ADVERTISEMENT

Tokyo Olympics

Unless she's faking it, I'm going to have to basically disagree with almost everything you said. The last sentence is true though.
I want the details.

I can't ride with panic attack being a reason to just quit. Again, if something seriously happened or she's hurt then all good...but you can't give me "the pressure is too great" when you're at an extremely pressure filled event.

Does he qualify as the young people you were going on about? If so, great. I'm younger than he.
He's not a senior and he knows he shouldn't be exclusively targeting seniors even with a product that is mostly geared toward them...so he's all good with me.

But I'll admit to being surprised AARP is advertising at the Olympics. I'm sure it has something to do with their push to target a younger audience than usual for them. Maybe all olds aren't like @keysersosay#1? Hope for us all.

Also though, kinda proving my point. In this very limited sample, the olds on this board aren't watching the Olympics but your wife and my wife, who are most brand's target audience, are watching. So I do think they know what they are doing.

bad news looming....our women's three-on-three basketball team, which is packed with WNBA players, lost and is in danger of being knocked completely out. If that happens, I might never be able to watch another WNBA game. But then come to think of it, I've never watched a WNBA game and I didn't know there was such a thing as women's three-on-three BB, so I think I'll be OK.

And don't call me a misogynist. I don't watch the NBA either.

Interesting.. so is it make it take it like backyard ball? Call your own fouls?

Reactions: bluetoe
He's not a senior and he knows he shouldn't be exclusively targeting seniors even with a product that is mostly geared toward them...so he's all good with me.

But I'll admit to being surprised AARP is advertising at the Olympics. I'm sure it has something to do with their push to target a younger audience than usual for them. Maybe all olds aren't like @keysersosay#1? Hope for us all.

Hopefully some youngs are like @keysersosay#1

It's happening from the executive team, which is doing it so they look good to the consumer, which is usually young.
I'd be surprised to see consumers focused on Board composition. Executive management teams, absolutely, as they're the face of the company. I just don't see a ton of consumers knowing who the independent directors on a company's Board are, let alone making purchasing decisions based off that.
Investors like to think they have control over the board, but how often do you see a board member truly selected by the investors?
Literally all the time. Yes, some retail investor with 5 shares of Apple isn't gonna be calling the shots on who gets selected to the Board. But the institutional investors, the shareholders with the real money invested in the company, definitely determine the Board make up.

Actually, a plurality of Olympic viewers (at least on TV) are older. So there are some potential customers watching. Plus it works out great for them since the live events are on right around the time seniors are getting ready for lunch.

I'd be surprised to see consumers focused on Board composition. Executive management teams, absolutely, as they're the face of the company. I just don't see a ton of consumers knowing who the independent directors on a company's Board are, let alone making purchasing decisions based off that.
I guess we just read different news and have different experiences in the places where we work, because I've seen/read about it happening all the time. They've moved on from just wanting a minority CEO.
Literally all the time. Yes, some retail investor with 5 shares of Apple isn't gonna be calling the shots on who gets selected to the Board. But the institutional investors, the shareholders with the real money invested in the company, definitely determine the Board make up.
Right, which is why I said...
Maybe you have some that are forced out or hand picked by a large investor like a hedge fund or a Buffet type

Yeah, @tarheel0910 I'm super against this.

It's the freaking Olympics, it's supposed to be stressful. You're supposed to grind and feel like your mind and body can't push any harder. You're supposed to learn how to deal with that because you are at the top of your sport and your teammates count on you.

You don't quit when it gets tough.

This is incredibly soft and it should impact the legacy she has.

Wait, what...there's a 3 on 3 basketball game? Are y'all being for real?
No, there is no 3 on 3. There is 3x3. Apparently it's literally called 3 x 3, not 3 on 3 like a normal American (you know, the ones who invented the sport) would call it. Add that to your list of dumb things about the Olympics.

Reactions: uncfootball-
Just send them to the pray away the gay camp you surely attended with that type of opinion.

Maybe a better way to say it would be to have less KNOWN dykes. Meaning, the dykes don't have to tell me about their dykeness. Be a dyke. But just do it quietly. Or be a hetero, and do that quietly. I don't care. Just whatever you do, do it quietly.

It's the freaking Olympics, it's supposed to be stressful. You're supposed to grind and feel like your mind and body can't push any harder. You're supposed to learn how to deal with that because you are at the top of your sport and your teammates count on you.

Part of being a champion is being able to deal with the pressure and stress that competition puts on you. I'm sure there will be an outpouring of oxymoronic statements like "she is so strong for acknowledging this and stepping aside".

Which sucks because I do like Biles and think she's far and away the best female gymnast in the world (at least in my completely amateur opinion just based off the eye test).

So I'll side with what I'm sure the older crowd will agree with here...if this is indeed why she bailed then this is so freaking soft it's ridiculous. I do think some people use "mental health" as a gigantic crutch for when things aren't going their way or that they are afraid of something.

I'll wait for the full details (something genuinely really shitty may have happened to her or she is physically hurt) but if she bailed on her team and her own goals because of a panic attack or something then that's so weak.

I do think we are raising extremely weak minded teenagers/early 20 somethings.
Lighten up on SB...she obviously sprained her feelz.

Yeah, @tarheel0910 I'm super against this.

That's a pretty cryptic statement by her. Not sure we really know anything more after that statement. This isn't her first go around with the Olympics, so I doubt it's just the stress of performing. There has to be more to it than just stress from performance. Unless she gives more details I guess we'll never know.

The loophole the Olympic committee gave to Russia is laughable. Russia is banned, but not athletes from Russia. Pathetic.
How does that work? So all the athletes can compete? But the coaches, fans, physical turf of Russia is banned? Makes no sense. Do the Russian athletes just compete as independent, not representing Russia?

Interesting.. so is it make it take it like backyard ball? Call your own fouls?
I have to admit, I was channel surfing and came across the Olympics and decided I'd stick my toe in the water and sure enough I got bit. It was women's 3X3 (three-on-three) basketball and our women were playing the Russi....the ROC. I did watch until the end but I didn't catch if it was make it take it, but they were definitely checking the ball behind the line like a pickup game. And of necessity, it was officiated.

My thoughts were...WTF is this crap doing in the Olympics? There are spectator sports and then there are sports where the only real interest is in participation. Pickup basketball is the latter and women's pickup BB is so not a spectator sport you have to wonder why they would ever dream this idiocy up as an Olympic sport. Next Olympics I'm expecting to see cockroach racing.

I've been enjoying rooting against them, and all the Chinese athletes.
I don't have a problem rooting against them. The loophole they created for them is what's pathetic. It's almost as bad as the NCAA calling them "student athletes." At least don't let them wear Russia's colors. Maybe put them in pink with a unicorn as their symbol or something like that. Putin probably wouldn't have let them go if they made them wear that.

Last edited:
I've been enjoying rooting against them, and all the Chinese athletes.
eh- I have nothing against the athletes... it is the oppressive and corrupt administrations, regimes, national olympic committees / administrators, governments I am against.

Do I think these countries deserve to prevail, with their corrupt practices, especially how they mistreat, abuse, persecute their citizens, and inhabitants of other races, religions, etc? No. But I don't hold any of that against this or that individual human / athlete, just trying his or her best to win.

I don't have a problem rooting against them. The loophole they created for them is what's pathetic. It's almost as bad as the NCAA calling them "student athletes." At least don't let them wear Russia's colors. Maybe put them in pink with a unicorn as their symbol or something like that. Putin probably wouldn't have let them go if they made them where that.
the photo i just saw on instagram makes me wish every athlete wore the usa men’s gymnast get-up.

I don't have a problem rooting against them. The loophole they created for them is what's pathetic. It's almost as bad as the NCAA calling them "student athletes." At least don't let them wear Russia's colors. Maybe put them in pink with a unicorn as their symbol or something like that. Putin probably wouldn't have let them go if they made them where that.
It started Sunday night, think. I don't have any dish or cable, just the antenna. It was pretty late, and I guess it was reruns from the earlier stuff. The ROC was against the USA men's volleyball. That's fun to watch, for me. It's pretty fast-paced and they score pretty quick. Anyway, I see "ROC" and looked it up... BS. It's customary to root against the Russians, but this was even more reason.

Last night, I saw synchro-men's diving... pretty impressive. The British guys beat the Chinese. One of the few "aquatic" sports I can handle. I get bored watching people swim. As George Carlin said (@UNC '92 ) "swimming isn't a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning." It's boring.

I have to admit, I was channel surfing and came across the Olympics and decided I'd stick my toe in the water and sure enough I got bit. It was women's 3X3 (three-on-three) basketball and our women were playing the Russi....the ROC. I did watch until the end but I didn't catch if it was make it take it, but they were definitely checking the ball behind the line like a pickup game. And of necessity, it was officiated.

My thoughts were...WTF is this crap doing in the Olympics? There are spectator sports and then there are sports where the only real interest is in participation. Pickup basketball is the latter and women's pickup BB is so not a spectator sport you have to wonder why they would ever dream this idiocy up as an Olympic sport. Next Olympics I'm expecting to see cockroach racing.
Skateboarding. Pathetic. I get snowboarding is (IMO) a legit winter event, but the very little I saw of skateboarding was underwhelming. Dudes dressed in super baggy clothes falling all over the place.

Then there is stuff like air rifle (shooting). Its not even like "run 100 meters, jump over these obstacles, and shoot accurately while your heart rate is up".

It's just "focus your aim on the site, pull the trigger". How in the world is something like this an "athletic / olympic event"? It takes practice, but no physical training. 55-year old 300 pound good ol' boy Bubba might be just as likely to win if he practices enough.

Reactions: bluetoe
eh- I have nothing against the athletes... it is the oppressive and corrupt administrations, regimes, national olympic committees / administrators, governments I am against.

Do I think these countries deserve to prevail, with their corrupt practices, especially how they mistreat, abuse, persecute their citizens, and inhabitants of other races, religions, etc? No. But I don't hold any of that against this or that individual human / athlete, just trying his or her best to win.
Well, I don't get that deep with it. China was responsible for Covid, and Russia sucks. So, I pull against those teams and pull for the USA in the Olympics. I do agree with what you said, however.

Skateboarding. Pathetic. I get snowboarding is (IMO) a legit winter event, but the very little I saw of skateboarding was underwhelming. Dudes dressed in super baggy clothes falling all over the place.

Then there is stuff like air rifle (shooting). Its not even like "run 100 meters, jump over these obstacles, and shoot accurately while your heart rate is up".

It's just "focus your aim on the site, pull the trigger". How in the world is something like this an "athletic / olympic event"? It takes practice, but no physical training. 55-year old 300 pound good ol' boy Bubba might be just as likely to win if he practices enough.
I liked seeing Tony Hawk doing commentary. And, skateboarding is fun to watch.

It started Sunday night, think. I don't have any dish or cable, just the antenna. It was pretty late, and I guess it was reruns from the earlier stuff. The ROC was against the USA men's volleyball. That's fun to watch, for me. It's pretty fast-paced and they score pretty quick. Anyway, I see "ROC" and looked it up... BS. It's customary to root against the Russians, but this was even more reason.

Last night, I saw synchro-men's diving... pretty impressive. The British guys beat the Chinese. One of the few "aquatic" sports I can handle. I get bored watching people swim. As George Carlin said (@UNC '92 ) "swimming isn't a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning." It's boring.
Since my son is an avid high school swimmer, we get into watching some of the events a bit. But just show us the finals. Who cares about the prelims? And the commercials are unbearable. It seems the commercial time- to- event broadcast time ratio has to be at least 2 to 1.

Isn't it ironic how old, white Americans get pissed at American athletes for being exactly what they're supposedly thankful that our country affords in its citizens, and then roots against American athletes in the Olympics? I owe a big thank-you to @keysersosay#1 . If it hadn't been for him complaining about it, I probably wouldn't have started watching the games themselves.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT