ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

We took three OL from the portal one of Fed's yrs, around the time when Brandon Harris came and the center (from UF) had a few decent games before getting hurt, but overall that experiment wasn't amazing.

Regardless, i'm really excited we have another Center here to compete.

So Johnson comes back for UNC and then Mack goes out and gets a Center from Miami. Interesting.
I'm kinda thinking Quiron was going to be second-string behind Anderson anyway if Anderson was healthy, no? Both had some really tough games, but Anderson looked better in 2020.

I'm kinda thinking Quiron was going to be second-string behind Anderson anyway if Anderson was healthy, no? Both had some really tough games, but Anderson looked better in 2020.
Correct, just thought it was interesting Q comes back around the same time they nab a Center from the portal. Was really excited to see what Baker could do with us but I guess they're not ready to play him. Curious to see if they start Rice right away and if Sutton/Pounds gets a shot to start.

Reactions: blazers
When Anderson is healthy, he's definitely better than Johnson. But Searels has a major issue with pets, and Johnson is his pet.

Correct, just thought it was interesting Q comes back around the same time they nab a Center from the portal. Was really excited to see what Baker could do with us but I guess they're not ready to play him. Curious to see if they start Rice right away and if Sutton/Pounds gets a shot to start.
Baker should have the footwork, from all those years of basketball, to play T. But Searels seems to love guys playing T who are foot slow and a bit fat, at times even awkward trying to move.

Q didn't play much 2019 or 2020 so that pet part seems hackneyed.
Certainly by Spring of 2019, he was among the 8 that are standard for Searels' history of favorites.

As I like walk on stories, that began to really bother only when I saw 0 development of the OL,` with Searels still obsessed with the same guys getting all the reps.

Searels is who he is; his history tells you what to expect.

If we are lucky for 2022, Searels will pick new guys for his favorite 8 who will be improvements over the ones who left. If we get in 2022 what the VT and Miami fans before us got, Searels will pick an 8 that is as mediocre as his last group of 8 favorites.

SC QB Kedon Slovis is headed to Pitt.

I assume that means that Narduzzi was not happy to just give the job to Nick Patti. I think Slovis' development has been hurt by the coaching issues there. Everybody knew that Helton was dead man walking for the past 2 seasons. Too bad for him that Whipple is gone.

I assume that means that Narduzzi was not happy to just give the job to Nick Patti. I think Slovis' development has been hurt by the coaching issues there. Everybody knew that Helton was dead man walking for the past 2 seasons. Too bad for him that Whipple is gone.
Or it means Slovis reached out and wanted to go there to be close to his girlfriend.

He chose Pitt because they get every single starter back on offense except their 2nd best tightend. Including their entire offensive line.

OLB NOAH TAYLOR TO TRANSFER TO CAROLINA FROM UVA-Great addition to the defense.​

Compared to most of our players, he exhibits sound fundamentals. Even if Evans takes a big step up and shows his potential, Taylor will provide great depth.

Reactions: Archer2
Just hope that he doesn’t take away too many reps from Des.
Our DL wasn't good.

Des, only a true soph, wasn't starting material. He was 3rd best olb behind Collins, Tomon, Rucker.

It sucks that guys kinda get recruited over more via portal than otherwise, but Des needs to take a massive step fwd for the DL to be decent when he is on the field.

Reactions: chickenhunter
If that's the way this staff is going to act from now on, then good. I think one of the problems with this staff is that there hasn't been enough tough love.
Agreed. I don't want to talk down on any player but it's clear that the kids that entered the portal just weren't cutting it. Now it's time for the high ranked kids to start producing. Saw some clips of Rice standing up an Alabama recruit at one of the all star games, really hope he gets a shot at LT/RT day one. Program needs some young juice.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Willing to bet it wasn't his choice. Staff knows they need different pieces to get a different result.
So why didn't the staff play those other players this year? We know they play freshmen in the secondary if the they want to. See Grimes for example.

And brings up a necessary point: how much development of players have we seen? Is Grimes any bette than he was in his first game? Grimes is a 5 star getting a lot of PT and still making mental mistakes.

My assessment is that Mack assembled as weak a set of position coaches as can be found in the ACC, and that the staff is a huge problem in every way but recruiting.

Reactions: HeelFan58
So why didn't the staff play those other players this year? We know they play freshmen in the secondary if the they want to. See Grimes for example.

And brings up a necessary point: how much development of players have we seen? Is Grimes any bette than he was in his first game? Grimes is a 5 star getting a lot of PT and still making mental mistakes.

My assessment is that Mack assembled as weak a set of position coaches as can be found in the ACC, and that the staff is a huge problem in every way but recruiting.
Grimes pretty much had to play with Duck getting injured, no? Grimes was also supposed to be a true freshman this year, going to give him a little more time before I call him a bust.

Reactions: HeelFan58
Grimes pretty much had to play with Duck getting injured, no? Grimes was also supposed to be a true freshman this year, going to give him a little more time before I call him a bust.
You are missing the point about coaching. Grimes was a 5* recruit who has been on campus for 2 years, getting coached by Bly for 2 years. I see no improvement after 2 years of Bly coaching.

And that is not true only of Bly. The OL still makes endless mistakes, 3 years, and players who seen major action for 3 years are no better than they were thier first game under Searels. The DL shows no sign of being any better coached than it was the first game under Cross - its just has much more depth.

Mack's staff is poor at everything but recruiting.

Reactions: chickenhunter
You are missing the point about coaching. Grimes was a 5* recruit who has been on campus for 2 years, getting coached by Bly for 2 years. I see no improvement after 2 years of Bly coaching.

And that is not true only of Bly. The OL still makes endless mistakes, 3 years, and players who seen major action for 3 years are no better than they were thier first game under Searels. The DL shows no sign of being any better coached than it was the first game under Cross - its just has much more depth.

Mack's staff is poor at everything but recruiting.
Not missing the point at all, just answering your question. He's young and still getting acclimated to the college game, should've been in high school last year. He also enrolled last August, not like he's had two full off-seasons.

OL just isn't good, but I know you want to blame it all on the coaching. None of them were highly ranked at all.

DL outside of Ritzie and Murphy are also not good, again, none of those Fedora guys were highly ranked.

Not missing the point at all, just answering your question. He's young and still getting acclimated to the college game, should've been in high school last year. He also enrolled last August, not like he's had two full off-seasons.

OL just isn't good, but I know you want to blame it all on the coaching. None of them were highly ranked at all.

DL outside of Ritzie and Murphy are also not good, again, none of those Fedora guys were highly ranked.
Who in the conference not named Clemson , has highly ranked DL and OL recruits? The beginning of the season the OL was being touted as a strength and we had 10 or so starters back on the DL.

Me watching scrubs from our D hit the portal:

df8.gif

Who in the conference not named Clemson , has highly ranked DL and OL recruits? The beginning of the season the OL was being touted as a strength and we had 10 or so starters back on the DL.
Who touted the OL as a strength? Whomever said that looked at the offensive numbers instead of the tape. Getting all those starters back on both sides weren't a plus outside of Murphy on the DL. Another guy on the OL is entering the NFL, insuring that we'll finally see some new blood on the line.

Reactions: heelfan1961
Apparently several of them are going the draft route. I guess nobody told them that you have to actually be good at football to play in the NFL.
Don't blame Marcus for at least attempting to try and get into the NFL and not wanting to stay for a 6th year at UNC. Need new blood on both sides of the ball.

Reactions: heelfan1961
Apparently several of them are going the draft route. I guess nobody told them that you have to actually be good at football to play in the NFL.
Not if your OL coach sucks. RJ Prince wasn't a very good college player and he spent 3 yrs getting paid by Baltimore and New England.

Mckethan doesn't have quick feet, but he's huge... kinda like RJ Prince.
Ezeudu is okay at either guard or tackle - he'll get drafted.

Our biggest problems imho were
- the Centers being man-handled 1 on 1. Anderson and Quiron were hurt, maybe that's an excuse. Ty Murray had to medically retire. We're kinda lacking quality, healthy, athletic bodies here. You'd think there would be a third-string option that could eventually have been better than Anderson/Quiron.

- Twists/stunts - the interior got mauled trying to defend against twists ALL yr. That's miscommunication and poor recognition which never got corrected by coaching.

- Slowness on the edge. Jordan Tucker and Asim Richards aren't awful but don't seem great laterally. Too frequently they were beaten by speedy little DE on the edge - like the guys at GT.

- Longo's tiny playbook doesn't keep the DL guessing at all, never uses tempo to catch the D off-guard, pass plays are slow to develop.

Neither center is physically imposing, but the other 4 were all huge. I still don't understand why we couldn't push the pocket in short-yardage situations. Soft.

Reactions: tarheel0910
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT