ADVERTISEMENT

Stats and stuff (Wake game)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very true but you also have to remember Sterling had a compound leg fracture in Feb. of 2016 and that could be a factor in his lack of leg strength. I worked with a guy that had knee surgery after separating the shin tendon from his knee cap and it was almost a year before he could walk without assistance and I'm sure a compound fracture is similarly debilitating. I'm pleasantly surprised he has progressed as much as he has. We will all be glad he's a Tar Heel before his college career is over .. bank it. jmho
As was stated above, we have been spoiled by having bigs who could routinely convert inside. That isn't a given with this team, and that is very unusual for a UNC team. But our bigs are learning every game, and they are growing stronger daily.

The future looks bright, and the present is pretty darn good too. Keep your expectations in check and enjoy the ride.

I hope I'm misunderstanding your post. You're not really saying Luke & Cam's play is hurting this team are you? Without Luke we'd be in serious trouble. His 17 points & 15 rebounds are much more than we got out of the power forward position last year on a regular basis. Cam is a big asset to this team. Without him, we're a very different team going forward & not in a good way. If I misunderstood what you were saying, I apologize in advance.

I accept your apology because I was not saying that.

Yeah, Kennedy was bad to miss layups last season as well, but he had the size and ability to keep tipping it until he scored. The current guys don't have that luxury.

Finishing strong around the rim is Luke's main remaining chink in his game. There are indeed situations in which he could go ahead and dunk, and he's athletic enough to do so. And the younguns stiil haven't figured out how to make themselves big and clear space inside.
I agree Meeks fight at the rim helped us win the ship last year him and Hicks along with Bradley was so good. I know it will improve just have to have patience with this group

Reactions: FranktheHeel
All good insight. To summarize, as much as Roy wants to play some of our young bigs, they simply aren’t capable right now and we are already in ACC play. Brooks is the only one who can be productive on both ends for us consistently. We need more of the small ball line up.

Nice analysis, Gary. In my opinion, the Heels are at their best when they are attacking the rim. They need to do that more and resist the urge to settle for 3's early in the shot clock.

Cam being back has definitely helped the offense. Hopefully the young bigs will continue to develop on both offense and defense.

First, I’m gonna start off with this I will take a win any day of the week. And like Theo said “Every ACC game is gonna be tough and its better to learn a lesson with a win.

Great call on the trap with Joel and Cam that lead to a Kenny steal and flush!!

Yes, the game was sloppy and we missed many opportunities many of which should’ve been converted ( wow, Gary I can’t believe those numbers) and usually are, but to pull that game out down by 4 with 2 min left and to get the stops we needed down the stretch really shows something about our guys. You can say grit, fight and want but I’m gonna go with heart.

One of the big things that I thought coming in is that we would have an advantage on was on the glass and I was very happy to see that we did and also didn’t allow one second chance point while scoring 16 of our own. And we also had 14 offensive rebounds ourselves.

The biggest concern of mine is that we aren’t getting the ball inside, so I’ve been thinking about it and I think more importantly than getting it inside which we really aren’t able to do right now, it’s being able to get the ball in the lane with drives from the perimter. We need Joel and Theo to be able to do this because we need that balance attack and have to keep the D honest and not totally push up out onto the perimeter. I really believe that this will force the defense to collapse on the driver and allow us to pass it out to someone for an even better look from three or even inside the arch.

I think we need to have more movement off the ball, in the games that we have done this we have been very successful and it will be important against lengthy and big teams where we will have trouble getting the ball inside and attacking off our main set.

The spark from the small ball lineup or as Gary says the Bomb Squad, was great at the end of the 1st half on an 11-3 run and to finish the game out on an 8-0 run, that lineup can do a lot of damage. I also really like it being used like this to end the half and the game.

Joel Berry- CLUTCH!! Kids a fighter, 6 rebounds from him is awesome. I love when he goes up to get a board and comes out of the scuffle with the ball. I listened to his presser and he said how he floated it up from where he did to avoid the charge and avoid it getting blocked from Wake’s big who was a force inside. This goes to show you how knowledgeable of a player he is and how he sees things throughout the game, learns from them and makes the adjustment when it needs to be done.

Theo, “Daddy” stepped up in the last few minutes picking up a huge Offensive board around the 2 min mark and than that beautiful, I’m gonna say it again, beautiful feed to Luuuke for the 2. He played extreemly well in the last two minutes, with 2 defensive rebounds too. The kid was knocked around the whole game, but still came in and got the job done in the end, gritty! 8 points, 7 rebs and 6 assists, that’s stuffing the stat sheets.

I have to say I thought Garrison did a nice job on the defensive end and was impressed that he had 5 offensive rebounds too. Offensively, he just needs more time, he will continue to get better and I think it’s also very difficult for him since he really is a 4 and is going up against predominatly 5s.

16 and 5 from Cam with 3/4 shooting from 3 is exactly what we need. I really enjoy watching him play, his shot is very smooth and you could see him giving his all on the defensive end, he had a couple of tipped passes. I think he will be a huge piece for us the rest of the season and his impact is going to help us in a lot of close, hard fought games. As he gets more acclimated to playing with our guys and they start to understand his tendencies, we will really be deadly with him on the floor, you saw us today being able to find him better than previous games. Having him on the floor also helps in attacking the basket more because he is going to attrack a good deal of attention on the perimeter from the Defense, allowing Joel and Theo to get to the rack.

Luke Maye is a workhorse. I wanted to really pay attention to him today and he impressed, he constantly fights for position and moves without the ball. Another skill of his that goes unnoticed is his screening, Luke is a very good screener and creates good space for not only the ball handler, but himself, there’s a reason he’s very good in the pick and pop. 15 rebounds today was absolutely huge for us. Whatever he lacks in size and length, he does a nice job of making up for in hustling and not giving in, he’s relentless.

Lastly, wine and cheese crowd, stopppppp, I was there today and may I say the place was packed and the crowd was totally into it, JUMP AROUND gets me going everytime, there’s nothing better than Carolina fans and a Win in the Smith Center.

1-0 in ACC play, way to end the “Old Year”, an absolutely great year for us Heels fans with a bang!!

Last edited:
I've noticed in a few of the games that they are able to build a 4 or 6 point lead, but then will have a few empty possessions on offense, which allows the opposing team to get back in it. They really need some good offensive sets with high percentage shots in those situations to build the lead and hopefully put the team away.

Here are some numbers from our small ball lineup which has been successful and I think is a huge weapon that Roy has in his back of tricks. At this point in the year, I really think that the group of Joel, Kenny, Cam, Theo and Luke is the lineup that needs to be out there in crunch time with the game on the line. And even with Cam just coming back, there is some good chemsitry with this unit that will only get stronger with time. Also, this lineup consists of 5 guys who are experienced in playing in the ACC and know the effort and intensity that it takes night in and night out to win games.
In the last three games, this lineup has also outscored opponents, 54-20 too. I also thought it was interesting that Luke has been really successful in this lineup, he has scored 16 points on 5-5 shooting and 2-2 from 3 point range. This has to be due to the effect of Cam providing more spacing while on the floor allowing Luke to have some more room to operate which is really key for us. This lineup also is able to get into the lane more successfully, so it is providing us with a more balanced attack that we need moving on in ACC play.

A thought to think about- Theo mentioned in his presser how he was able to get to the rim at the end of the game a little easier because he was being guarded by a 4. This had me thinking that this lineup also benefits Theo in allowing him to have an advantage against 4s which he is quicker than and can have an easier time taking off the dribble allowing him to get into the lane and make plays for himself and the team, it certainly showed in the crunch time minutes today.

Last edited:
This is definitely our best lineup. I don't expect Roy to give up on the bigs this early in the season. He wants them to play & improve early on. If they don't improve substantially, I expect him to go with this lineup later in the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: TPFKAPFS and gary-7
A thought to think about- Theo mentioned in his presser how he was able to get to the rim at the end of the game a little easier because he was being guarded by a 4. This had me thinking that this lineup also benefits Theo in allowing him to have an advantage against 4s which he is quicker than and can have an easier time taking off the dribble allowing him to get into the lane and make plays for himself and the team, it certainly showed in the crunch time minutes today.
That is a very good point to remember: basketball games are often about matchups, and thus there are trade-offs with any configuration. Although it was obvious frm the start of the season that Roy would start games Hybrid with Luke as a Stretch-4, I've been anticipating what would happen with Luke sliding to the 5.

First, lemme say I will never call it the "Death" lineup, because 1. the Warriors already currently use the term, and 2. frankly, it's just a dumb name. I call it the Bomb Squad because we can rain terror from long distance, with the tradeoff that we hafta hope we don't get blow'd up on the boards in the process.:D

Roy will not --- and should not --- give up on having at least one traditional Big on the floor to start. HOWEVER... the Bomb Squad is a weapon that I'm sure we'll see more of as games get more meaningful. Caveat is, we have to remember there are limits as to how much we can utilize it, if nothing else because of Luke's vital role in it --- and the fact we can't play him 40 minutes, after all.

But boy, is it a temptation. Cam's presence immediately spreads the floor, and the Core Four gives us the ability to defend beyond their physial stature.

Lol apparently I'm a "know nothing" because talking about "blown assists" sounds like the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

The concept is fairly easy, what should have been a finished assist does not end up finished. Just not sure I see all the blown assists I see added up. I mean a pass to the wrong guys and he does finish is not IMO a blown assist, especially if it is a guy not looking for the ball. Point being, I think it is a stat look that can easlily be skewed in either a positive or negative light but on the wrong player. Example (just making this up), Jalek passes the ball to Huff on the dead run and Huff fumbles it away, you could call that a blown assist, in fact it is a TO and a poor decision of who to pass the ball to in a particular situation. You have to understand your team mates particular strengths and weaknesses. There are spots, angles for example that Kenny prefers to receive the ball from that allows him to confidently go in to his shooting motion, you have to understand where and how he likes it.

Not so sure that it's not strength as much as conditioning .. or technique. Just appears from what I've seen Sterling simply just gets pushed out of position and can't really lock down a good spot, and present a good target to pass in to. Young man has the body to be a star in both college and maybe even the pro's but he has some growing to do .. which I think he will do sooner rather than later, hopefully. jmho

Totally agree, they both, Walker as well, will really benefit from the next off season time they spend in our S/C program. For this season, stamina can be increased but the real strength aspect IMO wil take the next off season to address to see much improvement (in strength).

Reactions: shun1
Brace yourselves. This is not a good team by unc standards. Way too soft and short of talent inside. Coach will get the best out of them possible but be prepared for 6-8 conf losses. Several years of being unable to land elite bigs has caught up. But i’ll gladly take our lumps this year with a natty in our pocket and a very bright future.

Brace yourselves. This is not a good team by unc standards. Way too soft and short of talent inside. Coach will get the best out of them possible but be prepared for 6-8 conf losses. Several years of being unable to land elite bigs has caught up. But i’ll gladly take our lumps this year with a natty in our pocket and a very bright future.
I don't believe there'll be quite that much need for bracing.

I understand that we are soft inside and we are hurting in that part of the game but am I the only one that thinks that losing JJ was head and shoulders worse!

We have 1 player right now that can get there own shot at anytime and last year we had 2 with JJ and JB2 , and if we still had him our big would appear so much better than they really are.

JMO!

The Godfather of mafia Know-Nothings . .

sgt-hans-schultz.jpg

How many coaches would you hear say some of the things Roy said:

"We weren't the best coached team today."
"I didn't see a lineup that I liked today."

"Luke had 17 and 15 but he didn't play well. That means I have high expectations for him."

"Joel had 16 and he didn't play well either."

I love Roy. He knows we didn't get the kind of effort that we're going to need to compete for the ACC. We have to play harder and smarter. And we will. I wouldn't trade our coach for any other coach in the country.

I’m very happy that you brought this up. The way he handled himself there is exactly a reason why I respect him so much, he not only said how he thought his players didn't perform at their highest level, but also himself, you won't meet a more humble person than him. Also, how many coaches would’ve called a timeout on the last possession, but he didn’t he had confidence in his guys, was able to call out the play he wanted and allowed them to play it out which kept the flow of the game on our side and allowed Joel to do what he does best, be the go to guy and get the job done, why because Joel and Roy have built that trust and confidence in each other where they are on the same page which is so important out of your Senior leader.
Roy always gives his players credit when credit is due, however he knows which buttons to push when he wants a little more out of them. And like I said last week, he is a teacher, if he’s going to go small, he’s going to get his guys to be active on the boards and be able to hold their own defensively if he feels that needs to be the area of focus, he will push his guys to get better at it. At the beginning of the year, Roy really stressed rebounding and up to this point we have done a really nice job on the glass, in particular not allowing a lot of offensive rebounds and second chance points.
In saying this I thought Roy made the right decision at the end of the game with the guys he had on the floor (I think some of us would've even liked to see us go to it a little earlier on) and the plays they ran, what really stood out to me was the switches on the defensive end at the end of the game and how we did it like a well oiled machine. I just rewatched the last 2 minutes and Kenny fronting Moore denying him the ball in the post at the one minute mark was a great display of how important Kenny is to us and how much Roy really knows his guys when he said last year that Kenny was the best perimeter defender and how he has really evolved into an absolute lockdown one this year. This goes back to another point, the reason Roy is so great is that he develops his guys, he is able to find their weaknesses and try to get them to improve on them through time and experience while also using their strengths and really honing in on them making them do them at such a high level. He gives his guys opportunities to show what they can do, giving them the confidence that they need down the road in order to develop into something special. And the most recent and perfect example is Luuuuuke!
The great thing about him is that he is going to continuously push our guys to get the effort and intensity that he wants out of them through constant repetition and teaching.

Just an aside, when I was at the museum yesterday I listened to this video of Joel talking about Coach, he went on to say how sometimes when they are in meetings that Coach starts to cry because he is so invested and passionate about what he believes in and really cares about his guys getting it right. Gotta love Ole Roy!

I’m very happy that you brought this up. The way he handled himself there is exactly a reason why I respect him so much, he not only said how he thought his players didn't perform at their highest level, but also himself, you won't meet a more humble person than him. Also, how many coaches would’ve called a timeout on the last possession, but he didn’t he had confidence in his guys, was able to call out the play he wanted and allowed them to play it out which kept the flow of the game on our side and allowed Joel to do what he does best, be the go to guy and get the job done, why because Joel and Roy have built that trust and confidence in each other where they are on the same page which is so important out of your Senior leader.
Roy always gives his players credit when credit is due, however he knows which buttons to push when he wants a little more out of them. And like I said last week, he is a teacher, if he’s going to go small, he’s going to get his guys to be active on the boards and be able to hold their own defensively if he feels that needs to be the area of focus, he will push his guys to get better at it. At the beginning of the year, Roy really stressed rebounding and up to this point we have done a really nice job on the glass, in particular not allowing a lot of offensive rebounds and second chance points.
In saying this I thought Roy made the right decision at the end of the game with the guys he had on the floor (I think some of us would've even liked to see us go to it a little earlier on) and the plays they ran, what really stood out to me was the switches on the defensive end at the end of the game and how we did it like a well oiled machine. I just rewatched the last 2 minutes and Kenny fronting Moore denying him the ball in the post at the one minute mark was a great display of how important Kenny is to us and how much Roy really knows his guys when he said last year that Kenny was the best perimeter defender and how he has really evolved into an absolute lockdown one this year. This goes back to another point, the reason Roy is so great is that he develops his guys, he is able to find their weaknesses and try to get them to improve on them through time and experience while also using their strengths and really honing in on them making them do them at such a high level. He gives his guys opportunities to show what they can do, giving them the confidence that they need down the road in order to develop into something special. And the most recent and perfect example is Luuuuuke!
The great thing about him is that he is going to continuously push our guys to get the effort and intensity that he wants out of them through constant repetition and teaching.

Just an aside, when I was at the museum yesterday I listened to this video of Joel talking about Coach, he went on to say how sometimes when they are in meetings that Coach starts to cry because he is so invested and passionate about what he believes in and really cares about his guys getting it right. Gotta love Ole Roy!
Good stuff, Frank.

Only thing ever that should be considered a blown assist is a pass made to a wide open player who misses the point blank layup or dunk.

If it is contested or it is a not a wide open attempt at the rim then it is not a blown assist.

Missing a wide open 3 or missing a contested layup is not a blown assist.

Only thing ever that should be considered a blown assist is a pass made to a wide open player who misses the point blank layup or dunk.

If it is contested or it is a not a wide open attempt at the rim then it is not a blown assist.

Missing a wide open 3 or missing a contested layup is not a blown assist.
I get what Gary is saying. You guys need to step back and listen to the message. I mean we are Tar Heels. However, does it not bother you when you see Luke miss a bunny from a perfect pass? Of course it does. If you say no you are not being honest with yourself. I love Luke but it aggravates me to death but I know it infuriates him even more. I am just using Luke as an analogy. I have the greatest respect for that young man. The last three games has been hard to watch. It’s not that we don’t have the talent. It’s our talent is beating ourselves. Our core has been sporadic to say the least. Coach said it best and I agree 100% no one yesterday played well. Even by the stats. Luke and Joel were not their selves. But Joel is by far the best PG in college today because he is a winner, a leader, a fighter and a tremendous young man. I am a stat person. I always look at the stats during the game and I just told a good friend of mine who is a huge Tar Heel fan this last week. If you want to see how Our team is doing during a game there are two stats I look at the most rebounds and ASSISTS.

Good post. I'll add another qualm about this imaginary statistic-the inherent biases from the scorekeeper keeping said imaginary stat. I'm fairly certain a certain "dirty ole nasty dawg" gets more leeway when making a potential assist that turns blown than a less favored member of the heels. Besides that, by its very nature the blown assist is a canard because two people watching the same game may not agree upon wether said assist ending in a blown should be categorized as such.

Statistics need to be objective, something which all scorekeepers can agree on. The blown assist by its very nature is subjective and as I've explained very vulnerable to biases.

Reactions: JumboShrimp017
I would put JB in the top 3 and not any lower. I would take him over Young due to his experience in big games.

Any missed shot that comes after a pass is a "blown assist." Going to the trouble of tracking them instead of just looking at FG % is stupid. Is a missed layup less of a problem if it would have been an assist? Obviously not. It's a pointless statistic used by a moron who wants to stroke his own ego by throwing around bullshit stats to make it sound like he understands the game.
This. And yet when looking at reactions to when reputable advanced stats/websites are referenced on here, one would think that some posters were Luddites in a past life.

Any missed shot that comes after a pass is a "blown assist." Going to the trouble of tracking them instead of just looking at FG % is stupid. Is a missed layup less of a problem if it would have been an assist? Obviously not. It's a pointless statistic used by a moron who wants to stroke his own ego by throwing around bullshit stats to make it sound like he understands the game.
Your best bet is to go back to your gossip fence. You are clearly out of your league here attempting to talk about basketball.

All of this may be true but the bigger moron is the idiot that opens and reads a thread originated by a poster that he assumes to be "a moron who wants to stroke his own ego by throwing around bullshit stats to make it sound like he understands the game". What kind of fool does that? Again, if you have such animosity towards Gary, use the sense the Good Lord gave you and go on to the next thread!

I would take him over Young due to his experience in big games.

- Young is averaging the most points scored or assisted on in NCAA history.
- Berry has hit Young's current points/game in one game in his entire career.
- Berry has hit Young's current assists/game in one game in his entire career.
UNC's offense is #22. Oklahoma's offense is #12; last year (before Young) it was #118.

I get the "big game experience" angle as a tiebreaker, but Young is so far ahead of Berry that there's no need for a tiebreaker.

Reactions: sgrooms

Strikes me that your passionate take on a blown assist is more due to who believes in it more than what is actually is or its value. You clearly as well as a few others have a ax to grind with gary, I get that, I as well that gary does bring a lot of it on himself due to his brashness and desire to have the last word. I actually do get all that. But when you become what you seem to dislike you become no better than the object of your dissatisfaction. I do think by now we all get it, gary can rather easily be baited in to stating a brash retort to something he does not like and yet so many seem to have this need to drag him in to a pissing match, as if that were some kind of sport? Yet in doing so, they in my view become so much worse than that guy they hate because they are dwelling in and inspiring pettiness. Gary is actually rather easy to discuss things with, but you have to be willing to actually discuss and not be childish about it. he says things I do not agree with all the time and I call him on it but I am not looking for an argument, simply stating that I see it another way. When he does or in your opinion step over the line, if he acts in your opinion like a idiot or jerk, why match that in like kind? It is as if some feel this strange need to raise the bar of lunacy and then complain that things are out of hand? It is petty, it is childish, and it is inmature and it isn't on gary, it is on those that prod the nonsense on. I am not going to stir up a hornets nest and stand there to see what happens then complain because I got stung, the fact I got stung was my own damn fault for stirring up that nest in the first place and then after I did not getting the heck out of the way.

Good post. I'll add another qualm about this imaginary statistic-the inherent biases from the scorekeeper keeping said imaginary stat. I'm fairly certain a certain "dirty ole nasty dawg" gets more leeway when making a potential assist that turns blown than a less favored member of the heels. Besides that, by its very nature the blown assist is a canard because two people watching the same game may not agree upon wether said assist ending in a blown should be categorized as such.

Statistics need to be objective, something which all scorekeepers can agree on. The blown assist by its very nature is subjective and as I've explained very vulnerable to biases.
If you actually want to know why that stat matters, here ya go:
1. Assists themselves, as I've explained, are inherently subjective. Two different scorekeepers will often come up with different totals. Thus, since Assists are subjective, Blown Assists are no more so. Translation: it has the same level of validity.
2. By their nature, Assists are passes that directly lead to made FGs, whether it's say, an open 3, a shorter jumper, or layup. An open rhythm-3 off a pass for a college player is a 50%+ shot (more like 60 for good shooters), a shorter jumper better than that, a contested layup better than that, and an open layup should be 90-something.
3. Therefore, the Blown Assist metric concentrates on how a team is finishing on high-percentage shots. That is a very telling number, especially for an offense like ours that is predicated on getting high-percentage shots. Relying just on overall FG% does not isolate that aspect --- Blown Assists do.
4. Since these are supposed to be high-percentage shots we should be converting more than we're missing. So if, for example, we total 15 Assists for a game (like we did Saturday) but blow 17 in just one half, that tells ya something about how we're finishing, and it certainly tells a lot about why we barely pulled out a win that should have been relatively easy.

So again, if you're actually interested in why that stat is valuable, well there's the explanation, and it's logical and completely open and shut. If, on the other hand, your real purpose is to simply attack me or my integrity then that is just rather sad.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and shun1
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT