ADVERTISEMENT

This Draft PROVES that the OAD Rule Needs to Go

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
TEN of the first 11 picks were freshmen. The other one was a foreigner of the same age.

SIX more freshmen in the first round. Plus a US player who played a year abroad rather than be an indentured servant to an NCAA school.

OAD is a joke and needs to go.

Get rid of it or go to a 2 year minimum.

Sure, a few of those guys might have gone to college anyway. I mean there could be a few who didn't look like OADs out of HS (even in their handlers' minds) who blossomed as freshmen.

I wonder how many of those freshmen finished their only college year in good academic standing? Or even went to spring classes more than a token amount? Probably a few. But how many? And I wonder how the OAD schools compare with other schools on this measure?

All the analysts covering the draft were saying that the NBA was realizing that this model doesn't work. It'll be interesting to see if they change it to a 2 (or 3) year rule, and if it'll be mandatory or if it'll be the baseball rule of you can go out of HS but need to stay for multiple years if you elect to go to college. I think giving them the option would be the best for all involved. There are a few players every year that could go right to the NBA.

It was funny listening to Cal basically beg them not to change the rule on him though.

I believe kids should either go right out of high school if they feel they can be drafted OR should go to college for 2 years. BUT.... it's hard for me to be against the current format when the 1st round is flooded with freshman. Apparently the GM's don't have a problem with it. Would some of these players have been drafted right out of high school? Probably only half at best.

Reactions: gauchoheel
It proves a lot. As long as the teams are drafting them how can anyone say they shouldn't be in the draft. Demand drives everything. If the NBA doesn't want to draft freshman then the GM's should send a message and don't draft them. It's pretty simple.
Agreed. OAD worked pretty well for Tony Bradley. He would never have gone in the first round out of high school.

I don't see how a bunch of freshman getting drafted highly means it's broken. Shouldn't it be the other way around? If all of these guys were going undrafted, then yeah something is broken. But I think the players are happy going in the top 10, and the teams wouldn't draft them if they didn't want them. There were plenty of upperclassmen to choose from.

I think they should add the provision: If you go straight out of high school and don't get drafted, you can still go back to college. Then follow the if you go to college, it must be for 2 years and they should increase the minimum GPA. That way if the kid gets the big head or bad advice, it doesn't ruin their lives. They would just have to find a school that still had schollies available. I also believe that agents should be allowed to pay for a kid's education and the kid should be allowed to market his own image!

Exactly. If they change the model and force kids to go to college for at least 2 years (which I am for) it will force some kids to go a different route around college. Perhaps overseas for 2 years. At least they can generate income while learning the game playing with pros. Some will come to college anyway and some will not.

I say change it back to the way it used to be. I didn't have an issue with it before the OAD rule. I don't want a kid to have to stay 2 or 3 years, because he wasn't ready out of High School. If the NBA is going to do something like that, they need to pay d league players more, or really promote that league.

I say change it back to the way it used to be. I didn't have an issue with it before the OAD rule. I don't want a kid to have to stay 2 or 3 years, because he wasn't ready out of High School. If the NBA is going to do something like that, they need to pay d league players more, or really promote that league.
I also favor this change. It's the most player-friendly, which is usually enough for me. If someone is ready after their freshman year I see no reason to artificially bar them from going. Just let the kids go out of high school too, so that you don't have all of the top guys enrolling in college for 6 months.

Reactions: trestyles
Have no restrictions other than being 18 years old by a certain date. It should be a free market system. If the NBA is a company and each team is a division of the company then they can decide what qualifications it takes to be employed. Quite frankly, the NBA doesn't care about the college game and the impact.

I think they should add the provision: If you go straight out of high school and don't get drafted, you can still go back to college. Then follow the if you go to college, it must be for 2 years and they should increase the minimum GPA. That way if the kid gets the big head or bad advice, it doesn't ruin their lives. They would just have to find a school that still had schollies available. I also believe that agents should be allowed to pay for a kid's education and the kid should be allowed to market his own image!

That would be an NCAA change, not an NBA change.

I also favor this change. It's the most player-friendly, which is usually enough for me. If someone is ready after their freshman year I see no reason to artificially bar them from going. Just let the kids go out of high school too, so that you don't have all of the top guys enrolling in college for 6 months.

It can also hurt the college game.

What if a player like Melo had to stay 3 years. Now that team is going to be dominant for the next 2 seasons.

Add that to the fact, these kids like to try and build super teams in college now.

I like the idea of kids being able to draft right out of high school, b/c I want to put the NBA teams and their execs in the hot seat making gambles on these young kids, just to have a good bit of them flame out or not live up to the hype.

That's one way to reason.
I think most of the OAD players have been drafted high and have done well. Why would you wish for them to not have a chance to showcase their skills even for 1 year of college ball, allowing them to be drafted high?
The GM's are happy, their college coaches seem happy, and the players are happy. Why wish them failure?

[QUOTE="NCAAUCoach, post: 881672, member: 736"}
Quite frankly, the NBA doesn't care about the college game and the impact.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. OAD worked pretty well for Tony Bradley. He would never have gone in the first round out of high school.
My guess is that the OAD rule probably had no impact on Tony. He was almost certainly going to play a year in college either way. He wasn't forced to play a year in college.

But a lot of HS players were forced to play in college. Almost every HS player in the top 20 could have gone straight from HS (if they wanted to), since almost all of them got drafted in the 1st round after a year in college. Now it might not be that straight-forward every year, but it seems that way this year.

LaVar Ball on the first day of Lakers practice

giphy.gif

It proves a lot. As long as the teams are drafting them how can anyone say they shouldn't be in the draft. Demand drives everything. If the NBA doesn't want to draft freshman then the GM's should send a message and don't draft them. It's pretty simple.

Yes, it is really just that simple, no rule is or was needed.

For a real and lasting solution NCAA and NBA would have to do the unthinkable.....work together! Since this seems unlikely, both will continue to operate like they are the only important entity.

For a real and lasting solution NCAA and NBA would have to do the unthinkable.....work together! Since this seems unlikely, both will continue to operate like they are the only important entity.
Why would the NBA include the NCAA in their discussions? How does that benefit the NBA? They hold all of the power for the time being.

My guess is that the OAD rule probably had no impact on Tony. He was almost certainly going to play a year in college either way. He wasn't forced to play a year in college.

But a lot of HS players were forced to play in college. Almost every HS player in the top 20 could have gone straight from HS (if they wanted to), since almost all of them got drafted in the 1st round after a year in college. Now it might not be that straight-forward every year, but it seems that way this year.
My point is many people are hoping to raise the limit to 2-3 years, or saying that it's useless for these guys to leave after 1 year. But doing so worked out really well for Bradley.

That's one way to reason.
I think most of the OAD players have been drafted high and have done well. Why would you wish for them to not have a chance to showcase their skills even for 1 year of college ball, allowing them to be drafted high?
The GM's are happy, their college coaches seem happy, and the players are happy. Why wish them failure?

Not wishing failure on the players, so much as failure by NBA executives to draft kids who have not proven themselves for a few years in college basketball. Half the time they are drafting these kids off youtube mixtape hype!

Have no restrictions other than being 18 years old by a certain date. It should be a free market system. If the NBA is a company and each team is a division of the company then they can decide what qualifications it takes to be employed. Quite frankly, the NBA doesn't care about the college game and the impact.

I think most folks identify the wrong NBA decision as the problem. It isn't the one & done rule that is causing all this early entry, it is the rookie salary deal that is causing all of this. A kid can nd no matter how well he plays can not get paid true market value for what 4yrs. It forces these kids to get that clock started sooner so waiting thru 4yrs of college costs them many millions.

I think most folks identify the wrong NBA decision as the problem. It isn't the one & done rule that is causing all this early entry, it is the rookie salary deal that is causing all of this. A kid can nd no matter how well he plays can not get paid true market value for what 4yrs. It forces these kids to get that clock started sooner so waiting thru 4yrs of college costs them many millions.

True, but there is a need for the rookie scale. What led to it was a ridiculous hold out/contract for Glenn Robinson. It's not like the rookie scale is insulting either. What is ridiculous is the contracts that come later. It's insane. But, it's negotiated so it is what it is.

There is a sound argument for getting the clock started so you can get the next check. Without a doubt. The rookie pay is nice, but not compared to the first free agent deal.

My mindset has been shifted over the years. It's not about what fans want. It's free market. Put the pressure on GM's to draft correctly and let the market dictate who gets drafted and who doesn't. What we will see is more value put on high school and summer ball. Kids will transfer more and more. When money gets involved to the level it is now...you have unintended consequences. You don't have as many kids willing to trust the process/system and get paid after college. The mindset of immediate gratification for them prevails.

True, but there is a need for the rookie scale. What led to it was a ridiculous hold out/contract for Glenn Robinson. It's not like the rookie scale is insulting either. What is ridiculous is the contracts that come later. It's insane. But, it's negotiated so it is what it is.

There is a sound argument for getting the clock started so you can get the next check. Without a doubt. The rookie pay is nice, but not compared to the first free agent deal.

My mindset has been shifted over the years. It's not about what fans want. It's free market. Put the pressure on GM's to draft correctly and let the market dictate who gets drafted and who doesn't. What we will see is more value put on high school and summer ball. Kids will transfer more and more. When money gets involved to the level it is now...you have unintended consequences. You don't have as many kids willing to trust the process/system and get paid after college. The mindset of immediate gratification for them prevails.

No, the rookie scale is not embarrassing other than its proportion to the scale paid to those not subject to it. It does allow a great talent to be had relatively cheap as compared to their true market value for an extended period of time.

I believe a 2 or 3 yr in college rule would force even more kids to skip college and in the end achieve just the opposite of what college fans want to see. That kid on the cusp of being a 1 and done today would not want to risk being stuck in college for a yr or 2 longer than he has to be. Now at least he can play his way in to the first round like the Collins kid from Wake did but a 2 or 3 yr rule sticks him in between being stuck in college longer than he should be and delaying his start of the rookie cap clock and his not being drafted and losing his eligibility to play in college.

I would like to see the NBA truly work with the NCAA and reduce the rookie salary cap wait for kids that stayed in college longer. That would take away the risk for the NBA as well as the kids, NBA gets a longer look and more developed incoming players, kids would not have to risk skipping college and not get drafted, and college fans get their players for more than 1 season.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Not wishing failure on the players, so much as failure by NBA executives to draft kids who have not proven themselves for a few years in college basketball. Half the time they are drafting these kids off youtube mixtape hype!

If that was the case. Seventh woods would've been drafted top 5 this year.

My point is many people are hoping to raise the limit to 2-3 years, or saying that it's useless for these guys to leave after 1 year. But doing so worked out really well for Bradley.
there are also examples of kids who would have been better off staying in school a year or two longer. whether the nba is the best place for a youngster to mature and learn and achieve long term success is debatable in many cases. sometimes people benefit in life by basing their decisions on multiple factors, not money alone.

I like the idea of kids being able to draft right out of high school, b/c I want to put the NBA teams and their execs in the hot seat making gambles on these young kids, just to have a good bit of them flame out or not live up to the hype.
i have no problem with kids being drafted out of high school if those kids have no interest in being a college student. but i don't like the contempt the nba has for college basketball using it as a free farm system and brief pit stop for oad'ers. personally, the only kids i want to see wearing college uniforms are the ones who want to be student athletes, which means going to class and staying a couple of years at least, which is a nice start enabling them to finish their education in summer school. the nba thinks they're helping themselves by pulling kids out of school early, but i'm not so sure. this past season nba tv ratings were down 14% (easy to google). the articles i read gave some theories to explain that, but there is a fundamental marketing error the nba has been making for years. by not letting players stay in college long enough to bond with the fans of that school the nba is missing out on a lot of viewers. when a popular players goes to the nba he takes with him those college fans who developed a loyalty over time which, in the case of oad'ers, is very few. the arrogant nba obviously has no interest in college basketball or their fans, content with their target audience of residents of nba cities, travelers to those cities, and kids who love sneakers and highlight reels. a smart long-term business plan for the nba would be to do everything they can to keep kids in college long enough to draw a large audience of college basketball fans.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT