ADVERTISEMENT

Thread about Running

just so i’m clear, i’m not even a half-marathoner, the 5&10k races are my wheelhouse right now...i love reading/analyzing the data for my runs.

Hey - any distance is awesome! Glad you're enjoying it. It makes you a "real Heels fan" - not like those closet Dookie fans who post on some thread about not running. ;)

i have a july 4th 4 miler tomorrow morning that i’m pumped about because of this watch.
I have a 25K trail race on this Saturday July 6 in Afton, Minnesota. I've run maybe a half dozen trail half marathons, but 25K (15.5 miles) will be my longest trail distance. I "practiced" on the course last weekend. Wow it is a tough course with some steep long hills that most people who aren't elite trail runners need to walk. I'll be walking for sure at some points.

It is a 25K and 50K. People doing the 50K are tougher mentally than me for sure. It is 2 25K loops and I've heard doing the second loop can be like running on the surface of the sun. Sounds fun.

Good luck on your race tomorrow! Most of all I hope it is cool, and there is good food and drink and the end. I hate hot weather running.

Last edited:
it has been, so far...but sometimes during runs it tells me “gps fail” or “tracking fail”?.

so before this watch i was carrying my phone in my pocket and then pulling out the phone as i completed the run to hit “finish”...i’m now starting and stopping with both watch and phone for fear of data not always syncing with watch...so when i look at my strava app, it’s posting double runs, not even equal distances, maybe .1 mile off and the time some seconds off.

but if what you guys are saying is true, it’s still going to always send data to strava from the watch so i shouldn’t worry.

just so i’m clear, i’m not even a half-marathoner, the 5&10k races are my wheelhouse right now...i love reading/analyzing the data for my runs.

I may have slightly mispoken. My watch syncs to my Garmin Connect App on my phone with bluetooth. Not wi-fi. But Strava apparently constantly checks my Garmin Connect account and pulls in new information.

Even though it's the same account, if you use both devices at the same time, I guess it will record and post one run with your watch and one with your phone. The distance differences aren't unusual as I can run with a friend and our watches will be slightly different. The time difference may be that only one device is tracking moving time and you paused at some point, or that device thought you had paused?

Reactions: gteeitup
I have a 25K trail race on this Saturday July 6 in Afton, Minnesota. I've run maybe a half dozen trail half marathons, but 25K (15.5 miles) will be my longest trail distance. I "practiced" on the course last weekend. Wow it is a tough course with some steep long hills that most people who aren't elite trail runners need to walk. I'll be walking for sure at some points.
4bc0b24154b069338b9bae76c4de9776--lord-of-the-rings-middle-earth.jpg

Zach Bitter will be on ginger runner live tonight talking about his race. Should start any minute now

Fejes is at 308 miles through 68 hours. I’m guessing he will slow down considerably but if he kept it up he would be close to the world record

Reactions: gteeitup
Negative. I still have to use my phone to track my runs. I'm planning to get a Garmin soon though. Definitely want to get one by November if I attempt to run the Pinhoti 100.

I've never had much luck with bluetooth headphones while running, but I've only tried cheap pairs. I'm surprised there isn't something online about it though.

So, did you register for Pinhoti?

So, did you register for Pinhoti?

No, the waitlist was already pretty deep and I don’t think I’m ready for a 100 yet anyways. I’m looking into 50 milers right now. I figure if I do one in the next four or five months I could be ready for a 100 by next fall. It’s just hard to stay motivated and build training volume when there isn’t a race on the schedule to keep me accountable.

Kipchoge is taking a second crack at running a sub 2 hour marathon. Streams on YouTube tonight at 1:30 am

4:34 per mile for 26.2 miles. That’s completely insane

No, the waitlist was already pretty deep and I don’t think I’m ready for a 100 yet anyways. I’m looking into 50 milers right now. I figure if I do one in the next four or five months I could be ready for a 100 by next fall. It’s just hard to stay motivated and build training volume when there isn’t a race on the schedule to keep me accountable.

You're young and have plenty of time. But you're right. I used to be good at building up distance via races. In recent years, I will tell myself I will do those long runs on my own (or with a friend.) More often than not, that doesn't happen and I get to the race underprepared.

If you're in Clemson, you should head up to Oconee State Park and get on the Foothills Trail some. It's a great trail.

Reactions: uncboy10
You're young and have plenty of time. But you're right. I used to be good at building up distance via races. In recent years, I will tell myself I will do those long runs on my own (or with a friend.) More often than not, that doesn't happen and I get to the race underprepared.

If you're in Clemson, you should head up to Oconee State Park and get on the Foothills Trail some. It's a great trail.

I’ve been thinking about trying to do the whole thing. Would probably break it up over four or five trips to scout it first then see if I could do it one big push. I’m surprised it’s not more off a target for people going for FKTs. Current record is like 14:30 which seems soft to me

I’ve been thinking about trying to do the whole thing. Would probably break it up over four or five trips to scout it first then see if I could do it one big push. I’m surprised it’s not more off a target for people going for FKTs. Current record is like 14:30 which seems soft to me

I know the guy with the record. He was really fast until knee damage caught up to him. It took me and two friends 23+ hours, though we did it in what "they" say is the harder direction. It's certainly not nine hours harder. So many bridges on that trail. A friend told me that the trail is maintained by Duke Energy as a condition of them damming a river (Chattooga?) to generate electricity.

The worst part about doing it straight through is the 33ish mile Laurel Valley section that has no road access. When you get into that part, you're committed.

I know the guy with the record. He was really fast until knee damage caught up to him. It took me and two friends 23+ hours, though we did it in what "they" say is the harder direction. It's certainly not nine hours harder. So many bridges on that trail. A friend told me that the trail is maintained by Duke Energy as a condition of them damming a river (Chattooga?) to generate electricity.

The worst part about doing it straight through is the 33ish mile Laurel Valley section that has no road access. When you get into that part, you're committed.

I mostly run solo so it’s hard to scout stuff like that. Everything has to be an out and back since I can’t put a second car at the end of the run. Did you start at table rock or Oconee?

I actually the elevation profile printed and up on my fridge. It’s been something I’ve been thinking about for awhile but there are some serious logistical challenges for doing a trail like that solo.

1:59:40.2

Arguably the greatest run in human history. This is about 1000 times more impressive than Roger Bannister breaking the four minute barrier.

Kipchoge is the GOAT

1:59:40.2

Arguably the greatest run in human history. This is about 1000 times more impressive than Roger Bannister breaking the four minute barrier.

Kipchoge is the GOAT

I'm not sure I could have stayed with him for the even the last 0.2 miles.

I mostly run solo so it’s hard to scout stuff like that. Everything has to be an out and back since I can’t put a second car at the end of the run. Did you start at table rock or Oconee?

I actually the elevation profile printed and up on my fridge. It’s been something I’ve been thinking about for awhile but there are some serious logistical challenges for doing a trail like that solo.

We started at Oconee, though I honestly can't remember why. We had one drop bag put out somewhere maybe 1/2-2/3 of the way in. I'm not positive on this, but I think there are "trail angels" you can get to give you a shuttle ride. Seems like we encountered one after we got back to our car.

I'm not sure I could have stayed with him for the even the last 0.2 miles.

That kick was the craziest thing I’ve ever seen. I just wish they would have shown the angle from the side more during the run, because most of the time it was basically just showing the pacers running in front of him.

We started at Oconee, though I honestly can't remember why. We had one drop bag put out somewhere maybe 1/2-2/3 of the way in. I'm not positive on this, but I think there are "trail angels" you can get to give you a shuttle ride. Seems like we encountered one after we got back to our car.

I’ve thought about starting at TR to get the biggest climb out of the way right from the beginning. I’ve got a 12L Salomon pack so I wonder if I could do it completely unsupported... A “trail angel” would be helpful though

Yeah, so last week foam rolling was commonly prescribed for itbs. This week it is a no no. Don’t worry, next week there won’t any such condition as itbs.

Commonly prescribed by who? Google “itbs foam rolling” and pretty much everything you will find is about why it’s not a good idea. Maybe you should head back to the thread about not running because you’re clearly out of your element here.

Commonly prescribed by who? Google “itbs foam rolling” and pretty much everything you will find is about why it’s not a good idea. Maybe you should head back to the thread about not running because you’re clearly out of your element here.
I said last week. Keep up with times dude!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT