as someone who enjoys following the supreme court, it would be a fun ride for me.

biden doesn’t include words to complete sentences...he’s a completely different person than just four years ago.
That bad lip reading video I posted of Biden a while back was funny, but it honestly sounded like it was something you could expect him to actually say. There is obviously something going on there and Trump would kill him in the debates.

Bernie voters won't vote for Biden.
Time for her to drop out, and prove she doesn't actually have a progressive bone in her body by endorsing Biden.
You two are perfect examples of why Democrats keep losing national elections. You're too busy having tantrums because the candidate you like isn't going to win. You're completely missing the point.

To paraphrase the internet meme, You Have One Job. That job is to defeat Trump in November. That's it. Policy differences don't matter. Personalities don't matter. None of it matters.

Talk junk about Republicans if you'd like. Despite their diminishing demographic and often repugnant policies, they know how to circle the wagons. Everyone on that side of the house gets in line because they know that's how they win. They don't waste their time and energy on inane posturing that fragments rather than consolidates their power.

I'm content to see Trump win by an even larger margin this time.
Or, you could quit acting like a pussy, show up at the polls, and vote for whoever has the best chance at defeating Trump. Will your ego let you do that? Or would you rather spend the next four years crying "Look how principled I am!" while bitching about the consequences of forfeiting your vote? There's no award for martyrs, you know.

You two are perfect examples of why Democrats keep losing national elections.
One of the biggest regrets of my entire LIFE was voting for a Democrat in 2016. A wasted vote, and a blow to my conscience that can never be removed.

To paraphrase the internet meme, You Have One Job. That job is to defeat Trump in November. That's it. Policy differences don't matter. Personalities don't matter. None of it matters.
I agree with you 100%. This place was bought-and-paid-for a long time ago! But, I can at least have some fun while I watch the circus.

Talk junk about Republicans if you'd like.
I will, thank you!

Or, you could quit acting like a pussy,
This ain't no act, sweetie!

Or would you rather spend the next four years crying "Look how principled I am!" while bitching about the consequences of forfeiting your vote? There's no award for martyrs, you know.
I won't be crying when my principles are intact. I'm not expecting any awards. But, I am impressed, dare I say... flattered..., by how much you care about me and what I do.

I simply said I won't vote for someone who gloats about incarcerating people for doing what she openly does (or has done). If that upsets you, that's your problem. I'm not voting for them.

And, I don't REALLY care if Americans choose Trump again. We don't elect the President anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT