ADVERTISEMENT

Thread about Running

Not bad for such a low-participant event. They manage to keep it interesting. I just wish they had a way to show all of there times and mileages on screen at once.

Hoka had banners on the the fences of the first stretch of trail which was like the first 18 miles. They really invested in this event. This could really boost walmsleys career if he holds on and gets the record

Walsmley got the 50 mile world record but couldn’t hang on for the 100K. He’s regrouping now. He has to officially finish the race for the record to count

In reading posts from this board, and discussions among my run friends - it is very interesting how many runners I know tend to graduate, evolve, migrate FROM road running and racing TO trail running.... but I don't think I know of anyone who has migrated the other way (from trails to preferring road running).

Obviously there are a lot of people who run both trails and road races, but trail running sure seems to be something that people can easily get hooked on, and then prefer that type of running only - , compared to road (street / pavement) running.

I've done maybe 4-5 trail half marathons in my life, out of the 110 half marathons I've run in the last 10-15 years. I sure can see the appeal of trail running. The road races get to seem all the same after a while.... flat hard surface with no variety, no footing challenge, little change of scenery (for me anyway) - even when I am in some of the most beautiful parts of the country/world (I've done a half marathon in all 50 states, DC, and 6 countries outside US) - I completely "zone out" and mostly all I seem to remember during the race is: "don't run into someone, don't get tripped from behind, go to the next water stop, next mile marker, keep hitting your pace goal"

Surely most trail races have none of that monotony... many are single track, with few runners bunched up, challenging footing and terrain, much prettier changes of scenery.

And maybe the trail marathons are a better test of guts and grit and stamina. I know generally you need to run at a slower pace on trails vs. roads due to footing challenges, hills, streams, rocks, etc... and they seem to be harsher on your legs. And it seems like most of the ultras ( >26.2 mile marathon distance) seem to be purely trail based usually, from my limited knowledge.

What are your thoughts on why trail running is more popular for many long-term serious runner fanatics than road races?

In reading posts from this board, and discussions among my run friends - it is very interesting how many runners I know tend to graduate, evolve, migrate FROM road running and racing TO trail running.... but I don't think I know of anyone who has migrated the other way (from trails to preferring road running).

Obviously there are a lot of people who run both trails and road races, but trail running sure seems to be something that people can easily get hooked on, and then prefer that type of running only - , compared to road (street / pavement) running.

I've done maybe 4-5 trail half marathons in my life, out of the 110 half marathons I've run in the last 10-15 years. I sure can see the appeal of trail running. The road races get to seem all the same after a while.... flat hard surface with no variety, no footing challenge, little change of scenery (for me anyway) - even when I am in some of the most beautiful parts of the country/world (I've done a half marathon in all 50 states, DC, and 6 countries outside US) - I completely "zone out" and mostly all I seem to remember during the race is: "don't run into someone, don't get tripped from behind, go to the next water stop, next mile marker, keep hitting your pace goal"

Surely most trail races have none of that monotony... many are single track, with few runners bunched up, challenging footing and terrain, much prettier changes of scenery.

And maybe the trail marathons are a better test of guts and grit and stamina. I know generally you need to run at a slower pace on trails vs. roads due to footing challenges, hills, streams, rocks, etc... and they seem to be harsher on your legs. And it seems like most of the ultras ( >26.2 mile marathon distance) seem to be purely trail based usually, from my limited knowledge.

What are your thoughts on why trail running is more popular for many long-term serious runner fanatics than road races?

Let me preface my reply by saying that I have nothing against road running, but it's not my preference. Also, in terms of races, I'm mostly talking about longer ones. I've never done a trail half marathon and only a couple 10Ks. Sorry this is a bit rambling and stream-of-conscience.

There are several reasons I prefer it, the primary one being location(s.) I'd just rather be in the woods than on a sidewalk. Trail running can take you to some epic views and it has a feel of adventure to it. It's true that most ultras are on trails--probably because it doesn't require shutting down roads, crossing guards, etc... You do get to be alone in some of the longer races. I was in one a couple years ago in Utah where I didn't see anyone for a couple hours. It was the middle of the night. I even took a five minute nap on the trail.

I'm just a sample size of one, but I find that the trail running community is more supportive of one another during races. You'll usually hang with someone for a while and get to know them a little bit as you push and pull each other along. I do like being alone at times and just enjoying the scenery. Being alone at night, though, can make the time and miles pass VERY slowly.

There's a saying that as you get older and slower, you go longer. The average age in ultras seems to be 40-50 if you look at the results, but it's becoming more popular with younger generations. Most of the participants approach it as an "all-day adventure" rather than a race. They enjoy themselves. Aid stations at trail races aren't your typical, just grab a cup of water from the volunteer and keep going. Most stop and chat with the volunteers as they peruse the buffet. Longer races bring more "exotic" foods--quesadillas, soups, pancakes, bacon, etc...

Really, the only downside is kind of obvious. Taking cars out of the equation, you're more likely to get seriously injured on a trail. I've been lucky and not had anything serious so far, but I've had some epic wipeouts--usually due to my foot catching a root or a rock. The worst was face-planting onto a rock, that left me with a black eye for a week or so. I've recently started using trekking poles that are pretty awesome. I used to think they were for "old" people but you'll see more and more people of all ages using them now.

I'm better at answering questions if you have any other. I'd definitely recommend trying trails to anyone who hasn't but is curious about them.

Reactions: Heelicious
Let me preface my reply by saying that I have nothing against road running, but it's not my preference. Also, in terms of races, I'm mostly talking about longer ones. I've never done a trail half marathon and only a couple 10Ks. Sorry this is a bit rambling and stream-of-conscience.

There are several reasons I prefer it, the primary one being location(s.) I'd just rather be in the woods than on a sidewalk. Trail running can take you to some epic views and it has a feel of adventure to it. It's true that most ultras are on trails--probably because it doesn't require shutting down roads, crossing guards, etc... You do get to be alone in some of the longer races. I was in one a couple years ago in Utah where I didn't see anyone for a couple hours. It was the middle of the night. I even took a five minute nap on the trail.

I'm just a sample size of one, but I find that the trail running community is more supportive of one another during races. You'll usually hang with someone for a while and get to know them a little bit as you push and pull each other along. I do like being alone at times and just enjoying the scenery. Being alone at night, though, can make the time and miles pass VERY slowly.

There's a saying that as you get older and slower, you go longer. The average age in ultras seems to be 40-50 if you look at the results, but it's becoming more popular with younger generations. Most of the participants approach it as an "all-day adventure" rather than a race. They enjoy themselves. Aid stations at trail races aren't your typical, just grab a cup of water from the volunteer and keep going. Most stop and chat with the volunteers as they peruse the buffet. Longer races bring more "exotic" foods--quesadillas, soups, pancakes, bacon, etc...

Really, the only downside is kind of obvious. Taking cars out of the equation, you're more likely to get seriously injured on a trail. I've been lucky and not had anything serious so far, but I've had some epic wipeouts--usually due to my foot catching a root or a rock. The worst was face-planting onto a rock, that left me with a black eye for a week or so. I've recently started using trekking poles that are pretty awesome. I used to think they were for "old" people but you'll see more and more people of all ages using them now.

I'm better at answering questions if you have any other. I'd definitely recommend trying trails to anyone who hasn't but is curious about them.
@whattheheel - great, descriptive post. All of this makes sense to me. I've seen what you've said to be true. I especially remember running just a few 2-mile laps with some friends doing a race of how many miles they could complete in 24 hours. It was called FANS. The comraderie of camping out, and sharing excellent food at the replenishment stops, was a lot of fun. These runners sure do become more of a close-knit family / community of runners.

@whattheheel - great, descriptive post. All of this makes sense to me. I've seen what you've said to be true. I especially remember running just a few 2-mile laps with some friends doing a race of how many miles they could complete in 24 hours. It was called FANS. The comraderie of camping out, and sharing excellent food at the replenishment stops, was a lot of fun. These runners sure do become more of a close-knit family / community of runners.

I used to "villianize" the really fast trail runners--until I got to know them and they're really nice folks. I figured they had to be arrogant if they were so good, but I was wrong. Quirky and introverted sometimes, but actually pretty modest and friendly.

I'm sharing a sad - but inspirational - story about a local Minneapolis running great, who grew up in a very small town in Minnesota - and won or placed in some national chmpionships in the mile to 5K distances.

She lost her ten year battle with a rare cancer, and passed away last night in end--of-life care. More than a great runner, her spirit and fight inspired thousands, and will continue to do so. Amazing how brave and positive she was throughout.

I really regret that I accidentally missed / passed up the chance to run with Gabe a few months ago, within a group run she led. I hope you enjoy this article from SI.com about her. I thought the writer did a nice job providing a window into Gabe's life and fight.

https://www.si.com/olympics/2019/06/11/gabe-grunewald-runner-cancer-battle-inspiration

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriele_Grunewald

(Gabe's Wikipedia page above)

I'm sharing a sad - but inspirational - story about a local Minneapolis running great, who grew up in a very small town in Minnesota - and won or placed in some national chmpionships in the mile to 5K distances.

She lost her ten year battle with a rare cancer, and passed away last night in end--of-life care. More than a great runner, her spirit and fight inspired thousands, and will continue to do so. Amazing how brave and positive she was throughout.

I really regret that I accidentally missed / passed up the chance to run with Gabe a few months ago, within a group run she led. I hope you enjoy this article from SI.com about her. I thought the writer did a nice job providing a window into Gabe's life and fight.

https://www.si.com/olympics/2019/06/11/gabe-grunewald-runner-cancer-battle-inspiration
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriele_Grunewald

(Gabe's Wikipedia page above)

I heard about the story a few days ago on a YouTube show. She was extremely tough, and a huge inspiration. A truly great ambassador for the sport of running. She will be missed by many, far beyond just those who knew her personally.

I heard about this gal from Georgia a couple months ago when people kept telling me I had a cameo in the video. I remember her from this race in Black Mountain, NC. I saw her several times and she was always friendly. I can't believe anyone would make the comments they did (shown in the video.)

The Mirvinator

so i just bought the garmin 245 music watch on amazon...hope i did it right, a bit of an impulse buyer when it comes to fitness.

i just want music, vitals, and strava...wife tried to get me into apple watch 4, but the garmin appears way more in my wheelhouse...i don’t care about answering a phone when i’m running or cooking, ya dig?

so i just bought the garmin 245 music watch on amazon...hope i did it right, a bit of an impulse buyer when it comes to fitness.

i just want music, vitals, and strava...wife tried to get me into apple watch 4, but the garmin appears way more in my wheelhouse...i don’t care about answering a phone when i’m running or cooking, ya dig?

Right on. The Garmim should be more accurate than an Apple Watch too. Plus you look like a real runner when you wear a garmim ;)

Right on. The Garmim should be more accurate than an Apple Watch too. Plus you look like a real runner when you wear a garmim ;)

this watch is insane, btw...there’s so much data and so many things i can adjust/change/add.

still can’t figure out why some of my earbuds connect and some don’t...you familiar with that part?...what earbuds always sync with a garmin?...google isn’t doing me any favors either.

this watch is insane, btw...there’s so much data and so many things i can adjust/change/add.

still can’t figure out why some of my earbuds connect and some don’t...you familiar with that part?...what earbuds always sync with a garmin?...google isn’t doing me any favors either.

Negative. I still have to use my phone to track my runs. I'm planning to get a Garmin soon though. Definitely want to get one by November if I attempt to run the Pinhoti 100.

I've never had much luck with bluetooth headphones while running, but I've only tried cheap pairs. I'm surprised there isn't something online about it though.

Reactions: gteeitup
Negative. I still have to use my phone to track my runs. I'm planning to get a Garmin soon though. Definitely want to get one by November if I attempt to run the Pinhoti 100.

I've never had much luck with bluetooth headphones while running, but I've only tried cheap pairs. I'm surprised there isn't something online about it though.

Unless you think you'll finish Pinhoti in under 20 hours, be looking for a lightweight USB battery to carry with you. 20 hours is about the most I've gotten with my Garmin.

Gteeitup, The menus and widgets aren't always intuitive but it gets more familiar with time and use.

well, there’s info, but it’s hot and cold...it’s like reading trip advisor.

and i refuse to pay more than a certain amount for that kind of thing...one person paid over $150 for earbuds.

Unless you think you'll finish Pinhoti in under 20 hours, be looking for a lightweight USB battery to carry with you. 20 hours is about the most I've gotten with my Garmin.

Gteeitup, The menus and widgets aren't always intuitive but it gets more familiar with time and use.

That’s the plan. I’ll probably leave one or two chargers in drop backs throughout the course.

There’s about zero chance I can finish in under 20 hours lol

Walmsley is 2 minutes up on CR pace right now. Could go for 14 hours if it stays cool.

Check out #WS100 on twitter if ya wanna see what ultra running is all about

Last edited:
Raising Heel is 2 minutes up on CR pace right now. Could get it if he hangs in there.

Check out #OOTB message board if you wanna see what not-ultra running is all about.

:D

Walmsley is 2 minutes up on CR pace right now. Could go for 14 hours if it stays cool.

Check out #WS100 on twitter if ya wanna see what ultra running is all about

Here's hoping he doesn't drop his pacer and get lost again this year.

Here's hoping he doesn't drop his pacer and get lost again this year.

For real. He’s 20 minutes up on course record, and the next section is where he lost several minutes when he said he saw a bear last year. He might get sub14

Hazen was like 9 minutes back last time I checked. Both of them are studs

Do you guys actually watch the races or just follow them? It would seem boring to me, but I'm not judging because I'm not a runner. I enjoy watching soccer and a lot of people find that boring too. I'm just curious how big these running events are.

Do you guys actually watch the races or just follow them? It would seem boring to me, but I'm not judging because I'm not a runner. I enjoy watching soccer and a lot of people find that boring too. I'm just curious how big these running events are.

They actually do Tour de France level coverage of some of the really big races and the scenery can be pretty nice. Other than that, it's more enjoyable to be at the race at an aid station and watch them come through.

Here's some a recap of coverage of UTMB last year.

Reactions: NoleSoup4U
For real. He’s 20 minutes up on course record, and the next section is where he lost several minutes when he said he saw a bear last year. He might get sub14

Hazen was like 9 minutes back last time I checked. Both of them are studs

Well, didn't get under 14, but another course record for him.

Reactions: uncboy10
Hell of a run by both Jim and Jared. I hate that Courtney got hurt, she had to drop. Apparently the women’s race was basically a tie at mile 90 before Clare Gallagher ran away with it.

What’s crazy is she hasn’t even really been training. She’s been in the arctic circle

kept up with it on twitter, but i enjoy the youtube condensed versions or docs about the races...it’s a sick, enjoyment for me.

Reactions: uncboy10
kept up with it on twitter, but i enjoy the youtube condensed versions or docs about the races...it’s a sick, enjoyment for me.

Those are what got me hooked. That damn ginger runner always has me getting crazy ideas

Those are what got me hooked. That damn ginger runner always has me getting crazy ideas

so i love this garmin watch...one of the best purchases i have ever made regarding fitness.

my issues are with it posting stats...does it always sync to my strava account so i never have log/record runs with my phone app?...i ask because it’s double posting from my watch and phone(because i’m logging through phone as well for fear of watch not accurately saving).

does that even make sense?

got the earbuds and music syncing as well...just a great all-around product.

so i love this garmin watch...one of the best purchases i have ever made regarding fitness.

my issues are with it posting stats...does it always sync to my strava account so i never have log/record runs with my phone app?...i ask because it’s double posting from my watch and phone(because i’m logging through phone as well for fear of watch not accurately saving).

Not sure, but I think it should automatically post to Strava if you set it up with your account

I'm not sure if I follow the problem. If it's like mine, the watch actually posts to Garmin Connect when it's on wi-fi and you can set up Strava to sync to your Garmin Connect Account. That may not be answering your question.

You can also download a golf app that lets you enter the course you're going to play and it calculates the approximate distance from you to the center of the green. It also will keep your score.

I'm not sure if I follow the problem. If it's like mine, the watch actually posts to Garmin Connect when it's on wi-fi and you can set up Strava to sync to your Garmin Connect Account. That may not be answering your question.

it has been, so far...but sometimes during runs it tells me “gps fail” or “tracking fail”?.

so before this watch i was carrying my phone in my pocket and then pulling out the phone as i completed the run to hit “finish”...i’m now starting and stopping with both watch and phone for fear of data not always syncing with watch...so when i look at my strava app, it’s posting double runs, not even equal distances, maybe .1 mile off and the time some seconds off.

but if what you guys are saying is true, it’s still going to always send data to strava from the watch so i shouldn’t worry.

just so i’m clear, i’m not even a half-marathoner, the 5&10k races are my wheelhouse right now...i love reading/analyzing the data for my runs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT