ADVERTISEMENT

Starting Positions - Whose to Lose?

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
Some starting positions seem pretty secure in the sense that they are somebody's to lose. Other's not so much.

PG is Elliot's to lose, and it seems unlikely anyone will beat him out.
SG is RJ's to lose and while I doubt that will happen, he may need to give up a few minutes of PT to Ian.
SF is less clear to me. Probably Cade's to lose, but there are both smaller and bigger alternatives sniffing that spot.
PF? I have no idea. JWit may have the inside track, but is it his to lose? Maybe Lubin?
C is JWash's to lose, but he's by no means as secure in that position as Elliot and RJ are in theirs, imo.

That's my take. What do you guys think? No hard feelings if you disagree.

Reactions: vbrs and TPFKAPFS
Some starting positions seem pretty secure in the sense that they are somebody's to lose. Other's not so much.

SG is RJ's to lose and while I doubt that will happen, he may need to give up a few minutes of PT to Ian.
SF is less clear to me. Probably Cade's to lose, but there are both smaller and bigger alternatives sniffing that spot.
PF? I have no idea. JWit may have the inside track, but is it his to lose? Maybe Lubin?
C is JWash's to lose, but he's by no means as secure in that position as Elliot and RJ are in theirs, imo.

Yeah, that is my starting line up as well, I do think it is a coin flip between Lubin and JWit for the starting 4 spot, I slightly prefer JWit to start there even with my opinion being Lubin may be the better player and the more minutes.

If you watched the player interviews you probably noticed JWit's voice. When his playing days are behind him, he might have a career in broadcast, acting or audiobook narration. That good.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS

PG: Cadeau
SG: Davis
SF: Jackson or Powell
Stretch 4: Tyson or Withers
C: Washington or Lubin

After watching one practice Jon Rothstein predicted Cadeau, Davis, Jackson, Tyson, Lubin.

After watching two practices Jonathon Givony predicted Cadeau, Davis, Powell, Tyson, Washington.

The consensus seems to be that one of the freshmen is going to take the open wing spot, Tyson has the edge at the stretch 4, and Washington and Lubin are really battling it out for those center minutes.

And keep in mind that we have a ridiculous amount of perimeter talent in Cadeau, Davis, Trimble, Jackson, Powell, and Tyson. The only way all 6 get the minutes they deserve is if we play mostly small ball with Tyson playing nearly all of his minutes at the 4.

If Tyson were to start at the 3 and play lots of minutes at the 3, then one of the other perimeter players would basically not play at all.

And keep in mind that we have a ridiculous amount of perimeter talent in Cadeau, Davis, Trimble, Jackson, Powell, and Tyson. The only way all 6 get the minutes they deserve is if we play mostly small ball with Tyson playing nearly all of his minutes at the 4.

If Tyson were to start at the 3 and play lots of minutes at the 3, then one of the other perimeter players would basically not play at all.
It’s been a while since we’ve had some decent talent to come off the bench, that could also produce better than the starters at times.

Start: EC, RJ, Cade, JWit, JWash!
All D: Seth, RJ, Drake, JWit, JWash
Small: EC, RJ, Cap, Drake/Cade, Lubin/JWit
Jumbo: Seth, Drake, Cade, Lubin, JWash
All shooters: RJ, Cap, Drake, Cade, JWash

Start: EC, RJ, Cade, JWit, JWash!
All D: Seth, RJ, Drake, JWit, JWash
Small: EC, RJ, Cap, Drake/Cade, Lubin/JWit
Jumbo: Seth, Drake, Cade, Lubin, JWash
All shooters: RJ, Cap, Drake, Cade, JWash
I have never really been comfortable with that label "starter", for me the more important thing is who gets the minutes more than who begins the game. Every game takes on it's own unique identity, even true for the second time you play the very same team. I want my 5 most effective players on the floor at crunch time for that particular game may or may not be the guys that started the game.

Most teams bring in guys off the bench hoping there is not a huge drop off until they can get their starters back in, we to have been in that situation many seasons. But what TP has shared is to me a vital point, a new way forward, a break of the old mold. I like, rather than sub a guy in and hope for no drop off, I like bring in a group that changes your dynamic (does not need to be a 5 man sub). This can radically change how the other team attacks, teams hate that.

Teams want to game plan for you to attack your primary looks, you go from the "starter" group (using TPs labels) to a flat out net scorching shooting team or a lock down defensive team, or a great running team, a jumbo look, a small ball look. That is akin to Dean's old multiple defenses that kept opposing teams consistently off balance, just as they adapt to one style Dean thru another one at them. You want the other team to have to first figure out what you are doing, keep them having to think and by the time they figure out what you were doing to change into a totally different look. If they are having to first think they are not able to play comfortably and free.

What Dean did that was genius is that he went multiple on the defensive end, on the offensive end he demanded the pace be white hot so that we could get our breaks rolling but if the break was called off we went directly into our motion offense, everyone moving and screening. Keep in mind, most of Dean's career was without the 3pt line and even when it did come Dean considered the 3pt shot to be a bad shot, he wanted high % shots and the trey was not a high % shot in the early days of it, even when it was closer than it is now. But today the 3pt shot is being hit at near 40% by solid but maybe not great shooters, so going to multiple looks for the offensive end is now possible.

The other real key is amping up the pace, amping it up on BOTH ends! I like what players have been saying in the media day interviews, 3 seconds to cross half court or you lose possession of the ball, even off made baskets! But now I did hear similar last season and it really didn't happen, Cadeau pushed it but if he wasn't in we were going to be in a lot of half court, disappointed me to see that. We go a solid 9 deep right now and maybe 10 if I include Claude. White hot pace on BOTH ends REQUIRES you to constantly bring in fresh legs, very few teams can do that and not see a huge drop off, by using the type of rotation approach that TP has tried to outline forces the other team to match us and kill their legs. And I have not even mentioned the benefit it gives you by keeping your bench more involved in the game, knowing they are about to hear their number called and how that plays in to developing those guys coming off the bench for larger roles that season or future seasons, it is the kind of system recruits love to play in.

• Love
Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Exactly! Not the line change but the piece change and the shuffle of roles! If player X comes in, I slide to 2 or 3 and I defend their primary scorer! If player Y comes in, I slide to the bench or the 4 and I concentrate on rebounding/ guarding a bigger guy! We keep the spiral going all game with 9-10 peeps getting significant time!

Reactions: DSouthr
It could take him a year but if there's a "most likely to explode" category, he's my pick. He may not be "there" yet, like Ian is supposed to be, but the upside potential seems stratospheric.
I'd like to see Ian, Drake, EC, Wash and Tyson otf together ... I'm just looking forward to see this group play in a game. Also interested in seeing how HD plays his rotation too. Will he be Coach Davis or hubcap this year?

New interview with Cade Tyson is up on the other site. He says he's put on a good amount of weight in the offseason, and he feels better playing in the post and rebounding. He's really concentrating on rebounding. He also talks about the Brady Manek comparisons.

New interview with Cade Tyson is up on the other site. He says he's put on a good amount of weight in the offseason, and he feels better playing in the post and rebounding. He's really concentrating on rebounding. He also talks about the Brady Manek comparisons.

He looks bigger than he did last year at Belmont but the UNC athletics site has him listed as 5 pounds lighter 😑

He looks bigger than he did last year at Belmont but the UNC athletics site has him listed as 5 pounds lighter 😑
UNC official heights and weights have been suspect my whole life. Cade says he's put on weight and I believe him. Perhaps he ran so much at Belmont last year that he finished the season weighing significantly less than he started?

He has broad shoulders that can easily carry more muscle. His brother was a beast as an upperclassmen and I think Cade will follow his lead in the weight room. He plays most of his minutes as a 4 while at Carolina

I'm not putting RJ on an all defensive team because of his lack of size and length. EC is similar size but gives you much more pg offense with that group. jmo
I can understand not putting RJ on the all d team but that has nothing to do with the offense for EC to be on there. Personally I wouldn’t put the two freshman on there until they’ve played against college players. EC got his eyes opened last year to the big boy game and now peeps are doing the same thing with our two new hall o famers. I hope they live up to half of what people are expecting.

I can understand not putting RJ on the all d team but that has nothing to do with the offense for EC to be on there. Personally I wouldn’t put the two freshman on there until they’ve played against college players.
Yeah .. I guess you're right. If I wanted to go pure D I'd put Lubin/Wit/Wash on the front line with Seth and Drake at the guards. Anybody that tried the lane would either get stuffed by Wash or body bagged by Wit and Lubin. 😁

Yeah .. I guess you're right. If I wanted to go pure D I'd put Lubin/Wit/Wash on the front line with Seth and Drake at the guards. Anybody that tried the lane would either get stuffed by Wash or body bagged by Wit and Lubin. 😁
7'2 dook guy or 7'9 dude @ florida or Kansas big guy says hello & I doubt it

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT