ADVERTISEMENT

Quick stuff (Marquette game - NCAAT)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and this was about "playing thru".

I made 3 pregame notes on what I wanted to see:
1) ATTACK their press, 2) ATTACK the glass, and 3) ATTACK in transition.
Bottom line? We did all three. Result? 30 point win.

- I've been harping for years on here about "playing thru" what you're presented with, whether it be zebras or the opponents' tactics. If the refs are alowing contact, then give as good as you get --- if the opponent is pressing or trying to extend your offense, f*** that... take it right at em.

- The best way to accomplish the latter is to run our Press-O and treat it as a Secondary Break op, instead of slowing into a late shot-clock situation. And in general, get in your Secondary lanes and take the shots it presents. Sure, we got a tad frisky with some of the deep attempts, but we had them on their heels, and we flat went after the offensive glass, baby!

- When it became apparent the zebras were allowing contact, our front line gave em wat-fer on our defensve end, and set the tone for the game that we would not be intimidated by their chippy BS.

- Speaking of which, Caleb channeled his inner Joel Berry, i.e., instead of getting frustrated at their tactics, he got mad and took em to school.

- Apparently, every team that scouts us must watch the damn Wake video. I mean, how many teams seem to think they can just run those cheesy middle-paint isos? News flash: We're defending that way better these days. And speaking of D, how good was Leaky, hmm?

- and finally, I called the turning point of this game in real time early in the first half, when we got the ball out in transition but they had 5 back. Nonetheless, Brady properly ran his lane to the block, and Leaky kept pushing the rock as he's supposed to. As happens so often, they forgot about the block-runner and Leaky had an easy dime to Brady for a layup. Shaka has to take a timeout. Now, that'll go down on the stat sheet as "fast break" points --- and it looked like 2-on-5 --- but it was actually a result of not giving up on the Secondary. I want to see more of that Saturday.

Anyway, that's how you approach the Dance, and having never been a fan of Shaka's, that was all the better from my perspective. The key to moving forward is to keep "playimg thru"... :cool:

Last edited:
Anyone know if Garcia was there in the house? Hope he got to celebrate with his teammates.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Nice recap Gary!
Question: so was Carolina under seeded or Marquette over seeded? I know I really liked this match up for the Heels in game 1…

...and this was about "playing thru".

I made 3 pregame notes on what I wanted to see:
1) ATTACK their press, 2) ATTACK the glass, and 3) ATTACK in transition.
Bottom line? We did all three. Result? 30 point win.

- I've been harping for years on here about "playing thru" what you're presented with, whether it be zebras or the opponents' tactics. If the refs are alowing contact, then give as good as you get --- if the opponent is pressing or trying to extend your offense, f*** that... take it right at em.

- The best way to accomplish the latter is to run our Press-O and treat it as a Secondary Break op, instead of slowing into a late shot-clock situation. And in general, get in your Secondary lanes and take the shots it presents. Sure, we got a tad frisky with some of the deep attempts, but we had them on their heels, and we flat went after the offensive glass, baby!

- When it became apparent the zebras were allowing contact, our front line gave em wat-fer on our defensve end, and set the tone for the game that we would not be intimidated by their chippy BS.

- Speaking of which, Caleb channeled his inner Joel Berry, i.e., instead of getting frustrated at their tactics, he got mad and took em to school.

- Apparently, every team that scouts us must watch the damn Wake video. I mean, how many teams seem to think they can just run those cheesy middle-paint isos? News flash: We're defending that way better these days. And speaking of D, how good was Leaky, hmm?

- and finally, I called the turning point of this game in real time early in the first half, when we got the ball out in transition but they had 5 back. Nonetheless, Brady properly ran his lane to the block, and Leaky kept pushing the rock as he's supposed to. As happens so often, they forgot about the block-runner and Leaky had an easy dime to Brady for a layup. Shaka has to take a timeout. Now, that'll go down on the stat sheet as "fast break" points --- and it looked like 2-on-5 --- but it was actually a result of not giving up on the Secondary. I want to see more of that Saturday.

Anyway, that's how you approach the Dance, and having never been a fan of Shaka's, that was all the better from my perspective. The key to moving forward is to keep "playimg thru"... :cool:
Always spot on! Thanks Gary, and amen!

B313-B839-80-ED-44-D1-926-E-14-BFBC70-BEE2.jpg

Damn skippy that was a very impressive victory. We dropped so many nice dimes and our
shot selection was stellar. We owned the glass. Now if we could only
improve our technical foul free throw shooting. By bringing that level of intensity
on Saturday, we can beat Baylor.

Last edited:
Caleb grabbed this game by the throat with 21 in the 1st half, and draining 3's.

Leaky kept their very talented 17 point per game scoreless in the 1st half.

Only 4 turnovers at half.

RJ had 11 assists and 0 turnovers at one point in the 2nd half.

Last edited:
One thing that really jumped out to me was the offensive spacing and movement just seemed crisper. A lot more dribbling with a purpose and balance on the court. This was as close to what I hoped to see from UNC on offense as I have seen this year, 21 reg fg's, 13 3's and 29 assists. That is sharing the ball and using the whole court.

Anyone know if Garcia was there in the house? Hope he got to celebrate with his teammates.
No he was home mad that Brady took his starting spot….and working three jobs to take care of his family….and looking the the transfer portal

Completely unnecessary comment.
this is what my research has uncovered. Didn’t he say he was going home to take care of his family? How can he do that without a job or two? He will not be back….next year Styles will be in his spot. He should quit basketball and make sure his family is fed and the bills are paid. Family comes first.

Hey, where's the Love? Doesn't sound like much Love in that comment?
Sometimes you must use tough Love. But I admire that he is home working multiple jobs to feed and house his family. That takes balls to quit the game you love to take care of your family.

What I loved most was how Hubert prepared his team for this game, he knew Marquette was going to try to go all Creighton on them, he hammered this to them every day since finding out they were playing Marquette. He told them I want my entire team going in to the game LOOKING FOR FIGHT, ready to fight, delivering the first blow, and not backing down. That is the mindset I want to see, this team, not just for the next game but from now on, as long as Hubert is the coach, that is the mindset I want imprinted on UNC basketball, do not ever allow another team to back you down, to out physical you, stand your ground and fight back and don't stop.

Marquette tried to get real physical, they tried to get in to our heads, UNC was having none of it, our Heels not only took the blows, they delivered their own much harder, we not only won the game, we won the fight, that is a natty winning attitude, that is a coach getting his players in the right head space.

Now, does this mindset carry over, we will find out against Baylor tomorrow, it will have to carry over for us to advance past them.

One thing that really jumped out to me was the offensive spacing and movement just seemed crisper. A lot more dribbling with a purpose and balance on the court. This was as close to what I hoped to see from UNC on offense as I have seen this year, 21 reg fg's, 13 3's and 29 assists. That is sharing the ball and using the whole court.
Agreed, Marquette pressing helped that quite a bit though. Once you beat the extended pressure there are areas open. We attacked it well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT