ADVERTISEMENT

That total fail of a recruiting class (2015 class)

DSouthr

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2002
Yep, total fail of a recruiting class, remember? All we got was a walk on son of a former UNC QB and a blah kid that had committed to VCU before Shaka went to Texas. Many and yes many UNC fans, wondered why either of these kids were brought in, kind of wasted schollys even if the Maye kid only got one because there was a spare one available.

Even after their frosh seasons, the Maye kid is not athletic enough for this level of play and the Kenny kid can't shoot, he was 1 for 13 from the 3pt arch as a frosh, stop saying he can shoot it! All either of these 2 really are is mop up minute guys...

Sure is strange how differently that looks today as opposed to 2yrs ago...That Roy fella can coach after all, what ya think, even if he doesn't know when to call a time out! LOL

Note, for those that may struggle to understand, this is a total usage of sarcasm mixed with good humor ! LOL

Both Luke and Kenny made big improvements last season. Given that a lot of players make their biggest improvements from frosh to soph years, the question was whether they could make additional big strides from soph to junior years.

So far, all indications are positive.

This is doubly impressive because Kenny is coming off injury and Luke had to transition from a sub to a starter.

Stop and think for a minute what our team would look like if neither Luke nor Kenny had continued to improve. They would still be important players, of course, and still starting. But we wouldn't be as successful And there would be even more pressure on our other guys.

Which is not to say that we don't have other fine players. We do. But none of them is going to take away the starting role from Kenny or Luke anytime soon (if ever).

Last edited:
Yeah the crickets coming from the gloom amd doomers IS amazing but not unexpected. These are the folks who a couple of years back were sick of Roy, wanted a coaching change and mocked players like Luke and Kenny at every turn.

They wre sickening to read then and continue to be so now.

One can go back not so very long ago and read these self appointed experts and the blather they spewed out constantly.

They know who they are and believe me so do I and a bunch of others who have recognized their crap for a long time.

I look forward to the sometimes slow and painful development of the freshmen , as well as our overall team They really get after it especially on defense and they are a great bunch to watch. This group could be VERY good come March. Gonna be a fun ride this year.

The vociferous few critics of team and Roy are not available currently. They will be back with the first loss with a bunch of I told ya so's....
Word of warning, do not sell this group short.

giphy.gif

Yeah the crickets coming from the gloom amd doomers IS amazing but not unexpected. These are the folks who a couple of years back were sick of Roy, wanted a coaching change and mocked players like Luke and Kenny at every turn.

They wre sickening to read then and continue to be so now.

One can go back not so very long ago and read these self appointed experts and the blather they spewed out constantly.

They know who they are and believe me so do I and a bunch of others who have recognized their crap for a long time.

I look forward to the sometimes slow and painful development of the freshmen , as well as our overall team They really get after it especially on defense and they are a great bunch to watch. This group could be VERY good come March. Gonna be a fun ride this year.
Yup.... for shits and giggles I went back and looked at some old threads.... some of the comments there about Roy, his stubbornness, his inability to win with 3-4 star players, lack of OAD players, he's lost touch with the game... etc, etc.....
Funny though, there were some posters on those threads who don't surface here any more... and even stranger, there are others who arrived after those posters left.... hmmm

Pomeroy lists Luke as #9 in his player of the year standings.

Clearly Pomeroy doesn't know what he's talking about.

For comparison purposes...
Bonzie is #1
Bagley is #6

Here's the link for subscribers:

https://kenpom.com/kpoy.php
With all due respect --- and whether it looks good or bad or indifferent for our guys --- that kenpom stuff has about as much value to POY choices as a bicycle does to a fish. A lot of basketball discussions would be better off without it, quite frankly.

Both of those were true. Fortunately both of them have worked hard to improve and now clearly show they belong.
Neither were true, actually. One doesn't become more athletic, and a small sample size can't predict shooting prowess.

Both Luke and Kenny came in with the ability to be very good college basketball players at this level. Yes, they both have put in the work to continually improve --- but, if they didn't have the ability then all the work in the world wouldn't get them anywhere near to where they are.

Last edited:
Yep, total fail of a recruiting class, remember? All we got was a walk on son of a former UNC QB and a blah kid that had committed to VCU before Shaka went to Texas. Many and yes many UNC fans, wondered why either of these kids were brought in, kind of wasted schollys even if the Maye kid only got one because there was a spare one available.

Even after their frosh seasons, the Maye kid is not athletic enough for this level of play and the Kenny kid can't shoot, he was 1 for 13 from the 3pt arch as a frosh, stop saying he can shoot it! All either of these 2 really are is mop up minute guys...

Sure is strange how differently that looks today as opposed to 2yrs ago...That Roy fella can coach after all, what ya think, even if he doesn't know when to call a time out! LOL

Note, for those that may struggle to understand, this is a total usage of sarcasm mixed with good humor ! LOL
As you know I liked the '15 class --- and said so at the time --- because it filled need, with two multi-year players who were great FITS for us. I also did not really want Ingram --- and shed no consternation over him --- because I did not think he was a fit... at all. I said at the time he could have f***ed up the chemistry of what was going to be a very special bunch. The '14 class was the core of championships. Sometimes it's better to complement rather than overload.

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
As you know I liked the '15 class --- and said so at the time --- because it filled need, with two multi-year players who were great FITS for us. I also did not really want Ingram --- and shed no consternation over him --- because I did not think he was a fit... at all. I said at the time he could have f***ed up the chemistry of what was going to be a very special bunch. The '14 class was the core of championships. Sometimes it's better to complement rather than overload.

I would rather have a roster stuffed with Luke's and Kenny's than a roster full of elite OADers. For validation of your point, look no further than the 93-94 team. A NC team with most of the parts returning. You throw in heralded freshmen Wallace and Stackhouse and the whole team chemistry goes out the window. Second in the league and a second round exit from the tourney. Thank god Arkansas beat dook.

I would rather have a roster stuffed with Luke's and Kenny's than a roster full of elite OADers. For validation of your point, look no further than the 93-94 team. A NC team with most of the parts returning. You throw in heralded freshmen Wallace and Stackhouse and the whole team chemistry goes out the window. Second in the league and a second round exit from the tourney. Thank god Arkansas beat dook.
DyVy5.gif

[QUOTE="Note, for those that may struggle to understand, this is a total usage of sarcasm mixed with good humor ! LOL[/QUOTE]

If you have to explain why a thread was posted ya might not should have not posted it to start .. and the humor part is a bit subjective .. jmho

[QUOTE="Note, for those that may struggle to understand, this is a total usage of sarcasm mixed with good humor ! LOL

If you have to explain why a thread was posted ya might not should have not posted it to start .. and the humor part is a bit subjective .. jmho[/QUOTE]

Yeah but in this medium folks do not always get sarcasm so the need to make sure they realize it is being used is needed. As for whether or not I should or should not have posted a thing that is more my decision than anyone else's, just as your requirement to respond is more up to you than it is me or anyone else. Funny how that works...YEAH...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT