ADVERTISEMENT

The Condiment Tournament - Spatula Region Round of 32

Raising Heel

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2008
A van down by the river
The Spatula Region continues to make its claim as the strongest group in the tourney. Seven of the top eight seeds are still alive, but anything can happen when these heavyweights face off. Voting starts now and will continue until some time early next week that I arbitrarily decide.

S32_qmykg0.png

Copy/Paste for easy voting:

1. Queso
8. Butter

5. Jam
4. Marinara

6. BBQ Sauce - Tomato Based
3. Dijon Mustard

10. Pico de Gallo
2. Ketchup

8. Butter

4. Marinara

2. Ketchup

8. Butter -- this one was so difficult for me. I want to vote queso because damn is queso good.... but, butter, man. Butter. It goes on your baked potato, it goes on your freshly baked banana bread; it goes on your rolls at O'Charley's (mmm); it goes in your grits for flavoring. I feel like this is the type of 1/8 matchup where a traditional power like Kentucky has an off year and they put them at the 8 seed so they can face like an upstart Marquette team or some shit that has a magical year and gets a #1 seed.

4. Marinara -- I'm voting marinara because I guess I'm still confused on the difference between jam and jelly. @JuleZ '02 HEEL weeps.

6. BBQ Sauce - Tomato Based -- dijon mustard is too overpowering and kills the other flavors of whatever you put it on. Gotta go with the tomato based BBQ sauce cuz barbecue.

10. Pico de Gallo -- ketchup is for the poors

That didn't help me at all. They even use the word "jam" in the definition of preserves. This is what I like and it says jelly on the bottle so I'mma roll with that. But colloquially speaking, everything down here is called "jelly." At least it is in my family.

IMG_2068[1].jpg
You're killin' me, Smalls. The difference is basically how chunky they are, with the chunks being bits of fruit. Jelly has no chunks. Jam has some chunks. Preserves have lots of chunks.

#chunks

051114091-01-jelly-jam-preserves_xlg-main.jpg

That didn't help me at all. They even use the word "jam" in the definition of preserves. This is what I like and it says jelly on the bottle so I'mma roll with that. But colloquially speaking, everything down here is called "jelly." At least it is in my family.

IMG_2068[1].jpg

Luvs me some Smuckers Blackberry jelly . . ! ! !

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
8. Butter

4. Marinara

2. Ketchup

I'm still wondering why pico de gallo is even on this list. It's a type of salsa and salsa is already on there. smh

They're the same thing. I don't care if one has bits of fruit and the other doesn't, they're still the same. Do we call creamy and chunky peanut butter different things? Nope, it's still peanut butter. Same goes for jelly and jam. Same thing.
I swear that we are like brothers separated from birth when it comes to food.

If I get relocated to Charlotte, we need to just pick a day and hang out and hit ALL the food places lol.

Reactions: coolwaterunc
There are also multiple types of mustard, multiple types of hot sauce, multiple types of It was a special request from your mom.
1.) There is no entry for just mustard like there is for salsa. There's yellow mustard and dijon mustard (maybe something else but I don't care). Same for hot sauce. You actually did that correctly. Don't blame me for your condiment fails.

2.) My mom doesn't like pico so she would never request it to be a part of this tournament.

1. Queso
8. Butter

5. Jam
4. Marinara

3. Dijon Mustard

10. Pico de Gallo
2. Ketchup

You're killin' me, Smalls. The difference is basically how chunky they are, with the chunks being bits of fruit. Jelly has no chunks. Jam has some chunks. Preserves have lots of chunks.

#chunks

051114091-01-jelly-jam-preserves_xlg-main.jpg

I'll vote for all 3. But the chunkier the better for me. In fact, the shit I buy now isn't called jelly, jam or preserves. It's called "spreadable fruit". It's the bomb.

Shit just got real. Butter comes out of nowhere to eject Queso from the tournament. The delicious cheesy condiment is our first #1 seed to go down. Otherwise, condiments made from tomatoes dominate the rest of the region. Sweet 16 voting begins tomorrow, if you're lucky.

S16_o4prcz.png

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT