ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday night insights (link)

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
I recommend the attached link, if for nothing else the clips of the totally invented foul call on Berry that ended up facilitating OT by adding a bogus FT in the first dook game, and the inexcusable no-call on the missed FT play at the end.

Beside that there are some good prescriptions for Saturday (although I'm not sure Marcus has to take 20 shots --- 15 or so will do).

Here are my keys to victory:

- POUND them inside (again). It works, plus who knows, maybe we'll even get some calls (well OK, who am I kidding?)

- We need a lot of "Good-JP" (playing inside the arc in half-court offense, hitting the offensive and defensive glass, and defending), and little or no "Bad-JP" (ill-advised jump-shots and dicking around on the perimeter).

- Don't be afraid to scramble at select times. Put some occasional pressure on 'em.

- Don't let Cook beat you. NO open looks from deep. His man should never help off the ball in 20 defense. I'll take my chances with our Bigs defending theirs, and on the rest of 'em from 3.

- 25+ minutes of Joel Berry at PG, with at least double-digit minutes on the floor with Paige. We outscored dook 48-40 last time (even with Marcus in foul trouble) with Berry running point and took control of the game. The critical mistake Roy made in switching up and having Nate run point down the stretch cost us dearly, and that's a mistake I doubt Roy makes again.

- MAKE the damned FTs.

Some good insights

When they called that foul on Berry I though it was BS and the replay confirmed that it was a horrible call. Should have been a no-call or an offensive foul on Jones. That one point made a huge difference. Of course if the Heels make the FTs that horrible call could have been just another example of how dook gets the BS calls.

I will give you a name of a kid that just could end up being the story of this game...Theo Pinson...Think back to the Louisville game, we were down near double digits, Theo comes in and all the sudden his activity on both ends, we win that game, Marcus hit the shot but do not under estimate the effect Theo had in helping us get to the point that one shot could win it. I do not believe you will see Ty Jones & Cook driving the lane at ease on us with Joel Berry and Theo Pinson available to play. I hope that foot is 100% !

Originally posted by DSouthr:

I will give you a name of a kid that just could end up being the story of this game...Theo Pinson...Think back to the Louisville game, we were down near double digits, Theo comes in and all the sudden his activity on both ends, we win that game, Marcus hit the shot but do not under estimate the effect Theo had in helping us get to the point that one shot could win it. I do not believe you will see Ty Jones & Cook driving the lane at ease on us with Joel Berry and Theo Pinson available to play. I hope that foot is 100% !
Dave, I was thinking we might get some valuable minutes from Theo --- not gonna count on it obviously, but a spark of his energy and D sure as hell couldn't hurt. He definitely adds to the athletic advantage we have over dook.

Originally posted by gary-7:
I recommend the attached link, if for nothing else the clips of the totally invented foul call on Berry that ended up facilitating OT by adding a bogus FT in the first dook game, and the inexcusable no-call on the missed FT play at the end.

Beside that there are some good prescriptions for Saturday (although I'm not sure Marcus has to take 20 shots --- 15 or so will do).

Here are my keys to victory:

- POUND them inside (again). It works, plus who knows, maybe we'll even get some calls (well OK, who am I kidding?)

- We need a lot of "Good-JP" (playing inside the arc in half-court offense, hitting the offensive and defensive glass, and defending), and little or no "Bad-JP" (ill-advised jump-shots and dicking around on the perimeter).

- Don't be afraid to scramble at select times. Put some occasional pressure on 'em.

- Don't let Cook beat you. NO open looks from deep. His man should never help off the ball in 20 defense. I'll take my chances with our Bigs defending theirs, and on the rest of 'em from 3.

- 25+ minutes of Joel Berry at PG, with at least double-digit minutes on the floor with Paige. We outscored dook 48-40 last time (even with Marcus in foul trouble) with Berry running point and took control of the game. The critical mistake Roy made in switching up and having Nate run point down the stretch cost us dearly, and that's a mistake I doubt Roy makes again.

- MAKE the damned FTs.
Great post, Gary. I love all your keys. I'd go a bit further, and add that I don't think ANY of our guards should leave a shooter on the perimeter to double a post guy. I just don't think there is a way Dook beats us on shots inside the arc.

I agree with the good JP / bad JP comments also. Hope he has his head on right today, because there is just such a vast expanse between what the good JP vs. bad JP delivers for us.

I hope we can get Marcus going some in the first half tonight. Not forced, and I know teams focus on him, but we need to find ways to get him more than 0-2 shots / points in the first half. get some stuff attacking the basket.

We need Brice and Meeks to leave it all out on the floor today. Play strong and aggressive. Try to get them to actually call more than one foul all game on JO.

I'd like to have Tokoto on lockdown mode on Cook for the whole game, but that's probably not realistic. We need to get good defensive outings from guys like Pinson maybe even, and Berry when he is in there. I worry since Marcus is hurt and sort of slow because of it, and Nate just being late in general, that Jones and Cook could give us problems.

Oh well. Some very poor teams have beaten Dook this year or took them to the wire. And the emotion for senior day, and guys back healthy, last regular season game, etc..... emotions/energy/noise should be off the chart. If the Heels come out slow, lethargic, passive, reactive..... I will be VERY disappointed.

Originally posted by DSouthr:

Agreed, Pinson was starting to play well when he went out with injury. He is definitely needed from here on out and glad he's back!

With Berry playing well, we're back to full strength (minus Hubert).

Originally posted by gary-7:
The link is about an Art Chansky article. Maybe I'm missing what you're referencing?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT