ADVERTISEMENT

Rumor: Pitino is attempting to flip Ian Jackson

We have an all-american center returning for his 5th year. With the right additions, (and subtraction), we have an opportunity to be just fine next year
Saying that's all you need is different than actually being able to do it. I think the problem is that we are in this situation to begin with and it's going to be hard to get out of it, because it will be a cycle. You'll always be trying to replace half your roster. That's not a good long term plan.

Fingers crossed they are more trustworthy than GG Jackson's father, the preacher, who lied repeatedly to Hubert and Lebo.
Slick Rick, you can fool some of the people sometimes, but not all of them all the time.

Looks like his coach and dad have said he's locked into UNC. However, still another 15 months until he enrolls so a lot can happen.
In the days of NIL, that is an effective bargaining ploy. That's how GG's camp got the most money out of SC by playing off the other bidder.

In the days of NIL, that is an effective bargaining ploy. That's how GG's camp got the most money out of SC by playing off the other bidder.
GG's mom was never on board with him going anywhere except her beloved South Carolina. She's the one that was meeting with South Carolina boosters. She's the one that made GG flip his commitment. And GG ended up miserable, making an IG live a few weeks back talking about how he "already betrayed one school" which was how he ended up feeling about what he did to UNC.

The statements that Ian's dad and Ian's mentor gave to IC last night seem a great deal more reassuring than anything that GG's family ever said after news about his decommit started circulating. Let's just keep our fingers crossed that they hold firm to those statements.

Saying that's all you need is different than actually being able to do it. I think the problem is that we are in this situation to begin with and it's going to be hard to get out of it, because it will be a cycle. You'll always be trying to replace half your roster. That's not a good long term plan.
It definitely is not how we long-time Carolina fans have been used to seeing it, but unfortunately, I believe it is the current landscape of college basketball.

I would much rather build around Baycot than to try to find his replacement in the portal. They're just aren't any All-American centers in the portal for us to recruit.

Whether we have Baycot or not, we need shooters and the bottom third of our roster just transferred. Why not replace them with higher caliber players if possible until our 2024 class shows up (if some show up a year early, all the much better)?

I do agree the result ended up worse, but they was pushed into a corner because Roy turned them down to start. This was calculated **** up!
They nor Dicky were pushed in to a corner, they put themselves in to a corner because they would not listen to Dean and offer big Rick.

In truth, right now today if Hubert were fired there is 1 coach out there that I would circle as my absolute top choice and would open the check book as wide as I needed to to get him. He is not a former UNC coach or UNC player thou he is from the state. It would be a really easy choice for me. But he did run afoul with the NCAA at one time over some phone calls made at the wrong time, which compared to what I have seen from other big time coaches was really a minor thing but he got made and example of. The guy I am thinking of I honestly feel is the best coach in the game today, I believe he is a hall of fame level coach but needs a hall of fame opportunity.

That coach is... You guess! LOL

Reactions: ClarktonHeel
I thought it was his moms doing?
It was, GG's dad said what he wanted and that was consistently GG at UNC, his mom insisted on him going to her school. As Ron White says (cleaned up for public consumption) this portion of my anatomy does not preform that sexual act on it's self! LOL

Reactions: Sk1310
Excited Ric Flair GIF

They nor Dicky were pushed in to a corner, they put themselves in to a corner because they would not listen to Dean and offer big Rick.

In truth, right now today if Hubert were fired there is 1 coach out there that I would circle as my absolute top choice and would open the check book as wide as I needed to to get him. He is not a former UNC coach or UNC player thou he is from the state. It would be a really easy choice for me. But he did run afoul with the NCAA at one time over some phone calls made at the wrong time, which compared to what I have seen from other big time coaches was really a minor thing but he got made and example of. The guy I am thinking of I honestly feel is the best coach in the game today, I believe he is a hall of fame level coach but needs a hall of fame opportunity.

Kelvin Sampson

Kelvin Sampson is a great coach. I agree. But if in some universe Hubert we’re fired tomorrow and the powers-that-be agreed to go outside the family, the first call should go to Jay Wright.

Kelvin Sampson is a great coach. I agree. But if in some universe Hubert we’re fired tomorrow and the powers-that-be agreed to go outside the family, the first call should go to Jay Wright.
Slinger, I would take Kelvin over Jay Wright any day of the week. Being honest, 2 other college coaches (not former UNC guys) I would take before I got to Jay Wright and neither would be popular choices with the Tar Heel faithful simply because I like a lot of the style they play. I would bet that BOTH would be on a popular list of coaches that Tar Heel fans hate the most!

Slinger, I would take Kelvin over Jay Wright any day of the week. Being honest, 2 other college coaches (not former UNC guys) I would take before I got to Jay Wright and neither would be popular choices with the Tar Heel faithful simply because I like a lot of the style they play. I would bet that BOTH would be on a popular list of coaches that Tar Heel fans hate the most!
Can I play again? Rick Barnes?

I remember “the game” as a kid but like what he done recently at Tennessee they play good D with a toughness to them. He normally has a good point and 3 point shooters

Can I play again? Rick Barnes?

I remember “the game” as a kid but like what he done recently at Tennessee they play good D with a toughness to them. He normally has a good point and 3 point shooters
OK, so dude, you have my room bugged or what? LOL You 2 for 2 so far, care to take a stab at going 3 for 3? LOL

Dav we don’t disagree much but heck no. Jay Wright is far and away better than kelvin. I don’t know what it is about KS but imo Jay has the class, knowledge, and pedigree to get it done. To each his own thought. Lol

Reactions: racinheel
No to Rick Barnes. Just no.
Then you REALLY would not like the other coach I referred to! LOL

Bama, can't agree on everything all the time, just see it different. No problem with that! I just prefer a more physical brand of ball, I love a teeth rattling screen set, I love when as dukie drives the lane on us he gets "educated" so that next time he will make a "business decision"! LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: alabamaheel
Who’s the other coaches Dav? Come on with it. No harm in discussing
I already shared that I love a more physical brand of ball, should be a dead give away? Hey, I will round out my top 5 with Jay Wright and Danny Hurley. Not any harm at all but it is just kinda fun to tease it and see you can get it? LOL

Hint, you would right off the bat tell me that he teaches his players to play dirty.

Dave the last sentence of ( you would right off the bat tell me that he teaches his players to play dirty) could be a least five teams which I could think of.

I already shared that I love a more physical brand of ball, should be a dead give away? Hey, I will round out my top 5 with Jay Wright and Danny Hurley. Not any harm at all but it is just kinda fun to tease it and see you can get it? LOL

Hint, you would right off the bat tell me that he teaches his players to play dirty.

I’ll take another stab …Capel?

Capel?

My first thought was Greg McDermott of Creighton.
Dang, you guys are sharp today, yeah, told ya folks would hate those 2! LOL

Isn't it funny how EVERYONE HATES a Tyler Hansbourgh or a Laettner unless he is on their team? What can I tell ya, I like toughness, I like a guy that is not willing to back down in the face of physical play. I LOVED the message Hubert was preaching at the end of regular season last year before we made that NCAAT run to the natty game, go in to the game LOOKING for a fight and be ready for it when it comes, don't start it but make darn sure you end it! WE did not play like that this past season, we played opposing teams that did.

Man, you can't let guys like Burton get away with that nonsense, Burns at State, really, we let him back back back his defender in to the paint and finish over them, oh heck no. After he did that 1 time, from there on out he gets messages sent to him, he has a dental appointment the first thing Monday morning, it was a basketball play, I swear!

Dang, you guys are sharp today, yeah, told ya folks would hate those 2! LOL

Isn't it funny how EVERYONE HATES a Tyler Hansbourgh or a Laettner unless he is on their team? What can I tell ya, I like toughness, I like a guy that is not willing to back down in the face of physical play. I LOVED the message Hubert was preaching at the end of regular season last year before we made that NCAAT run to the natty game, go in to the game LOOKING for a fight and be ready for it when it comes, don't start it but make darn sure you end it! WE did not play like that this past season, we played opposing teams that did.

Man, you can't let guys like Burton get away with that nonsense, Burns at State, really, we let him back back back his defender in to the paint and finish over them, oh heck no. After he did that 1 time, from there on out he gets messages sent to him, he has a dental appointment the first thing Monday morning, it was a basketball play, I swear!
Completely agree with you.

Barnes is a great coach, I know people here don't like him because of him and Dean having a spat but he did that to take a stand against the Carolina machine and what was said to be the bias of the ACC. Also to fire his team up. The man has stones, he seems to run a clean program.

I wouldn't mind seeing Billy Donavan!

First of all, Barnes is 68 years old. Secondly, he’s average. He’s .500 in the NCAA tournament and has been to only 1 FF. And he’s had some really good teams. I do like the way his teams play. But other than him beating us repeatedly, he loses big games. And I’d be lying if I said him getting in Dean’s face hasn’t stuck with me.

I like Billy Donovan a lot.

Reactions: notashelbyfan
Barnes is a great coach, I know people here don't like him because of him and Dean having a spat but he did that to take a stand against the Carolina machine and what was said to be the bias of the ACC. Also to fire his team up. The man has stones, he seems to run a clean program.

I wouldn't mind seeing Billy Donavan!
He definitely didn't run a clean program at Texas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT