ADVERTISEMENT

The Reality With This Current Team

ChiShankCity

Hall of Famer
Apr 2, 2005
The junior core of this group: Paige, Johnson, Tokoto has had the following records

As Freshmen: 25-11, 2nd round loss
As Sophomores: 24-10, 2nd round loss
As Juniors: 21-10 currently

Can anyone be realistically confident in this core's March potential or even next year's potential if they all return. I know it's not all on them and most of them were role players are most the first year, but this core seems to be consistently and ok team at the end of the day. They're just a limited core. Maybe I shouldn't expect more out of them since this might be what they are, but this is awfully consistently just ok.

That's a pretty interesting observation. I don't disagree. But, look at the cores since that class. It's not getting much better.

It might be a long time before it gets back to elite.

Well, IF we had a consistent alternative 3-point shooter than I predict Paige would have had an outstanding year with more W's. And if we had that same outside look then Tokoto wouldn't be shooter the long 2 and bricking it consistently he would be drawing defenders leaving that un-named shooter to bomb away. And Johnson has had a pretty good year IMO clearly improving from the previous years. So, I guess it comes down to the outside shooting that we lack. Tough to replace that. So, I would not put this on those players shoulders.

Originally posted by SJung851:
The junior core of this group: Paige, Johnson, Tokoto has had the following records

As Freshmen: 25-11, 2nd round loss
As Sophomores: 24-10, 2nd round loss
As Juniors: 21-10 currently

Can anyone be realistically confident in this core's March potential or even next year's potential if they all return. I know it's not all on them and most of them were role players are most the first year, but this core seems to be consistently and ok team at the end of the day. They're just a limited core. Maybe I shouldn't expect more out of them since this might be what they are, but this is awfully consistently just ok.
I guess I wouldn't really put any shortcomings of the team on these three guys. We don't need Tokoto to be a great outside shooter, and he gives us good play in all other parts of the game, except he should cut down the turnovers.

Brice can be inconsistent, but he is a very good scorer when he has his head in the game. Good rim defender too. Look at the stats tonight. These are the three guys that showed up. We'd have lost by 25 if these guys didn't have very good games.

The problem is that we aren't getting enough from Meeks / Hicks / James, and we have no other 100% reliable consistent shooter other than Paige, if you can call Paige that.

But beyond the players, I just think that if it gets close in the last 5 minutes, even if we are up by 5 or less, I feel like we have a less than 10% chance to win. We flat out suck at the end of games. Not sure if that is on the players. I feel like Roy gets severely outcoached often. Like what other teams are trying to do, we've never seen before. Or like we have to just hope one guy can bail us out.

Originally posted by UNC-75:
Well, IF we had a consistent alternative 3-point shooter than I predict Paige would have had an outstanding year with more W's. And if we had that same outside look then Tokoto wouldn't be shooter the long 2 and bricking it consistently he would be drawing defenders leaving that un-named shooter to bomb away. And Johnson has had a pretty good year IMO clearly improving from the previous years. So, I guess it comes down to the outside shooting that we lack. Tough to replace that. So, I would not put this on those players shoulders.
The 2011 and 2012 teams were worse than any of the years this core has been together. But those teams were much more talented.

Originally posted by UNC-75:
Good point. Johnson has had a very good year. I have also heard talk that he's going pro, however.

We definitely lack 3-point shooters.

I've been more disappointed in Jackson as an outside threat than any other of the freshmen. He's still been a good player.

Now it seems like this bunch has had some bad luck one way or another hit each year. Probably not all on them but that record says a lot. I like these players but I am not sure there is an NBA first rounder in the trio. Highly unusual for a Roy team.

This team has a lot of what the kids call bitchassness. It's all good until they get hit in the mouth. See Kennedy Meeks against Dook twice. He bitched out. No other way to put it.

Originally posted by scoutsupreme:
Final Four talent....but they play with a prey mentality rather than predator.
One guy on our team could start for dook (Brice). They, UK, Zona have final four talent. Our lack of anything between the ears is what keeps us out of the second weekend bc we do have the talent to get there. But based on our talent the final four would be a major upset. We have one guy who can make a three consistently and zero guys who can check guards on the other team.

Which final four tournament are you talking about?

Originally posted by SJung851:

Which final four tournament are you talking about?
I think he meant the ACC tournament.

edited to add: And we probably will not reach the final 4 in that tourney either.

This post was edited on 3/8 6:10 AM by JP4UNC

The Reality With This Team.................................................NO ALPHA DOG to take over at crunch time! I'm hoping Theo grows into "that guy".

this team's ball handling is not coordinated with the coaches' offensive style--too many turnovers that lead to quick scores against them/like last nite had a second half lead evaporate in a snap..when JP mishandles its a slippery slope that doesn't stop..bottom line for me from pre-season to now has this team improved!!!!!????

Johnson is a heck of a player. Paige also when he's healthy. I chalk up his struggles to his various injuries. Tokoto is an excellent defender and athlete.

I think the reality is that Johnson should be on the floor as much as possible. He's a tough matchup for a lot of teams.

I have very little confidence in this group. After this season, they'll have accumulated 33 losses in 3 years. That is pathetic by Carolina standards. I see very little hope that next year will be different. Same group, 1 year older means we'll be about the same. I'd be surprised if we don't have double digit losses for a 4th straight year. We're in some dark days of UNC basketball.

Originally posted by strummingram:

Good point. Johnson has had a very good year. I have also heard talk that he's going pro, however.
Going pro in Australia maybe, but are you talking NBA?

I like Brice but, based on this years output, I can't see him on an NBA roster next year . Really not sure what position he plays in the league.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT