ADVERTISEMENT

RJ's Defense

I used to think he was a liability on defense. But he has looked a lot better this year. Like, he is turning into a very good on-ball defender. Am I imagining this? Are there stats that could back this up? His steal rate this year is up around 50% over the last two years.
I don’t think much has changed on rjs end but I do know we help better this year and switches seem to be working out a little better. I laughed when someone posted about him not guarding mintz well yesterday, because immediately right after that he scored on EC then twice on Seth. Some guys are hard to guard. I do know another year makes you smarter, usually, and better prepared too.

I used to think he was a liability on defense. But he has looked a lot better this year. Like, he is turning into a very good on-ball defender. Am I imagining this? Are there stats that could back this up? His steal rate this year is up around 50% over the last two years.
He most definitely was a liability man-up, but credit where it's due, RJ has improved markedly this season. From what I see, the key is that he is getting better (and craftier) at applying early ball-pressure without getting picked off by high screeners.

This in turn helps prevent guys from getting him in size disadvantages closer to the rim. After some scouting, I would expect opponents to set some off-ball action to peel his man open away from help. As @alabamaheel correctly said, our help D is miles improved.

It also bears mention that RJ's defensive effort has been exemplary.

He wasn't really a liability last year either. Almost all the problems last year were on the switch and fall back defense which left the backcourt trailing behind the slasher or way out of position.

RJ has improved at hawking the ball though this season.

In addition, our coaches adjusted how and when we switch and this also helps prevent the really bad situation of him trying to body a 5! Both of our guards have a steep learning curve on D and it is inspiring the entire team to work harder on that end!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT