ADVERTISEMENT

Quick stuff (FSU game 2)...

I don't know Dsouthr. Bacot seems to be moving well and blocking shots. I really think he is putting team first and trying to not monopolize the ball when he gets it. He wants to go out a winner over being high scorer in my opinion. These guys really have some beautiful sets sometimes where good shots are being passed up for even better shots and that is fun to watch.
And I agree with all of that but I do see situations where he seems to not want to establish strong position and elevate in traffic. I see it 2 fold, I don't see Bacot crashing the boards as we all know he does on either end, that isn't Bacot. Taking a new role, which I agree he has, but that new role does not mean he sacrifice boards for others. Second, he just is not making himself a target, now defer to others sure, I get that but you make yourself a target to allow others to have some freedom and that isn't happening like we know Bacot does. Now Bacot has always missed a lot of bunnies but it does seem to me that he is missing way more of them now than he has in the past, is that a elevation problem thru contact?

He seems to be running well straight line, moving his feet defensively but he seems hesitant to rise up, maybe to reduce the landing on someone's foot problem. Taking a step back, like Hansbourgh did with Ty Lawson is one thing but Hansbourgh did not take himself out of the offense as a scorer, he just reduced his attempts to spread the wealth as they say. Bacot is nearly completely taking himself out as a scorer. Bacot did share recently in a post game that he had a very difficult off season with his ankle and another nagging injury from last season that just didn't seem to heal as expected. He didn't come out and say it was still a problem but he didn't say it was 100% either. Those high ankle sprains can sometimes take multiple months to recover from and even then require a lot of rest and it is pretty well known that Bacot put in a lot of work this off season to have a better season this time than last. Did he allow enough rest time for that ankle to fully heal, maybe not? He seemed to early season but here we are half way thru a grinding season and we see a very different player.

Another thing, we have all watched Bacot play for a long time, we have seen spots in games where Bacot had enough of a opposing players nonsense, we have seen him get pissed off. What happens, pretty much every time Bacot gets pissed, he abuses the other team for the next several minutes, he shows them you don't mess with a grizzly bear! LOL Yesterday with that Green kid running his mouth as he did Bacot we all know would send the message, it would get a bit more physical than that opponent would like, not dirty but Bacot would typically show off some of that really good strength he has.

That is not in any way to say what he is doing is not for the betterment of this team, a lot of what he is doing right now IMO may help his NBA ability, he is showing he can be really effective and not need to score, that he can allow big time scorers to feature by setting screens so their looks are cleaner, ect. I do think making Bacot the primary scoring option every time down needed to be modified but not nearly eliminated. We have gone from a focus every trip down court to make sure Bacot at least touches the ball to Bacot not touching the ball on a regular basis and that I don't think is completely coaching decision for a healthy Bacot.

This is me hearing some whispers and maybe my looking harder to see if I see those whispers as having merit, not sure I would look so hard at this if I were not hearing a couple whispers.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Also, if you remember Hubert inserted High right after the incident to knock a few heads.
Gary, I was typing the exact same thing! I even put it in the game thread at the time that High had checked in to commit some fouls. I love that we have those pieces and that High has the intensity and attitude to play that role!!

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and gary-7
Bacot is dominant against 80 percent of his opponents, but when a team like FSU has multiple bigs to give fouls he just has to rely on making free throws.

Ingram gets to play off of the attention Bacot gets, and he is doing it at a high level.

Withers could have taken pressure off Bacot, he may need to talk to Ingram how to get his while playing with Bacot. Ingram way better offensive player, but Withers can be better!

RJ is RJ, and EC is growing. Not mad when Seth is shooting anymore. Cormac needs a big game soon, I am predicting Duke, Ryan has a big game.

Last edited:
I want to go back to something gary said in his initial post on this thread concerning Seth. "And Seth --- son, you can jump outta the gym --- stop air-hanging and DUNK the damn ball!"... ABSOLUTLY RIGHT, enough trying to be cute, flush the darn ball. He seems to concerned about being challenged at the rim that he is floating to much and he seems to be struggling with his feet placement before he explodes up, you DO NOT MISS WIDE OPEN BREAK AWAY LAY UPS! It is like his timing on his jump is off, like his feet get tangled and he isn't getting the lift he thought he could.

Withers, again I agree, it is almost like I can tell you what kind of game Wit is going to have within the first minute or 2 of his getting in the game. He will pump up a early shot that isn't really needed, he will try to add a little extra and turns it over, kid does not consistently simply let the game come to him, he forces it and it ends up bad, he RUSHES and he is not good when he does that. I saw that early vs FSU and said watching him for about 2mins that this was NOT going to be his game to step up, said that about Seth as well.

You guys know, hard to find anyone that is more in Seth's corner than me but at the end of the day I am going to tell you just what I see, the good and the bad and no matter how much he may be "my guy". The good is, my opinion, he is not just the best back court defender we have, he is the best back court defender in the ACC, and for my money maybe the best in the college game. My concerns with his play is 100% on the offensive end. First, really wish he had worked harder on his ball handles this off season, specifically his dribble is to high, makes him to easy to strip, he is not a guy that can beat back court pressure with the dribble and by now he should be. Second, I have said this before, I am still not convinced his jump shooting is where many others seem to feel it is, it has improved some from last season but there is still a lack of confidence in it, he passes up more wide open jumpers than Cadeau does. Tells me his shooting is not as confident as it needs to be. Kenny Williams... I could have written this about Kenny Williams and his last 2years with us.

This dude is an idiot. Credit to Bacot for staying cool. I love how Harrison comes in from the left just smiling.
How can the zebras not call a T on that guy? You would think that would be justified just to cool things down from getting out of control. And what kind of coach would let him play on. I would think a good coach would sit him on the bench for an extended time.

How can the zebras not call a T on that guy? You would think that would be justified just to cool things down from getting out of control. And what kind of coach would let him play on. I would think a good coach would sit him on the bench for an extended time.
Absolutely. That was a fail to not T him up. A key time for refs to get control of the game.

I will always take a win on the road in conference but did have some frustrations. I thought the staff made a mistake by taking the air out of the ball and just letting RJ and Cadeau drive the basket with so much time. I wanted to keep running the offense until maybe two minutes. Too many lazy to’s from lobbing passes - FSU is too long for that.

It was nice to Cormac hit some 3’s. The first half defense was off, everyone seemed a step slow in closing out on their man. FSU #5 should have been T’d up early. He reminded me of the jackass on Baylor a few years ago who seemed to be in the game only to assault Bacot.

Icing on the cake was knowing our game was running late and dookies would miss their start.

Exactly.

Earlier they let f$u no. 0 stand over top Harrison clapping and staring at Ingram after a jump ball tie up. To me that was borderline taunting when he stood over him like that. Refs didn't do anything then, but what that no. 5 fool did was way worse. The zebras need to T that kinda crap up early so the games don't get outta hand.

Hate watching the ball get pounded at half court. Watched too much of that the last few years. I cringe when we do that. At least move it side to side to move the d a little.

The

This dude is an idiot. Credit to Bacot for staying cool. I love how Harrison comes in from the left just smiling.
I did some digging after I heard the announcers say he was from Roy's home town....

The way he was acting I thought he might have felt snubbed by the Heels back in his recruitment and he had a point to prove..... UNC offered him for the '22 class but maybe they slow-played him after GG Jackson and then Jaylen Washington committed?

Too many peeps have already ground all my axes! So I will only add that watching the reality set in on those idiots' faces that they gave their best shot and still had to watch the "pretty boys" drink their milkshakes was extremely satisfying! #5 & #23 were especially sheepish since they were wolfing the most.....priceless! Refs this year are some of the worst I have ever seen and allowing it to continue like they did will eventually get someone injured!

With the win on the road Saturday, UNC joined VCU and Saint Mary's as the only teams in Division 1 that are undefeated in true road games. That's a pretty strong statement to coaching and toughness!
And the road win dropped UNC in the NET - go figure. ACC is just considered bad this year (again). I think FSU and Wake should be in the tourny easily and UVa & VT on the bubble but as of now the conference only has 3 teams. What sucks is that if the Heels drop a game or two second half of conference it will look worse than it is and will not get a lot of credit for even road wins the rest of the way.

That logjam of teams with 3-5 losses will probably split with one another from here on out. It appears only UNC and dook will offer a chance for a quality win for them. It bugs me to see the conference basically considered a mid-major in the algorithms of these damn computers.

Reactions: gary-7

As a fan, I appreciate everything about Harrison Ingram. Ultimate team player and teammate. Incredible attitude and demeanor. Happy and proud he is a Tar Heel. Thinking about (possibly) having him next year as a senior leader...just wow. Way to go Hubert and staff for bringing him in! Homerun transfer.
How can you not love this dude? He's a dawg on the court, does everything he possibly can to help the team win, and is thrilled to be playing for UNC. And almost always with a smile on his face!

I sure hope he's back next year too.

And the road win dropped UNC in the NET - go figure. ACC is just considered bad this year (again). I think FSU and Wake should be in the tourny easily and UVa & VT on the bubble but as of now the conference only has 3 teams. What sucks is that if the Heels drop a game or two second half of conference it will look worse than it is and will not get a lot of credit for even road wins the rest of the way.

That logjam of teams with 3-5 losses will probably split with one another from here on out. It appears only UNC and dook will offer a chance for a quality win for them. It bugs me to see the conference basically considered a mid-major in the algorithms of these damn computers.
The "net" is a bogus measure that is self-perpetuating nonsense.

How could you slack off or have a negative attitude with Ingram on the team???? The only purpose for the NET is to justify the committee's arbitrary choices! Ergo, I would bet 1 million dollars we will share a bracket with Zona!

Reactions: Heels5150
How could you slack off or have a negative attitude with Ingram on the team???? The only purpose for the NET is to justify the committee's arbitrary choices! Ergo, I would bet 1 million dollars we will share a bracket with Zona!
KenPom is very, very similar through with ratings. Heck all of them are. The part I dislike the most about the NET is the rewards for bigger blowout margin of victories. But again the ones that don't reward that are very near to the NET as well.

I do not want it just to be people's "eye tests". That is way too subjective. Not sure if there is ANY metric that shows the ACC as a good conference, anywhere. Gotta do better, win games on the court.

KenPom is very, very similar through with ratings. Heck all of them are. The part I dislike the most about the NET is the rewards for bigger blowout margin of victories. But again the ones that don't reward that are very near to the NET as well.

I do not want it just to be people's "eye tests". That is way too subjective. Not sure if there is ANY metric that shows the ACC as a good conference, anywhere. Gotta do better, win games on the court.
They are all inherently flawed as all use a preseason starting point, which is purely speculative and subjective. Thus, unless an initially undervalued conference (e.g., today's ACC) kicks ass in November/December, it gets locked into a nowhere cycle. That UNC could beat FSU at home and LOSE net? That flunks the SMELL (read: stench) test.

They are all inherently flawed as all use a preseason starting point, which is purely speculative and subjective. Thus, unless an initially undervalued conference (e.g., today's ACC) kicks ass in November/December, it gets locked into a nowhere cycle. That UNC could beat FSU at home and LOSE net? That flunks the SMELL (read: stench) test.
I agree with the early season speculation, not useful until enough games are played in a season. That shakes itself out by mid season though, and the starting point has no bearing. It is on what they did on the court this year to that point in totality. The "under value" is from this years wins and loses.

I do not think UNC lost a spot as much as the team below them gained a spot. Tougher opponent faced that week. Oklahoma losing again this week, and to your point, not getting credit for early tier 1 status anymore, hurt as well. What is UNC 6/7 in the NET. They would be a 1 seed right now with that 6/7 NET. It's not 100% usage.

I have yet to see a better way then using so.e common metric within. I think it is better than just what Dtodd, Gary, Dick Vitale, or other writers who see a team play 3 or 4 times giving thier opinion though.

ACC has to be better. 1 year down, maybe a fluke, but they have sucked non conference multiple years in a row now. That is hard to say, it's a fluke, that they deserve better by old school name recognition. Win some games.

Last edited:
I have yet to see a better way then using so.e common metric within. I think it is better than just what Dtodd, Gary, Dick Vitale, or other writers who see a team play 3 or 4 times giving thier opinion though.
I disagree. A committee of unbiased, real basketball people, whose only job is to pick the Top 68 teams from day one of the season until selection day, could do as well and probably better in my opinion.
There's no fathomable reason we are >4 in any rankings, NET included, right now.
The worst eyes in America can see that.

I'm not so sure about that.
A committee of unbiased, real basketball people, whose only job is to pick the Top 68 teams from day one of the season until selection day, could do as well and probably better in my opinion.
There's no fathomable reason we are >4 in any rankings, NET included, right now.
It is not 100% NET though. It is just the level starting point. If the season ended today the committee would have UNC as a 1 seed. 6,7,8 is in the range.

Plenty of basketball left as well. Conference champ stuff comes into play as well. NET is one piece. Not the set 68 by any stretch of the imagination.

ACC has to be better. 1 year down, maybe a fluke, but they have sucked non conference multiple years in a row now. That is hard to say, it's a fluke, that they deserve better by old school name recognition. Win some games.
The above statement is true.... the ACC has to pick up it's game. The top teams need to do better in out-of-conference games and the bottom teams need to suck much less than they are right now.

All I have to say on this is, they better not hose us like the did FSU in football OR the NCAA needs to end immediately!I f we continue to win and win the ACC we better be a top tier 1 seed!

Bet a million dollars, AWESOME! OK, so I will hold the money to insure pay out so I will send you the $$$ wire instructions. Have you got the other party yet, I will need theirs as well and will inform both once the funds have been placed in the "holding account". No time to explain further, have a meeting with my travel agency, planning a trip, a really long trip, I hear Cuba is nice this time of the year?! LOL

• Haha
The other party is an Ethiopian Prince who needs to smuggle his money out of his country and he will send you the money as soon as you give him your banking info!

But seriously, would you be surprised if we are in the bracket with Zona???

With almost a dozen games left to play, l'm sure the team is highly focused on Georgia Tech,
and only Georgia Tech tonight in Atlanta. GO HEELS!

Everything else will get sorted out.

I remember we recruited Ingram out of high school and we were on top of his list, but he ultimately chose Stanford. What was his reason for choosing Stanford when all I ever hear him say is how he is living the dream at UNC?

Was it his parents?

I remember we recruited Ingram out of high school and we were on top of his list, but he ultimately chose Stanford. What was his reason for choosing Stanford when all I ever hear him say is how he is living the dream at UNC?

Was it his parents?
I ran into one of his relatives at the Battle of Atlantis this year! I got to chat with them for about 5 minutes while waiting in line for drinks/food! I didn’t ask the question but stated “I really wish Harrison would have came to UNC as a freshman”. They explained that Roy said Leaky was his guy at the 3 and that Harrison may have to wait a year or so to start! They also said that coming out Harrison was really pushing to be a one and done…obviously it didn’t workout at Stanford! The relative said that the whole family wished he would have came to UNC right away now…also said his mom was really high on academics and Stanford stuck out! His relative was super cool and down to earth! Even bought my food and drink for me!

I’m really glad he ended up here..he has been fun to watch and is a good kid!

He literally almost dragged UNC to a National Championship while playing on one leg.

Really, so what happened the next year was he just tired from dragging us the year before?

Or was it that we lost Manick and he needed to be a bigger factor for us to be great and he was the same player he has been for 5 years?

I disagree. A committee of unbiased, real basketball people, whose only job is to pick the Top 68 teams from day one of the season until selection day, could do as well and probably better in my opinion.
A SYSTEM THAT REWARDS EQUALLY GAMES PLAYED EARLY VS HOW TEAMS PLAY LATE SEASON makes no sense to me.

EVERY SEASON we see the same thing, MAJOR UPSET, Power team X is upset by a team no one knows much about. How many head scratching upsets did you see just this season, happens every year. See, the big time programs like UNC, duke, Kansas, Ky ect tend to not only bring in freshmen that get a lot of minutes but they as well portal ion now players that are key for their seasons. It takes a little time to integrate players, figure out your line ups and rotations, how many minutes this kid can play vs another kid. But doing that with very talented rosters like the top 20 level programs have to is even harder because the talent gap is not as large as it is on lesser programs.

Attrition is a fact for big time programs, many players leave early, their talent base is so deep that if a player did not get the PT he needed he hits the portal. On those lesser programs the players do tend to stay for their full eligibility, oh a very few will portal to a stronger program but on average smaller programs will be able to field very experienced teams and their coaches tend to stay as well. But the top 50 level programs see players leaving early constantly and they see coaches hopping from 1 gig to the next looking for that best job.

My point is the smaller programs go in to a season typically with a LOT of experience, many times all starters can be Jr and seniors that already have 3+ years of experience with the same coaches, they may lack talent but they can execute what their coaches want. But the top 50 teams in the country take longer to really come together, freshmen have to adjust to this level of play, portal in guys have to mesh with the remaining guys, and coaches don't know who is "game ready". As they are trying to figure all this out that have to play a teams that has figured it out and looks at your top 50 team like their super bowl. They play with house money, they don't have anything to lose, they are assumed to lose. But the power team has to win, not just win but is expected to win big and if things don't go right game pressure is 100% on the power team. The result and we see it every season now, major crazy upsets early. Guys KY lost in Dec to UNCW, they beat us, they lost to UNCW (W, the UNC in Wilmington)LOL!

It should be about how a team is playing late more than early, you should want the best teams in the NCAAT and worry as much how they played early when it is not early season anymore when you are picking the 68 best teams in the country to go at it. Teams that deserve to be in the NCAAT play great late.

Said this before, I would take the top 16 teams by ranking automatically in to the NCAAT. I would then use the NIT as a qualifying tourney for the next 64 teams, oh now the NIT has some real value. Let them all play based on their ranking 2 games, that result is 16 qualifiers to add to the existing 16 teams that got in by being top 16 in the country after their conference play, and run a NCAAT with 32 teams, basically start the NCAA at what we now call the second round. This way you have 80 teams all with a shot at winning the title and you play 1 less NCAAT round of games. You don't need a NET, we rank teams every darn week thru the season, telling me we can't rank teams the same way for NIT and NCAA seeding the same way? What is worst that could happen, team ranked #81 doesn't get in to the qualifying tourney, you were ranked #81 in the country, you are not that good, you have no case to make.

The other party is an Ethiopian Prince who needs to smuggle his money out of his country and he will send you the money as soon as you give him your banking info!

But seriously, would you be surprised if we are in the bracket with Zona???
LOL, darn, there goes another pay day! LOL

No, I am sure the NCAA would enjoy the drama of Caleb Love vs UNC but ya know what they love even more, UNC vs Ky! They gonna find a way to have us play them and I so hope we do get another shot at Ky and I hope it is before the final 4! I would like another shot at UConn to, I think that would be an amazing final 4 game. The one team that scares me, that I DO NOT DO NOT want to see us play is Houston. Honestly, for me I think Kelvin and Danny Hurley are the 2 best coaches in the country right now because their players always work really hard and execute consistently on both ends. Those 2 coaches don't get the hype others may get, they tend to fly under the radar but they develop the talent they get and they assemble really great teams that may not have the individual star power but they will take it to you and give them one glimpse and they will beat ya.

If NC St were smart, they would get rid of the clown they have now and open the check book for Kelvin Sampson, I think he would take the gig, he considers NC his home, he is from Pembrook. His dream has always been to coach UNC but he would take the NC St job if Hubert is established and entrenched as our head coach. See my disclaimer for sure but... I do hope the wuffies don't listen to me on that! LOL>

Really, so what happened the next year was he just tired from dragging us the year before?

Or was it that we lost Manick and he needed to be a bigger factor for us to be great and he was the same player he has been for 5 years?
First of all, the player's name is MANEK.

Secondly, Bacot admitted he didn't put in the rehab time necessary in the 2022 offseason and it impacted his '22-'23 season.

Third, yes really. He came really really close to dragging a flawed roster to a National Championship in 2022 despite being injured.

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
First of all, the player's name is MANEK.

Secondly, Bacot admitted he didn't put in the rehab time necessary in the 2022 offseason and it impacted his '22-'23 season.

Third, yes really. He came really really close to dragging a flawed roster to a National Championship in 2022 despite being injured.

We don't have to agree, I'm just saying he would be one of the easier players to replace when he leaves.

Name one QUALITY starting big we have had in the last 15 years that you would take him over?

Maye
Wright
Hicks
T
Johnson
Meeks
Bradley
Zeller
Thompson

He is average at best, and that's okay!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts