ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB's Political Thread . ..

By the way, @uncfootball, Jaybron Harvey, a four-star DE from Southern Durham H.S., just announced his commitment to Carolina. He's one of three prospective recruits announcing today. Thought you might like to know, being such a big fan and all.

Great pickup for the Heels.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say a lock but no doubt a 1 or a 2 IMO.

If aliens came to Earth and wanted to see our best literature, I'm immediately giving them a copy Crime and Punishment. It's the greatest novel of all time.

Just have to hope they don't think we're all a bunch of axe murdering psychos.

If aliens came to Earth and wanted to see our best literature, I'm immediately giving them a copy Crime and Punishment. It's the greatest novel of all time.

Just have to hope they don't think we're all a bunch of axe murdering psychos.
I would hand them a copy of Look Homeward, Angel and hope they don’t think we’re all a bunch of mountain grills.

It's kinda funny, I live in Asheville and still haven't gotten around to reading any of Wolfe's stuff.
Don’t fret. You still have it to look forward to. I prefer his first two novels, Look Homeward, Angel and Of Time and the River (when Maxwell Perkins was his editor) over his last two, both of which were published posthumously.

Have you seen the movie Genuis, with Colin Firth and Jude Law?

Don’t fret. You still have it to look forward to. I prefer his first two novels, Look Homeward, Angel and Of Time and the River (when Maxwell Perkins was his editor) over his last two, both of which were published posthumously.

Have you seen the movie Genuis, with Colin Firth and Jude Law?

Negative. Big fan of Jude Law though so I may have to check it out

I know the question was directed at uncboy10, but between the two I think he did a better job portraying Inman in Cold Mountain than Thomas Wolfe in Genius.
W.P. Inman

It had an incredible vision of The Crater, at Petersburg.

That film and The Free State of Jones are two of the best Civil War films from a perspective of how the Southern population- the average people- were maligned by the CSA machinations. The Confederacy was mired in disgusting hypocrisy and oppressive as hell. The Confederacy deserved to lose like few "nations" ever deserved.

That film and The Free State of Jones are two of the best Civil War films from a perspective of how the Southern population- the average people- were maligned by the CSA machinations. The Confederacy was mired in disgusting hypocrisy and oppressive as hell. The Confederacy deserved to lose like few "nations" ever deserved.
I think I could down a few beers sitting and listening to you embellish on this, strum. For instance, what machinations do you mean? Related to king cotton or the institution of slavery, perhaps? Political machinations?

I think I could down a few beers sitting and listening to you embellish on this, strum. For instance, what machinations do you mean? Related to king cotton or the institution of slavery, perhaps? Political machinations?
Are you familiar with the story of the free state of jones, that happened in Southern Mississippi during the civil war?

Actually, I had never heard of it before you mentioned it.
Cold mountain is a fictional account. The free state of Jones is based on absolutely true events. It was in Jones county mississippi. That film should be mandatory for American history classes.

The Western Carolinas, Asheville area, and Eastern Tennessee, Western Virginia, which became West Virginia, we're All pro Union areas of the South during the civil War. And especially before it, they didn't want to secede. There were lots of cells in all the states, that did not want to secede from the union.

The Confederacy was hardly about states rights, or individual rights, or anything of the sort, in the context of the way it ran its own government once it became a country. The southern Confederacy was about the perpetuation of the aristocracy of the planter class. It was a retarded, antiquated, obsolete, destined for failure, version of the United States. The Confederate army stole immeasurable from the average Confederate citizen all through the war... they would call it requisitioned. But they would never touch the property of wealthy, planter class. Those people were even exempt from military service, etc. That doesn't mean that none of them fought, it just means that under the conscription, if you had 20 slaves or more you had you didn't have to serve.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
I've never read The Bonfire of the Vanities but I trust the book was a whole lot better than the movie.
the book is almost always a whole lot better than the movie, and I have read a great many books before they became movies, fortunately. But I didn't read Bonfire of the Vanities either and I agree the movie was so-so.. The Right Stuff and Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test are two that I've read. Both enjoyable.

Cold mountain is a fictional account. The free state of Jones is based on absolutely true events. It was in Jones county mississippi. That film should be mandatory for American history classes.

The Western Carolinas, Asheville area, and Eastern Tennessee, Western Virginia, which became West Virginia, we're All pro Union areas of the South during the civil War. And especially before it, they didn't want to secede. There were lots of cells in all the states, that did not want to secede from the union.

The Confederacy was hardly about states rights, or individual rights, or anything of the sort, in the context of the way it ran its own government once it became a country. The southern Confederacy was about the perpetuation of the aristocracy of the planter class. It was a retarded, antiquated, obsolete, destined for failure, version of the United States. The Confederate army stole immeasurable from the average Confederate citizen all through the war... they would call it requisitioned. But they would never touch the property of wealthy, planter class. Those people were even exempt from military service, etc. That doesn't mean that none of them fought, it just means that under the conscription, if you had 20 slaves or more you had you didn't have to serve.

I knew about pockets of western North Carolina whose populations were pro-Union, and I cringe when someone tries to make the argument that the war was all about states' rights.

As for Cold Mountain, I was thinking Inman was actually based on one of Charles Frazier's early ancestors.

ETA:
Charles Frazier insists that his Inman was a fictional character. But he concedes that family stories about his great-great-grandfather and his ancestor’s brothers inspired the novel.

Last edited:
Reactions: strummingram
I knew about pockets of western North Carolina whose populations were pro-Union, and I cringe when someone tries to make the argument that the war was all about states' rights.

As for Cold Mountain, I was thinking Inman was actually based on one of Charles Frazier's early ancestors.

ETA:
Charles Frazier insists that his Inman was a fictional character. But he concedes that family stories about his great-great-grandfather and his ancestor’s brothers inspired the novel.
Ahhh...cool. I never knew that. But that film is awesome, in much like the free state of Jones, the way that it depicts the tribulations of average citizens in a war zone. And that war, in the mid 19th century, would be like apocalypse for us. It was unprecedented. The scars of that will never go away.

not again with the psychotic virtue-signalling.

A documentary about the Civil War ran recently on PBS. You're familiar with PBS, the liberal- leaning public television entity, I assume. Liberal as in they don't push non-liberal programming. It wasn't Ken Burns' excellent doc., but it was a shorter, unsentimental depiction mostly of the field operations on both sides. Single short scenes were used to illustrate the more outstanding characteristics.

I thought about you and wanted you to see one part. At Fredericksburg, word had drifted down of Lincoln's plans to 'emancipate' the slaves (before the EP was made), and UNION soldiers were packing up their shit and heading home, saying in obvious disgust "I didn't sign up to fight to free slaves, I signed up to PRESERVE THE UNION like we were told we were to be fighting for".

You have some weird compulsion to hyper-demonize that which speaks for itself, for what it was; and what it was, was the dwindling stages of an ancient and long-accepted institution and the now-antiquated mindset of a ruling class and nothing more. Were you raped by a plantation owner or something? Do you not understand that in the North, one could buy his way out of service? Not under the table, but on the table. It took money to do that, just like it took money in the South to do the same. It was just a different time for North and South, not a different universe for each.

And when you mention this, you said a mouthful...."And especially before it, they didn't want to secede", speaking of those who didn't want to leave the Union, that is UNTIL THE WAR BEGAN, at which time those who were not for seccession were suddenly for protecting their homelands. The rank and file of the Confederate Army was not fighting to save the institution of slavery, they were fighting to defend their homes.

Those pockets that wanted to remain loyal to the Union mainly wanted simply to remain with the Union. In North Carolina, as you point out and as I have amply read, there was probably more anti-secession sentiment than there was secessionist sentiment. And as you rightly point out, however, the legislative power was in the hands of those vested interests....yet NC didn't vote to secede until after the incident at Fort Sumter, when it became a matter of North against South.

The war was started by the North to preserve the Union, and Southerners fought by and large to defend their homeland and the right as sovereign states to secede and self-determine......not to preserve the institution of slavery. The reasons for secession is another story.

I enjoy a good factual documentary. Dramas too. One or the other though, getting the two mixed up is for drama queens who too readily mix fact with emotion. I don't like having to decide which parts to take seriously.

• Haha
Reactions: strummingram

A documentary about the Civil War ran recently on PBS. You're familiar with PBS, the liberal- leaning public television entity, I assume. Liberal as in they don't push non-liberal programming. It wasn't Ken Burns' excellent doc., but it was a shorter, unsentimental depiction mostly of the field operations on both sides. Single short scenes were used to illustrate the more outstanding characteristics.

I thought about you and wanted you to see one part. At Fredericksburg, word had drifted down of Lincoln's plans to 'emancipate' the slaves (before the EP was made), and UNION soldiers were packing up their shit and heading home, saying in obvious disgust "I didn't sign up to fight to free slaves, I signed up to PRESERVE THE UNION like we were told we were to be fighting for".

You have some weird compulsion to hyper-demonize that which speaks for itself, for what it was; and what it was, was the dwindling stages of an ancient and long-accepted institution and the now-antiquated mindset of a ruling class and nothing more. Were you raped by a plantation owner or something? Do you not understand that in the North, one could buy his way out of service? Not under the table, but on the table. It took money to do that, just like it took money in the South to do the same. It was just a different time for North and South, not a different universe for each.

And when you mention this, you said a mouthful...."And especially before it, they didn't want to secede", speaking of those who didn't want to leave the Union, that is UNTIL THE WAR BEGAN, at which time those who were not for seccession were suddenly for protecting their homelands. The rank and file of the Confederate Army was not fighting to save the institution of slavery, they were fighting to defend their homes.

Those pockets that wanted to remain loyal to the Union mainly wanted simply to remain with the Union. In North Carolina, as you point out and as I have amply read, there was probably more anti-secession sentiment than there was secessionist sentiment. And as you rightly point out, however, the legislative power was in the hands of those vested interests....yet NC didn't vote to secede until after the incident at Fort Sumter, when it became a matter of North against South.

The war was started by the North to preserve the Union, and Southerners fought by and large to defend their homeland and the right as sovereign states to secede and self-determine......not to preserve the institution of slavery. The reasons for secession is another story.

I enjoy a good factual documentary. Dramas too. One or the other though, getting the two mixed up is for drama queens who too readily mix fact with emotion. I don't like having to decide which parts to take seriously.
Is there a longer version of this?

This is what I was talking about. He says nothing…

there are a great many longer versions. You should read some of them.
First off:

Fredericksburg was in December of 1862. The preliminary Emancipation Proclamation had already been sent/issued after the Battle of Antietam, the previous September 22nd. It was actually written well before Antietam. So, there was no rumor or "word" spreading at Fredericksburg that the Emancipation Proclamation had "been made." It was already set to take place January 1st 1863, which it did, only a few weeks after Fredericksburg ended.

The Battle of Fredericksburg showed some of the most stalwart Union infantry participation of the entire war. Union infantry charging Marye's Heights over and over and over, and getting decimated is a testament to their conviction. Fredericksburg was a hellacious Union loss and decisive CSA victory. But, no one "packed up their shit and left" before or during the battle. They packed up and left after Burnside gave orders to retreat and took his Army of the Potomac back across the Rappahannock River.

Desertion usually cost you your life, in either army. The United States soldiers obviously stayed and won the war and knew they were freeing the slaves. They embraced it. The United States ultimately fought to free the slaves and the South was always fighting to maintain, perpetuate and spread chattel slavery. It's in all the ordinances of secession of each state. I'm just glad your country lost the war.

I know you're a fan of sedition and those who attempt sedition against the United States. I always expect you to defend it.

First off:

Fredericksburg was in December of 1862. The preliminary Emancipation Proclamation had already been sent/issued after the Battle of Antietam, the previous September 22nd. It was actually written well before Antietam. So, there was no rumor or "word" spreading at Fredericksburg that the Emancipation Proclamation had "been made." It was already set to take place January 1st 1863, which it did, only a few weeks after Fredericksburg ended.

The Battle of Fredericksburg showed some of the most stalwart Union infantry participation of the entire war. Union infantry charging Marye's Heights over and over and over, and getting decimated is a testament to their conviction. Fredericksburg was a hellacious Union loss and decisive CSA victory. But, no one "packed up their shit and left" before or during the battle. They packed up and left after Burnside gave orders to retreat and took his Army of the Potomac back across the Rappahannock River.

Desertion usually cost you your life, in either army. The United States soldiers obviously stayed and won the war and knew they were freeing the slaves. They embraced it. The United States ultimately fought to free the slaves and the South was always fighting to maintain, perpetuate and spread chattel slavery. It's in all the ordinances of secession of each state. I'm just glad your country lost the war.

I know you're a fan of sedition and those who attempt sedition against the United States. I always expect you to defend it.
first of all, the first one was just a threat issued toward the Confederate States.

Second of all, you need to learn to read. I said 'before it had been made' referring to the EP itself, and what I'm describing was just before it was to be made. So yes, rumors of that were making their way into the field. And yeah I'm sorry I didn't pack in enough detail for you to tl;dr over or nitpick irrelevantly, but those packing up and leaving were sneaking away. And the point not only remains but is reinforced by underlining how strong the feelings of resentment must have been for them to risk being shot.

The main battle had not yet taken place, BTW. This was when Union troops were just finding a way across the river. How stalwart the Union troops were is neither here nor there but thanks for the color commentary apropos of nothing.

You simply are too emotionally overwrought to ever admit what is plainly there to see. The war was fought because sovereign states elected to disengage with the U.S.A., and Lincoln did not want to allow that. The Constitution was plainly based on the sovereignty of those States, and being sovereign, it was not seditious for them to exercize self-determination. Legislation counter to that was only enacted after the secession movement was begun.

Do I like sedition? I like the free to remain free of unconstitutional interference if that's what you mean by sedition. I like the right of self-determination. I am not for slavery and I never voted to or fought to maintain that institution. You are pathologically compelled to virtue-signal, and to virtue signal you have to create demons to virtue-signal about. In order to create your demons, you have to ignore the facts.

As I said, reasons for secession is one thing, the reasons the war was fought are entirely another; and you can't stick your head in the sand deep enough to change that. You especially can't get past your own words, "it's in all the ordinances of secession of each state" No where in those articles of secession does it say 'we will go to war for slavery' You argue reasons for the war out of one side of your mouth, then spout reasons for secession out of the other and hope everyone conflates the two. Most uninformed people do just that. I refuse to be among the uninformed, sorry if you don't like it.

Reactions: randman1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT