ADVERTISEMENT

Some stuff going forward...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...that I wanted to throw out there that, IMO, are things to watch for as we hope this team comes together in vintage Roy Williams fashion for March.

- Effort & Execution: I bit the bullet and rewatched most of the Wofford game this afternoon, and it certainly reaffirmed what I saw live, and what Roy and JB harped on in their interviews. The team was largely MIA on the E&E front, and we can't expect to roll the ball out and win because we have North Carolina on our jerseys. I'll take that a step further: Having that name on our jerseys also makes us a big ol' target, and on second watch I noticed even more how Wofford's staff scouted the crap out of us. They treated that game like their Final Four, and credit to 'em for doing that. For example, I mentioned in my post-game thread that we came up lacking in Secondary Break efficiency, and one of the reasons was they were ready for our tricks... and that's a good lesson. Many coaches have said you know you're good when the opponent knows what you're trying to do and they still can't stop you. The key to getting to that point? Effort and execution.

- Theo be a Threat: Speaking of scouting, if I'm coaching against UNC right now I tell my guys to back off Theo, and that's been starting to happen --- and it's a contributing factor in his recent TO issues. Yeah, I know that jacking up 3s is not his game, BUT he has become a non-threat, and that's affecting his play-making. If his defender backs off, suddenly he's trying to pass into 5 sets of hands instead of 4, and that's bad geometry. Like it or not, Theo needs to take the rhythm 3 that comes in the flow, and he needs to make some. Moreover, the other "book" on Theo is that he drives to dish, and teams are expecting him to pass. Thus, he also needs to drive to score, and not just by having to throw up an acrobatic leaner, but by using that athletic ability and dunking on some mofos' heads! Bottom line is a 3-man has to be a legit threat to score before he can be a secondary play-maker.

- Post, Pin and Show... and Defend: It's painfully apparent that our biggest offensive deficit is at the 5 position against legit opponents. I know Kennedy or Brice ain't walking thru the door, but these frosh need to improve in a hurry on the fundamentals of posting strong and wide, pinning the defender on a hip, and showing an open hand for entries. They don't need to dominate, just execute the fundamentals that allow us to be an inside-out team. Same holds true on the other end. They have to learn to be more physical and use their feet in defending. Brooks is very good away from the rim, but none of our 5s are adequate in traditional post defense. Think about it from a team standpoint --- JB and Kenny are simply the best defensive tandem in the business, and when Theo locks in for full possessions the way Roy wants him to the perimeter gets scary, and while Luke will never be great on-ball, he's smart and tough and usually in the right place. We're already a good defensive team. If we can defend better at the 5-hole we can be great. BTW: OSU's Big is a HS rival of Manley's and a stout fella to say the least. I don't think either one was able to stop the other when they faced off.

- What about Cam? The first thing to remember is that Cam's injury is a tougher setback for him to overcome than say, Theo's or Kenny's were because, unlike them, Cam has never played in the Carolina system before... and that's a big deal. He's a smart kid but probably 70% of what we do is free-lance within pre-set principles, and a whole lotta feel goes into that. Plus there are myriad set plays to remember. Just keep in mind it's not always gonna mesh right out of the gate. There will be bumps, but it should be worth it in the long run. The other issue is that Cam playing the role he played at Pitt is not what we need here, and Roy didn't recruit him to be a 6'8 2-guard. We need him to attack the rim and show a mid-range game, as well as shoot from deep. In other words, the closer he can come to a JJ imitation the better off we'll be. One encouraging thing from Weds. was his effort on the defensive end --- and since defense has never been his strong suit, that's a good sign of the right attitude.

- Let Luke be Luke: I love how he's started the season but some of the gaudy early scoring numbers just aren't sustainable, and shouldn't be necessary. Teams are already starting to key on him. Oh, we need him to average a double-double --- but it's the second number that's the most critical for this team. Gimme 16 and 12 and shoot a good percentage inside and we're in business, and of course that stretch ability is a big bonus.

- Kenny be a Killer: Literally the only deficit in KW's game these days is offensive aggression. He's sure as hell efficient. Don't look now, but Kenny is shooting 53.2% --- coincidentally the same percentage in both 2-pt and 3-pt FGs! He's averaging 13.2 ppg, but he goes quiet at times. There's no reason that number couldn't be 15.

- An Offensive Bench: Big Manley has shown some flashes of scoring, but we need more from the bench. Cam obviously makes it better immediately, but in particular, Jalek, BRob and Platek are all very capable scorers and have the capacity to be a bomb-squad. Andrew has played very well overall, but like Kenny, needs to be more assertive offensively. His percentages and ratios are all good, just put it in the score book. Brandon has been pressing and needs to find his flow, and of course, we've talked about Jalek working through his freshman indoctrination at PG. If these three guys start to feel it, we'll be way more dangerous.

- Let the Nasty Dog Eat: Finally, putting it bluntly, when Joel Berry decided to return for his senior season, right then and there we went from a rebuilding team hoping for a 4 or 5 seed to a Final Four contender. One piece of intel from the summer: When Roy had his annual meeting with JB he told him to work on creating more space for his own shot. Now, JB already had the coveted Roy Williams Green Light --- well, that's like a Double-Secret Green Light. It was basically Roy saying, "Son, I trust you to take a shot whenever you think it's right, and I NEED you to score for us." There's probably no way to describe how disappointed in himself JB was over that self-inflicted fluke injury. He was mentally and physically poised for a huge season and that was a big set-back. Hell, how he managed to score 29 at Stanford with that brace on his hand is beyond me, but it definitely affected him, and as Roy said, Joel's been "pressing" since he got it off, trying to be perfect. He's also taken on the burden of wrangling the youngsters. Bottom line is, as things come together an absolute key for us is JB feeling it and having that offensive season he and Roy envisioned. As things progress, his percentages should move back toward what he expected. Dog's already averaging 17 despite the setbacks. I think that needs to be closer to 20 for this particular team to be at its optimum... and I think that's very doable.

Welp, that's my take FWIW. Lessee how it goes. Hopefully we start the rest of the season off right in New Orleans. :cool:

Last edited:
Hard to argue with any of that.

We are very much a work in progress and the continued development of our bigs will go a long way toward determining our final destination. They need to improve in all the areas you mentioned.

And our core four is critical as well. We need three of the four to play well in order for us to beat a good opponent. If two or three of our core four are having off games, we don't have the bigs right now that can make up for that. We may in time but we don't right now. So our core four must produce at a high level every game if we're to have a good chance of winning.

Unlike some others, I wasn't surprised that we lost to Wofford. I just knew we would have some WTF's this year so I wasn't shocked when we did. And I'm mentally prepared for the eventuality of us having another one. It's just a matter of time.

But I look forward to seeing them bounce back against OSU today and watching them improve over the course of the long season.

...that I wanted to throw out there that, IMO, are things to watch for as we hope this team comes together in vintage Roy Williams fashion for March.

OK, so not sure I agree with some of this, Theo, the treys are not going in, they have not gone in solid since he has been a Heel but they are going in even less as of late and frankly they don't look real close. I have said for a while, if I am coaching against us I give Theo that open trey look, even if he makes a couple of them I still dare him. He is missing them for the same reason he always has, his form just is not consistent, he falls away on most all of his treys, it has become more of a throw than a shot. Rather than play in to his weakness, I want him to play in to his strength and his strength is his length being able to put the ball on the floor and see over defenders giving in the ability to find an open man.

Finding an open man is a 2 part deal, first of course is Theo's part of finding them and delivering the ball in a catch able way, yes he can get a little lose with this at times. But the other part is just as critical yet much less discussed, it is that receiver of Theo's attempted pass moving off the ball and presenting Theo with a solid target. When Theo starts to drive guys have to move off the ball, set screens, some one pop open where Theo can see them and just flat be ready for his pass, that does not always happen. Free lance with principles is not free lance it is read and react from both parties.

So, I think we really need to do a better job of execution of that, Theo is a really good facilitator even if he did have a bad game, bad games happen to the best of them. A lot of the execution failings are simply because we have a lot of inexperience, it is like a dance where all 5 partners have to be on the same page of music, let one be off and it throws the whole thing out.

One area of concern for me with our freshman bigs is identifying their block outs and actually blocking them out rather than giving them a lane to the rebound. Luke is really good at this and is the reason his rebound numbers have been so gaudy even given a some what lacking level of athleticism but our freshmen are struggling with it, as expected I should add. But that is the thing of gradual improvement, they tend to ball watch as freshmen do. I do think it is vital that we win the rebounding battles at least on the defensive end, we do give away far to many second chance points and those can be killers.

I think Roy is going to have to trim his rotations, especially now with Cam back I think BRob is going to lose most of his PT and Platek at very least needs to become a rock solid catch and shoot spot up guy or see his little time reduced. Like to see Theo thinking a bit more about drive and kick back out to a spot up as opposed to drive and slip when he can kick to guys like Joel, Kenny, Luke, and Cam.

One aspect of kenny's game this season I really like is he is driving the ball off the catch much more, he is attacking with the dribble and not just settle for the jumper or pass it off and to me that is a real difference maker because it gives us that 3rd guy that can drive with the ball and attack or slip/kick to an open guy. Last season he became just a catch and shoot guy that most often passed up the shot, he has expended that now and I do not want him to revert back.

Finally, a real key to me is getting really good spacing so guys have room and defenses can be spread out, force the over commits from distance and take advantage of them. When you have good spacing and get those clean looks we have to knock them down and I do think we have the guys that can do that both as starters as well as off the bench and their names are not Theo, LOL.

Of course, just in my own opinion...

Agree with the points above and wanted to add some thoughts.

Hustle plays. Winning the 50-50 balls are going to big for us in getting extra possessions and giving us more opportunities to score, also frustrating the heck out of teams because they can't match that scrappiness and unselfishness of our guys.

Rebounding. Our ability to continue to rebound collectively will be a big factor in how we can close out tough ACC games in the 2nd half. This is something that Roy is not only going to preach, but demand. I look forward to seeing how Cam rebounds and I would like to see Sterling really be a big force on the glass, especially the offensive glass as the season continues.

Value the basketball. We have done a very good job of making the extra pass, but at times we have pushed things a little bit with trying to squeeze balls into tight lanes and forcing stuff when we could've reset and then started to attack again. I believe that during our 17-4 run on Wednesday, we didn't turn the ball over once! Ball movement is , but make the smart and right pass is even more important.

As you alluded to Cam is going to be a very valuable piece for us, we know the kid can shoot it which we definitely need him to do at a very high rate, but if he can put the ball on the floor and find others it will make him even more valuable. I said in another post pertaining to Cam that I would really like to see him effectively move without the ball in his hands as Justin did so greatly last year, and even with his feet not totally under him you saw this movement and him trying to find holes, another good sign. Also, defensively we are going to need him to be able to grab boards and keep that same intensity that Kenny and Joel have defending. If we go small with Luke at the 5, Cam's size and length is going to be an important piece in being able to still get rebounds at a high rate and turning that right into our break with 4 deep threats on the floor. For him the biggest thing is just going to be getting more time on the floor with the guys and learning each others tendencies which I believe he will be able to catch onto fairly quick.

Theo as a lockdown defender. Roy has said a couple of times that when Theo turns it on he can be the best defender he has ever coached. I think his play on the defensive end is going to be super important for us in the second Half of the year because if we can have him with his ability to guard anyone from 1-4 it just takes our defense to another level and combining that with Joel and Kenny will make a lot of teams very uncomfortable.

There's two guys I want to see more out of. One is B-Rob i would like to see him come in and score 5-7 points and grab 3-4 boards a game. There's not a question that he plays with energy, but he just needs to play more under control allowing things to come more to him and then he can attack. I thought he was able to do this against Arkansas, Davidson and Western Carolina which were his better performances.

Secondly, Garrison Brooks on the offensive end of the floor, I think it is important for us to have him be more of a steady threat down on the block in order to open more spacing up for Luke, Kenny and Joel to be successful and get theirs against top level competition. If this is even just getting a little better of positioning and forcing his defender to sink lower on the block, that's fine. He doesn't have to take it and score, just get the touch and maybe a double team will be forced leading him to pass it out to an open man.

Lastly, push the tempo. I've noticed that a lot of teams have been able to get us into more half court sets as of late, which is not the worst thing because Virginia and Syracuse will definitely do the same, but with the guys we have and their ability to run the floor we need to continue to get the board and go. You constantly see Roy, yelling to push the ball as he wails his hands because he knows that this team can play at a very fast pace and run a lot of teams off the court. We've seen in a couple of games this year that teams just get tired and have trouble playing with us for 40 minutes which going back to Gary's first point is why our effort and intensity for the entire game is so important.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and gary-7
Agree with the points above and wanted to add some thoughts.

Hustle plays. Winning the 50-50 balls are going to big for us in getting extra possessions and giving us more opportunities to score, also frustrating the heck out of teams because they can't match that scrappiness and unselfishness of our guys.

Rebounding. Our ability to continue to rebound collectively will be a big factor in how we can close out tough ACC games in the 2nd half. This is something that Roy is not only going to preach, but demand. I look forward to seeing how Cam rebounds and I would like to see Sterling really be a big force on the glass, especially the offensive glass as the season continues.

Value the basketball. We have done a very good job of making the extra pass, but at times we have pushed things a little bit with trying to squeeze balls into tight lanes and forcing stuff when we could've reset and then started to attack again. I believe that during our 17-4 run on Wednesday, we didn't turn the ball over once! Ball movement is , but make the smart and right pass is even more important.

As you alluded to Cam is going to be a very valuable piece for us, we know the kid can shoot it which we definitely need him to do at a very high rate, but if he can put the ball on the floor and find others it will make him even more valuable. I said in another post pertaining to Cam that I would really like to see him effectively move without the ball in his hands as Justin did so greatly last year, and even with his feet not totally under him you saw this movement and him trying to find holes, another good sign. Also, defensively we are going to need him to be able to grab boards and keep that same intensity that Kenny and Joel have defending. If we go small with Luke at the 5, Cam's size and length is going to be an important piece in being able to still get rebounds at a high rate and turning that right into our break with 4 deep threats on the floor. For him the biggest thing is just going to be getting more time on the floor with the guys and learning each others tendencies which I believe he will be able to catch onto fairly quick.

Theo as a lockdown defender. Roy has said a couple of times that when Theo turns it on he can be the best defender he has ever coached. I think his play on the defensive end is going to be super important for us in the second Half of the year because if we can have him with his ability to guard anyone from 1-4 it just takes our defense to another level and combining that with Joel and Kenny will make a lot of teams very uncomfortable.

There's two guys I want to see more out of. One is B-Rob i would like to see him come in and score 5-7 points and grab 3-4 boards a game. There's not a question that he plays with energy, but he just needs to play more under control allowing things to come more to him and then he can attack. I thought he was able to do this against Arkansas, Davidson and Western Carolina which were his better performances.

Secondly, Garrison Brooks on the offensive end of the floor, I think it is important for us to have him be more of a steady threat down on the block in order to open more spacing up for Luke, Kenny and Joel to be successful and get theirs against top level competition. If this is even just getting a little better of positioning and forcing his defender to sink lower on the block, that's fine. He doesn't have to take it and score, just get the touch and maybe a double team will be forced leading him to pass it out to an open man.

Lastly, push the tempo. I've noticed that a lot of teams have been able to get us into more half court sets as of late, which is not the worst thing because Virginia and Syracuse will definitely do the same, but with the guys we have and their ability to run the floor we need to continue to get the board and go. You constantly see Roy, yelling to push the ball as he wails his hands because he knows that this team can play at a very fast pace and run a lot of teams off the court. We've seen in a couple of games this year that teams just get tired and have trouble playing with us for 40 minutes which going back to Gary's first point is why our effort and intensity for the entire game is so important.
All good points, Frank.

I agree with Theo. The guy was playing about 7 feet off him on the perimeter a lot today and I cringed when Theo stepped inside the arc to jack a long 2 and miss. He started the game with that 3 but followed it up with 2 turnovers. I know Theo's thing is risky passes but they are waiting on them now.

Also, Franktheheel mentioned the Cam movement thing. Cam is staying relatively stationary a lot on offense and just standing in a spot. Can't really do that in our offense.

Reactions: gauchoheel
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT