ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB's Political Thread . ..

This is the direction in which liberals have ushered our society.

@Heelicious , have you gotten out yet? Might need to rethink your timeline.

They still trying to get medical pot legal here in NC. Un fuking believable. Anyone opposing this is most likely too stupid to live.
I'm not opposing something that is easily attainable anyway, just asking how has this country survived as long as it has without medical wink wink pot? Talk about your pressing issue...

I'm being sarcastic of course. It's just that our congresspersons already have their hands full throwing money away trillion dollar chunks at a time.

ETA; yeah I know you're talking local issue.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
Nice to see businesses show why fry cooks shouldn't be paid $15 a hour. At least it will (in theory) force people to get a better job. Just need to direct them to a trade school.

https://www.businessinsider.com/lab...oyment-productivity-job-market-outlook-2021-7
Lots of automation referenced. I can see a cnc style product to handle food prep. If i could purchase robots for my business, then i would. People in that particular field have little dreams of trade schools. I know a waitress who is a single mom with 2 teenage kids. She is completely burnt out due to lack of help where she works. I tried to talk her into taking a job with benifits and higher pay. She said no. She would lose her HUD and would have to pay taxes. Makes no sense to me.

Lots of automation referenced. I can see a cnc style product to handle food prep. If i could purchase robots for my business, then i would. People in that particular field have little dreams of trade schools. I know a waitress who is a single mom with 2 teenage kids. She is completely burnt out due to lack of help where she works. I tried to talk her into taking a job with benifits and higher pay. She said no. She would lose her HUD and would have to pay taxes. Makes no sense to me.
Unfortunately some people have to be given an incentive to better their situation. Maybe give some tax credits for job training and trade schools. If you can prove to them that they can have a better life, then they might take it.

Unfortunately some people have to be given an incentive to better their situation. Maybe give some tax credits for job training and trade schools. If you can prove to them that they can have a better life, then they might take it.
It becomes a slippery slope when she is more concerned with HUD than more pay, benefits, ect.
I see no reason why some of the same money avaliable for living like that cant be appropriated for life improvements as well. The other side of the coin is people are lazy. They dont have the motivation to better themselves. Folks like her would rather enjoy the system and live off tip money via cash.

It becomes a slippery slope when she is more concerned with HUD than more pay, benefits, ect.
I see no reason why some of the same money avaliable for living like that cant be appropriated for life improvements as well. The other side of the coin is people are lazy. They dont have the motivation to better themselves. Folks like her would rather enjoy the system and live off tip money via cash.
You're always going to have those types of people. I think there are plenty of people who want a better life and would be willing to take advantage of a trade school if you made it cheaper for them. I don't think the government is smart enough to figure that out though.

You're always going to have those types of people. I think there are plenty of people who want a better life and would be willing to take advantage of a trade school if you made it cheaper for them. I don't think the government is smart enough to figure that out though.
Wait, you saying low level peeps are smart enough to take advatage of programs like that, but upper level peeps arent smart enough to offer? Welcome to 'murica!!!!😛

Lots of automation referenced. I can see a cnc style product to handle food prep. If i could purchase robots for my business, then i would.

It doesn’t matter how cheap you make labor, automation is coming eventually. People need to start getting used to the idea that there won’t be anywhere near as many jobs as there are people.

It doesn’t matter how cheap you make labor, automation is coming eventually. People need to start getting used to the idea that there won’t be anywhere near as many jobs as there are people.
I fully understand that. As technology advances, so will less jobs. Its happened since man started developing new ways to do things. The idea is to get in a career that wont become obsolete so soon. Auto check out lines in stores, order FF by app or kiosk, robotic manufactoring and distribution. Even amazon is using drones to fly the isles to do invetory now. Sounds weird, but reducing the human factor simply reduces the human factor. Maybe my grandkids will send their droids to work for them.

I fully understand that. As technology advances, so will less jobs. Its happened since man started developing new ways to do things. The idea is to get in a career that wont become obsolete so soon. Auto check out lines in stores, order FF by app or kiosk, robotic manufactoring and distribution. Even amazon is using drones to fly the isles to do invetory now. Sounds weird, but reducing the human factor simply reduces the human factor. Maybe my grandkids will send their droids to work for them.

That's one possibility. But will the average person be able to afford to buy a labor robot to work for them? And why would a large company pay to rent somebody else's robot when they could just invest in their own robot workforce?

If we woke up in a world tomorrow where everything we need could be produced without the need for human labor, then it would be easy. The problem is that the jobs will slowly dry up, and the safety net will have to catch more and more people. And the people who haven't lost their jobs yet will continue to rail against anyone on unemployment or other gov't programs.

That's one possibility. But will the average person be able to afford to buy a labor robot to work for them? And why would a large company pay to rent somebody else's robot when they could just invest in their own robot workforce?

If we woke up in a world tomorrow where everything we need could be produced without the need for human labor, then it would be easy. The problem is that the jobs will slowly dry up, and the safety net will have to catch more and more people. And the people who haven't lost their jobs yet will continue to rail against anyone on unemployment or other gov't programs.
My problem is with those abusing those programs. Not those that need them.

My problem is with those abusing those programs. Not those that need them.

Which is perfectly fine, but there are plenty of people who would love to abolish them altogether. And the people abusing the system are the minority not the norm.

Wait, you don't actually think communism is effective do you?
I don't think "Communism" has ever existed. I think it would be impossible. I don't think "Capitalism"- in its truest, unadulterated form- actually exists now, or has ever existed. It's one of those things like... Christianity! It's never been a universally-understood/defined THING. People of different times, eras, and their unique motivations, all do something they believe is a form of it, and they just go with it.

Of course not. But free and fair elections will solve a lot more of Cuba's problems than Walmart will.
Agreed, but opening up the country can help them out significantly. Just look at what happened to China when it opened up some. If Cuba did something like that, then the economy would be significantly better and they could still oppress their people. It's a no lose situation for them. I think the current protest are about more than the economy though. Going to be interesting to see what happens. I'm also curious to see if we help them somehow.

Voodoo olympics?
Their president was assassinated and apparently the official version of what happened is sketchy. A lot of people were involved including a couple of people who had dual citizenship, American and Haitian. One was a former private contractor at a Canadian embassy. A few were former Columbian army. Going to be all kinds of conspiracy theories for this one.

Personally, I think the Cubans only put up with it because the Castros threw them enough bread and circus tricks. Not so much with basic necessities becoming scarce. Fidel at least had charisma. Without him though that regime is in trouble. About time too.
Hard for regimes to be overthrown these days without outside help.

Their president was assassinated and apparently the official version of what happened is sketchy. A lot of people were involved including a couple of people who had dual citizenship, American and Haitian. One was a former private contractor at a Canadian embassy. A few were former Columbian army. Going to be all kinds of conspiracy theories for this one.
Is that all???

What can they be unhappy about? With communism can't you just get unlimited Cuban sandwiches, cigars and cuba-libre's?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT