ADVERTISEMENT

Tokyo Olympics

Isn't it ironic how old, white Americans get pissed at American athletes for being exactly what they're supposedly thankful that our country affords in its citizens, and then roots against American athletes in the Olympics? I owe a big thank-you to @keysersosay#1 . If it hadn't been for him complaining about it, I probably wouldn't have started watching the games themselves.
I think I've come up with a compromise for everyone. How about we all pull for the Americans to win and then hope they faceplant and break their nose on the way to the podium. I think everyone would get something out of that.

Reactions: uncfootball-
Skateboarding. Pathetic. I get snowboarding is (IMO) a legit winter event, but the very little I saw of skateboarding was underwhelming. Dudes dressed in super baggy clothes falling all over the place.

Then there is stuff like air rifle (shooting). Its not even like "run 100 meters, jump over these obstacles, and shoot accurately while your heart rate is up".

It's just "focus your aim on the site, pull the trigger". How in the world is something like this an "athletic / olympic event"? It takes practice, but no physical training. 55-year old 300 pound good ol' boy Bubba might be just as likely to win if he practices enough.
Yeah, it was super underwhelming. The level of competition is so bad too. How many people can afford the gear and access to many of these sports? Winter sports are a total joke in terms of barrier to entry, but a ton of these summer sports aren't cheap or easy to do either.

Yeah, it was super underwhelming. The level of competition is so bad too. How many people can afford the gear and access to many of these sports? Winter sports are a total joke in terms of barrier to entry, but a ton of these summer sports aren't cheap or easy to do either.
Agreed it was underwhelming. I didn't really know what it was going to be going in. I was expecting it to be more like the X games, which is pretty fun to watch. This just looked like something they put together that day without anywhere good to skate.

Reactions: Heelicious
I want the details.

I can't ride with panic attack being a reason to just quit. Again, if something seriously happened or she's hurt then all good...but you can't give me "the pressure is too great" when you're at an extremely pressure filled event.
I'm disappointed and, frankly, surprised. That is the last place you want to be when you have to quit on your teammates.

I just think about the legacies... and, that's even more pressure for the athletes, but it's gotta be a part of their lives. They've been competing forever. And, I think about the athletes that would have given anything to get to compete in those games.

Panic attacks? Guess she never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

I still say there is more to it than what they are saying. This isn't anything new for her. Why would she just all of a sudden get too nervous about competing? It just doesn't add up.
I’m not commenting on the ‘mental health’ aspect as I’m not equipped to. But I’ve had panic attacks most of my adult life. I play golf 1-2 times a week every week. A couple of months ago I had one of the worst panic attacks I’ve ever had on the course and had to quit mid round. It’s almost as sometimes they come out of nowhere. Not fun.

I still say there is more to it than what they are saying. This isn't anything new for her. Why would she just all of a sudden get too nervous about competing? It just doesn't add up.
Wasn't there some kind of scandal about sexual impropriety on the team, or something?

Skateboarding. Pathetic. I get snowboarding is (IMO) a legit winter event, but the very little I saw of skateboarding was underwhelming. Dudes dressed in super baggy clothes falling all over the place.

Then there is stuff like air rifle (shooting). Its not even like "run 100 meters, jump over these obstacles, and shoot accurately while your heart rate is up".

It's just "focus your aim on the site, pull the trigger". How in the world is something like this an "athletic / olympic event"? It takes practice, but no physical training. 55-year old 300 pound good ol' boy Bubba might be just as likely to win if he practices enough.
and who watches it? I'll even watch dully repetitive competition axe throwing, but shooting a BB gun only thrills me if the squirrel jumps straight up.

• Haha
Reactions: Heelicious
the photo i just saw on instagram makes me wish every athlete wore the usa men’s gymnast get-up.
the women's is better...

PDP_BikeUnitard_Midnight1_1200x.jpg

I’m not commenting on the ‘mental health’ aspect as I’m not equipped to. But I’ve had panic attacks most of my adult life. I play golf 1-2 times a week every week. A couple of months ago I had one of the worst panic attacks I’ve ever had on the course and had to quit mid round. It’s almost as sometimes they come out of nowhere. Not fun.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not questioning mental health being an issue or how much it can impact someone. I have several people close to me who struggle with it and I had a close friend commit suicide. I'm very familiar with how difficult it is to deal with. I was referring to the reasoning behind the panic attack or anxiety or whatever happened. Makes me think that something more personal happened to her and she doesn't want to share it. Which is certainly her right. She doesn't have to share something that she doesn't want to.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not questioning mental health being an issue or how much it can impact someone. I have several people close to me who struggle with it and I had a close friend commit suicide. I'm very familiar with how difficult it is to deal with. I was referring to the reasoning behind the panic attack or anxiety or whatever happened. Makes me think that something more personal happened to her and she doesn't want to share it. Which is certainly her right. She doesn't have to share something that she doesn't want to.
I was just commenting on the panic attack situation. I’ve played golf all of my life and out of nowhere I had an ‘episode’ that was so bad I had to quit mid round. Sometimes panic attacks don’t have a reason. And, of course, you could be right that there’s more, I was just adding my 2 cents since I deal w it.

I was just commenting on the panic attack situation. I’ve played golf all of my life and out of nowhere I had an ‘episode’ that was so bad I had to quit mid round. Sometimes panic attacks don’t have a reason. And, of course, you could be right that there’s more, I was just adding my 2 cents since I deal w it.
Shooting a quadruple bogey on the 7th because you were hung over isn't the same thing as a panic attack. ;)

It started Sunday night, think. I don't have any dish or cable, just the antenna. It was pretty late, and I guess it was reruns from the earlier stuff. The ROC was against the USA men's volleyball. That's fun to watch, for me. It's pretty fast-paced and they score pretty quick. Anyway, I see "ROC" and looked it up... BS. It's customary to root against the Russians, but this was even more reason.

Last night, I saw synchro-men's diving... pretty impressive. The British guys beat the Chinese. One of the few "aquatic" sports I can handle. I get bored watching people swim. As George Carlin said (@UNC '92 ) "swimming isn't a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning." It's boring.
Isn't that the truth. Carlin was right.

Reactions: strummingram
were you looking at a long tee shot over water?

Actually, a plurality of Olympic viewers (at least on TV) are older. So there are some potential customers watching. Plus it works out great for them since the live events are on right around the time seniors are getting ready for lunch.

@keysersosay#1 is not the only one who has given up on the Olympics.

Fantastic news as the anti American gang of women's soccer players got beat by our neighbors to the North... Canada. These self centered spoiled left wing jerks got exactly what they deserved, especially that awful toxic Rapinoe , who if i never see her again I will be delighted. They can take their fake outrage at America, their phony kneeling and left wing bag of virtue signaling and shuffle off to oblivion.

Fantastic news as the anti American gang of women's soccer players got beat by our neighbors to the North... Canada. These self centered spoiled left wing jerks got exactly what they deserved, especially that awful toxic Rapinoe , who if i never see her again I will be delighted. They can take their fake outrage at America, their phony kneeling and left wing bag of virtue signaling and shuffle off to oblivion.

If I knew how I'd post that ol Seinfeld clip right about now because that really is a shame.

giphy.gif

8803f770d0a6da2b97adea27af9d537d7ea90ece.gifv

• Haha
Reactions: uncboy10
Way too many guys trying to hang with kipchoge right now. Going to be carnage in the last 10k

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT