ADVERTISEMENT

Still wondering Why has not another big man been added to this years team

IDUNK4HEELS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2004
kernersville nc
Yes Bacot is a tremendous player and he will probably lead the team in scoring and rebounding again but let’s be fair here he is not Superman and if he gets injured or in foul trouble this years team will be lucky to win 20.

There must be some reason the coaching staff has not brought in another big even as a back up and the only thing I think of is making they think there is a slim chance that Sharpe may come back but like many others here we do not understand and are confused.

Maybe someone in the know has some inside info because to me it is like walking on a frozen lake there is a possibility it will hold but on the other hand it might crack and everyone falls in and the season sinks with it.

Are you as baffled as I am?

I would figure the staff has tried. But just bringing a body in because it is 7 ft tall isn't going to help anything
I respectfully disagree Bacot needs a breather every now and then and as mentioned earlier what if Bacot gets injured or gets into foul trouble. There really is no backup or a backup plan as of this writing...

Reactions: TheGLOV
I respectfully disagree Bacot needs a breather every now and then and as mentioned earlier what if Bacot gets injured or gets into foul trouble. There really is no backup or a backup plan as of this writing...
So you would rather have a stiff that can't play dead just because he is 7 ft tall? We have all seen these kids recruited at that height on a flyer, hoping he can develop. But you actually wonder if he could get playing time in the SoCon. No thank you. Go small with talented players if need be.

Reactions: RP12 and TPFKAPFS
It is very clear how hard we have tried and ridiculous to say it isn't! Simply paying attention and it is clear that the staff is moving at warp speed but hasn't gotten the right person to pop! + we have enough right now to do well. Bacot has backup on the team now and coaches smart enough to design a system that works with our current lineup!

Reactions: iwish
I don't for one second think they have given up on '21. I think they are NOT willing to settle for a big body! I truly believe we will add one more piece, and I am very happy they are not willing to except the first thing that says yes! + I don't know why peeps think our cubbard is so bare??? Peeps are screaming that the back to the basket BIg is a dinosaur and then saying we have to have two to be successful! It can't be both! Manek, McKoy and Styles can spend short bursts guarding the 5. We can play zone and press to take the ball out of the bigs hands. + if played well, the other team will have to respond to our small ball O!

Unless I'm missing someone, these are our SFs and PFs

6'9 231 - Manek
6'8 225 - McKoy
6'8 195 - Leaky
6'7 205 - Styles
6'8 190 - Puff
6'5 205 - Kerwin

We probably don't want Brady playing much in the post, simply because he's a much better threat when he's free to shoot from deep. So that probably leaves Justin to handle backup when Armando needs a rest.

Similarly, we probably don't want Kerwin to play much at SF, simply because he's so good at SG. Don't fix it if it ain't broke. But that doesn't mean he can't slide there if necessary - or if we play a lot of smallish ball.

Leaky has the length and experience to back up at PF, but he lacks the strength (unless he bulks up during his first off-season without injuries). So that could mean that Justin also handles most of the backup minutes at PF.

I never expect much from freshmen, especially if they aren't high-ranked freshmen. So Styles and Puff look more like SF backups - meaning they allow Leaky to rest or to log some minutes at PF in a pinch.

Reactions: Archer2
At the moment, we have 1 true center for this year and none for next year.

Maybe that's how Hubert wants it???

I hope not...why would anyone want zero post depth when you have at least 2 scholarships wide open...it’s essential that we get another post player! I’m glad we’re transitioning to small or stretch ball but you need depth everywhere....especially at the true big position, along with the pg position

Reactions: keysersosay#1
I don't think it's the staff is not trying so much as their are at a disadvantage. How will Hubert play his bigs? Will there be conscious effort to play more small ball? Can the pg get the bigs the ball in good scoring position? Right now there are more questions than answers but that goes with any new staff. Ideally UNC needs a big who is content with being a bench player unless foul/injury to Bacot. Unless there is a kid out there who grew up a Tar Heel fan and just wants to wear the jersey why transfer into such an unknown situation?

The portal is open until July 1 this year. We won’t be sure who is staying/going or available until then!
Is that the date after which you can no longer enter the portal?

Why does there need to be an end to the portal?

I mean if some superstar commits to "my" position on June 2, am I just screwed?

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Whether it is a 7 footer back to the hoop or a Brady type, we NEED a backup for Bacot. Another big to spell him at least for a few minutes per game is what I am talking about. We are woefully short inside and have gone from the Dominant inside presence last year to a real depth problem coming up.

Remember David Noel, Bird, and PJ Hairston successfully played the 4! (Leaky, McKoy, and Styles are bigger than them. Manek could play the post on D and still roam the perimeter on O! (for a short spell if needed) All the staff has to do is let him know so he can adjust. I do not think for one minute that they do not want post depth, however they are having a hard time finding someone who will commit to being the backup!

Reactions: Archer2
Maybe there is still a chance Manley comes back, just not sure how many minutes he could play. But I’m sure he wants to try to be the man somewhere else. I would like to have him 5-10min a game. Not sure he could play much more than that at our pace (if HD still goes with up tempo).

agree.
So you would rather have a stiff that can't play dead just because he is 7 ft tall? We have all seen these kids recruited at that height on a flyer, hoping he can develop. But you actually wonder if he could get playing time in the SoCon. No thank you. Go small with talented players if need be.
we saw how taking kids and hoping they developed worked out over these last 4 years....

Whether it is a 7 footer back to the hoop or a Brady type, we NEED a backup for Bacot. Another big to spell him at least for a few minutes per game is what I am talking about. We are woefully short inside and have gone from the Dominant inside presence last year to a real depth problem coming up.
true dat

Remember David Noel, Bird, and PJ Hairston successfully played the 4! (Leaky, McKoy, and Styles are bigger than them. Manek could play the post on D and still roam the perimeter on O! (for a short spell if needed) All the staff has to do is let him know so he can adjust. I do not think for one minute that they do not want post depth, however they are having a hard time finding someone who will commit to being the backup!
Noel was a little more beefy - 6'6 230, and Reyshawn at 6'7 235 was a athletic active rebounder/defender next to him. It can work, look at Baylor, but it doesn't seem ideal.

Look, optimally we add a player for depth next year. If we don’t, it won’t be because Hubert doesn’t realize how thin our C/PF positions are. He does and he’ll continue to try and bring in another big. But he’s not gonna settle for any stiff. He wants a quality player. I hope we get one more for this year.

Look, optimally we add a player for depth next year. If we don’t, it won’t be because Hubert doesn’t realize how thin our C/PF positions are. He does and he’ll continue to try and bring in another big. But he’s not gonna settle for any stiff. He wants a quality player. I hope we get one more for this year.
This!

Peeps keep saying the game has changed and back to the basket centers are becoming obsolete.......until we don't have enough of them and suddenly the program will implode if we don't have two! I find this hypocrisy mind boggling!

+I know they are working hard to fill out the roster and I know they are smart enough to make the current roster successful! (heck, I could design several options with our current roster and I never coached past the HS level!)

Trust the freaking process and give the guy a second!

We probably don't want Brady playing much in the post, simply because he's a much better threat when he's free to shoot from deep. So that probably leaves Justin to handle backup when Armando needs a rest.

Similarly, we probably don't want Kerwin to play much at SF, simply because he's so good at SG. Don't fix it if it ain't broke. But that doesn't mean he can't slide there if necessary - or if we play a lot of smallish ball.
I don't understand these comments. Why are you assuming the 5 needs to play post on offense? We can go 5 out, or play the 4-man inside. I expect Manek to play the 5 when Bacot rests for now.

Similarly, the 2 and the 3 are effectively the same position on offense. I expect Walton to play 3 some so we can get more time with 2 of Love/Davis/Harris in the game, just as he did last year.

Yes Bacot is a tremendous player and he will probably lead the team in scoring and rebounding again but let’s be fair here he is not Superman and if he gets injured or in foul trouble this years team will be lucky to win 20.

There must be some reason the coaching staff has not brought in another big even as a back up and the only thing I think of is making they think there is a slim chance that Sharpe may come back but like many others here we do not understand and are confused.

Maybe someone in the know has some inside info because to me it is like walking on a frozen lake there is a possibility it will hold but on the other hand it might crack and everyone falls in and the season sinks with it.

Are you as baffled as I am?
ID, we are in a bit of an odd situation, while we in my opinion really need another big man for next season, I do think Hubert feels we don't need to take just any big man, if a guy fits what he feels we need he will go after him but just any big guy isn't what he is looking for. WE are strong in the mix for several really good big men from the 2022 class. We just got Shaver who can stretch 4 or back to the basket 5, nice versatility. But if we were to bring in a just cause he is big guy with more than 1 season of eligibility then it could cost us one of our big men prospects after next season.

The other issue is that we do have Styles coming in for next season, he is a 4/3, more of a 3 body at 6'7" (a generous 6'7") and he is well respected. He is kind of in that Justin McKoy mold, I prefer to suggest he is more in a George Lynch mold and is fiery (really good motor) like Lynch was also. If you get Styles solid PT that you would like for a kid of his level, then he would slot as a 4 for us (because our wing is now really stacked with Leaky, Puff, small option (either Dunn or Walton), so the 4 will be his spot at least next season. Are we better giving Styles the PT as our 3rd or 4th big man (Bacot, Manck, McKoy) or bring in a big that would at very least cut in to that 4th big man PT? And the other question is can Leaky or Puff steal some minutes at the 4 for us in the event our other guys find foul trouble or injury.

I kind of go back and forth on this question, it just IMO depends on what McKoy brings us. If he can play the 4 for us and if he can make (not just take) treys at a solid clip then we don't have that huge need I feel we may for another big man. Point being I am not as sold on McKoy as I would like to be and as I have shared many times, I am a big man believer. I do think Hubert feels better about our big man spots than I do for now. I think Hubert is to the point where he is perfectly willing to go with who he already has for next season unless a big timer falls in to his lap that clearly gives us more than Styles or McKoy.

Unless I'm missing someone, these are our SFs and PFs

6'9 231 - Manek
6'8 225 - McKoy
6'8 195 - Leaky
6'7 205 - Styles
6'8 190 - Puff
6'5 205 - Kerwin

Leaky has the length and experience to back up at PF, but he lacks the strength (unless he bulks up during his first off-season without injuries). So that could mean that Justin also handles most of the backup minutes at PF.

I never expect much from freshmen, especially if they aren't high-ranked freshmen. So Styles and Puff look more like SF backups - meaning they allow Leaky to rest or to log some minutes at PF in a pinch.
Kerwin mostly played at the SF spot last season.

Hubert all but said we will no longer be going with a 2 big system and be spreading it out with shooters.

Bacot is your starter in the post. Manek is his back up.

Hubert all but said we will no longer be going with a 2 big system and be spreading it out with shooters.

I will be shocked if Manek does not start at the 4 with Bacot at the 5.

Watched a lot of OU bball.....I really like Manek....but he does not need to spend anytime at the 5.

Watched a lot of OU bball.....I really like Manek....but he does not need to spend anytime at the 5.

Yep! He will get destroyed down low, love his game but he’s suited for the stretch 4 position and that only...we know Hubert wants to play more spread out and play small ball and stretch the defense! But with 2 open scholarships we need to add depth where it’s needed and that’s down low! I trust Hubert and like the recruits he’s offered in future classes but I’m really hoping we can add another big...I know we never do this but a reclassification could be an option! Get a kid who loves UNC, will develop and play 10 to 15 min as a freshman! Then in year 2 could be a stud...Hubert seems to be open to new ideas so maybe he will explore this route, or maybe keep searching through the transfer portal! Either way I’m excited for next years team and future Tar Heel basketball!

I’d be all for that! We most likely lose Bacot and of course Manek...that would get Shavers some experience and we would have a quality back up 5 that can stroke the 3...sign me up lol
Yeah, it's the experience part that really appeals to me.

Sure, he could come into games and give a couple of minutes here and there, but the real value would be learning Hubert's system and getting comfortable with his teammates ahead of the 2022-23 season. We'll be losing 4 starters, give or take, so the more guys who are ready, the better.

I wonder if he's interested in reclassifying, and how close he might be to finishing his HS classes. Obviously we'd want him on campus this summer, if possible. Get him in the weight room, pick up games, and practicing with his teammates.

That's not my impression, but he certainly played some there.

It would be interesting to compare his stats at SG vs his stats at SF. I'm assuming he's more valuable to us at SG, but I could easily be wrong.

Is there a site that posts stats like that? Pomeroy has a computed mpg number but I don't know how reliable that is, and he doesn't break down the other stats by position.

Baylor won the NCAA title with a 6-8 center. Golden State won 3 NBA titles with 6-6 Draymond Green at center.

As of right now, 6-8 McKoy is the back-up center. Hubert may roll with this.

WAKE just signed this kid out of the transfer portal. yeah I know he probably will START at WFU but at least TRY and convince him that coming off the bench for 10-15 mins per game is at least worth taking a look at Carolina

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT