ADVERTISEMENT

Skipping the bowl game?

Sorry, but the vast majority of the 40+ bowl games don't mean diddly squat, and our game belongs in that majority. If the young man thinks he can help his pro prospects by skippiong this meaningless game, I have no problem with that at all. If Mitch were to do the same thing, I would support him too.

Sorry, but the vast majority of the 40+ bowl games don't mean diddly squat, and our game belongs in that majority. If the young man thinks he can help his pro prospects by skippiong this meaningless game, I have no problem with that at all. If Mitch were to do the same thing, I would support him too.
Agreed with you on this one, Archer. The real judge of if it's acceptable or not is his teammates. If they're cool with it, everyone else should be.

A lot of folks on TOS taking a holier-than-thou approach and of course participating in the "these kids today!11!!!!" bashing. Yeah, okay whatever. You'd do the same thing in CM's shoes, given that he plays the position with the shortest NFL shelf-life and NFL contracts aren't guaranteed. If you say you'd still play, you're a liar.

Zeke Elliott has condemned McCaffrey and Fournette's decision to skip their bowl game. That type of public resentment from current NFL stars will cull this type of thing. The game will police itself.

The only obligation he has, in my view, is to his teammates and himself.

It sure as hell improves our chances.

Yep! Our chances of not getting drilled just went up a notch. I've watched some of Stanfords games this year,that kid is a hoss.

as a business decision it's perfectly understandable, as a team mate decision it reaks of dookie douchyness.

does the sun bowl take stanford without mccaffrey?

Reactions: JimmyinVA
it's understandable, but it's still a problem. when one of your best players sits out the season finale against a presumably strong opponent this cheats the fans who bought expensive tickets and travel plans, it cheats the teammates out of their best chance to win, and it cheats the coaches who spent hours coaching the star player only to see him bow out at crunch time. one solution might be to take out a million dollar insurance policy for players who are projected to be drafted. it's only for one game so the cost should not be very high per player, and the NFL needs to pay for it because they have leeched off the college game for years as a free farm league.

Baylor RB Shock Linwood is skipping his bowl game. Not exactly a... "wise" decision given his checkered past. His stock ain't exactly high.

If this becomes popular, it will put a huge financial damper on the NCAA's post-season cash windfall!

Last edited:
What will be even more disheartening is to see our defense get torched by a Stanford team without mccaffrey.

Didn't Elliott skip his whole senior season?
Not at all the same, IMO. Everyone on TV and radio keeps making that same point. I think they're completely different.

Foregoing a season, everyone knows ahead of time and you've already completed the minimum 3 years required of you. Skipping a bowl game means you're bailing before the season is over. Big difference.

Outside of an NY6 bowl, I have no issue with players skipping the bowl game. If you're in the playoff, or in a major bowl like the Rose/Orange bowl, then your season isn't over yet. If you're in the Belk Bowl or something of the like - your season is over. It's just the corporate hands trying to money grab that's causing your team to play one more meaningless game.

Agree to disagree.

I'm judging you both.
Yeah, I'm sorry y'all don't like college football.

But BTW, this is why I've steadfastly argued in favor of keeping the bowl system and not going to a playoff, and now especially not going to 8 teams. Saban and Herbstreit are right. The playoff has made most of college football meaningless now (or at least, it's woken people up to the fact that all other games are meaningless). I don't like it.

But BTW, this is why I've steadfastly argued in favor of keeping the bowl system and not going to a playoff, and now especially not going to 8 teams. Saban and Herbstreit are right. The playoff has made most of college football meaningless now (or at least, it's woken people up to the fact that all other games are meaningless). I don't like it.
The college football postseason has been meaningless for a long time now aside from a single game -- or sometimes a couple games -- that determined the national champion(s). That's the argument for expanding the playoff. Make more of the postseason games mean something.

I agree. If there wasn't a playoff I would be super excited about the sun bowl. It's just hard for me to be excited knowing that there is a playoff. Such a shame how a once big time bowl like the sun bowl is now meaningless.

The college football postseason has been meaningless for a long time now aside from a single game -- or sometimes a couple games -- that determined the national champion(s). That's the argument for expanding the playoff. Make more of the postseason games mean something.
Of course they've been meaningless -- in terms of winning the national championship. But the idiot masses never made that connection. Now with the playoff, said masses finally have figured it out.

To me, bowls absolutely still matter, regardless. Less than 10% of the 128 FBS schools are actual contenders for the national championship when the season begins. By y'alls logic, let's just tell those other ~115 FBS schools to just not bother fielding teams.

I'd be totally fine with scrapping bowls though and letting the non-playoff trams with a winning record schedule a one-off game with another team after the regular season, in lieu of a bowl.

I.E., Stanford and us decide to face off in a one-off game in late December for no other reason than for bragging rights, player development, reward to the fanbase and players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT