ADVERTISEMENT

Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame Nominees... Time to vote!

Rod Stewart is another perfect rock'n'roll voice.

Led Zeppelin ripped-off the Jeff Beck Group (with Rod on vocals) as much as they ripped off black blues artists of the USA.

and, the Faces:

and, on his own:

decent but not top-of-the-heap for me.

I don't think of the Britsh blues-rockers as having ripped off the great American bluesmen. Rather, they brought them to the forefront by using or playing off of their blues tunes. I myself hadn't much thought about blues music AS blues music until bands like early Fleetwood Mac, and Zep, etc., made me aware. Now I'm all about 'em.

decent but not top-of-the-heap for me.

I don't think of the Britsh blues-rockers as having ripped off the great American bluesmen. Rather, they brought them to the forefront by using or playing off of their blues tunes. I myself hadn't much thought about blues music AS blues music until bands like early Fleetwood Mac, and Zep, etc., made me aware. Now I'm all about 'em.
All music is subjective. There's no real grading system, thank god.

I was saying that Led Zeppelin ripped-off the Jeff Beck Group, in the sstudio and on stage.

The British blues artists were paying homage to their heroes, for the most part. Page & Zeppelin were a little more... eager... to "pay homage" by claiming they wrote a lot of lyrics that they just flat-out copied.

didn't check the GSD list, but I think Roy Orbison and Tom Petty need to be on the list. Unique, distinct voices, easy to listen to across so many hit songs.

I'd put Don Henley on the voice list too, now that I think of it.

ETA: this gets really difficult to discuss, when given the huge, vast expanse of all music / musicians considered rock or pop or some close relative.
I'd say Freddie Mercury and Elton John have to be top 5 for men.

Women: I think any voice list needs to include Whitney Houston, Gloria Estephan, maybe Karen Carpenter, though that's a long way from rock.
And my personal all-time favorite musician / singer (and fiddle player) is Allison Kraus (and Union Station). She is not rock or pop.

They are bluegrass, but AK has done a lot of solo and duet work with Robert Plant recently. She's straight up voice of an angel, especially when she was in her teens / twenties.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: pooponduke
She's straight up voice of an angel,
Had to love the comment just for the Allison Kraus reference. Not that I'd connect her with anything rock and roll (and apparently the R&R HOF isn't that either), but when I imagine the voice of an angel, Allison comes to mind. Simply beautiful and pure.

Reactions: Heelicious
Had to love the comment just for the Allison Kraus reference. Not that I'd connect her with anything rock and roll (and apparently the R&R HOF isn't that either), but when I imagine the voice of an angel, Allison comes to mind. Simply beautiful and pure.
I agree, and submit that Crystal Gale should also be included in the set of Angel Voices.

There’s no way Linda Ronstadt can be left out of the top female voices.

LOL. I had to look it up to see what it was from. I've never seen that flick.
oblivion-tom-cruise.gif

Huge bands that aren't in and some haven't even been nominated The Guess Who (incredible band), Grand Funk Railroad, Steppenwolf, Jethro Tull, Kansas, Crosby, Stills & Nash (Crosby will get a token farewell performance at the ceremony this year), Free, Three Dog Night. There are tons of British bands like ELP, King Crimson, aforementioned Tull, who just get snubbed entirely. Gotta make room for great rock acts like Dolly Parton, Willie Nelson and NWA.

Reactions: bluetoe
Hell for me is listening to Sheryl Crow's "All I Wanna Do" on repeat for eternity.

And how is it that Willie Nelson was not already in? WTF?

• Love
Reactions: Heelicious
Hell for me is listening to Sheryl Crow's "All I Wanna Do" on repeat for eternity.

There's a lot of people who should be in that aren't. Especially on the rap side.

Would it help if you could look at Sheryl Crow while the song was playing? Would you be able to have fun?

That's gotta be the weakest, saddest, most unappealing list in the history of the HOF.

I think Willie Nelson is great, but he's not Rock-'n'-roll... Never was, never will be. That whole operation has driven itself into banality. It's pretty sad. There are dozens and dozens of iconic rock bands that aren't even on the list.

That's gotta be the weakest, saddest, most unappealing list in the history of the HOF.

I think Willie Nelson is great, but he's not Rock-'n'-roll... Never was, never will be. That whole operation has driven itself into banality. It's pretty sad. There are dozens and dozens of iconic rock bands that aren't even on the list.
this is how all of these endeavors seem to turn out and that's why I pay no attention to them. They become garbage pretty quickly.

this is how all of these endeavors seem to turn out and that's why I pay no attention to them. They become garbage pretty quickly.
I remember quite a few years ago (2006, maybe) when Johnny Rotten was on Jimmy Kimmel talking about the Sex Pistols being inducted and how they weren't even going to attend. He's a peculiar guy, but his assessment of the "institution" (as he called it), was pretty much a bullseye. He was talking about how the RRHOF had sold out and how they were basically "charging me 10 grand to remind me that I'm famous"- referring to what the seats cost for anyone attending with the inductees. It was good.

I remember quite a few years ago (2006, maybe) when Johnny Rotten was on Jimmy Kimmel talking about the Sex Pistols being inducted and how they weren't even going to attend. He's a peculiar guy, but his assessment of the "institution" (as he called it), was pretty much a bullseye. He was talking about how the RRHOF had sold out and how they were basically "charging me 10 grand to remind me that I'm famous"- referring to what the seats cost for anyone attending with the inductees. It was good.
Johnny Rotten on Jimmy Kimmel

scroll down to the featured user review. I rarely watch talk shows anymore, but that's one I'd like to have seen. Thanks.

Johnny Rotten on Jimmy Kimmel

scroll down to the featured user review. I rarely watch talk shows anymore, but that's one I'd like to have seen. Thanks.
It was Orlando JONES, not Bloom. One of my closest friends' youngest brother (also a friend of mine) went to CoC and was Jones's roommate and buddy, and they were even in an improv comedy troupe together in DC before he (the brother) came back to Charleston. That's how I knew to watch it- he called me.

Jones actually pwned Lydon during an interaction they had. Lydon missed it. I think Lydon was drunk. Lydon was griping and griping and Jones said "You sound like an angry black man!" And, Lydon said "Understand, I come from England and we don't have 'dat black/white culture there!" And Jones responded with "True engineers of human freedom, the British!" The audience busted out laughing. Lydon was too busy ranting. He talked about to going to Africa- "the original Garden of Eden." He meant well, I guess.

But, Lydon definitely put the HOF in its place.

Is Crow on this list of nominees? She's pretty decent to look at, as far as musicians go, but maybe a top 20 most overrated singing performer. So many of her songs are so annoying stupid hipster loser deadbeat lyrics. Hard pass.

Is Crow on this list of nominees? She's pretty decent to look at, as far as musicians go, but maybe a top 20 most overrated singing performer. So many of her songs are so annoying stupid hipster loser deadbeat lyrics. Hard pass.
She is being inducted this year per the article I posted.

Eh, there's some really good names on that list. I'm not going to get into the "it's not rock music" argument again. That's probably happened 10 times in this thread.

Eh, there's some really good names on that list. I'm not going to get into the "it's not rock music" argument again. That's probably happened 10 times in this thread.
It's one induction ceremony that definitely won't watch. I haven't watched one in... 5-7 years?

The last one was when Steve Miller and Deep Purple were inducted.

It was Orlando JONES, not Bloom. One of my closest friends' youngest brother (also a friend of mine) went to CoC and was Jones's roommate and buddy, and they were even in an improv comedy troupe together in DC before he (the brother) came back to Charleston. That's how I knew to watch it- he called me.

Jones actually pwned Lydon during an interaction they had. Lydon missed it. I think Lydon was drunk. Lydon was griping and griping and Jones said "You sound like an angry black man!" And, Lydon said "Understand, I come from England and we don't have 'dat black/white culture there!" And Jones responded with "True engineers of human freedom, the British!" The audience busted out laughing. Lydon was too busy ranting. He talked about to going to Africa- "the original Garden of Eden." He meant well, I guess.

But, Lydon definitely put the HOF in its place.
thanks for the clarity. You probably noticed that the page I linked had Jones at the top but referred to Bloom in the description below. I had assumed that Jones at the top was the mistake.

And again I hate I didn't see it. A guest that comes on high or drunk is almost always entertaining and maybe revealing.

Huge bands that aren't in and some haven't even been nominated The Guess Who (incredible band), Grand Funk Railroad, Steppenwolf, Jethro Tull, Kansas, Crosby, Stills & Nash (Crosby will get a token farewell performance at the ceremony this year), Free, Three Dog Night. There are tons of British bands like ELP, King Crimson, aforementioned Tull, who just get snubbed entirely. Gotta make room for great rock acts like Dolly Parton, Willie Nelson and NWA.
every one of the bands you listed are not only more than worthy of induction, they happen to be bands that over the years I considered to be top drawer R&R listening and really got into...except Kansas, and 3 Dog. Never cared for Kansas that much, and I had to be in the right mood to appreciate 3 Dog, but they both definitely deserve induction.

Absolutely correct about the The Guess Who, BTW. We don't see eye-to-eye much on other stuff but I'm in tune with your music side.

Reactions: strummingram
Never cared for Kansas that much, ...

"Kansas was a big part of music when bands were named after geographical locations. And let's hope that never happens again. Because quite frankly, those bands suck."

R.I.P. Dave Brockie, aka, Oderus Urungus.

• Haha
It just keeps getting sadder...

The complete list of 2024 nominees, in alphabetical order:

· Mary J. Blige

· Mariah Carey

· Cher

· Dave Matthews Band

· Eric B. & Rakim

· Foreigner

· Peter Frampton

· Jane’s Addiction

· Kool & the Gang

· Lenny Kravitz

· Oasis

· Sinead O’Connor

· Ozzy Osbourne

· Sade

· A Tribe Called Quest

Cher recently made news by declaring that she would refuse to participate in an induction if she were elected, although her election would not be affected by her willingness, as was proven two years ago when the Hall announced that Parton would not be taken off the ballot despite her then-stated wishes. The country star came around but embraced her exaltation eventually, as many imagine Cher would be likely to.

Still, Cher seemed pretty firm at the time, declaring in December on “The Kelly Clarkson Show”: “You know what, I wouldn’t be in it now if they gave me a million dollars … I’m never going to change my mind. They can just go you-know-what themselves.”

· Mary J. Blige

· Mariah Carey

· Cher

· Dave Matthews Band

· Eric B. & Rakim

· Foreigner

· Peter Frampton

· Jane’s Addiction

· Kool & the Gang

· Lenny Kravitz

· Oasis

· Sinead O’Connor

· Ozzy Osbourne

· Sade

· A Tribe Called Quest

Cher recently made news by declaring that she would refuse to participate in an induction if she were elected, although her election would not be affected by her willingness, as was proven two years ago when the Hall announced that Parton would not be taken off the ballot despite her then-stated wishes. The country star came around but embraced her exaltation eventually, as many imagine Cher would be likely to.

Still, Cher seemed pretty firm at the time, declaring in December on “The Kelly Clarkson Show”: “You know what, I wouldn’t be in it now if they gave me a million dollars … I’m never going to change my mind. They can just go you-know-what themselves.”
Cher---what classless garbage. She's so disgusting, she actually belongs in the useless R&R HOF. Them leaving her out so long is the single shred of appeal it has for me.

· Mary J. Blige

· Mariah Carey

· Cher

· Dave Matthews Band

· Eric B. & Rakim

· Foreigner

· Peter Frampton

· Jane’s Addiction

· Kool & the Gang

· Lenny Kravitz

· Oasis

· Sinead O’Connor

· Ozzy Osbourne

· Sade

· A Tribe Called Quest

How is that sad. Many well deserving people on that list.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT