ADVERTISEMENT

Portal Impact on Coaching?

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
Obviously the portal has a huge impact on recruiting, roster building, and player retention. Mostly good, I think, but some bad.

But what about the impact on coaching, especially the teaching side of coaching?

Think of a guy like Cormac Ryan. By all accounts a good basketball IQ. One year being coached by Jerrod Haase, 3 more by Mike Brey.

If I'm Hubert, I'm picking Ryan's brain for coaching differences, drills, and whatnot - and adapting anything that sounds good.

If I can get guys in the portal from a really good program, and if they are guys who seem to have learned well from their prior coach, that's a plus.

Relevance? Well, we wouldn't mind some extra help in the front court to back up Armando. But we don't have much PT to offer, so a top notch center isn't in the cards. But what if we could find a merely decent player who wouldn't mind limited minutes at Carolina, and he was also coached by a really good coach? We could get a backup, and maybe learn something of value on the coaching side, too.

Just spitballing, but suppose we could pick up a backup center from Syracuse - someone with 3 or 4 years of experience playing Boeheim's zone. Obviously we can study the tapes to see that zone being played. But with that player on the squad, we could learn how it was taught in practices.

Or suppose you could get a decent backup center from Iona, and learn about how Pitino runs his practices.

The portal isn't just a way to poach players, it could also be a way to poach ideas.

Last edited:
Remember the days when coaches wanted OUR players to learn about the Carolina way, not the other way around? 😞
I wonder which of our departed players learned the Carolina Way well enough to help their next coach?

Imagine if the portal had been around back then and some team got Marcus Paige. Or Bobby Frasor. Or some other bright player who paid attention to how he was being trained and how to run practices.

If I'm a young head coach, players like that would be gold.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
There is only one place you can learn the Carolina Way! There are many imitators but no duplicators. We are special and just because the times have changed doesn't mean we have to lose our fundamental mores!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT