ADVERTISEMENT

Sorry to say this about Sam....

Our scoring D is ranked 111th in the nation. That is after last night. Even with those people out, Pitt should have done better than they did. Don't know if we were just being overlooked, Pitt just had a bad game or some other reason, but if I was Pitt I wouldn't put this in the good game column.
To me, it felt like they took they're foot off the gas after jumping out to 17-0 lead.

To me, it felt like they took they're foot off the gas after jumping out to 17-0 lead.
They may have...but, it should have been apparent by the 3rd quarter that they were in trouble. The UNC defense played well after the 1st quarter.

I keep hearing "Don't expect Sam to play in the bowl game."

Okay... why should he play a week from Saturday against Wofford, or even NCSU, for that matter? You can have a career-ending injury playing Loser-Bird College just as easily as playing Powerhouse University.

If he is going to the NFL, why are the bowl games so dangerous?

Last edited:
Reactions: JimmyinVA

Okay... why should he play a week from Saturday against Wofford, or even NCSU, for that matter? You can have a career-ending injury playing Loser-Bird College just as easily as playing Powerhouse University.

TRUE!

We've had a horde of people the past couple years defending those who desert their teammates at bowl time. If that logic and morality are correct, then they apply to every regular season game after the team can no longer win its division or conference championship.

We went over this last year in multiple threads. I will say Sam sitting out some shit bowl is different than sitting out the biggest bowl in the history of the program.

We went over this last year in multiple threads. I will say Sam sitting out some shit bowl is different than sitting out the biggest bowl in the history of the program.
To me, the bowl game is the reward game of the season. Why play any of the regular season games if you're going to skip the reward game? It doesn't make any sense to me. Why play at all, for that matter.

And, as @TarHeelMark said, Sam doesn't seem like the type of player to quit on his team.

I have two thoughts (like opinions, they don't mean much). If Sam is in fact going pro, then stay out of the bowl game and lets see how Criswell/Maye can do. It might be good for the program in the long run. If by some chance, Sam decides to return (like the Pitt QB), then play in the bowl game. And we know its not going to be a major bowl--just a good tune up for the off season and next year.

I have two thoughts (like opinions, they don't mean much). If Sam is in fact going pro, then stay out of the bowl game and lets see how Criswell/Maye can do. It might be good for the program in the long run. If by some chance, Sam decides to return (like the Pitt QB), then play in the bowl game. And we know its not going to be a major bowl--just a good tune up for the off season and next year.

If the OL wasn’t so bad I think you could make a decent case for him coming back. He would definitely be the top QB taken next year and might even be able to have a run at the #1 pick. But you can’t risk it when the OL is so bad that you spend the entire game running for your life. Any upside of moving up the draft board is cancelled out by the risk of injury.

If the OL wasn’t so bad I think you could make a decent case for him coming back. He would definitely be the top QB taken next year and might even be able to have a run at the #1 pick. But you can’t risk it when the OL is so bad that you spend the entire game running for your life. Any upside of moving up the draft board is cancelled out by the risk of injury.
Is the oline going to be worse next year?

I don't see much reason to think they will be any better. Most of the guys on the line already had experience coming into this year. Maybe a better OL coach could turn things around without a complete personnel overhaul.
I don't think there will be any coaching staff changes.

I don't see much reason to think they will be any better. Most of the guys on the line already had experience coming into this year. Maybe a better OL coach could turn things around without a complete personnel overhaul.
3 of the 5 OL are graduating. Would hope Mack dips into the portal for an experienced guy or two on the OL. Really hope Hampton gets a shot next year as he is a Javonte Williams clone. The other frosh, Pettaway, is a lot like Michael Carter. I think we'll have backs that can hide the deficiencies of the OL (like 2020). What we'll need are some WR's to step up alongside #11. Maye has all the entangles to be a great Q, size, arm, toughness etc. A lot of new faces coming in 2022, should be interesting.

3 of the 5 OL are graduating. Would hope Mack dips into the portal for an experienced guy or two on the OL. Really hope Hampton gets a shot next year as he is a Javonte Williams clone. The other frosh, Pettaway, is a lot like Michael Carter. I think we'll have backs that can hide the deficiencies of the OL (like 2020). What we'll need are some WR's to step up alongside #11. Maye has all the entangles to be a great Q, size, arm, toughness etc. A lot of new faces coming in 2022, should be interesting.

What concerns me is that the more experienced upperclassmen seem to have actually gotten worse, and the younger guys haven't been able to bump them off the starting spots. So while there will be room for fresh blood when those guys graduate, I'm not super confident that anyone stepping into the job will be much better.

I agree there is a lot of up and coming talent at RB. And we do definitely need to develop some more WR's. But we also need a bigger playbook with more options for beating pressure and getting the ball out quickly.

Reactions: tarheel0910
from the many things we've heard on these threads i don't see the O line improving under Searles. sounds like the guys aren't really listening to him anymore, maybe he plays favorites and doesn't develop the non-favorites (not sure he develops the favorites either). the O line doesn't appear to be that strong, quick or nasty, lots of penalties, lots of missed blocks/assignments and don't stay engaged. if we keep Searles i'm doubting we see improvement.

i feel like green and olson are coming along and if beau comes back we might be better off than expected at WR

from the many things we've heard on these threads i don't see the O line improving under Searles. sounds like the guys aren't really listening to him anymore, maybe he plays favorites and doesn't develop the non-favorites (not sure he develops the favorites either). the O line doesn't appear to be that strong, quick or nasty, lots of penalties, lots of missed blocks/assignments and don't stay engaged. if we keep Searles i'm doubting we see improvement.

i feel like green and olson are coming along and if beau comes back we might be better off than expected at WR
I had assumed that Green would be at the start of the season what we've seen lately. Olson has come along well, and Downs has All-American talent - if we have a QB who can pass well.

For next year's team to win the Coastal, we need: a QB who can pass well, across the field and deep; at least 2 more WRs in addition to Downs, Green, and Olson who make catches and blocks; new plays to use TEs more; a decidedly better OL; a pair (or trio) of RBs who provide better results than Chandler and Jones have; and a smarter and more fundamentally sound D.

The players will have the potential to do all that. But will the coaches get them to reach their potential?

Reactions: riverswe
Is Criswell so much better than Maye?

I keep wondering if Maye passed on Alabama to come to UNC, would he play backseat QB for 2 years?

not sure i understand the criswell/maye QB situation. seems like everyone thinks maye is going to be the guy moving forward (i'm on that train as well) but he's clearly the 3rd option this season. are they thinking they don't want to burn a redshirt season? either way we've done very little to get criswell or maye ready

i would be very surprised if we have both maye and criswell next season

Criswell has more experience and is probably less likely to make a mistake at this point. Especially when he's only coming in for a single play like he has a few times this year. And Longo always goes draw or read option in those situations anyways. I don't think that's an indication that the staff is expecting Criswell to take over next year.

What concerns me is that the more experienced upperclassmen seem to have actually gotten worse, and the younger guys haven't been able to bump them off the starting spots. So while there will be room for fresh blood when those guys graduate, I'm not super confident that anyone stepping into the job will be much better.

I agree there is a lot of up and coming talent at RB. And we do definitely need to develop some more WR's. But we also need a bigger playbook with more options for beating pressure and getting the ball out quickly.
The young guys really haven't gotten a chance, so I'm still optimistic on guys like Sutton, Zimmerman, Baker, Adorno in addition to Rice coming in next year.

Side note. Am I the only one that laughs when Longo looks down at his "play call" piece of paper? That thing is as big as a sticky note.

Reactions: blazers
Sam is participating in the Senior Day festivities on Saturday so he is 100% going to the NFL. He's a little banged up from this past week -- would like to see UNC trot out Maye against Wofford and let Howell heal up for Raleigh.

What is interesting is that Beau Corrales, Antoine Green, William Barnes and Brian Anderson are not on the list.

Rumor out there that Sam is declaring for the draft soon and may not play again this season.

Rumor out there that Sam is declaring for the draft soon and may not play again this season.
That would be a tragic way for the best QB in school history to go out. But... it would be a perfect metaphor for UNC Football, as a program.

ETA: If this is true, it reveals a huge disappointment in the Mack Brown hire. After 3 seasons, you have the best QB in school history deciding to quit on the team before the season even ends! That screams "ineffective", to me.

Last edited:
Gonna be painful to read the "Sam who?" responses for the next two decades until a better UNC qb comes along.

Ezuedu is probably our next best pro prospect. Sam is probably watching him saying "if you go I go". No EZ means even more sacks.

What I'm hearing is he may not play vs Wofford due to upper body injury. Since he's included in senior day ceremonies, then he's definitely going pro. Don't blame him.

I'd still bet he'll be back to beat moo one more time, and then finish up with a bowl win. 😃

What I'm hearing is he may not play vs Wofford due to upper body injury. Since he's included in senior day ceremonies, then he's definitely going pro. Don't blame him.

I'd still bet he'll be back to beat moo one more time, and then finish up with a bowl win. 😃
That sounds more like Sam, to me.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
I'm sure he's banged up after the pitt game. Getting a week off would be good for him. And if we can't beat 1-9 Wofford with Criswell / Maye, then we don't deserve a crappy bowl game anyway.

I'm sure he's banged up after the pitt game. Getting a week off would be good for him. And if we can't beat 1-9 Wofford with Criswell / Maye, then we don't deserve a crappy bowl game anyway.
Not sure how much they showed on TV, but I could tell he was having issues during the WF game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT