ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Where should I go on my next vacation?

Where should RH go on vacation? (Please read below)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Put me down for 2. Acadia and 3. Chattanooga
You know what? I'm going to edit the poll settings so people can change their votes. I just ask that everyone who has already placed votes honor the process and not change them. I'll be tracking the votes manually in case of any shenanigans.

Last edited:
This is kinda tricky given your timing. The two places jumping at me were Acadia and Olympic National park both have stunning scenery (rugged coastlines, beautiful forests, peaks with views, great hiking). But both could be a little chilly early April if you are camping. And I hear Acadia can actually be a bit buggy in parts of May.

These options are all so different too. Are you looking for solitude and physical activity (like your early spring national parks or canoe trips)? Or civilized activities like boozing on the kentucky bourbon trail or taking in spring baseball games? Or do you just wanna park you butt and relax (outer banks).

Olympic is really close to Seattle if you wanted to combo you trip with city+nature.

Lastly, the So Cal thing is random in terms of what you're doing and logistics. Joshua Tree and Channel Islands are really far apart and each in opposite directions from LAX. 4 drive plus long ferry. Totally doable and fun with a stop thru southern wine country (Temecula) or some palm springs golf, just not sure what your overall draw is.

If you're okay with 4 hr drives, how bout San Fran + Yosemite (waterfalls there would be insane this yr in May)

Reactions: Raising Heel
^oh yeah, my primary reason for not voting yet - how long are you talking? Long weekend or two weeks or what?

This is kinda tricky given your timing. The two places jumping at me were Acadia and Olympic National park both have stunning scenery (rugged coastlines, beautiful forests, peaks with views, great hiking). But both could be a little chilly early April if you are camping. And I hear Acadia can actually be a bit buggy in parts of May.

These options are all so different too. Are you looking for solitude and physical activity (like your early spring national parks or canoe trips)? Or civilized activities like boozing on the kentucky bourbon trail or taking in spring baseball games? Or do you just wanna park you butt and relax (outer banks).

Olympic is really close to Seattle if you wanted to combo you trip with city+nature.

Lastly, the So Cal thing is random in terms of what you're doing and logistics. Joshua Tree and Channel Islands are really far apart and each in opposite directions from LAX. 4 drive plus long ferry. Totally doable and fun with a stop thru southern wine country (Temecula) or some palm springs golf, just not sure what your overall draw is.

If you're okay with 4 hr drives, how bout San Fran + Yosemite (waterfalls there would be insane this yr in May)

Just be aware that the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoia is closed untIl the Fall for restoration. I was in Yosemite in 2014 and it is a great park. And, like he said, waterfalls would be up in May with the snowmelt.

You probably didn't read through the thread linked in the OP (don't blame you), but my favorite vacations are ones with a mix of solitude and "civilized activities" as you call it. But forced to choose between the two, I would take solitude. I live in a large city (Charlotte) and enjoy getting away from all the hubbub.

Every one of these choices is a winner IMO. I have friends and family near several of them, so that's just a bonus. For example, I lived in Tacoma for 4 years so am very familiar with the area plus have friends there as well.

I'm looking at at least a week, possibly longer. Confession: the original suggestion for southern California was Catalina and the Channel Islands. I added Joshua Tree because it's one of my favorite places on earth, which is a little odd considering how much I like greenery. I like scrambling on the rocks, the unique scenery, and there's just something almost sacred about the place. I've actually been to San Francisco and Yosemite multiple times, and it wasn't among the original suggestions, so I'm okay with that being left off the list.

Thanks for the thoughtful response, btw. Much appreciated. Now get out there and vote!

OK RH, it's time to make up your mind so we can start doing research on the area.....

Well it's official. I'm going to Sanibel Island! Thanks to everyone who voted.

I was excited and a little surprised to see this choice lead throughout the voting. I'm not usually a "lounge at the beach" vacationer, but I'm going to embrace the opportunity to truly relax. I'll still get to do some kayaking and biking on the island which is cool. Also a short drive away from the Fort Myers/Cape Coral area so I've already started looking at some in-town attractions as well. Plus I have family in central Florida that I'll get to visit on the way down. That includes my stepmother, who is approaching 70 and has trouble with certain projects around the house. I'll probably spend a couple days helping her out.

Thanks again, everyone. Time to start making plans!

Say hi to Doc Ford.
For some reason I took this a reference to Henry Ford's winter estate, which is adjacent to Thomas Alva Edison's in Fort Myers. The two were very good fiends and their estates are now a tourist attraction (something I learned researching the area). But then I realized he wasn't a doctor.

These books any good? Would it be too on the nose to read "Sanibel Island" while on vacation there, like wearing the t-shirt of the band you're going to see?

Cape Coral
tumblr_n91321QX3Q1s8s0uvo1_500.gif

For some reason I took this a reference to Henry Ford's winter estate, which is adjacent to Thomas Alva Edison's in Fort Myers. The two were very good fiends and their estates are now a tourist attraction (something I learned researching the area). But then I realized he wasn't a doctor.

These books any good? Would it be too on the nose to read "Sanibel Island" while on vacation there, like wearing the t-shirt of the band you're going to see?

Isn't Doc Ford's a restaurant/bar on the waterfront at Fort Myers Beach? Also, I visited the Edison and Ford Estates several years ago and that was pretty cool.

Yup, also with locations on Sanibel Island and Captiva Island. Founded by the author (Randy White) who created the character of Doc Ford: https://www.docfords.com/our-story/

I can't wait to eat some fresh seafood!
A couple of places you may want to check out are The Mucky Duck and The Bubble Room in the Sanibel/Captiva area. The Mucky Duck is kind of an Irish pub on the beach that's kind of different. The Bubble Room is a wacky place that can't be described but has these enormous slices of cake that are pretty famous/delicious. An out of the way bar in Fort Myers beach where we had a great time is Bonita Bill's.

A couple of places you may want to check out are The Mucky Duck and The Bubble Room in the Sanibel/Captiva area. The Mucky Duck is kind of an Irish pub on the beach that's kind of different. The Bubble Room is a wacky place that can't be described but has these enormous slices of cake that are pretty famous/delicious. An out of the way bar in Fort Myers beach where we had a great time is Bonita Bill's.
I had already stumbled upon The Mucky Duck (yes!) but the other two spots look great as well. Just looking at the pictures reminds me it's been forever since I've hung out at the beach. Open air restaurants, cocktails, seafood...I think my goal might be to spend more money on food and drink than lodging for this trip. :cool:

Reactions: grillheel
So I'm staying across the street from a little place that has been on Sanibel Island for over 30 years. It was originally opened by a Cuban couple who sold meat and cheese by the pound. Now it has more of a restaurant/deli vibe.

I'll be starting with their Cuban sandwich followed by a side of Cuban black beans and saffron rice topped with spicy Gulf shrimp.

636147084409466097-IMG-6575.JPG

636147087127644945-IMG-6571.JPG

So I'm staying across the street from a little place that has been on Sanibel Island for over 30 years. It was originally opened by a Cuban couple who sold meat and cheese by the pound. Now it has more of a restaurant/deli vibe.

I'll be starting with their Cuban sandwich followed by a side of Cuban black beans and saffron rice topped with spicy Gulf shrimp.

636147084409466097-IMG-6575.JPG

636147087127644945-IMG-6571.JPG
Love a good Cuban sammich!

Man-boobs (moobs) capital of the world
Or maybe it's just Sanibel Island. Seriously, I have never seen so much saggy man-tit in my life. It's one thing if you're at the beach. That's fine. But we got flapjacks out here riding bikes and driving around in sedans like they're 30 years younger than they actually are. I'm trying to eat lunch and some dude with furniture disease* just hops out of his car and strolls into the upscale clothing store next door like it's no big deal. No, dude. Just no. Put on a shirt.

* When your chest has dropped into your drawers

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT