ADVERTISEMENT

Stats and stuff (Wake game)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and this was not a fun way to start ACC play.

- Wow, what a display of offensive ugliness the first half was. Missing wide-open 3s, not finishing inside. Yikes. Although in the first half we scored 19 of our (ugh) 35 points in the Secondary Break (47 for the game), we blew 8 transition opportunities, and more tellingly, had 17 Blown Assists in the first half alone. Certain know-nothings like to make fun of that metric but it is a vital measure of efficiency. It means we're passing the ball and getting open looks but not finishing.

- Also concerning is that we didn't get our Fast Break cranked up with only 5 points. Wake was very concerned with getting back on defense. The good news is that concern affected their Offensive Rebounding (see below).

- This was one of those games where an opponent stayed in it by heaving up shots --- many of which looked like they came from the fat guy in Rec League --- and they started going in in the second half. Those things happen sometimes despite good defense. The point is that we should be able to make enough shots to stave that sort of thing off. We didn't.

- Credit Wake with playing intensely on defense, and yeah, Tim Nestor rose to his normal level of incompetence (how Berry didn't get to the line once is beyond me), but ultimately this game being close is on us. We had ample opportunities we didn't convert --- both inside and out --- in that we got ample open looks from deep and in some cases just short-armed some chippies in the paint. The bottom line in hoops is to put the ball in the basket and we generally sucked at that today. When you're under 40% from the field, under 32% from 3 and only make 2/3 of the FTs ya get, that is normally a formula for a bad loss.

- One positive was that rebounding wasn't an issue, despite the size they put on the floor. We handled the glass 49-34 and best, only allowed them 4 Offensive Rebounds. That was accomplished not only by Luke's yeoman work (15), but 7 each from Theo and Brooks and 6 from JB.

- This is a different team than in previous years, in that Roy can't fall back on pounding the ball into Brice Johnson or Kennedy Meeks, so like it or not, the fate of this version will be greatly tied to making jump shots. Obviously we want to attack the rim (which ultimately pulled this one out for us), but it is unlikely we'll survive many outside shooting performances like this one. So, on that note, I'll just say "whew!":oops:...

- We had plenty of energy coming off the layoff, but execution was rusty, to put it kindly. Even though the TO number wasn't ultimately awful, there were multiple fumbled catches, helping with the aforementioned Blown Assists, and passes to nobody. That needs to tighten up in a hurry going forward.

- One positive was watching the game point-blank on a big-screen in a bar and thus not having to listen to Dakich. All I can say is that ESPN must've had a lotta people on vacation to assign that insufferable buffoon to a game in North Carolina.

- As big a fan as I am of Roy, this game was a head-scratcher in a couple of ways. First: Although I think he'll turn out to be a valuable player in the future, it's apparent we just can't afford to have Huffman on the floor in meaningful situations. He can't catch simple passes in any kind of traffic. It's a case of Joel-James-hands (without Big Joel's offensive game). Second, this was a situation made for inserting the Bomb Squad lineup with Luke at the 5, but for whatever reason Roy didn't do that until 3:06 to go. Curious.

- Speaking of attacking the rim, that's one thing that saved us. We outscored Wake 32-18 in the paint, much of that off drives from the perimeter... and ultimately that won us the game when Captain Dog took it into and over the trees for the game-winner (despite the silly narrative that we can't create shots).

Welp, not the post-break start we hoped for, but a win is a win, and 1-0 in the ACC beats the hell outta 0-1. Let's hope that's a lesson learned and we got that mess out of our system before Wednesday in Tallahassee... :eek:

Last edited:
This is going to be one of those seasons where we are not (initially) going to have the traditional inside out game and it's really starting to show now as it appears teams are willingly extending the defense to cover the perimeter and more/less leaving opportunities in the lane that we have yet to exploit. Hopefully Roy will work on that going forward. And since this is my 1000th poast I would like to finish it with ..

DOOK SUCKS .. GO HEELS !!

Certain know-nothings...
You really just can't help yourself, can you?

rolleyes.gif

Lol apparently I'm a "know nothing" because talking about "blown assists" sounds like the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Reactions: sgrooms
The inside scoring or lack of it makes it a bit hard for me to understand Manley not getting more time. He seems to be the one big we do have that can hit those mid range jumpers consistently as well as put our max length on opposing centers. I get that due to stamina he can not go for long stretches but in for 3 and then back out more times allows him to build on his stamina and more important it allows Luke to be more of a 4. I agree when the season started Brooks may have been more ready to contribute but as it has progressed Manley has shown some good things that are harder to see with less than 10mins a game as he has got in the last 2. With FSU in the near future I think we will need all 3 of our frosh bigs that have been getting PT or get white hot from 3.

Reactions: JuleZ '02 HEEL
The inside scoring or lack of it makes it a bit hard for me to understand Manley not getting more time.

Not so sure that it's not strength as much as conditioning .. or technique. Just appears from what I've seen Sterling simply just gets pushed out of position and can't really lock down a good spot, and present a good target to pass in to. Young man has the body to be a star in both college and maybe even the pro's but he has some growing to do .. which I think he will do sooner rather than later, hopefully. jmho

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and gary-7
Not so sure that it's not strength as much as conditioning .. or technique. Just appears from what I've seen Sterling simply just gets pushed out of position and can't really lock down a good spot, and present a good target to pass in to. Young man has the body to be a star in both college and maybe even the pro's but he has some growing to do .. which I think he will do sooner rather than later, hopefully. jmho
Yeah, both Brooks and Manley need get stronger. They will, and I think those guys will be solid for us, but it's gonna take some time. I still think they will be bigger contributors come March.

Hopefully they will learn a lot this year and really blow up next season and beyond.

Yeah, both Brooks and Manley need get stronger. They will, and I think those guys will be solid for us, but it's gonna take some time. I still think they will be bigger contributors come March.

Hopefully they will learn a lot this year and really blow up next season and beyond.
Yeah, that's the utiimate question for ths season and we need that to happen. The Bomb Squad is an atractiive lineup but we can't have Luke at the 5 all the time. Our freshman need to hold their own while they're in there.

Another Blown stats n stuff.. that's at least 4 and it's not even January.

Last edited:
Our freshman were all sub one and two hundred ranked 'cruits, save Jalek. I jes think that to expect much more from them even come March is asking a lot. Were gonna hafta roll with small ball or "the death 5". Our core four plus one as it were.

Reactions: JumboShrimp017
Our freshman were all sub one and two hundred ranked 'cruits, save Jalek. I jes think that to expect much more from them even come March is asking a lot. Were gonna hafta roll with small ball or "the death 5". Our core four plus one as it were.
How about the Fantastic Five?

Seriously though, it's probably asking too much to expect the bigs to make major strides between now and March but if they up their games enough to be a somewhat reliable option on offense then that would be nice come tourney time.

Combined, Brooks / Manley are averaging ~13 and 10, IIRC, right now. If they could increase that to 18 & 12 or something like that by seasons end, I'd be thrilled. Probably a tall order (pun intended) considering the level of talent they will be facing increases in conference play.

Last edited:
Lol apparently I'm a "know nothing" because talking about "blown assists" sounds like the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
I wouldn't say you're a know nothing, because I don't know anything about your basketball knowledge. That said, a large number of blown assists is a big problem. I hope we can cut way down on those going forward. We'll need to, if we want to win against the best teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: TPFKAPFS and shun1
The inside scoring or lack of it makes it a bit hard for me to understand Manley not getting more time. He seems to be the one big we do have that can hit those mid range jumpers consistently as well as put our max length on opposing centers. I get that due to stamina he can not go for long stretches but in for 3 and then back out more times allows him to build on his stamina and more important it allows Luke to be more of a 4. I agree when the season started Brooks may have been more ready to contribute but as it has progressed Manley has shown some good things that are harder to see with less than 10mins a game as he has got in the last 2. With FSU in the near future I think we will need all 3 of our frosh bigs that have been getting PT or get white hot from 3.
I'm hoping Sterling gets tougher & in better shape quickly. He definitely has the most potential of the bigs. He's also our best option going against quality bigs, if he can get there this season. At this point, Garrison makes fewer mistakes. IMO, that's the reason he's getting more minutes.

A blown assist could also mean a bad pass to a wide open man resulting in no basket and no assist. The way it's often described by the individual who coined the phrase makes it appear as though it's always the recipient of said potential assist who blows it, but technically it could be the assist giver himself who is blowing things, creating the blown aspect of the potential assist.

A blown assist could also mean a bad pass to a wide open man resulting in no basket and no assist. The way it's often described by the individual who coined the phrase makes it appear as though it's always the recipient of said potential assist who blows it, but technically it could be the assist giver himself who is blowing things, creating the blown aspect of the potential assist.
It could indeed. But we miss many layups when the pass is right on the money. Some of you speak of these "blown assists" as if they were just something Gary made up. The truth is we have trouble finishing at the rim, that is indisputable. Part of it is attributable to inexperience and lack of strength, part due to lack of concentration, both of which can be fixed. but the truth of the matter is that we miss far too many chippies.

You can continue to mock Gary and his "blown assists" but the fact of the matter is that we fail to convert on way too many point blank attempts.

Dakich can be annoying to listen to. He did talk about Luke's shot being off and the ball rotation not spinning like it normally does. That has been brought up on here before. My son came out of his room after the game and just said I realized this year how spoiled we've been with UNC big men in the past. We just don't have the luxury like we did in the past of dumping it down low. Hopefully that comes still this year.

The games we struggle there just seems to be too much standing around instead nice quick crisp passes. As much as I like Cam's ability to shoot, I realize quickly how much I miss JJ and his ability to move without the ball and drive to the hoop. Hopefully that comes for Cam while his knee still recovers and learning our offense. To be honest Cam is further along then I thought he would be at this point after surgery.

Manley has got to get stronger he looks like a wet noddle when he plays I wish he had Huffman's body

It could indeed. But we miss many layups when the pass is right on the money. Some of you speak of these "blown assists" as if they were just something Gary made up. The truth is we have trouble finishing at the rim, that is indisputable. Part of it is attributable to inexperience and lack of strength, part due to lack of concentration, both of which can be fixed. but the truth of the matter is that we miss far too many chippies.

You can continue to mock Gary and his "blown assists" but the fact of the matter is that we fail to convert on way too many point blank attempts.
Yep, and bad passes don't count towards that particular number.

Dakich can be annoying to listen to. He did talk about Luke's shot being off and the ball rotation not spinning like it normally does. That has been brought up on here before. My son came out of his room after the game and just said I realized this year how spoiled we've been with UNC big men in the past. We just don't have the luxury like we did in the past of dumping it down low. Hopefully that comes still this year.

The games we struggle there just seems to be too much standing around instead nice quick crisp passes. As much as I like Cam's ability to shoot, I realize quickly how much I miss JJ and his ability to move without the ball and drive to the hoop. Hopefully that comes for Cam while his knee still recovers and learning our offense. To be honest Cam is further along then I thought he would be at this point after surgery.
I hope I'm misunderstanding your post. You're not really saying Luke & Cam's play is hurting this team are you? Without Luke we'd be in serious trouble. His 17 points & 15 rebounds are much more than we got out of the power forward position last year on a regular basis. Cam is a big asset to this team. Without him, we're a very different team going forward & not in a good way. If I misunderstood what you were saying, I apologize in advance.

Reactions: Archer2

This frustrates me more than anything, guess I am use to seeing a strong team but this will bite us in conference play. DUNK THE BALL :mad:

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
This frustrates me more than anything, guess I am use to seeing a strong team but this will bite us in conference play. DUNK THE BALL :mad:
People have obviously forgotten the complaints about Kennedy getting blocked so often last season. Look how that turned out. It's not like we were dunking the ball left & right last season either. I agree we need to make more layups, but I think that will improve with time.

Reactions: Archer2
Manley has got to get stronger he looks like a wet noddle when he plays I wish he had Huffman's body

Very true but you also have to remember Sterling had a compound leg fracture in Feb. of 2016 and that could be a factor in his lack of leg strength. I worked with a guy that had knee surgery after separating the shin tendon from his knee cap and it was almost a year before he could walk without assistance and I'm sure a compound fracture is similarly debilitating. I'm pleasantly surprised he has progressed as much as he has. We will all be glad he's a Tar Heel before his college career is over .. bank it. jmho

Very true but you also have to remember Sterling had a compound leg fracture in Feb. of 2016 and that could be a factor in his lack of leg strength. I worked with a guy that had knee surgery after separating the shin tendon from his knee cap and it was almost a year before he could walk without assistance and I'm sure a compound fracture is similarly debilitating. I'm pleasantly surprised he has progressed as much as he has. We will all be glad he's a Tar Heel before his college career is over .. bank it. jmho
Yup. I wrote in the game thread: Manley/Brooks is going to be a very nice front court combo in a couple of years

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Hi Gary...THANK YOU...SMILE

!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TAR HEELS !!!!!!!!!!!!

ps...prayer is require dealing with us humans & a big SMILE!

Reactions: FranktheHeel
Oh I agree and for what he has been through it is remarkable he is playing like he is. I am cheering for him to keep improving and get tougher

Yeah, Kennedy was bad to miss layups last season as well, but he had the size and ability to keep tipping it until he scored. The current guys don't have that luxury.

Finishing strong around the rim is Luke's main remaining chink in his game. There are indeed situations in which he could go ahead and dunk, and he's athletic enough to do so. And the younguns stiil haven't figured out how to make themselves big and clear space inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT