ADVERTISEMENT

Quick stuff (Clemson game)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and that's a little more like it.

- OK, sure -- making shots cures a lot, especially 15 3s (!!!) But... the real tangible improvement was in SHOT-SELECTION. That's particularly encouraging, since much of it came in half-court offense that was not set plays. If this team is to make a move in the right direction, that is a good place to start.

- Subtly, our base 20 defense was very solid today for the most part. Leaky and others were expecially effective on their scoring leader.

- Going back to a previous observsation, we are better with Puff at the 4. I did like the early use of the bench (although I expected to see Nickel before garbage time). Dunn played very well with 3 dimes and 0 TOs, and hopefully knocking down some shots restored his confidence.

- In general, we shared (and took care of) the ball better --- 17 Assists / 7 TOs --- but there are still places in which we are missing obvious passes. RJ demurred on two EASY passes and instead forced shots, but generally the pass looks were being taken advantage of.

- we didn't get as many transition ops as I would like, but when we did we generally executed nicely.

- we used some interesting big lineups effectively, especially with Bacot and Washington together.

Finally, one last thing about shot-selection --- Not all quick-trigger 3s are bad shots --- it comes down to time and situation. In other words, basketabll. IQ, which hasn't exactly been this team's strength. We looked a bit smarter today. Caleb's decisions in particular were much better than usual.

Oh... couple more things:
1. Credit where it's due --- TV Teddy and company called a very solid game (very much unlike what we've seen in the previous two), and anyone who doesn't get how much difference that makes?, Welp... you go with that...

and...

2. Hopefully this post will go up without someone pulling another douche-move. All I can say about that is, get your own thread title.

Anyway, it's good to see order restored when Clemmy comes to Chapel Hill. Hopefully the positives I saw wll carry over as we move forward in a critical month... :cool:

- we used some interesting big lineups effectively, especially with Bacot and Washington together.
Our offense was downright terrible when Bacot and Washington were on the floor together. Poor spacing, and the guards kept running into the bigs.

- OK, sure -- making shots cures a lot, especially 15 3s (!!!) But... the real tangible improvement was in SHOT-SELECTION. That's particularly encouraging, since much of it came in half-court offense that was not set plays. If this team is to make a move in the right direction, that is a good place to start.

- Subtly, our base 20 defense was very solid today for the most part. Leaky and others were expecially effective on their scoring leader.

- Going back to a previous observsation, we are better with Puff at the 4. I did like the early use of the bench (although I expected to see Nickel before garbage time). Dunn played very well with 3 dimes and 0 TOs, and hopefully knocking down some shots restored his confidence.

- In general, we shared (and took care of) the ball better --- 17 Assists / 7 TOs --- but there are still places in which we are missing obvious passes. RJ demurred on two EASY passes and instead forced shots, but generally the pass looks were being taken advantage of.

- we didn't get as many transition ops as I would like, but when we did we generally executed nicely.

Finally, one last thing about shot-selection --- Not all quick-trigger 3s are bad shots --- it comes down to time and situation. In other words, basketabll. IQ, which hasn't exactly been this team's strength. We looked a bit smarter today. Caleb's decisions in particular were much better than usual.

1. Credit where it's due --- TV Teddy and company called a very solid game (very much unlike what we've seen in the previous two), and anyone who doesn't get how much difference that makes?, Welp... you go with that...

and...

2. Hopefully this post will go up without someone pulling another douche-move. All I can say about that is, get your own thread title.

Anyway, it's good to see order restored when Clemmy comes to Chapel Hill. Hopefully the positives I saw wll carry over as we move forward in a critical month... :cool:
My apologies for being said douche. Was slightly emotional after Wake.

Except when they gave Love a charge to prevent PJ Hall from picking up his 4th foul.

They also called a block on Nickel late that was clearly a charge.

Reactions: alabamaheel
That was indeed a miss, but overall it was quite solid.
Might be one of the worst charges I've ever seen, behind the 2 charges on Dexter Strickland of course.

PJ Hall is sideways and still moving. The ref that called that a charge should be fired.

Shot better, which always helps. Rebounded well, as expected. And Clemson is being found out. Real easy schedule out of the box. Had every game that might have been the slightest bit difficult at home. That they were in first that long really shows how mediocre the league overall has become. Figured once they had to play some decent teams, especially on the road, they would fall. But UNC played better than they have, so after some efforts this year, I will take it.

Might be one of the worst charges I've ever seen, behind the 2 charges on Dexter Strickland of course.

PJ Hall is sideways and still moving. The ref that called that a charge should be fired.
Again, it was absolutely a bad missed call, but c'mon... let's have some perspective here: After the blatant hose-jobs of late, this overall zebra effort was downright refreshing.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
First, I would like to send a big shout out to Gary for his post game analysis after Carolina‘s games .

I really look forward to reading your post game analysis. So once again, thank you for taking the time to post these things I’m sure a lot of people really enjoy reading what you post Also.

I’ve got a question. I can’t wrap my head around the fact T Nick doesn’t play more. Do you have any insight on what the reasoning may be? I would definitely hate to lose him to the portal, but it looks like if I were him I would be gone. Keep up the good work.
Go Heels!

Reactions: 2DDIMOND and gary-7
First, I would like to send a big shout out to Gary for his post game analysis after Carolina‘s games .

I really look forward to reading your post game analysis. So once again, thank you for taking the time to post these things I’m sure a lot of people really enjoy reading what you post Also.

I’ve got a question. I can’t wrap my head around the fact T Nick doesn’t play more. Do you have any insight on what the reasoning may be? I would definitely hate to lose him to the portal, but it looks like if I were him I would be gone. Keep up the good work.
Go Heels!
Thanks for the kind words. As for Nickel, from what I had seen and heard, I Iully expected him to play more today.

NOT to go off topic here but, I don't think we have had a game COMPLETELY TAKEN AWAY from us, like Dook did today lol. The definition of losing a game on one call.
Great post Gary, I think Caleb Love was wonderful today and it all started with his effort and defense.
Also this team celebrated with each other today, rather than looking to the crowd or the opposition when making a play.
Us against the World hopefully started today.

Last edited:
Reactions: TPFKAPFS and gary-7
NOT to go off topic here but, I don't think we have had a game COMPLETELY TAKEN AWAY from us, like Dook did today lol. The definition on losing a game on one call.
Great post Gary, I think Caleb Love was wonderful todsy and it all started with his effort and defense.
Also this team celebrated with each other today, rather than looking to the crowd or the opposition when making a play.
Us against the World hopefully started today.
Dook got hosed!

Quick thoughts..
Games always go better when the ball goes in from outside because it opens up the interior.
Much better movement with both hands and feet on the defensive side.
There were still some offensive spacing issues especially with Bacot running out to the 3 line and just getting in the way. Not sure why he needs to be that far out for any reason ??????
For the 19th time wtf .. or why the f is nance given the time he's given .. he is slow of foot and not all that as a shooter. If he were a used car (which he is) I would go back to the dealership and get my $ back. Puff has a much better shot and appears to be much quicker on the defensive side and is quickly becoming one of my favs on both sides of the ball. And I realize Puff and others have had injury issues.
Also GREAT to see UNC pushing tempo and at least giving it a shot at working inside out bball.

Sad thing is the same core 4 has been here since the beginning and it took 'em till now to actually show something resembling effort and urgency.

Still a lot of work to be done but this was a good win. My only question is will the focus, intensity and effort continue? There is no more room for error !

Reactions: Archer2
NOT to go off topic here but, I don't think we have had a game COMPLETELY TAKEN AWAY from us, like Dook did today lol. The definition on losing a game on one call.
Well, look at it this way --- you can lose it on one bad call (as dook did today), or lose it on a cumilative 40 minutes of badbess when ya never get in the bonus despite getting hammered over and over, like um... us at dook.

Somehow, I don't feel sorry for them... ;)

Puff needs to start. I have been saying Nickel for the longest time but Puff has more experience and can help on rebounding more. Puff is a better scorer than Nance and will help spread the floor more. Nance needs to come off bench along with Dunn, Trimble, and Washington. Those 9 players are the only ones that should see the court until mop up minutes.

Reactions: Heelicious
Well, look at it this way --- you can lose it on one bad call (as dook did today), or lose it on a cumilative 40 minutes of badbess when ya never get in the bonus despite getting hammered over and over, like um... us at dook.

Somehow, I don't feel sorry for them... ;)
TRUTH. In what universe does Carolina play dook and not shoot a second half free throw?
Eff ‘em and their former (and present) coach. Their loss and our win makes me smile. 😎
GDTBATH

Last edited:
We fought over screens today better than any game I have seen since prob December… indicative of our defensive effort for most of the game.

Our shots were in rhythm

Caleb is shooting a good percentage in February which is encouraging

More pointing at the passer tonight than in the rest of the season

RJ’s injurys affect his shooting, clearly he was feeling better tonight.
1 Complaint/Rant: RJ’s entry passing, or lack there of, maybe the worst I have ever seen from a point guard. I lost track of how many times he would fake several times and never throw it in to Bacot… even with his man pinned, Bacot presenting a good target — Fake a pass, Fake a pass, send it away… I am on my chair screaming PASS IT IN.

and...

Thanks for the summary Gary.

We fought over screens today better than any game I have seen since prob December… indicative of our defensive effort for most of the game.

Our shots were in rhythm

Caleb is shooting a good percentage in February which is encouraging

More pointing at the passer tonight than in the rest of the season

RJ’s injurys affect his shooting, clearly he was feeling better tonight.
1 Complaint/Rant: RJ’s entry passing, or lack there of, maybe the worst I have ever seen from a point guard. I lost track of how many times he would fake several times and never throw it in to Bacot… even with his man pinned, Bacot presenting a good target — Fake a pass, Fake a pass, send it away… I am on my chair screaming PASS IT IN.
Leaky is just as guilty here, I commented in another thread about the open post entry or cutters he is missing.

OK, so lets get real for a minute, this was a good game for us, it was a step in the right direction, a very needed step. But this isn't the first time we have come from total embarrassment to taking a step in the right direction this season. But we failed to build on that initial step the first time this season and watched as things sank to an even lower place. Is it different this time, I mean guys can say they have no choice, that their backs are against the wall but this is the very same team that began this season as pre-season #1 in the country and fell from #1 to out of the polls quicker than any team ever, same team that after a 4 game disaster of a road trip came back and won 4 league games in a row, and then squander it? So it is important that we keep this win in perspective, it is a good win but only the first step in a journey that has to happen in a similar fashion. They have once again proven they can, now they have to prove they can back up their words, now they have to prove they have the will to continue on a winning path way.

The effort level was there from the tip, they got a very early lead but they were not fazed, just blitzed the Tiggers (a place Clemson is well used to losing) in the Dean Dome. Leaky absolutely destroyed Tyson, just removed him from the game, the very likely 1st or 2nd team All ACC player was treated like the 1st grader trying to run with the high school kids, game ball to Leaky Black! Hunter Tyson took a total of 2 shots for the entire game, he made only 1, did not go to the free throw line a single time, totally eliminated by Leaky! I don't know that I have EVER seen a better individual defensive performance than what leaky did to Hunter Tyson yesterday!

Caleb, now that is the Caleb I love to see, taking good shots in rhythm, getting in to the flow of the game driving to the basket and then stepping outside. But what may go un-noticed is Caleb was defending, kid was doing work on that end and it was for all of his game time minutes. This may have been his best all around game since coming to UNC because he shot well and for good %, he took good shots sans the one heat check that he acknowledged, assisted, limited TOs, and worked hard on defense without taking as many risks. Calleb played his ass off and if my game ball was not going to leaky, it would go to Caleb. Bacot was Bacot, hope we don't get to the point where we forget just how special a player he is, 20 & 14 doesn't just happen without that kid putting in big time work, don't take it for granted. RJ was solid, think he is still effected by that finger but that kid is a warrior. I thought Puff gave is very solid minutes and ion his couple minutes of haunting Tyson did a solid job as well.

So yes, very good game but as I shared, this is only the first step AGAIN, now they have to do what they have yet to show the ability to this season, continue taking steps forward, building on what we saw yesterday rather than expecting it happens and does not see the intensity that is key moving forward. This team can no longer come out not ready to play if they want to get back to where they were last season, step 1 has to be followed by step 2 this time!

Last edited:
OK, so lets get real for a minute, this was a good game for us, it was a step in the right direction, a very needed step. But this isn't the first time we have come from total embarrassment to taking a step in the right direction this season. But we failed to build on that initial step the first time this season and watched as things sank to an even lower place. Is it different this time, I mean guys can say they have no choice, that their backs are against the wall but this is the very same team that began this season as pre-season #1 in the country and fell from #1 to out of the polls quicker than any team ever, same team that after a 4 game disaster of a road trip came back and won 4 league games in a row, and then squander it? So it is important that we keep this win in perspective, it is a good win but only the first step in a journey that has to happen in a similar fashion. They have once again proven they can, now they have to prove they can back up their words, now they have to prove they have the will to continue on a winning path way.

The effort level was there from the tip, they got a very early lead but they were not fazed, just blitzed the Tiggers (a place Clemson is well used to losing) in the Dean Dome. Leaky absolutely destroyed Tyson, just removed him from the game, the very likely 1st or 2nd team All ACC player was treated like the 1st grader trying to run with the high school kids, game ball to Leaky Black! Hunter Tyson took a total of 2 shots for the entire game, he made only 1, did not go to the free throw line a single time, totally eliminated by Leaky! I don't know that I have EVER seen a better individual defensive performance than what leaky did to Hunter Tyson yesterday!

Caleb, now that is the Caleb I love to see, taking good shots in rhythm, getting in to the flow of the game driving to the basket and then stepping outside. But what may go un-noticed is Caleb was defending, kid was doing work on that end and it was for all of his game time minutes. This may have been his best all around game since coming to UNC because he shot well and for good %, he took good shots sans the one heat check that he acknowledged, assisted, limited TOs, and worked hard on defense without taking as many risks. Calleb played his ass off and if my game ball was not going to leaky, it would go to Caleb. Bacot was Bacot, hope we don't get to the point where we forget just how special a player he is, 20 & 14 doesn't just happen without that kid putting in big time work, don't take it for granted. RJ was solid, think he is still effected by that finger but that kid is a warrior. I thought Puff gave is very solid minutes and ion his couple minutes of haunting Tyson did a solid job as well.

So yes, very good game but as I shared, this is only the first step AGAIN, now they have to do what they have yet to show the ability to this season, continue taking steps forward, building on what we saw yesterday rather than expecting it happens and does not see the intensity that is key moving forward. This team can no longer come out not ready to play if they want to get back to where they were last season, step 1 has to be followed by step 2 this time!
The question is ofc if we win if out 3s weren't dropping.

good summary Gary. I’ve been very hard on Caleb and it’s been much deserved. Games like yesterday show how good he can be, all while playing within the flow of the game and letting others work as well. He played great and that should be noted. If we can string together multiple efforts like that then the optimism will get rolling for me and a lot more folks. Great win Heels!

Good post David! Leaky was spectacular, and Caleb, I agree, it was maybe his best game ever as a Heel.
Agree, Monday night is huge again. Louisville gave Miami all they wanted last night. If Louisville can defend that lineup, Carolina should be able to as well.
It is about effort and energy, and hopefully a good defensive scheme.
Offensively, we need to limit turnovers to allow Bacot to work against their undersized big inside.

The question is ofc if we win if out 3s weren't dropping.
That is a key statistic in every game throughout the land. We have been horrendous of late, and still lost right at the wire in them. Have to be respectable in that area.

I agree we had good looks yesterday, but we were missing some good looks while struggling in the games leading up too. It can kinda snowball either way in games.

Good win in a must win game. Miami is a good litmus test. Laranaga is a good coach and this Miami team is pretty legit. They’re definitely a notch up from that clemson team we played.

Knocking down some 3's puts a whole different vibe on a game. Grinding to trade 2's against a team who is knocking down 3 balls in their mix is an awfully tough recipe for sucess with little room for error. Once some 3balls fell, I never got the sense that Clemson was much of a threat with the game action.

Nance is a problem. He is in a massive rut, looks bad on his flow throughout the games and on all types of shots. Puff gives the 3, but does not matchup as well against most teams as he does against Clemson as a 4. Jalen gives some mid range but has struggled moving, seems a good spot minutes guy at this point, not a big minute option? We are lacking for a true fit at that spot on the roster.

I think they will be a game to game 3way option for that role moving forward, play it by ear on any given night type expectations. Nance is not as vital as Caleb, who must be a threat with this roster, his shooting woes will diminish his minutes.

You mean the question any team can ask after virtually any game?
The point here is that better shot-selection makes it more likely to shoot a better percentage.
I don't think the shot selection was much different than normal. It seemed almost standard.

We already know our team can destroy everyone when we are hitting 3s. The problem is, we haven't a lot, especially without the third horseman of a threat on the perimeter.

Nance was absolutely atrocious again.

Playing inside out provided more in rythm jump shots. I think that was easy to see. There were still some terrible shot selections from our guards. A few went in so they don't get remembered. When we take a bad shot, go back and watch the whole possession. I guarantee you one of two things happened or both. We walked up the court with the ball and dribbled 35 feet out for 5 seconds and/or we did not get the ball in the post.

My biggest issue yesterday is we sprinted up the court in the first half, especially the first 10 minutes. The second half we were back to walking/jogging the ball up the court.

Moving it up quickly provides so many positives. We should be doing it all the time.
More time to run sets, get into the legs of opponents having to sprint back, easier defensive rebounding when they are concerned about getting back on transition defense.

We played better but I agree that we have quite a ways to go. The good news is we can improve and there are no dominant teams this year. I just don't know if we can display the discipline required to play the right way for a whole game.

If we can, I think we can compete with any team in the top ten.

Sorry about the length. I went DSOUTHR on you. No offense D!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT